Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - One

Very AU; Scooby Doo(and related characters) in The Little Mermaid universe(the Disney movie version).

This is fic i've written specifically for this site. As mentioned above, this is my version of Disney's The Little Mermaid movie, except each and every character in it is either a main character from Scooby Doo, or was found in a Scooby movie, TV episode, book, comic book, etc.

I am not making any money from writing this story, I am merely a fan.

Chapter 1 - One

Chapter 1 - One
Author's Notes: Scooby Doo and all related characters and trademarks are copyright 2012 Hanna-Barbera Productions/Warner Brothers/Cartoon Network. I am merely a fan and am not making any money writing this.

This story, however is similar to the Walt Disney movie version of The Little Mermaid and includes similar dialogue, similar plot lines, and similar characters from the movie. The Little Mermaid and all characters and trademarks are copyright the Walt Disney Company.

Chapter 1

Once upon a time, beneath the calm blue waters of the Pacific Ocean, there was a kingdom unlike any other in the world. This kingdom was a place that few humans had ever seen and held things that any mortal had ever or will ever experience.

You see far away from the hustle and bustle of our human world, was a world that was magnificent and breathtaking beyond anyone’s comprehension. A world full of sea creatures of all shapes and sizes including fish, seahorses and who knows how many other beings that would fascinate any aquatic researcher or marine biology student.

Also in this aquatic world, were creatures that some mortals would consider mythical. However, if you ever ventured down beneath the waves, you would be shocked to see that the creatures that are considered mythical are in fact real life, living, breathing creatures. Well, living and breathing underwater, but they lived and breathed nonetheless.

The mysterious and mythological beings that so many people claimed to see over the years, and had been rumored to exist did in fact exist and lived a somewhat peaceful life under the sea.

While these creatures did live underneath the water and had to breathe H20 in order to survive, they shared a few features that humans have as well. Specifically there was a race of beings that lived deep underneath the waves that were in fact half human and half fish; this race of creatures made up a large portion of the ocean life and were spread all over the world’s oceans, unbeknownst to any humans of course.

These half human half fish beings were as vast in their appearances as humans were in their appearances truth be told. But these creatures weren’t merely anonymous beings who swam around all day and frolicked with the ocean life; they had feelings, thoughts and interestingly enough, some of them also had love lives as well.

The names that these creatures had chosen for themselves long ago were simple and to the point, but also descriptive as well as telling any people who laid eyes on them about their lives and well beings.

These magnificent, and very elusive creatures chose to go by the moniker merpeople. For those scholars that were curious, and wanted to know more about them, it was widely known to any of them who met with a human that mer was another world for fish, while people were well, whatever gender they were.

To be more specific, female members of this particular race, they were known as mermaids, for male members of the race meanwhile, they were of course known as mermen.

The appearances of the race of mermaids and mermen, or at least their human halves varied greatly. Some mermaids and mermen were very tall, some were very short; some had short hair, some had long hair, which varied in color of course and some were young, while some were old.

Within this underwater world, two particular mermaids live in peace and harmony with the ocean. These two mermaids live in a glorious underwater city which is also a royal kingdom and one of the most important places in all the seven seas; the kingdom is known as Coolsonica and is one of the finest cities anywhere in the ocean.

The kingdom of Coolsonica is mostly made of shimmering green glass which could be seen from miles away upon approaching it. Buildings of all shapes and sizes inhabit Coolsonica, including museums, libraries, schools and other places of importance; in the very center of the kingdom, there sits a palace made entirely of shimmering and beautiful gold.

The palace is home to the royal family of Coolsonica, which rules over the kingdom, but not with an iron fist as some would think. While the royal family does make all the laws, watches over the city and overall makes sure it is a safe place to live for all involved, one member of the royal family is somewhat stubborn and always loves to explore, despite her father’s wishes.

This member of the royal family is the princess of Coolsonica and as a result her life is a bit different from most of the mermaids in the kingdom. To be specific, this mermaid’s name is Daphne and she is the daughter of King George and Queen Elizabeth, the rulers and monarchs of the kingdom of Coolsonica.

All her life, Daphne has been considered by many, if not most mermaids and mermen in the kingdom to be one of, if not the most beautiful mermaid in Coolsonica. A fact that her father and mother are quite happy about as well; Daphne’s appearance is one that any princess would envy, specifically speaking she has red hair, topped off with a purple hair band that she always loves to wear, and which was a gift given to her by her father on the occasion of her 10th birthday.

Daphne also wears small bands around her wrists, something that she purchased for herself quite some time ago, as well as a seaweed scarf which she fashioned for herself from the large amount of seaweed around the palace walls. The red head also wears purple sea shells on her upper chest area as well, in addition she sports a light purple, almost lavender colored tail, which gives her great pride, as if being the princess wasn’t enough pride for her.

Also in the palace Daphne is joined by her four sisters, Daisy, a member of the King and Queen’s royal medical staff, Dawn, a very successful member of the king’s sea orchestra, Dorothy, a very successful sea horse racer and Delilah, a member of the king’s Sea Corps.

Daphne’s sisters always admonish her in that the fact that mostly she likes to explore the ocean with her best friend, another mermaid named Velma, whose parents are members of the King’s scientific counsel.

But whatever Daphne may do, she manages to ignore her sisters warnings and admonishments, while managing to still have a wonderful life as the princess of Coolsonica.

Daphne’s friend Velma is a brunette haired mermaid who sports specially made waterproof black horn rimmed glasses, which she needs in order to see, as she is blind without them. Velma also sports orange seashells on the upper part of her chest and an orange tail, not to mention she loves to spend time with the red head, considering the two of them are great friends and have been since childhood.

Velma’s parents, who are named Harold and Marilyn, mostly do scientific work for the king and queen. Specifically the brunette’s parents are in charge of doing research in case the King wanted a new building built in the kingdom, or if he wanted to see if there were any unfriendly ocean creatures out there. Whatever he wanted done in those and related fields, Velma’s parents were the merpeople to get it done.

Luckily for Daphne, the red head’s parents and the brunette’s parents are also good friends, which meant Daphne got to hang out with Velma and go exploring a lot, which the red head greatly enjoyed.

The princess has also enjoyed the fact that in the span of a few days of swimming, she is able to travel to the Atlantic Ocean, which means she gets to visit her cousins. One of them lives in the ocean near Scotland, while another lives in the ocean near France, both of them of course are as equally as nice as Daphne and love to have her visiting them.

All this aside, Daphne also has something else she loves to do, despite her father’s best efforts to keep her from doing it. One of the red head’s greatest loves is to not only explore the oceans of the world, but in addition she greatly enjoys exploring the areas of the oceans near large stretches of land.

While Daphne Blake and her friend have no problems whatsoever with being mermaids, and living in the ocean, there is something that the duo want more then anything else in the world, be it above the water, or below.

“Velma?” the red headed mermaid asked, as her purple tail slowly moved back and forth in front of a large rock she was sitting on.

“Yes Daphne?” the brunette replied.

“We’ve been friends for a while right?” Daphne queried.

“Sure, ever since were both young, well younger.” Velma replied, a little unsure of what her friend was going to ask.

“I get what you mean Vel. However, there’s something that’s been eating at me for the longest time.” Daphne responded.

“Hmm... knowing you, I can sort of imagine what it would be.” Velma remarked, with a smile as big as a clownfish.

“You know me all too well Velma. Although, I’m in kind of a sporting mood, so why don’t you tell me what I’m thinking?” the red head inquired, while her bespectacled friend stoked her fingers across her chin in thought.

“Hmm… I bet it’s something about exploring, since you love to do that.” The brunette thought, while trying to figure out what the red head had on her mind.

Daphne looked around the shimmering blue water with a hint of a smile on her face, which could only mean to her companion that she was fairly close to what the red head had in mind.

“So it is something about exploring; lucky guess I suppose. Now, the only question: what specifically were you thinking about in terms of exploring?” Velma asked, partly due to Daphne and partly to herself.

After a few minutes, the bespectacled brunette had a brainstorm; finally she had figured out what the red head was thinking about. Although, once she had figured things out Velma wished she hadn’t come up with a solution at all.

“Wait, I know what you’re thinking about. You want to explore the surface again, don’t you?” Velma asked, with a look of uncertainty on her face.

“Well…” Daphne replied, smiling broadly as she spoke to her bespectacled comrade.

“I knew it, I just knew it!” Velma said, now with a slightly worried look on her face.

“Oh? What do you mean you just knew it?” Daphne asked.

“Daphne Blake, you know that exploring the area, well any area near the surface for that matter, is a bad idea.” Velma replied, while trying to talk the red head out of what she was planning to do.

“Oh come on Velma, don’t be such a worry fish. After all, you’re the one who like science.” Daphne responded.

“True, very true. But I know for a fact that most humans are deadly, and most of them would like nothing more then to put mermen or mermaids like us in an aquarium, or a zoo or experiment on us, to figure out what makes us tick, and all that.” Velma replied.

“Velma, you know that’s not true. I’ve read some of the books you and your parents have, and you know that a lot of humans are really nice, and wouldn’t hurt a fly, much less a mermaid.” Daphne responded.

“Well…” the brunette replied, still uncertain about whether she wanted to join her friend in exploring.

“Come on Velma, haven’t you ever wanted to find out what’s out there, above the water?” Daphne asked, looking at her friend with what could only be described as puppy dog eyes.

“You know, come to think of it I’ve always wanted to visit some of the great centers of culture and science in the world. I mean the Coolsonica libraries and the collections of all the literature, books and papers down here can only go so far.” Velma replied, telling her red haired companion about some of her dreams.

“There you go Velma! That’s what I’m talking about; now, do you want to come with me to explore the surface, the next time I want to go up there?” Daphne inquired.

“You know, you should go into one of the Coolsonica law schools or something like that. You’re a very good persuader Daphne, and might make a good lawyer someday.” Velma responded.

“Thanks Velma. So does that mean you’re going to come with me?” Daphne asked.

“It sure does Daphne.” Velma responded with a smile.

“Terrific!” Daphne replied as she swam over to her bespectacled comrade, before laying a gigantic bear hug, or rather fish hug on her.

“Um, Daphne?” Velma asked, her voice strained a little bit.

“Yes Velma?” Daphne replied.

“Would you mind letting go of me? Or at least loosen your grip on me?” Velma responded.

“Whoops, sorry about that Velma. I’m just so excited that you’re coming with me!” Daphne replied, sounding as if she had won the lottery.

“Yeah, I can see that. So, when are we going up to the surface?” the bespectacled brunette asked.

“How about later this afternoon?” Daphne replied.

“So soon?” Velma inquired, sounding slightly surprised at what the red head was saying.

“Sure. Hey, why put off tomorrow, what you can do today?” Daphne remarked.

“Good point. So, should we go back to your house to get ready for our expedition?” Velma responded, with a question of herself.

“Expedition? Jeez Velma, ease up with the fancy words and the science talk for a bit.” Daphne replied, although she was joking a bit with her companion.

“I guess I saw that one coming.” Velma said, her eyes rolling a bit as she spoke.

“Don’t worry about it Vel. To answer your question though, we probably should head back to my parents house and get ready; actually, come to think of it maybe Scrappy would like to come along with us.” Daphne replied, while thinking about her pet dogfish, who was very bright himself.

“Hey, that’s not a bad idea Daphne. Scrappy might be a good guide; after all, if I remember right, he knows plenty about the surface world, and humans.” Velma remarked.

“Great idea Vel, as usual.” Daphne replied.

“Thanks, I got a million of them.” Velma responded, smiling as she looked quite proud.

“I bet you do. Now come on, let’s get back to my parents mansion and get ready to visit the surface.” Daphne remarked, while thinking about the adventures she might have on the surface.

Daphne Blake and Velma Dinkley took off like underwater rockets, swimming back towards the palatial estate belonging to the former’s folks.

Being the King and Queen of Coolsonica had plenty of benefits, which Daphne had been utilized by Daphne many times over. In addition to having a lot of wealth and power, another benefit of being the King and Queen was having a house that made a place like the Hearst Estate look like a flimsy shack.

As the red head and the brunette swam back towards the King and Queen’s mansion, which was really more like a palace then anything else, on the surface there was another rather palatial mansion, one that was home to another member of royalty and a few other rather interesting characters.

Daphne and Velma didn’t know it now, but very soon they would meet some of those rather interesting characters that resided on the surface, and before long those characters would begin to play in important part in the two mermaids lives, whether they wanted it or not.

Author’s Notes: Hopefully you guys and gals like this first chapter, and will keep reading my stories and favoriting them, reviewing them and everything else. I also hope this first chapter isn’t too short a length either; rest assured, the rest of the chapters will be a bit longer in length(or maybe not, I haven’t decided yet).

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment