Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 8 - The Wandering Spirit

This is a story about a beagle named Chance who runs away from home to find out what his purpose in life is. But can he make it through...alive?! Rated PG.

Chapter 8 - The Wandering Spirit

Chapter 8 - The Wandering Spirit


Chapter Eight: The Wandering Spirit



Chance wasn't sure where he was now. There were only two words present in his mind right now: Find Daisy.

Judging by the golden sun that was just peeking its head slightly above the horizon, he must have been traveling all night long. Now he was tired, hungry, and…freezing to death. Strange, it felt so cold all of a sudden. That didn't matter right now to him though. He needed to save his dear sister before she would face a tragic death just like in that nightmare. He needed to prevent this from happening, just like that Shetland Sheepdog told him.

Chance, however, felt weaker and weaker as his paws moved him on. The coldness was starting to get to him. Every next step for him was like a challenge that could only get harder. His body was too stiff to move him forward any longer, and he collapsed on the dirt ground.





It seemed like hours before Chance opened his eyes. However, he could see the sun still rising, so he couldn't have been sleeping for too long.

“So, you're finally awake,” a familiar voice was heard. The little beagle turned his head and gasped. There she was, the sheepdog from his nightmare. The dog had unusually light gray fur, perhaps caused from her old age, and a thick tan stripe that went down the center of her face. However, unlike the image of her in his nightmare, she wore an aqua blue scarf around her neck.

“I…recognize you,” Chance said in a sleepy tone of voice. “Who are you?”

“Did you not see me in your futuresight?” The sheepdog changed the subject rather quickly.

“My what?”

“Your futuresight. Not many dogs have it.”

“Is it a disease or something?” The beagle questioned with a worried look on his face.

The old dog chuckled a little. “No, my dear. Futuresight is a special ability that very few dogs are born with. It allows you to predict the future when you are dreaming.”

“So are you trying to tell me that my sister will be murdered by that German Shepherd?”

“Not exactly, dear. The future isn't always correct since it hasn't happened yet. You can still change it.”

“How?” All of these questions were pouring out of Chance's mouth like rain pouring from gray clouds.

The old sheepdog, however, did not seem to mind answering the young beagle's questions. “You must hurry to the city that was in your futuresight, young one. Only you can save your sister from this tragedy.”

“Only…me?”

“Yes, my dear. Only you. You must fight the German Shepherd by yourself.”

“What about you?” Chance questioned.

“Alas,” the sheepdog began, “I am too old to fight. However, I can take you there. Follow me.” The sheepdog motioned for Chance to come with her.

Chance tried to move his stiff body off of the cold hard ground, but he could not. “I can't get up,” he told the sheepdog.

“Keep on trying to get up,” the sheepdog encouraged Chance by licking his face. “You must, my dear. Get up now.”

Right after the sheepdog said `now,' Chance immediately sprung up to his feet, as if from magic.

Just before the beagle and the sheepdog were about to begin their long journey, the old sheepdog grabbed her aqua blue scarf with her mouth and wrapped it around Chance's neck as best as she could. “There,” she said. “You're going to need it more than me.”

Chance smiled at her. “Thank you.”

“You're welcome. Now, let's get going.”

The journey seemed long. However, chats about their lives between the beagle and the sheepdog made the adventure seem a lot shorter and quicker.

“Well, we're here at last,” the sheepdog said as the two dogs approached a small cliff. Under this cliff was a city that was much bigger than Nintendoville, the town that Chance was raised in.

“Can you make it down by yourself?” The sheepdog asked Chance.

The beagle looked down. It didn't seem like too far of a fall, only about a few inches, really. “Yeah, I'll be fine.”

“All right, I'd better go,” the sheepdog replied.

Just as she was leaving, Chance shouted out, “Hey!”

The old dog turned her head to Chance.

“What's your name?”

“Spirit. But you can call me Granny.” The sheepdog smiled. “Hurry, though. Once the sun sets all the way, your sister will die unless you change the future.”

Chance looked up at the sky. Indeed, the sun was setting. “Shoot,” he replied, jumping off the cliff and landing on his feet gracefully.

Spirit watched as Chance ran away. “Goodbye, and good luck,” she whispered.


Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment