Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 10 - Coming Unchained



In 2005 Angel Grove and the Power Coins are out there, broken, awaiting their other halves. When Roki and Zita Repulsa take residence in the Palace on the Moon six ordinary young people find themselves in the middle of a Z Putty attack. They become Power Rangers. It is then up to them to complete the other halves of their coins and defend the world against Evil.

Chapter 10 - Coming Unchained

Chapter 10 - Coming Unchained
The same thing happened several times over the next few weeks. The male Green Ranger would arrive to challenge Taran while a monster and the Putty Patrol would attack elsewhere to distract the other Rangers. In the end, the Rangers would scrape by with a victory. Taran wasn't always so lucky.

Rei had finally convinced Taran to try the spell she'd suggested, but he'd absolutely failed. It was frustrating for her because she knew that with his family history he should be able to master it with some practice. He couldn't even conjure a spark of magical energy. She just didn't get it. Although, being able to split himself into three pieces, some form of Sora was usually there to help, Rei wasn't always able to be.

It was Zita's doing she knew. She was often targeted by large black feathered humanoid birds called Tenga Warriors. Luckily she also usually had a Sora around at these times. From what she remembered from being part of Zita, the supply of Tengas was nearly depleted. While this often meant she couldn't help Winter or Taran until they'd nearly beaten each other to a pulp, it also told her the spell must be having some effect. Otherwise, her interference wouldn't require the use of such a precious commodity to distract her. If only she could figure out what was keeping Taran from using his magic.

Tai had also kept his word to start training any of the Rangers who weren't necessarily  their strongest fighters. Just so these less than strong fighters didn't feel picked on, he tested everyone. He knew everyone had something to contribute to the team, but the ability to defend oneself and one's partner was a priority.

Perhaps not his best idea. After all, more than half the team were martial arts champions and demonstrated it. Even Autumn, though she never competed, always trained and kept up with her brother, who had a wall of trophies himself. Tori, who's parents and guardian had been Reavers, had been trained from a young age. The Kennedy's were multiple national champions in Karate. Rex's trophies included gymnastics, basketball and baseball but karate or kendo, both of which he learned from the same source as Tai, Grandpa. Taran admitted to being well trained in several different disciplines but did not compete since he had an advantage he couldn't turn off. Sora revealed his was a Master of a Kovarian style of martial arts no one on Earth would be familiar with. Manny had to join the extra training session. Though she'd taken karate when she was younger, she gave it up when being a cheerleader was a lot more fun. That was sometime in junior high. She didn’t' mind a refresher, specially since it helped her be a better Ranger.

That settled, Jason gladly volunteered his Dojo for their tutelage, but he couldn't always oversee their training personally. Fortunately for him, another ex-Power Ranger had wandered back to Angel Grove, looking for a job. Adam Park was a master of his discipline. Though a quiet and reserved, soft spoken sort of man, he eagerly put Billie, Wood, Nathan and Manny through their paces. He quickly shut down any complaints Billie may have thought of. Even she had to admit, however, she was getting better. She met the ground less than usual since training. Though she refused to relinquish her addiction to caffeine.

They were doing so well, he even entered them into the white belt round of the Angel Grove Teen Karate Tournament.

-x-

The Moon

The quiet of the Sea of Tranquility was shattered suddenly and violently. A swirling, glowing vortex opened with a crack. In what sounded very much like a giant leaf blower, two figures were discharged. The vortex closed with another crack. "After all these years you'd think I'd be used to this," said the male figure. He was large but not overly tall with golden tanned skin, slightly slanted black eyes and long black hair.

"That's because you always tense up. If you'd just relax and go with it, it wouldn't be so bad," said his companion, a slim athletic looking woman with slanted blue eyes, golden hued skin, and long curly hair the color wheat and gold.

They both dressed similarly. Black leather body suits with golden scorpion themed armor over it. They even wore headdresses reminiscent of scorpion tails. They were both young, barely not teenagers, yet they carried a lifetime of troubles around with them.

The young man grunted. "Do we have the right place this time?" he asked.

The young woman checked a device connected to her gauntlet. "The dimensional coordinates appear to be correct. The anchor is that way," she pointed. "I think we have it right this time, Griff. I think we made it home," she said.

"Then let's go say hi to the family," he said. Grifforzer and his twin sister Lammy began walking toward the Palace.

-x-

Palace on the Moon

Widow knew that the Green Ranger didn't have much left in him. He maybe had one or two more uses left. Currently he was chained up in the lab with his own consciousness. Widow did not want to deal with him, so she let him be for a few days with instructions for Finster to feed and water him. The entire palace was tense. Zita was bear dealing with her look-a-like and Roki had been quietly brooding or doing experiments in his own lab.

She was having a lie in when she felt the disturbance. She lifted her head off her husband's chest and looked around.

"What was that?" Roki asked, coming alert.

Widow scrambled out of bed. She quickly dressed herself. "That is powerful magic. Someone opened a portal. The twins have returned," she said and went out to the hall. Roki was not far behind, dressing hurriedly. Scorpina and Goldarr came out into the hall. Though Scorpina chose a warrior's path, she was not unfamiliar with magic.

Looking grumpy but perplexed, Zita left her room as well. "What is it?" she asked.

Scorpina clasped her hands against her chest. "My babies are coming home," she said.

Three knocks resounded through the palace.

Winter roused slightly at the sound. He blinked, frowning at the Putty Patroller bring him his daily ration of water and Bologna sandwich. At least he hoped it was Bologna and not moon rat. "What goes on?" he asked. He grimaced painfully as his skin literally crawled. Pieces of exoskeleton formed on his face and patches on his skin. The discomfort quickly passed. The only sound the Putty could actually make was a trilling sound that told him nothing.

Shaking his head, Winter took the food and wolfed it down. It wasn't enough. He'd seen Taran eat when Autumn wasn't around. A dry Bologna sandwich was nothing. Even after he finished the sandwich, his stomach growled. He knew whatever was going on, Widow would be by to either gloat or complain sooner or later.

He rubbed his wrists where the chain chafed his skin. He wasn't going anywhere. He'd find out eventually.

-x-

The Youth Center was brimming as usual on competition days. Autumn had everyone on hand. From the twins to Zack to Nanna Mai. Even Fox wasn't spared despite the cast on his lower arm and wrist. He pushed a cart around and bussed the tables. He almost burst out laughing when his new friends entered wearing their pajamas. Though he had to admit, Chloe made it work, Billie just looked awkward. And crankier than usual.

"Don't we all look spiffy," he quipped. "I didn't know we were having a sleep-over theme today."

"Don't try to be funny. It doesn't look good on you," Billie growled.

"Ouch, that stung," Fox commented.

"Ignore her. Adam cut off her caffeine yesterday and made her get a full night sleep. He doesn't understand she doesn't function without Colombian oil flowing through her veins," Nathan said and straitened his gi. He was mildly put out himself because Adam forbade from using a pink highlighter to spiff it up a bit. It wasn't like he wanted to color his whole belt pink.

Wood was bouncing, totally excited for his first proper match. Despite the fact that TJ had training, he'd kind of been his mother's baby. He took dance and ice skating rather than karate or baseball. His brother sometimes took pity on him and offered to show him a thing or two and help him prepare for matches himself. "Yeah. Be afraid," he said sagely.

Fox made a face. "I'm properly afraid," he declared and pushed his cart away from them.

Danny shook his head at them. "Don't listen to them, Billie. You'll do fine," he said.

Chloe snorted. "Look, you guys, I don't expect champions but please don't make me ashamed to say that I know youse," she said. She tightened her black belt and walked into the competition area to sign-in.

"What she said," Danny said and went to sign-in. "Son of a--"

"What's wrong?" Chloe asked.

"Tai's competing," he complained. "There goes this round," he muttered. The few times they'd face each other over the years, Danny wasn't able to defeat him.

"I thought he was dedicating to Kendo this year," she commiserated. Another name caught her eye on the sign-in sheet. "Look who else is competing," she said.

Danny grimaced. "I had it in the bag. Why?" he complained. Rex's name was on the sheet as well.

One of the officials was listening to him gripe. "Relax, honey. They're a degree higher than you are. You won't be facing either of them," she assured him with a smack of her gum and a flirty wink.

"Eh? When did they get higher than me?" Danny sputtered. That somehow seemed worse, especially since Rex didn't compete and Tai's main focus was Kendo.

"We were tested last June," Rex answered from beside them. The gi he wore was black with the Watanabe dragon seal emblazoned on the breast in red. Tai was nearby talking with an old Japanese man dressed in a loud Hawaiian shirt, loud Bermuda shorts, white socks nearly to his knees and tan sandals. He wore the same uniform. "Besides, I'm tired of the disrespect just because I don't have a karate trophy," he said with a grin.

Danny snorted. "You still ain't gettin' one. My moneys on Tai," he said.

"I'll take that bet. How much," Chloe said. She gave Rex a wink. She had to stand up for her partner after all.

"Twenty," Danny said and held out his hand.

"It's on like Donkey Kong, bro," she said and shook his hand firmly.

"Why you guys really competing?" Danny asked.

"Grandpa asked us to," Rex answered. He nodded toward a Japanese man of a similar age to Grandpa but he wore a crisp suit. "Apparently Sensei Fukinawa there and Grandpa have history. From what I understand, back when they all came to America, he and Grandpa's brother were friends. They had a falling out when Fukinawa hit on Grandpa's lady. In a slightly forceful way. Grandpa beat the crap out of him. All before they got off the boat. Fukinawa vowed vengeance and settled in Stone Canyon. Grandpa settled here and didn't give him a second thought."

"What's the moral of the story?" Wood asked. He, Manny, Billie and Nathan had come to sign-in as well when Adam and Manny arrived. They'd wondered over when they saw Rex was competing.

"Well, Grandpa may have put Fukinawa out of his mind, but the other man never forgot. He'd trained his kids and now his grandkids. He's been wheedling Grandpa for years about Fukinawa Karate being stronger than Watanabe Karate. Basically talking smack because his grandson, er that charming one there," he nodded toward a nerdy boy in a white gi attempting to pop one of several pimples spread across his cheeks, "has been winning several national comps the past few years. This year he issued a formal challenge. Fukinawa Karate," he nodded again toward the pimply kid, who appeared to have several team mates, "versus Watanabe Karate. Which where we come. Our objective: make Fukinawa wish he'd took his licks like a man and never challenged the Watanabe again," he explained.

"You really saying that pizza face is really the same degree as you guys?" Chloe asked.

"Yep. You guys will be facing some of the others. I know you're all wearing the Scott logo but--"

"'Ey, no worries here. We'll make them wish they'd stayed home in Stone Canyon," Danny said. Chloe nodded.

"We'll do our best!" Wood vowed.

"We sure will. I know one of those girls. She thought she was hot stuff and got all up my business in a cheer comp last month. We shut down her team then, we'll do again," Manny declared and straightened her yellow belt, the same as her perceived rival.

Nathan and Billie looked uneasy but Nath chuckled. "Did anyone hear the cat growling?" he asked.

Billie rolled her eyes. Manny laughed. "Sure did," she agreed.

Tai finally finished talking with Grandpa and walked over to them. "I see Rex has been spreading tales," he said. Rex grinned and gave a shrug. "I know this probably goes without saying but," he took a deep breath, "No levitating, no leaping, no turning invisible, no super speed, no forcefields, no densing, no super strength and no..." he looked at Rex perplexed. Though Beta Z and Billy had been testing the limits of their genetic mutations, it still surprised him that Rex didn't have one.

Rex chuckled. "No blinding smiles," he finished. He was slightly confused as to why he didn't have an ability associated with his Power Coin like everyone else.

"Right," Tai agreed.

"The Fukinawa Dojo is not to be taken lightly," Adam said as he joined them. He'd heard part of the tale, but an official had taken his attention a way to ask about Jason, who was supposed to give a demonstration at the start of the tournament. All eyes turned to him.

"That's right. You're originally from Stone Canyon. You've faced them before?" Tai asked.

Adam nodded. "Rocky, Aisha and I often butted heads against Yousuke Fukinawa and his team mates. That's Fukinawa-sensei's eldest grandson," he explained. "It is perhaps a good thing he did not know I was teaching here. He may not have resisted coming. I'm surprised he didn't," he admitted. "Don't worry so much on beating Fukinawa. Concentrate on doing the best you can," he encouraged his novices.

An official announced that the opening ceremony will begin soon and that spectators and competitors are to take their seats.

"That's you, rookies," Jason said, coming over. He'd finally made it. Though his students and Adam wore white, he wore red with his red and gold belt on display. Though he hadn't trained Chloe and Danny, when they'd returned to Angel Grove, they signed up at his Dojo before they even knew the true role he'd play in their lives. They'd been sensei-less for a couple of years now, since their old teacher retired to Florida. The group of Scott competitors and the two Watanabe competitors took their seats, A small but loud cheer went up from the spectators for them. Every Ranger that wasn't competing or working was there, even a few retired Rangers. They could also see Beta Z in the crowd.

"Yeah, that's not helpful at all," Billie said, feeling sick.

"Danny's right. It'll be OK, Glitch," Nathan assured her and put a hand on her arm, giving it a small squeeze. She managed a small smile.

The official announced Jason Lee Scott and the opening ceremonies began.

-x-

Grifforzer and Lammy were met with the open arms of their mother. Then she crushed them in a maternal hug.  She didn't care that they'd traveled around dimensions for what amounted to fifteen years to them and they arrived home only a few weeks after they disappeared thanks to an inter-dimensional anchor that someone had affixed to the original portal. She was just happy to have her babies home.

Goldarr, too, was pleased with how they'd turned out. He enjoyed hearing about the way they had earned a living, bounty hunting inter-dimensional criminals all while following the faint traces of the anchor. Widow was impressed with Lammy's use of magic at such a young age. Lammy didn't explain to them that though being sucked into the vortex was an accident, she'd created it on purpose. It suited her to allow everyone to believe that it was all unintentional and she was just randomly reading spells.

After a meal with the family, they'd been shown to rooms they could use.

Zita was feeling very strange. She retired to her room after giving Roki a handful of Tenga pods.

Griff grew bored rather quickly and wondered who around there could give him a decent spar. Lammy was exploring and found the lab. "They still you, I see," she commented when she saw Winter chained up sitting on the floor and dozing. He snapped to attention when he heard her voice. He blinked several times, wondering if he was hallucinating.

Armor clinking slightly as she moved, Lammy went to Widow's work station and checked out her notes. She turned to see him watching her. "Cat got your tongue?" she asked.

"Hard to speak," he said slowly. His skin spasmed again. Lammy watched the exoskeleton ripple over his face. His hair was too long and he was in serious need of a shave. "Who you?" he asked.

She squatted down to be more on his level. "Don't recognize me? Well, true I was a lot smaller then," she said and gave a slight smile. "I remember you as being a lot bigger," she added.

He stared at her for a moment, then remembered the tousle headed blond toddler and her pesky dark haired brother. "Lammy," he said.

"Hmm, I wonder if Widow realizes how much you absorb even in your gorilla-like Kill-Tarantules state," she said.

"What you want?" he asked. "Want a turn?" he asked and looked at where a syringe filled with the green liquid awaited Widow's whim.

She followed his gaze. She gave a shudder. "Not me. I abhor needles," she said. She heard footsteps approaching.

Winter heard them too. He knew by the sound of the gaits that it was Roki and Widow. Fear curled his gut. They were finally coming for him. "Last time," he said. Widow hadn't made it a secret that this was probably the last treatment he would survive.

Lammy glanced at him. "I know. Good bye, Green Ranger," she said and left the lab before Widow and Roki arrived.

"This is your last chance, Green Ranger. I've decided to double the dose in hopes that you'll finally defeat Tarantules. If not, well, one less Ranger to worry about," she said and approached him with the syringe.

Winter didn't bother to respond as she doped him. He gave a painful spasm as he lost himself.

Roki watched her. He turned when Griff approached. "Hey, can I play with that?" he asked, pointing toward what used to be Winter.

Roki considered it. "Fine, but don't tire him out. He has a purpose," he agreed. He made his Red Orb topped staff appear. He tapped it on the floor. Both Griff and the Green Ranger appeared in the Dark Dimension.

Roki was torn between watching and seeing about Finster's progress with the new monster. "What are the Power Rangers doing?" he asked Widow.

"Let us see," she said and drew a circle with her finger in the air. "I spy with my little eye, Power Rangers," she intoned. The portal rippled to reveal the Karate Tournament. They watched in great amusement as Billie lost her first match. "Unfortunately, she did rather a lot better than I would have thought," Widow said thoughtfully and waved the portal away.

Roki nodded. "I'd better go yell at Finster to hurry up," he said and left the lab. Widow tapped her lip. She left to check on Zita only to be met with an ardent command to leave her be.

-x-

The Green Ranger and Griff sparred while Lammy watched. She shook her head. "True he has the strength of a Rachnaemance and Wolzyrd but he's not very bright right now," she said.

"Easy for you to say," Griff grunted as he rubbed his jaw where the Green Ranger landed a blow.

Lammy shook her head. "It's true. Tarantules probably holds back for fear of harming his friend. Widow is doubtlessly banking on this, but perhaps you should give him a dose of what he would truly be dealing with should Tarantules choose to show his true strength," she prompted.

The Green Ranger paused and looked at her. He didn't really have but a vague idea what Widow and Taran were. He assumed something like a combination of Scorpina and Goldarr, strange as it may seem.

Griff grinned. He began to grow and change shape. He grew extra appendages, an exoskeleton, monstrous features. He looked a lot like an enormous black scorpion with a humanoid torso sticking out of it with something resembling a face with pincers. He also half feathery black wings and golden armor around the chest area and a helmet.

"Well?" Lammy prompted. The Green Ranger charged but quickly had to avoid a whipping scorpion tail.

"Enough!" Widow barked. "I said not to tire him out," she scolded her little brother. Griff shifted shapes again but pouted. It was just getting fun. "It'll be a cold day in hell before Tarantules revealed his monster form to his human friends," she said with a smirk. "Go rest," she told the Green Ranger and snapped her fingers. He disappeared. Widow looked at her siblings and smiled. "It is nice to have a brother who embraces his legacy, however," she said and disappeared in a wisp of smoke.

Lammy sighed. "You hear that?" she asked.

Griff shrugged. "I don't mind sticking around til I wear out my welcome. Are you sure about this?" he asked.

Lammy nodded. "I'm very close. I don't care about Widow and her schemes. They're in my way right now," she said. "Let's go get lunch," she said and disappeared in a golden puff of smoke. Griff did not consider himself a magic user, but that was one trick he did utilize and did so now, following his sister to find food.

-x-

Though Billie lost her match, she thought she did rather well and congratulated herself by going to the Juice Bar to get an extra large iced coffee. She rejoined the others to watch the remainder of the match. Nathan did well, winning his match. So did Wood. There weren't very man white and yellow belt matches in the competition. Most of teenagers here were green and above. She pulled a PDA from the bag she had with her.

"At least pretend to be interested," Nath said, jostling her arm.

"I'm not turning into Hilary Swank over here. I'm doing this one reason only. To help the team, specifically my partner," she said.

Nathan huffed and bit the inside of his lip.

Manny ended up being the first to face a Fukinawa. She'd sweep-kicked the Skeleton Ranger when she was out of practice. Some stuck-up little cheerleader wannabe was no contest.

Tai felt his wrists buzz. He excused himself and walked off alone. He twisted his wrists and made his cuffs appear. "Tai here. Go," he said.

"A monster and Putties have appeared in downtown Angel Grove. A large clutch of Tenga Warriors are joining them," Beez's voice said.

Tai hissed. "All right, Buzz Lani, Rex, Billie, Manny, Tori, Autumn, Taran and Sora. No sign of Winter?" he asked.

"Negative. Ay yi yi. I'm afraid he'll just show up when Taran does. What about Rei?" she asked.

"Where Sora goes, Rei goes," Tai said drily. Now he could hear the monster alert going off in the city. He watched the chosen Rangers begin slinking off. His and Rex's matches would be two of last ones for the day. He debated the merits of going as well, but he trusted Rex and Lani to handle things. "Let me know if things get out of hand," he added.

"Will do," Beez assured him.

He made his cuffs disappear and he rejoined his group. Grandpa looked at him. "Fukinawa-san is not more important than saving the world," he said. Though he didn't often mention it, Grandpa was well aware of the Ranger goings-on with his grandson. Akira Watanabe had crafted Power Ranger blades for many years now, a fact that Tai only just discovered.

"It's less Fukinawa-san and more not drawing attention to everyone leaving at once during a monster crisis," Tai explained.

Grandpa nodded. "My grandson has grown wise," he remarked.

-x-

Buggle-Boo was a bug-like monster made to Roki's specifications. No more silly monsters from Finster's television rotted mind. She has a specific purpose. She was queen bug. She was to lay eggs on humans. These eggs would then drain the humans of their life-forces and hatch into more bug-like warriors for his army. Her thorax glowed and from between her mandible, she'd spit her eggs at unsuspecting people. They were maybe the size of a baseball, but once attached, a web-like cocoon would form around the egg and tendrils would wrap around their victims, leaching their life force.

The humans instinctively tried to run from this process. If it weren't for th Putty Patrol holding then steady, she may have lost some of her babies. She couldn't handle that. She looked around her at all her eggs feeding off people and cooed. "Rock-a-by babies," she trilled. "More humans for my babies!" she shouted at the Putties. "Don't eat my babies!" she said shrilly at a Tenga Warrior who was trying to do just that.

The Tengas squawked at her in agitation. "I said no!" she said and shot a molten gob of something disgusting at one of them. It stuck and the Tenga burst into flames. The other little clutch huddled together and squawked at her fearfully.

The Putties rounded up a few more victims for her, so she forgot the Tengas temporarily. Her thorax began to glow. She started spitting the eggs out but they never made it to their intended victims. They were blasted out the sky by multicolored blaster shots. She turned to see seven Power Rangers holding Power Blasters. "You killed my babies!" she shouted. "Putties attack!"

"Billie, analyze those things attached to the people, see if thy can be safely removed," femme Red told her. She holstered her Blaster and summoned her weapon. "Power Sword!"

"Right," femme Blue agreed. She took cover and made her holographic computer appear and began to analyze the egg sacks attached to the hapless victims.

"Do your little trick, cover her, cover us and cover Taran in case Win shows up," male Black told Silver. He holstered his Blaster and summoned his weapon. "Power Scythe!"

"Right," Silver agreed and split himself into three. It was easier now than it had been the first time but he could only multiply himself twice. Billy was working on figuring out why. One of him went to cover Blue as she analyzed the eggs. He kept his Blaster handy and blasted any Putty that got too close since only one of him at a time could wield the CeratoSword.

Pink and Yellow holstered their Blasters and summoned their weapons.

"Power Fans!"

"Power Grips!"

Pink whirled, spun, kicked, and occasionally her helmet front would pop open so she could knock back a Putty with her shriek before kicking it firmly in the Z. Yellow zoomed through, taking off chunks of clay-like hide before returning with a solid blow to the Z.

Green and Gold holstered their Blasters and summoned their weapons.

"Power Staff!"

"StegoMace!"

"CeratoSword!" One of he Silvers summoned his weapon and jumped into the clutch of Tenga Warriors. He was frankly getting sick of dealing with them.

"Head's up. Nathan's on his way," Tai informed them mere moments before the male Pink Ranger arrived. He was just in tiger kick a Putty trying to sneak up on his partner.

"Ugh, stupid things. Thanks for having me back," she said.

"Any time," he assured her. "Power Bow!" he jumped, levitated and began laying down cover fire.

"Watch out!" Rei's warning was unnecessary as Gold ducked, making the male Green Ranger soar over his head rather than landing the kick to it. He swung around, his hands morphing into long glove covered claws. He rushed forward, slashing at the Gold Ranger.

"This is so bad," Rei murmured. She'd only just managed to get away from the Youth Center. When they saw her, the Tenga Warriors converged. "Drat!" she summoned a staff and attempted to defend herself. "Try to subdue him!" she called to Gold.

"I'll give it my best shot," he muttered. He allowed his own hands to grow into the claws. "Old man Jenkins' grouchy old bull was tearing up my Pa's cornfield one day. Let me show you how I handled that," he said and let his StegoMace disappear. He jumped at Green. The two of hem grappled. Even he could tell that the other man was juiced more than usual.

Annoyed by everything, Buggle-Boo attempted to spit eggs at the Rangers. One almost connected to the femme Yellow but her partner appeared just in time to blast it.

"Ew, that would have been so gross," she complained.

"The rest of us are on our way. Officials are calling a recess due to the battle," Tai said.

"We could use the help," femme Red said and decided it was time to distract the monster. She ran forward and swung her sword. Buggle-Boo block with one of her blade-like arms.

"You don't understand a mother's love for her children. You weren't hugged enough as a child," Buggle-Boo spat.

"I was hugged plenty," she responded and swung again. The monster blocked. They exchanged a volley of blows and blocks.

"Need help?" the male Red and the rest of the Rangers arrived.

"Thanks," she said. He nodded and drew his Sword and went after the monster. She proved to a formidable opponent.

"I got it! The eggs are all connected to her. If we get her, they'll die," femme Blue suddenly announced.

Buggle-Boo suddenly shot molten snot globs at the Red Rangers, knocking them back with explosive force. Other teams ran up to engage the monster but were met with similar fates.

"Easier said than done, apparently," male Blue remarked. He sweep kicked a Putty and jabbed his Power Lance into it's Z.

Female Black clobbered a Tenga Warrior that got a little too close to her with the Power Axe. "Ugh, they're so nasty," she grumbled. She shrieked when two more grabbed her. She made herself to heavy for them. Her partner ran up and quickly used his blade to make feathers fly.

Gold and male Green were still grappling.

Two newcomers were watching the fight. Griff glanced at his sister. "Are you absolutely sure?" he asked.

"I need him to have his magic. If saving the Green Ranger is a side-effect, so be it," she said. She made a piece of parchment appear in her hands. She'd researched this spell for years and wrote it out in painstaking detail.

Griff snorted. "Right. Just a side-effect, huh?" he asked.

She smacked him. "Be quiet, I'm concentrating," she said. Suddenly the paper burst into flames and was a pile of ashes in moments. She raised her hands and blew the ashes toward the Gold and Green Ranger fight.

Gold had finally got a upper hand on Green, flipping him over and pinning him. He raised a hand to hopefully knock him out but his world suddenly went sideways and the spell Rei had been trying to teach him flared to life in his hand. Without hesitated he smashed the white energy into the Green Ranger's chest.

The resulting shock-wave of force meets force knocked everyone off their feet, friend and enemy alike, except the twins, who were far enough away. There was silence until Winter's morph failed and he began gasping for breath, his skin crawling with exoskeleton patches. Rei regained her feet and ran over to them. "We have to get him to the Medi-lab, now!" she said. Gold nodded and teleported the three of them.

The female Green watched them go, but she knew they needed her help here. She saw the the duo nearby. They gave her sardonic waves before disappearing.

"Now! While she's down!" the male Red said as he got to his feet. "Mega Power Cannon!" Six Rangers came in close. They combined their weapons, all of them, to form a rather large, multi-barreled cannon.
The male Red Ranger aimed the Cannon. "Fire!" the male Red pulled the trigger. Six points of energy swirled into the monster and exploded through her. The monster exploded.

Egg sacks began to shrivel up and fall off as people began waking up.

-x-

In the Medi-lab Rei was bossing Taran around like a general. "We have to pull the toxins out. If we can stabilize the mutation here and now, he'll make it," she said. "Hold your hands over his chest," she said. Following her lead, he did just that. She put her hands on top of his. She linked their magical energy. Wisps of dark, dense black energy began to seep from his very being and congeal into an oily ball of magic. Win stopped gasping and shaking after a while and fell unconscious.

Kat and Billy were nearby. Both were trained in medicine, they were monitoring Win's vitals. Billy hissed. "A lot of damage has been done to his internal organs, not to mention the changes in his DNA," he said.

"The changes to his DNA is what's going to keep him alive," Taran said, his voice strained as he continued to pull Widow's magic out of his comrade. Finally, Winter's vitals stabilized. Floating above him was a basketball sized sphere of black magic. "Now what do we do with that?" he asked.

"Neutralize and destroy," Rei answered. "Direct your energy at it," she instructed. Taran nodded and did just that. In time the oily ball began to shrink, turn gray until finally it popped out of existence. The two of them staggered back, breathing heavily.

"He's going to be OK," Kat said as she studied the readouts they were getting now. "But you too look exhausted. Both of you, into beds. Now," she ordered. When they tried to protest, she overrode them. Finally they relented.

-x-

Buggle-Boo came back together and grew enormous. "I will destroy everything like you destroyed my babies!" she crowed. She began spitting globs of molten spit that destroyed anything they landed on.

"I think I'm too nauseated to drive the Zord," female Black said, feeling queasy at the disgusting monster.

"Don't worry. I got this. We ready, fearless leader?" male Black called.

"More than," male Red agreed. "TyrannoZord!"

"MastoZord!"

"TriceraZord!"

"PteroZord!"

"SaberZord!"

Silver had recombined. "I have this. Go," he told female Green. She gave him a grateful nod and teleported to the Command Center to check on her brother. "CeratoZord!"

The Zords began appearing from various hidden placed around the city. They were bulky yet eerily realistic. The Zords teleported their chosen pilots into their cockpits. The male Red, female Blue (much to her surprise), male Black, male Pink, and female Yellow.

The silver CeratoZord appeared, a small armed dino with a strong tail. Silver was teleported to a cockpit.

"Activating Megazord Configuration," he said and pressed the red button. The Zords began assembling together. The SaberZord and the MastoZord formed legs and feet. The TyrannoZord formed a torso while the PteroZord and TriceraZord formed arms. A helmeted head turned out of the TyrannoZord. The CeratoZord broke apart to form armor, a helmet and the tail compressed, flattening into a giant version of the CeratoSword. The pilots appeared in the shared cockpit. "Legendary CeratoMegazord!"

"Let's put this mama bug out of her misery," Yellow said. They were knocked back and their consoles sparked when the bug hocked a molten spit-wad at them.

Blue was using the internal computer to analyze the giant mother bugger. "We have to get her in the abdomen," she said as they were rock again. Every time they swung the CeratoSword, the big bug would use her arms to block and counter-attack. She grimaced and took control of her arm. The TriceraZord's three horns suddenly stood and with a short jab, they sunk into the abdomen of the bug. Her console nearly shorted out as black molten gunk covered the arm eroding it slightly. The Megazord stumbled back.

"Ohh, girl, Holly's gonna kill you," Yellow said.

Red gave a grim smile under his helmet. "It's the opening we needed though."

Silver nodded. "CeratoSword Quicksilver Slash!" The Megazord powered forward and slashed th with the CeratoSword several times then jumped aside. There was a pause, then all the slash marks riddling Buggle-Boo began to glow as she slowly slid apart before exploding.

"The Putties and Tenga are cleared out," Pink said, looking below them.

"And we have a tournament to get back to," Red acknowledged.

-x-

Palace on the Moon

Widow seethed. "How did it happen?" she demanded, her voice echoing through the halls. "How did he break the spell binding his magic? Grandmother bound his magic herself!" she ranted. Her grandmother Arachnea was one of the most powerful sorceresses in all existence.

Roki watched her rant. He was deeply troubled but he didn't understand why she was so upset. She turned toward him. "You don't understand, do you?" she asked.

"Forgive my ignorance, my love," he said.

"He has the magic powers of my family but he is good. Do you know what kind of long reaching consequences that could have? The last sorcerer with that kind of good magic spent thousands of years in a tube and when his power was released, turned half the galaxy's best do-badders into do-gooders including your mother," she hissed.

Roki felt ill. "Oh," he said. "But if your grandmother cast the spell, then how could have broken it?" he asked.

"He couldn't. Not alone and not even with that person's help." Widow brooded. She stormed off to find Lammy and Grifforzer eating again. They looked up when she stormed in. "What did you do?" she demanded of them.

They looked at her blankly. "Do?" they asked.

"Don't be cute with me. You two arrive on he same day as Tarantules' magical binds are undone. Do you take me for a fool?" she demanded.

"You are anything but a fool, Widow," Lammy assured her. "Judge me. Do I have the power to undo one of grandmother's spells?" she asked.

Widow narrowed her eyes. It was true. She did not sense that Lammy had that kind of power. Griff had even less. She turned on her heels and left them. She'd get to the bottom of this somehow.

Lammy watched her go and popped a piece of meat into her mouth.

"So how did you do it?" Griff asked.

"I don't have the power to undo grandmother's spells but I could poke a hole in it long enough for Tarantules' own power to do it," she answered and stood. She stretched. "I'm turning in. It's been a long day," she said and walked off.

Griff grunted. He finished his meal and retired as well. He was awakened some hours later by someone entering his room uninvited. "Zita?" he asked.

His question was met with a giggle. "Shh. Not quite and we don't want to wake her either. She is not going to pleased to see me, I can tell you that," said the wicked little voice.

He was not awake enough for this. "Then who are you? What do you want?"

The girl, who looked an awful lot like Zita to him, except her hair was shorter, moved toward him. "My name is Moriko but you can call me whatever you want. I need your help. You can't let her destroy me when she discovers me," she said. There was apprehension in her face but no real fear.

"And, what do I get in return for my protection?" he asked, raising a brow.

Moriko grinned now and leaned so close to him their lips nearly touched. "Whatever you want."

-x-

For the next two days the Karate tournament went on. In the end, Ringo Fukinawa was defeated by Rex rather than Tai because of how the tournament matches were laid out. Rex also walked away from the Tournament with his first karate trophy. First place in his class. The match against Tai was so close, during the final round when they knocked each other out of bounds, the judges declared Rex a winner because his feet connected half a second before Tai's.

He put in the Command Center and pointed at it. "No more guff about me not competing."

Once Winter had stabilized, they moved him to Angel Grove General so that his family could visit him. The official story was he was on his way home when he was caught in an accident caused by the latest monster attack. He was still unconscious but no one expected him to bounce back too quickly.

Autumn filled Taran and Rei in about the golden garbed figures she saw. It was perplexing but perhaps not their biggest worry. When she wasn't rushed trying to save Winter's life, Rei figured out that there had been a binding spell on Taran.

"I should have realized sooner. There was no way they wanted you running around with access to your magic after you were caught in the Z-wave," she said, shaking her head at herself.

Taran wasn't sure about this whole magic business but if it helped then it helped.

They could use all the help they could get because Widow was sure to be furious now.

-xThe End Chapter 10x-           

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment