Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 5 - The Nocturnal Dogs

This is a story about a beagle named Chance who runs away from home to find out what his purpose in life is. But can he make it through...alive?! Rated PG.

Chapter 5 - The Nocturnal Dogs

Chapter 5 - The Nocturnal Dogs


Chapter Five: The Nocturnal Dogs



“You are now leaving Nintendoville.”

Éclair was reading the sign she had noticed along the way. The sign was very ornate. It was golden with a bunch of loops and twirls to the shape, yet it still had a rectangular base. The letters were boldly printed in black, making the message clear and stand out among the landscape.

“I didn't know you could read,” Chance replied.

“Hmm, what? I didn't hear you.” Éclair was so busy admiring the work of art that she had failed to pay attention to Chance when he spoke.

“I said,” Chance began again with a sigh of annoyance, “I didn't know that you could read. How did you learn?”

“A friend of mine,” Éclair replied bluntly, not really getting into detail about it. “Come on, let's keep going.”

Chance obeyed. The two puppies were silent for a moment as their paws moved them across the ground. Occasionally, they would step on some of the red, orange, yellow, and brown leaves scattered across the ground, making crinkly noises as the two puppies moved on.

About ten minutes of this passed, when Chance broke the sounds of nature by stifling a yawn and asking, “Éclair?”

“Yeah Chance?”

“The sun is up now. Shouldn't we find someplace to sleep?”

“I guess you are right,” Éclair replied. “After all, I am tired.”

Well, that's no surprise, Chance thought. They had been traveling all night long for ten hours straight!

It was a long story. Éclair suggested that they travel at night and sleep during the day. Chance, of course, had questioned why they should do this. Éclair explained that if they weren't careful, humans would spot them and they would be taken back to their homes. Since there were fewer humans around at night, the chances of the two puppies getting caught would be slimmer if they traveled at night rather than at daylight. Neither of them was very excited about being nocturnal, but they would give just about anything not to get caught, so it was decided that way.

The beagle and the husky noticed a small acre of bare autumn trees up ahead, the perfect place to crash for the day and to hide from the humans. Éclair got a brilliant idea of gathering a pile of leaves and burrowing themselves into it in hopes of blending in with the scenery. After five minutes of the two pushing and shoving colorful leaves around with their noses and making a nest in the pile of leaves, the two dogs finally dozed off to sleep.

Meanwhile, Akira was just waking up from her slumber. She yawned and stretched out, making her feet almost touch the edge of the bed. She turned to look at her digital clock, the numbers 8:35 printed on it boldly in red. She yawned again and got out of bed. She did not see Daisy on her bed. This was normal since the Labrador usually woke up before Akira did.

Akira slipped down the wooden stairs and into the kitchen to prepare herself some breakfast. As she popped two slices of white bread into the toaster, she called out, “Daisy! Would you like some breakfast?” To her surprise, the Labrador did not show up. Akira just shrugged and waited five more minutes until she heard a Ding! And the pieces of white bread that were now light brown popped out of the toaster.

Akira took out a stick of butter from the fridge and began to slather some of the yellow stuff on her toast. Putting the butter back in the fridge, Akira grabbed a chair next to a small table, sat down, and started to munch on her toast.

When she was halfway done with her toast, Akira began to worry about Daisy. The Labrador, with her acute sense of hearing, would have heard the sound of the toaster and would have raced into the kitchen with hopes of a bite to eat. Akira finished off her toast very quickly and searched the entire house, calling for Daisy. With no luck, Akira stopped in front of a phone.

“First Chance, then Daisy, and now what?” Akira picked up the phone and dialed a few numbers on the phone. After ten seconds of silence, Akira said, “Yes, please. I would like to report two missing puppies.”

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment