Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 3 - Chapter 2

The past present and future unfolds, of ancient God-like beings; immortals that live in our world still, as told from the point of view of "Reth", brother to the current ruler of Hell.

Chapter 3 - Chapter 2

Chapter 3 - Chapter 2
8:oo PM - October 4th - 2004

It was dark just as it had been when I went to sleep. Perhaps a lingering sunset lay outside but it was covered up with a board over the small broken window. Better that then let the elements and street people get in. I let my feet slide off the futon as I rolled over and sat up. I knocked over two bottles sitting at the end of the bed. Glancing at them letting last night register I acknowledged that yet again, nothing of interest had occurred. I stood up and the floor creaked, something sticky clung to my foot and I didn't bother to see what it was.

The kitchen yielded no food or coffee. Damn cupboards were empty, I wondered for how long. Each evening I awoke thinking, if there is food and drink here, I won't go out tonight, I'll just sit, and think. Meditate. But there is never food and there is never drink and my nights remain the same. Dead dull and foggy.

I threw on a pair of pants and a t-shirt. I could feel a chill clinging to me already and wondered if a hot bath would suit me better. But lethargism took over and abandoned that thought. Out I went again.

On arrival at my usual haunt, I found two men standing outside the building speaking with the bar tender. As I approached he pointed vividly at me and squawked something in Chinese. The men must have understood it and turned, eyeing me with steely glares. They came forward.

"He claims you come in here night after night. You've built up quite a tab yet never come up with a single part of what you owe. You either hand it over now..."

He gestured at the thin angry man seething through thick-rimmed glasses

"...or you have a few words with my fist"

I eyed him up and down. He looked threatening but to me was a small obstacle. A swift uppercut to the jaw and he stumbled back. His partner stepped towards me and I easily extended my leg to trip him. I brought my foot down on his back hard as the first lurched towards me to take a shot. I flattened my palm and hit him hard on his chest, winding him.

"Look, I'm gone from here. Chink's a pain in the @$$ anyhow, but you two come after me about anything again and I'll do more than throw you down."

I removed my foot, and slumped off, putting a cigarette between my teeth and going to light it.

My lighter was dead. I spat the cigarette into a puddle and kicked it.

"frack me."

This night couldn't get any worse if it tried.

"Excuse?"

I turned to see a woman standing a few feet away from me. Whether or not she had witnessed the whole scene, I wasn't sure. If she had, she didn't look shocked at all. She looked annoyed. Like I had somehow put a pock mark on her lovely evening stroll through this disgusting back lane.

I held up my lighter awkwardly and let it fall.

"Doesn't work"

I muttered.

For her small stature she was actually rather imposing. Her eyes were harsh and I could tell immediately that her thinness had come from exercise rather than not eating. A dancer? No, this one looked more likely to be a kick boxer. She had long dark brown hair which was currently decorated with hair clips that looked like she had pasted clockworks to her head.

"You look like you need a drink"

She said it tersely, but maybe she wasn't all that bad. She certainly knew how to speak my language.

"Oh do I ever"

"Been through the wars, hm?"

She raised an eyebrow and smirked a little, clearly poking fun at me.

"A couple"

I nodded and she dismissed it as a bad comeback.

"Where are you headed?"

"Somewhere a little classier than where you were by the looks of it"

"So, where are you from?"

"That isn't any of your business"

I stared straight ahead and decided not to make any more conversation until she had had some alcohol in her. Apparently she needed it more than I did.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment