Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 2 - Question.

Hiiragizawa-kun comes back frm england oooh.. interesting

Chapter 2 - Question.

Chapter 2 - Question.


“So why did you want to come over?” Sakura-san is giving one of her usual confused looks. “I mean, not that I mind having you . . .”

Somehow I don't think Sakura-san is ever as confused as she pretends she is. I think she's doing it to make us feel better.

“I wanted to talk to Yue,” I tell her, just in case she really doesn't know. “He seemed rather uncertain, and I thought I might be able to help. If you suggest it too firmly, he'll take it as an order, and if Touya-san suggests it too firmly, Yue will feel like he's ruining Yukito-san's life.”

“Ohhh . . .” Sakura-san nods vigorously. “Arigatou, Eriol-kun!”

She tugs me up the stairs, as if I need her prompting, and knocks on Touya-san's door. “Oniichan? Yukito-san?”

The door opens and Touya-san looms. He's very good at that. Yukito-san is in the background, sitting on the bed. “What do you want, kaijuu?”

“Oniichan!” Sakura-san pouts. “Eriol-kun wanted to talk to Yue-san. About you know. The thingy.”

Touya-san looks pained. “The thingy.”

“You know what I mean!”

He grins suddenly. “Of course I do. Okay, if he wants.” He holds the door open to let me in. I resist the urge to make a comment about how astounded I am by his generosity. I give them both a pointed look and wait for them to go away. Yukito-san is just blinking at me, probably wondering what on earth I can say to Yue to change his mind.

Touya-san looks between Yukito-san and I for a moment before he gets it, rolls his eyes, and tows his sister out of the room. She's protesting volubly. I'm not sure if she's protesting leaving or Touya-san dragging her. Most likely the latter. I wonder sometimes how someone so small can be so loud.

I wait politely for Yue to make his appearance, which he does after a long pause. “What do you want?” he asks, hardly gracious. I know that Yue isn't really fond of me, which is perversely amusing given how fond he was of Clow.

I try to look innocent, something I was always fairly good at. “Just to talk to you.”

He folds his arms and leans against the wall in classic Yue `I don't want to talk to you' posture. “About?”

“About you moving on with your life.” I have a suspicion that being blunt may be the only way to get through this alive.

He gives me a look. “Go away.”

“No. Your continual moping is going to drive the rest of us crazy.”

“Only if you have to put up with it,” he says. “Which you don't, when I'm being Yukito.”

I have to admit he has a point, and a rather good one. “It would really be preferable if you would just stop moping altogether.” I glance out the window, expecting to see a pig fly by. Yue? Stop moping? Right. That will happen on the day that Yamizaki-kun tells the truth. And Touya-san runs off with Li-kun.

“Why do you care?” Yue asks. “It's not as if it's any of your business.”

I raise an eyebrow. “Yue, if I didn't know you better, I'd say you might be bitter. But since I do know you better, I can say that you are definitely bitter. Clow didn't choose to die, you know.”

He looks away. “And you didn't choose to let me know you were back.”

I resist the urge to tear my hair out. “Yue, as we've gone over before, I'm not Clow. I have his memories, but that doesn't mean I'm him.” I take off my glasses and rub the bridge of my nose. “Are we clear on this point?”

“Yes.” Yue is giving me a glare worthy of . . . well, Yue is the king of glares.

“Then let's move on.” I'm glad Sakura-san didn't stay for this little heart-to-heart. “We all know you're upset, and we all know you feel betrayed, but hiding for the rest of your existence isn't going to help. Especially since you feel guilty about impeding Yukito-san's life.”

His glare, if possible, intensifies.

“So specifically, why don't you want to do this?” Might as well attempt to institute logic.

“I don't know how to behave in normal society.”

“You'll pick it up fast enough. Besides, Li-kun didn't either, and he's doing fine.”

Yue blinks at me, completely missing the joke. We'll have to work on his sense of humor.

“And I shouldn't impose on the Kinomoto family.”

“How is it imposing? You can have Yukito-san's room. And Kinomoto-sensei is already feeding you both; Yukito won't need to eat as much once you've separated and you won't need to eat at all.”

His glare is letting up a little, but his arguments are still going strong. We work through most of them, then we get to the real kicker. “Sakura doesn't want me around. She's frightened of me. She only wants to help Yukito.”

“Well, you are a bit foreboding,” I admit. “But acceptance comes with familiarity. The more you're around, the more Sakura-san will get used to you. But she is doing this to help both of you. She really does like you.”

Yue just looks away, obviously not believing a word of it.

“Yue, would you rather stay miserable or take a chance at ending up happy?”

He shrugs.

“You're just used to being miserable,” I say with a sigh. “I suppose it's safer that way. But you know, Clow wouldn't want you to be like this.”

I'll admit that it was not the nicest thing to say. Given that, however, who but me would have ever said it?

He's glaring again. “How would you know? I thought you weren't Clow.”

I resist the urge to thud my head against the wall. “I'm not, but I do have his memories, and he did care for you. He gave you the ability to keep on going; you should take the chance he gave you to be happy. Think of it as honoring his last request.”

“And how is having my own body going to make me `happy'?” he asks, his voice disdainful.

“To begin with, you'll have to face your problems instead of hiding from them.” Probably not the wisest thing to say.

I'm beginning to think Yue's face is going to freeze in his current expression, he's been glaring at me for so long. “I think that would make things worse, not help,” he finally says.

It's time to try a different tactic. “Do you like Sakura-san?”

He blinks. “She's the Mistress.”

“That's not what I asked. Do you like her?”

He shrugs. “I suppose.”

“Then it might be nice for both of you if you spent some time together.”

“I'm around her all the time.”

“No you aren't. Yukito-san is. How is Sakura-san ever supposed to get to know you if you're always hiding behind him?”

Apparently Yue can't think of a way to argue with that, because he's turning his back on me and looking out the window.

“So you'll give it a go?”

“If it's what Sakura wants.”

I give up. He's agreed, that's enough for now. We'll be able to make more progress after it's done.

***

For some reason, my sister didn't warn me that she was going to fall asleep, and it's all I can do to dart across the room to catch her before she gives herself a concussion. Actually, it looks like everyone could use a nap. Yue looks . . . well, if the word `woozy' can be applied to someone as dignified as Yue, now would be the time for it. Yuki is wobbling visibly. Even Hiiragizawa is pale, which is funny, because as far as I can tell, he didn't do anything. He looks displeased, too.

I, on the other hand, feel like I have a sugar high and caffeine high combined into one. Maybe add speed to that.

“It's your magical power returning,” Hiiragizawa explains, apparently able to read my expression. “That's why you're so . . . energized.”

I nod. “Why do you look like you've just run a marathon?”

“Disturbingly enough, I don't know.” Hiiragizawa sinks into a chair. “You might want to do something with the three of them.”

“I'm fine,” Yue is protesting, but he sounds pretty vague. Like he's going to fall over any minute now.

“Right, sure you are,” I say. “Why don't you go lie down?”

“Where?” he asks.

“Your room, where else?”

He blinks. “I have a room?”

“Obviously. You can have Yuki's. Didn't we tell you this?”

“Probably,” he admits.

“Then go, lie down.”

Yue attempts to wobble his way out the door.

“Second thought, let me help you.” He looks even more like he might fall down. Sakura would kill me if he hurt himself.

“I'm fine,” he repeats.

“I know.” It's probably safer to humor him. He lets me help him over to his room, however. “Lie down for a while and you'll feel better.”

Yue just blinks at me.

“I'm going to take care of the others,” I say, and I'm satisfied to see Yue lie down as I leave the room. His hair is trailing on the floor. We're going to have to do something about that.

Yuki is easily taken care of; he curls up on my bed and falls asleep. I'll bring him some food later. Hiiragizawa is still sitting in my chair, rubbing his eyes. I put Sakura in her own bed and bring up some tea.

“Here.”

“Eh?” Hiiragizawa looks startled.

“It's tea; you look like you could use it.”

“Oh.” He accepts it, thanks me, and starts to sip it. He really does look pretty awful.

“Maybe you should go home,” I say. I don't particularly like him, but he did do us a favor.

Hiiragizawa nods, stands, and then sits again. “Sorry,” he says vaguely. “Just a little dizzy.”

“Did you even do anything?” I ask curiously.

“I was just showing Sakura-san how to do some of it,” he replies. “It was nothing big. I'm sure I'll be fine in a minute.”

I decide to bring Yue his tea and wait to see if Hiiragizawa starts feeling better.

Yue's eyes are closed, but he looks up when I come in.

“I brought you some tea.”

“I'm fine.” He closes his eyes again.

“Drink the tea, Yue.”

“I don't eat.”

“Well, why not?”

He looks startled. “Because I don't need to.”

“That doesn't stop Kero, Spinel, or Akizuki. Drink the tea.”

He grudgingly accepts the mug and starts to sip it. He's trying pretty hard to look like he doesn't like it, but he's failing. Mental note: Yue likes green tea.

“I'm going to go check on the others,” I announce, and leave the room.

Yuki is still sound asleep, as is Sakura. I'll wake them for dinner. Hiiragizawa has taken his glasses off and is rubbing the bridge of his nose. “Feeling any better?”

He jumps. Never seen him do that before. “Much better, thank you.” He stands up and heads for the door, trips over his own feet, and catches himself against the wall. Never seen that before either. “Why don't I call Akizuki to come walk you home? You don't look very good.” Did I just offer to talk to Akizuki? What is my problem?

Hiiragizawa sits down again. “I'd appreciate that, thank you.”

Great. Now I have to talk to her.

“Moshi moshi!”

“Akizuki?”

“TOUYA-KUUUN!”

I wince. “Stop it. Can you come walk Hiiragizawa home? He's a little sick.”

“Ohhh . . .” She sounds incredibly disappointed. “You didn't want a date? I know a great little restaurant around -- ”

“Akizuki. Come get Hiiragizawa.”

“Will you be there when I come over?”

I sigh. “Yes, Akizuki, I'll be here.”

“'KAY! I'll be right over.”

Great. Just great. I hang up and go back upstairs. Hiiragizawa is regaining a little color. “She's coming,” I report.

“Thanks.” Hiiragizawa leans against the wall and looks tired. He has a sudden resemblance to Yuki when he kept fainting. It's strong enough to give me some chills.

Akizuki arrives in record time. She probably flew. Spinel is perched on her shoulder and peers at Hiiragizawa. “What's wrong? It's not like you to get tired.”

He shrugs. I get the feeling he has no idea what's wrong and doesn't really want to discuss it.

Akizuki, naturally, has attached herself to me. Fortunately, Hiiragizawa manages to pry her off and the three of them depart.

I actually think I'm worried about the kid.

Weird.

***

“I look ridiculous.”

Sakura-chan is muffling `hoe' noises.

“You look fine,” I hasten to reassure my previous other form. “Navy is a really good color for you.”

Yue surveys his T-shirt and khakis. “I still think I look ridiculous.”

“A T-shirt isn't ridiculous,” To-ya tells him firmly. “Why do you think it is?”

Pause.

“See, you don't even have an answer.” Touya's never really been the patient one between the two of us. Yue is dressed in his old clothes and a worn pair of dress shoes. I think they don't fit quite right, because Yue keeps shifting back and forth, but that just might be because he's far too used to bare feet.

“What about your hair?” Sakura-chan asks tentatively.

Yue turns a death glare on her. She turns rather pale. “What about it?” he asks.

“It's going to drag on the ground,” she says, cringing. “Could we braid it and double it up, somehow?”

“But then he'd look like a girl,” Kero observes.

Yue turns his glare onto Kero. Sakura-chan grabs him by the tail and crams him into her backpack again.

“I'll just braid it,” Sakura-chan said, running out of the room only to return seconds later with a hairbrush. Yue sends a suspicious look in her direction, but lets her braid his hair. “Okay, let's go!”

“Where are we going again?” Yue is trying to look bored. It's rather endearing. No one had ever told me that my other form was so . . . impressive looking, in an extremely exotic way.

“Clothes shopping,” Sakura-chan explains for the tenth time.

“To get more things to make me look ridiculous?”

“Yes. Now let's go.” Touya has him by the wrist and is dragging him out the door.

I'm interested to see how this is going to happen. Touya, fortunately, has his own car by now. “Shoes first,” Yue announces. I guess the ones he has really don't fit.

Yue apparently is a `cheap sneaker' kind of person. The thin canvas kind. I have a feeling that we're going to be buying him shoes often. He also refuses to wear socks. Maybe we can get him some sandals later.

“So what kind of clothes do you want?” Sakura-chan asks brightly.

He blinks at her. “My old ones?”

Sakura-chan face faults to the floor. “Hoe . . .”

“Yue, you can't wear your old ones out of the house.” Touya is trying to sound patient. It's rather amusing. “We need to get you some new ones.”

“I don't want new clothes.”

“Too bad,” Touya says.

“I think some appropriately sized jeans would be good.” It's definitely time to put my two cents in. “And some sweaters for when it gets cold. T-shirts and maybe some short-sleeved button-up shirts. No socks, right?” He nods. I cringe to mention underwear. I think Yue would bolt.

For the next hour, we tow Yue around the department store and bully him into trying things on. Well, To-ya bullies, I wheedle, and Sakura-chan gives him puppy dog eyes. Some things he flat out refuses to ever be seen in, but most of our choices are acceptable. He likes dark colors, but it makes him look rather like a vampire. I wonder, if we brought him out in the sun, would he tan . . .?

Near the end of the trip, Sakura-chan suddenly realizes the underwear quandary. “I'm gonna go get Yue-san a hairbrush and some elastics so he isn't always using mine,” she says. “Can you two . . . takehimovertomen'sunderwearandgethimsomestuff? Thanks! Bye!” She bounces away.

Yue and I blink.

“I wish she wouldn't do that,” Touya says, and heads off for another part of the store.

“You understood her?” Yue asks.

“You'll be able to after a while,” Touya promises us.

We meet up with Sakura-chan at the registers and take our purchases out to the car.

“Let's shop for a while!” Sakura-chan declares, and proceeds to drag us around for more than a while.

Yue is entranced by the pet store. The kittens, to be precise. “They're cuter than Kerberos,” he says. “Less sarcastic. More affectionate.”

“And they don't talk,” Touya adds.

I give him a Look, but Yue apparently doesn't realize that Touya was being sarcastic himself. “Also a plus.”

I make a mental note to buy Yue a cat later. I think I had better check it with Kinomoto-sensei first.

“Let's go get some lunch,” Sakura-chan says. We settle in a restaurant and order. Yue refuses to order anything, stating as usual that he doesn't need to eat. No glares from Touya can change his mind on this subject.

I get my usual sized meal, and discover halfway through it that I'm not anywhere near as hungry as usual. Odd, that.

“What is it?” Touya asks, noticing my bewildered expression.

“I'm not hungry.” I push aside the rest of the food. “It's rather . . . bizarre.”

“Eriol did mention something along those lines,” Yue says.

Nice of him to have told me that. However, this provides me with a singular opportunity. I take my takoyaki and place it in front of Yue. “Eat that.”

He looks at me.

“Go on. It's good.”

“I don't eat.”

“You do now.”

He glares at me.

I smile back.

I think we're going to be sitting here for a while.

Yue pokes at the takoyaki and finally, after what seems an eternity, starts eating it. Sakura-chan looks thrilled. My job here is done.

***


Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment