Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 7 - Farewell, Friend!

This is a story about a beagle named Chance who runs away from home to find out what his purpose in life is. But can he make it through...alive?! Rated PG.

Chapter 7 - Farewell, Friend!

Chapter 7 - Farewell, Friend!


Chapter Seven: Farewell, Friend!



Chance opened his eyes abruptly. Thank God that was just a nightmare, he thought. His stomach then began to growl. When was the last time he had eaten something? He had forgotten how hungry he was. The beagle turned around to see his black and white husky friend curled up in the colorful nest of autumn leaves with her eyes closed, signifying that she was still sleeping.

I might as well get some breakfast for the both of us, he thought before staring up at the sky, which was stained with many different bright colors, showing a sunset. Or should I say, dinner.

After wandering around the small forest for a short time, being extra careful not to get lost, he saw a special treat that made him drool with excitement. Lucky me! There was a fat and delicious rabbit, standing there with its back facing towards the beagle. Chance licked his lips.

Chance, like all beagles, was known to have great hunting ability. He had never hunted before, but he knew that like all good hunters, he would have to be patient and silent. He creped closer to the gray rabbit until he was about four feet from his meal. The rabbit, which seemed to be lost in thought, still did not notice the beagle. Two seconds before Chance was about to pounce on the rabbit, both creatures heard a howl pierce the evening sky.

The rabbit turned around to see Chance, and he quickly scampered away. The beagle allowed his prey to escape, for he was more concerned about the creature that caused the howl than the rabbit.

Chance dashed back to the leaf nest to see that Éclair was sitting there, wide-awake.

“Were you the one that howled?” Chance asked. Huskies like Éclair never barked, but howled instead.

“Yep. I was worried about you, you know.”

“Well guess what? Thanks to you, I lost our meal, which was a plump rabbit. I could have killed it if it weren't for you.”

“Well excuse me for caring about you!” Éclair said in a huff.

“You wanna know what, Éclair?” Chance asked. “You're the reason why I am going to starve to death! Can't you keep still for just one minute?”

Éclair said nothing.

“If I am to starve to death, then I shall die, all because of you! You-”

“Shut up!” Éclair interrupted. “If you don't need me, then fine! I'll go by myself!” Éclair walked away, not daring to look back at the beagle that she had loved so much over the little time that they had spent together. Although she wanted to erase him from her mind now, Éclair knew that she would never forget Chance.

“I guess this is the end, Éclair,” Chance muttered, whom had not dared to look back either. Instead, he just whispered, “Goodbye.”


Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment