Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - On Trial

Based on William Shakespeare's Play

Chapter 1 - On Trial

Chapter 1 - On Trial
THE TEMPEST

Written By William Shakespeare adapted by Malexos.

Prologue - On Trial

Judge: (sitting on high at the bench) who is the man, the man who has cast away all morals, and willingly given his soul to the most evil one? Surely it cannot be the man who stands before me now, finely dressed and mild-mannered!

Juror: [Stands up from seat] Do not be fooled by his appearance, your honor! This man has indeed demoralized himself by exchanging his soul for magicks most sinister! And there is a fine argument that his daughter is a Pagan as well! He does deserve a punishment of the highest caliber!

Judge: Silence, you! I am the judge therefore I am in command! Not another word out of you - I will decide his punishment if indeed he is deserving. As for his daughter, how can a lady as fine and gentle as this be in contempt of divinity? It's absurd!

Juror: As I stated earlier, 'twas only an argument, your honor.

Judge: Did I not just order your silence, Juror? Shall I try you in contempt of court?

Juror: [Quietly] No, your honor, a thousand pardons.

Judge: Good. Now who is the accused parties lawyer? I see no one but the accused!

Prospero: *Politely*
Excuse me, your honor, but I have chosen to represent myself, and my daughter Miranda.

Judge: Representing thyself? 'Tis unspoken of! I shall not allow it!

Prospero: With all due respect, your honor, who would want to represent a person such as myself?

Juror: So you admit your sin against state and divine order!

Judge: Silence, you! He was obviously stating that the accusations against him are too risky for a fine lawyer to stick his nose in!
Now, who will be representing the late plaintiff?

Lawyer: [Important-like] [Stands]
I will be representing Lieutenant-General-Colonel-Major-Captain James Edwards McGutherson XIV esquire, your honor, and if I may say so myself, he was a fine man.

Judge: Yes, I knew the Lieutenant well, even met his wife . . . a firecracker, that one . . . he will be sorely missed.
Any opening remarks before we begin?

Lawyer: No comment, your honor.

Prospero: No comment here, sir.

Judge: Good, then we may begin! Would anyone care to make the first argument?

Miranda: [Rudely] I would! How could you? Accusing a man like my father of witchcraft! 'Tis unjust! 'Tis unrighteous! 'Tis -


Prospero: [Shushes Miranda] Your Honor, please forgive my daughter; she is merely intimidated by the thought of the Punishments.

Judge: I will entertain it this time, but please keep your daughter silent from now on, hmm?

Lawyer: This man is the proven killer of Lieutenant-General -Colonel-Major-Captain James Edward McGutherson XIV Esquire, as he was the last person seen within his company!

Prospero: Your honor? A question, if I may?

Lawyer: Objection!

Judge: Overruled. Your question?

Prospero: I am on trial for contempt of divine order - That is correct, I assume?

Judge: Yes, your point?

Prospero: My point is, your honor, I am neither God-Fearing nor Devil worshiping, but an atheist, therefore I am not in contempt of divine order.
Secondly, I am accused of but witchcraft, not murder. Nowhere in my conviction papers does it say anything about the murder of Lieutenant-General-Colonel-Major-Captain James Edwards McGutherson XIV.

Lawyer: Esquire.

Prospero: [Frowns] Esquire.
Therefore, your honor, Miranda and I are indeed innocent.

Lawyer: Objection!

Judge: Overruled! The Defendant may continue.

Prospero: [Raises one finger, about to speak] I -

[A woman dramatically falls to the floor, and starts to writhe]

Woman: Aah! His magicks! It's Prospero! Make him stop! Make him stop!

Judge: Prospero! Stop it this instant!

Woman: Stop! Stop! STOP!!! Ooh, now the girl is doing it! AAAH!!!


Judge: [Bangs gavel] That's enough out of you, Prospero! I find both defendants guilty of witchcraft and sentenced to Death! Jared! Chain these two!

Miranda: But we're innocent!

[Enter a man with long chains at hand]

Miranda: [Worried] Father? What is to become of us? Will they really kill us?

Prospero: [Faking a smile] Don't you worry . . .. I'll get us out of here. I promise.

[Jared, the man with chains grabs Prospero, while another man takes Miranda]

Miranda: [Crying] I love you, father!

Judge: That's enough out of both of you! Take them to the Cells!


[Exeunt]



Bottom of Form

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment