Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 4 - Chapter 3

The past present and future unfolds, of ancient God-like beings; immortals that live in our world still, as told from the point of view of "Reth", brother to the current ruler of Hell.

Chapter 4 - Chapter 3

Chapter 4 - Chapter 3
4:00PM - April 7 - 2004

On entering the museum I was not terribly interested. Luc payed $18 for all of us to get in and the first image that greeted us was a stuffed ancient elephant. A hairy one. And to add to it, it wasn't even a real one, it was recreation because all they had of the old ones was bones. I read the plaque on dinosaurs and walked ahead, down a small hall turning immediately into a huge room with polished black floors revealing the largest skeleton I had ever seen in the centre of it. A Tyranasaurus Rex, I read. I did not believe it. Impossible something like this could have roamed the earth.

"I don't believe this"

"Amazing isn't it"

"Amazing horse dung maybe"

"What??"

"That's not real, I don't believe it."

"Reth... this is proven history, those are real bones they found."

"All in one piece?"

"No..."

"Then they've put it together wrong it must actually be multiple bodies"

Luc crossed her arms over her chest.

"No. Reth. Everything in here is true."

She turned her back and went to read a plaque I knew she must already have memorised.

"You're in trouuuble"

Jess sang out to me quietly as she walked by to go in another room.

"Luc?"

I stepped over behind her and put a hand on her waist. She jumped away like I had electrocuted her.

"You can't do that. Okay? Just... don't."

Stunned, I didn't even know what I had done wrong.

She followed Jess into the other room and I came along a few paces behind.

We walked through a whole room that had "teepees" and "log cabins" in it. I was very bored by this. A cozy home with a cat sitting on a rocking chair was never my image of happiness. Neither was a leather hovvle in the middle of the woods.

"I love this!"

Jess exclaimed as she sat down inside the teepee.

"I could live here. Under the sky with the stars and the grass and the birds..."

She smiled to herself and closed her eyes. Luc joined her inside and they fell into talking again.

I went into the next room and beheld... mock up crypts and sarcophogi. Tombs... hieroglyphs... I could read them, read their history. Like it was yesterday.... Cleopatra, Caesar... I had been alive in their time, so long ago. At a further end of the room was roman armor and weaponry. It was behind glass, perfectly cleaned in amazing condition with a plaque describing its material. I remembered dressing in this to kill. Sneaking into Tahira's room and kissing the jade that hung around her neck...

I felt dizzy. The room was clean and quiet and polished. No one was here. There was a small security camera in the corner of the room. Such life in all the items, hidden behind glass. I had to leave.

Luc found me in the next room, a forest, speaking of hunting through the ages, stuffed foxes and wolves and bears scattered throughout. I sat near a waterfall staring into its churning water, remembering bathing in a much larger one once.

"A bit much?"

She put a hand on my shoulder and knelt beside me.

"I'm sorry about earlier, I've just had... some bad experience. I have trouble being touched."

I nodded, watching Jess enter the room and be even more herself here than in the teepee room.

"Does anyone else ever come here?"

Jess looked up at me.

"Field trips, occasionally. Mostly Luc and I though. I think it's more calming here than a library"

"Field trips?"

"When schools take a whole group of students to an outside location to learn more"

"Oh"

Jess sat by the waterfall watching the water, making it swirl and bubble in unnatural ways, it splashed without her hands hitting it. Her powers were so calm. I barely wanted to use mine for fear of hurting someone. She had control.

The final room of the museum we went to was made to look like an old harbor, a huge ship was docked and sounds of seagulls, waves and wind were piped into the room. I went aboard the ship and remembered a time I sailed on one similar to it for days. A man stood on the ship making sure no one decided to sleep in it for the night. He droned on about the uses of each item on board. Thing I had known for years. It was so basic.

At last an announcement came on proclaiming the Museum was closing so we walked back into the fading sun.

"We could go for dinner if you like. I know a really nice Italian place, come on"

We would down a few populated streets. A festival was happening in a park nearby and relaxing music drifted over to us.

"That's called reggae music"

I nodded.

"Here we go- Tap and Grill"

Luc opened a door, we walked up a flight of stairs, and I viewed a semi-classy restaurant, mandolin music playing from somewhere with plants hanging from the ceiling.

It was all so civilised, the waiter came, Luc told me not to order so much meat as it would cost a lot. And prices certainly had sky-rocketed in comparison to what I was used to. Meat was such a staple I would think it would be very inexpensive. I settled on a steak and lobster dinner which Luc assured me was still the most expensive thing on the menu but it was alright just this once.

"Next time you're paying if that's the kind of taste you have"

She said after ordering a bowl of pasta and a salad. Jess had a small pizza.

We decided to walk home. The day really had been a good one. I didn't mind it as much as I had thought and didn't mind so much if there were more like it to come. A few blocks away from Luc's home, she reached for my hand and I let her take it.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment