Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 19 - From the Moon with Love



In 2005 Angel Grove and the Power Coins are out there, broken, awaiting their other halves. When Roki and Zita Repulsa take residence in the Palace on the Moon six ordinary young people find themselves in the middle of a Z Putty attack. They become Power Rangers. It is then up to them to complete the other halves of their coins and defend the world against Evil.

Chapter 19 - From the Moon with Love

Chapter 19 - From the Moon with Love
After putting Fox through his paces at the Scott Dojo, Rex wandered into the Youth Center. Fox, he noted, rarely chose to hang around the Youth Center on his days off. Rex supposed he couldn't blame him since he also had to live there. Usually feeling great after a work-out, he felt kind of deflated instead. He half considered ordering some extreme chocolate concoction but decided against it. Last time he got some chocolate, people thought he was deeply depressed and liable to jump off a bridge. Instead he ordered a juice from Spring.

"It's getting that time of year," she remarked and gestured at the profusion of glittery shimmery pink and red hearts decorating the Youth Center. "What's it coming to when Tai Stapleton has a date to the big do and Rex Hart doesn't?" she asked as she gave him his juice.

Rex narrowed his eyes at the mischievous expression on her face. "Since you enjoy gossiping with my sister so much, you can get her to pay for this," he said and flashed her his best smile. He wandered off toward where Tai and Lani was cozied up.

Summer reached over and pushed her sister's mouth closed. "I'll make a note to charge Rena for the juice next time she's in," she said.

Spring scowled at her. "That smile shouldn't be legal," she grumbled and flounced off into the kitchen with her sister's laughter following her.

Tai glanced at his friend when he scooted into the booth across from where he and Lani were sitting without so much as a "pardon me". "You know, this might have been a date," he said.

"Then you shouldn't have come to the Youth Center," Rex pointed out. He winked at Lani.

Lani snickered. "He has a point," she said.

Tai nodded. He watched his friend broodingly chew on his straw rather than actually drink the juice. He followed his gaze. He saw Kat leading a small ballet class. There was going to be a little Valentine's Day show there before a big dance. Though a nurse by occupation these days due to an injury, Kat still taught a small group ballet at the Center. She was working on a routine for the show and had recruited a few older beginners. Nathan, Tori, Melody, Chloe and even Wood were dressed in leotards and learning the routine.

"I'm somewhat surprised Kat didn't try to get you participate," Lani remarked innocently.

"She wanted beginners," Rex said with a shrug.

"Rex took ballet for two years when we were kids," Tai explained. "And tap. And ballroom."

"Why doesn't that surprise me?" she said. "Why are you glaring at them?" she asked.

"I'm not. I'm just thinking while facing that general direction," he answered.

"Whacha thinkin' about?"

Rex dug into his pocket and pulled some money out. "Give this to Spring or Summer for the juice," he said and scooted out of the booth. Stuffing his hands in his pockets, he left the Youth Center.

Lani gaped after him. "What the--? Tai--"

"I'm after him," Tai said and kissed her cheek. He stood and followed his friend out. He paced a few feet behind Rex.

"I know you're back there," Rex said.

"I know," Tai answered.

Rex sighed. He turned slightly, pausing to let Tai catch up to him. "Don't ask me what's wrong because I don't know," he said. "Just let me sort it out in my head first. Okay?"

"Fine by me but I had to come out. Lani expected it," Tai said.

Rex chuckled. "You looking forward to finally having a Valentine's Day date?" he asked.

"You looking forward to finally not having one?" Tai shot back.

"See, there's that. Why does everyone seem to think I couldn't get a date if I wanted one?" he asked.

"Rena's a brat and I never said you couldn't get one if you wanted one. I just have a feeling you won't. I don't know why, though. You should. Let loose for a bit. Enjoy the day. Forget about whatever it is that's worrying you for a few hours," he prompted.

Rex thought about that as he walked for a bit. "Sometimes I forget why you're Leader Boy. Maybe I'll do just that. Go back to Leader Girl and tell her we talked. We laughed, we cried, we hugged it out," he said.

Tai scoffed. "No one would believe that even if I could bring myself to say it," he said. "Where you heading now?" he asked.

"Rat's been slacking off in her training lately. It's time for vengeance," Rex said. He left Tai laughing on the street.

-x-

Palace on the Moon

Moriko floated into her sister's command center, which was basically a sitting room where Zita obsessed over the Power Rangers. She'd been a little worried about her sister since she visited the Watanabe land. "Zita! Let's have a party. A Valentine's Day party! It's just the thing! Celebrating a bloody massacre and love all at once! It can be themed. We can all wear blood red and black. I can invite Goldarr and Scorpina. Oh and Elgar! I know the perfect blind date for him," she clapped her hands together thoughtfully as she mentally went over her guest list.

"Are you out of your mind?" Zita demanded. "What are you even talking about?" she demanded. She rubbed her forehead. "Oh, I think I'm getting a headache," she muttered.

"Valentine's Day. It's when humans celebrate love. It's all a bit blah and cliché. I'd play up the bloody massacre angle. I can just imagine the great hall decorated with oozing blood now," Moriko answered. "Oh, Griff would be so handsome in a bloody velvet tuxedo and black shirt," she sighed dreamily as she imagined it.

Zita was beyond listening. She pushed past her sister and went to Finster's lab. "Finster! Make me a monster that will turn love to hate," she said and her lips curled into a cruel smile.

Moriko shook her head. "Why don't we just kidnap the cutest one and force him to be your date to our ball instead of doing all that?" she asked. She really hadn't meant to give her an idea for a monster. She just wanted to celebrate being with Griff on a holiday like Valentine's Day and possibly cheer Zita up. "What about Rex? He's a looker and I bet he could charm the habit off a nun," she prompted.

Zita gave Moriko a disgusted look. "Make it snappy," she ordered Finster. "Have your ball if you must but leave me out of it. Don't you even dare think about setting me up on a blind date," she said and went back to her sitting room. She slammed the door and locked it.

Moriko pouted. She reached out and took Griff's hand when he came up behind her. "Didn't go well?" he asked as she leaned against his chest.

"We can have the ball but now she's in battle mode. Did you meet any hot guys in your other dimensional travels?"

"I doubt I'm the best judge," he said dryly.

Moriko thought about it. What kind of taste did her sister have? Rei separated because of Sora and she separated because of Griff. But what about Zita? "Hmm, I don't know. Someone that's a little like you and a little like Sora maybe?" she said. She felt Griff hesitate and turned to look up at him. "You thought of someone," she said, her mouth forming a small 'O' of surprise. She'd mostly been joking but he actually thought of someone.

"No, I didn't," he denied. Just so she would drop the subject he slid an arm around her waist and pulled her close. He dipped his head and kissed her until she melted and certainly forgot all about Zita. "Let's go to the room so you can try on ball gowns for me," he suggested.

Moriko sighed. "Okay. You win this time," she said and slid away. Tangling their fingers together, she led him to their room. She'd definitely come back to this subject. Eventually.

-x-

Later that night, Beez was quietly manning the Power Chamber while her android body recharged. At this time of night she'd even managed to pry Billie, Danny and Holly out of the Command Center for some sleep. She received an incoming message. Her holographic form shimmered and opened communications. "Zhane," she greeted when the face of a smiling blond man filled her screen. "I admit I am surprised to hear from you so soon," she said.

"About that," Zhane Rahl hesitated. "I'm landing on Earth in a few hours," he said.

It was rare for Beez to frown. "What about the mission?" she asked.

"We picked up a few leads before the situation changed," Zhane answered. "I intend to fulfill my promise," he said.

Another screen lit up as someone else accessed a terminal on the small craft they were on. A woman with blond streaked brown hair gave an irritated sort of sigh. "I have to stay on Earth for the time being Beez. Zhane and I talked it over and we both came to conclusion that since we aren't sure how long this will take, we don't want our first child born on this shuttle. Andros advised against my staying on KO-35. The situation there is too volatile. So we decided I would stay on Earth," Karone explained.

Beez smiled now. "I am sorry for the delay but I congratulate you both," she said. "I'll be expecting your arrival," she said.

"We'll call again before we land," Zhane assured her. They cut off communication. Beez frowned again. This was a delay she wasn't expecting. "Ay yi yi yi," she murmured to herself. She pre-programmed a message to be sent to Tai, Zara, Jason and Tommy in the morning informing them of the imminent arrival.

-x-

"Stop obsessively checking your watch. Beez will contact us when Zhane and Karone land," Melody told Zara as they walked toward the Youth Center. Mel was going to her class with Kat. They were putting the final touches on the routine that day so they could do the show with the young ones the next day. Zara was just grabbing something to eat.

"I know, I'm just excited. I wonder why they're coming back," Zara said.

"We'll find out when they get here," Mel said. She was super excited to see Karone again. She'd all but squealed when Zara told her about the message when they awoke that morning.

"Well, it's a lot more interesting than this holiday everyone is up in arms over," the dark haired said. "It's like it's designed to make people who don't have significant others feel pathetic," she added.

"You pick on things quick," Mel said with a slight smile. "Except you're understating it a bit. You're supposed to feel pathetic if you can't even get a date," she explained. Zara slanted her a sideways glare. Mel giggled. Personally she rather like Valentine's Day, even if she didn't have a date. She saw no harm in celebrating love. "Oh, there's Kat. Go on in ahead of me. I wanted to ask her something before class started," she said.

"Ok," she said and ducked into the building.

Mel jogged over to Kat who was opening the trunk of her car to get out a few props she wanted everyone to familiarize themselves with. She glanced up when heard someone approach. "Melody," she greeted.

"Need some help?" the younger girl asked.

"That'd be a big help. Thanks," Kat said. They didn't get to say much more as they loaded up with several pairs of fairy wings, crowns and wands. Kat managed to elbow her trunk closed. "Did you want something specific?" she asked as they turned toward the Youth Center.

Mel didn't have a chance to answer. A monster materialized in front of in in a cloud of broken hearts. He was a giant muscular but flabby baby in a dingy, suspiciously saggy diaper. Undersized wings attached to his back missing more feathers than they had. His head was slightly oversized, sitting on his shoulders. His cheeks were blushed pink, two little teeth poked out of his and a blond curl stuck up from his head. His thickly lashed blue eyes sparkled. He was just plain creepy in a disturbing cutesy way.

There was nothing remotely cutesy about the bow with the dual arrows he had trained on them. He released just as they turned. Dark light hit them in the chests and down they went.

On their way to meet the rest of the class, Wood, Tori, Nathan and Chloe didn't really expect to find a monster attacking their friends.

"Hey monster! What do you think you're doing?!" Chloe demanded.

Coopus the anti-Cupid whirled around, drawing more arrows but they dodged aside as he fired.  They really shouldn't have been surprised. "Chloe here, there's a monster outside the Youth Center! Kat and Melody are down," she said into her communicator.

Coopus giggled. "You can't stop me, Wangers," he said in a childish voice. More arrows appeared in his bow. "Come out, come out whewever 'oo are," he said.

"You want us? You got us!" Tori said and rotated her wrists making her cuffs appear. "It's Morphin' Time! Pterodactyl!"

"Mastodon!"

"Smilodon!"

"Pterodactyl!"

In response, Putties appeared around the monster. "Keep them busy," he ordered.

Putties grouped up and attacked each of the Rangers while Coopus attempted to shoot his arrows.

Kat and Melody began to stir just as reinforcements began to arrive. "What happened?" Kat said thickly. She felt herself to make sure she was ok.

Melody shook her head and got to her feet. They hastily got out of the way of the battle.

Coopus sulked as even more Power Rangers began appearing. The Putties were keeping them away from him, but he wasn't having much luck. "This just isn't wowth it," he said. Handfuls of arrows began appearing and he shot skyward in several successive volleys and disappeared in another cloud of broken hearts.

"Take cover!" male Red Ranger shouted as arrows began raining down around him. Most of the Rangers scattered or took cover if they could but two Putties had grabbed male Blue's arms preventing him from throwing up a protective force-field. And arrow hit him. Female Pink wasn't so fortunate either. On the outskirts of battle, Rei was also struck with a stray arrow. The arrow shower stopped and the Putties disappeared.

"Beez, get everyone including Kat and Melody to the medi-lab," male Red ordered. In a flash everyone was gone, either teleporting or being teleported.

-x-

"I'm fine. I really don't feel strange or anything," Melody protested when the read-outs of her medi-bed indicated that it nothing was physically wrong with her, Kat or any of the other Rangers hit with the arrows.

Tai crossed his arms over his chest. "I doubt Zita would send a monster that shot people with ugly arrows that did nothing," he said.

"But it's true that I feel fine, too," Tori interjected. "I just need a little space," she added, jerking her arm away from Wood as he went to help her up from the bed. "Quit hovering. You're smothering me," she told him with a small frown.

Wood gaped at her and held his hands up indicating he wouldn't attempt to help her again. He even backed up a few paces when she made an imperious shooing motion in his direction.

She scoffed at his wounded expression. "Oh, for goodness sake. You're almost eighteen, stop acting like a little kid with hurt feelings and man up a little," she said and pushed some hair behind her shoulder.

"Tori," Wood said, shocked.

"I think I'm beginning to see the effects of the arrows after all," Billy murmured.

Tori gave him a curious look. "What is it?" she asked.

Danny rubbed the bridge of his nose under his glasses. His rational brain was at war with the irrational part and it was giving him a headache. "Don't let Holly in," he managed to say. He finally gave up the fight. "She'd drive me freakin' bonkers," he said and stood up.

"Will this affect them in battle?" Tai asked Billy.

"Physically they're fine. It's their emotions being tampered with. It looks like monster is turning them against the person they care for," Billy explained.

"A monster can't tamper with love like that," Rei objected. "Love shattered the Sword of Darkness. Do you think one of Zita's monsters could really turn love to hate?" she asked.

"No? How do you feel about Sora?" Tai asked her.

"Why would I have any special feelings for Sora? I'm always having to rescue him from being evil and he mopes like a twelve year old girl afterwards. So tiring," she declared dismissively.

Wood sighed. "I'll go tell the others what to expect. Maybe it's best I give Tori a little space right now until we figure this out," he said quietly and left the medi-lab. Part of him understood that it hadn't really been Tori talking like it, but the other part was hurt.

Tai watched him leave and looked at the little group. "Since Rei is in denial, I'll ask Taran and Lammy about it. Until then, the only thing I can think of to do is kill the monster," he said. "Are they okay to leave?" he asked Billy.

"Affirmative," Billy answered.

"Good, I have to get to my class," Kat said. Tori nodded.

"Tai, Zhane and Karone's shuttle landed. They'll be in the Power Chamber imminently," Beez informed them.

"I'm coming," Tai said.

Mel's face lit up. "I'll have to make it later," she told Kat and Tori. The others teleported. The rest of them left the medi-lab.

Tai sighed as he looked around the crowd. "If you don't have a reason to be here, clear out. Everyone is fine-ish. We'll sort it out later," he said.

"What exactly constitutes a reason?" Chloe asked him, raising a brow.

"Don't get cute. Just leave," he told her.

"I can't help being cute. I was born this way," she answered with a grin. "You're lucky I gotta go anyway. Come on ballerinos. Youse two gotta come with me," she said, clutching Nathan and Wood around the arm.

"Don't know if I should go ro rehearsal," Wood protested.

"Just don't get in Tori's way and it'll be fine. If she gets get out of line, I'll use my BFF prerogative and knock her back in," Chloe assured him.

"It'll be ok," Nathan agreed. Satisfied, Chloe teleported out with the two boys.

Lammy decided to take charge of Rei and Autumn helped while Taran and Win took care of Sora, who was oddly quiet.

A pensively Holly left with Manny while Billie decided to take Danny to the Blue lab to keep him busy.

"I dare you to go all Leader Boy and order me to leave," Rex told Tai.

"Wouldn't dream of it," Tai remarked. Lani snickered. He glanced down at her questioningly.

"Nothing," she said and gave them both a sweet smile. She went over to Zara and Melody. "You guys excited?" she asked.

"Extremely," Melody agreed with a smile. Zara just shrugged but she was just about vibrating.

Jason and Cassie were also waiting for the duo's arrival. "Teleporting Karone and Zhane," Beez announce and in flashes of light, the blond man and obviously pregnant woman arrived. Mel and Zara rushed forward to greet them. Zhane enveloped his sister in a crushing hug. Mel and hugged. Then Cassie came along and squeezed herself into the mix.

Cassie finally turned their attention toward their audience. "Zhane, Karone, this is Jason, Tai, Lani, Rex and I don't know if you've ever met Beta Z in person," she introduced.

"Wow. So you're him," Zhane said as he took Jason's hand in a firm handshake.

"Him?" Jason asked, glancing at Cassie.

"Jason Lee Scott," Zhane said.

"Could almost say the same of Zhane Rahl," Jason said with a smile.

"Think we'll be famous in the future and have people falling all over themselves because you're Tai Stapleton and I'm Rex Hart?" he asked. Tai chuckled.

"Hardly. Your ego needs to deflate a bit," Mel scoffed harshly. "Tai maybe," she added. All eyes fell on her. "What?" she asked, genuinely perplexed.

"Things just got incredibly awkward for some reason, didn't they?" Zhane asked Karone in a low voice.

"I think so," she answered.

Tai cleared his throat. Rex looked down at his sneakers as if they were the most interesting in the world. "Beez still hasn't explained what, exactly you're doing for her," he said, changing the subject back to where it needed to be.

"I asked Zhane to located the three missing Power Coins hidden by Alpha 1," Beez answered.

"We had a few leads," Zhane said. "But someone was stubborn and decided she didn't need to tell me something very important until she couldn't hide it anymore," he said and gave Karone a pointed look.

"I wasn't hiding it from you...exactly. I just thought we'd be more successful than we were and be done before now," she said and crossed her arms over her chest defensively. Zhane draped an arm around her shoulders and squeezed her close. He kissed the top of her head.

"So what now?" Rex asked.

"Well, I hoped to rest for a few days while we get Karone settled then I was going back out there," Zhane answered. "It'll be harder now. Karone was able to go place I couldn't, being a somewhat well known interstellar do-gooder," he said.

"In far reaches, not everyone is aware that Astronema no longer exists," Karone explained.

Jason nodded. "Well if you guys want a place to stay besides a cramped shuttle, I have an extra room at the dojo," he invited.

"Thanks. That would be fantastic," Karone said.

"Thank you. It will be nice to get out of the shuttle for a bit," Zhane agreed.

"I'm so glad you'll be staying here," Mel told Karone. "I'd offer to let you stay with me after Zhane leaves again but cat pee house plus pregnancy is probably not a good combination," she said.

Cassie was shaking her head vehemently. "We'll work something out soon," she vowed. "Come on. Jason and I'll help you get settled in. Then we'll get together for dinner," she said, including the girls in on this.

"Sounds great," Zhane said.

"Before you go," Beez interrupted and made teleport enabled communicators appear around their wrists.

"Thanks," Zhane said.

Taking charge of the small space group, Jason bundled them out of the Command Center.

There was a strange silence once they all left. "You're both staring at me," Rex said without looking at either Tai or Lani to confirm.

"I'm not looking at you," Tai denied while staring at him. "But that had to suck a bit," he said.

Rex chuckled. He had to admit, at least to himself, he'd been curious as to whom Mel liked enough to now hate. It was bit jarring to find him it was him the way he did. "A bit. Anyway, I need to jet. I'm supposed to be taking Rena and her friends to the mall to shop for dresses for the dance tomorrow," he said. He teleported.

Tai sighed and rubbed his forehead. "Does that suck more than I think it does?" Lani asked.

Tai nodded. "I think I'd finally convinced him to ask someone to the dance tomorrow. I was pretty sure it was going to be Melody," he answered. He knew his friend wel enough to know when he had more than a passing interest. It was when he watched quietly and didn't flirt outrageously and every given opportunity.

Lani slipped an arm around his waist and rubbed his back. "We'll figure this thing out. You wanted to talk to Taran and Lammy about it right?" she reminded him.

Tai nodded. "I'll send them a message. We can talk later. I gotta go, too. I was in the middle of chores," he said. He kissed her forehead and left. She teleported as well to help Manny console Holly.

-x-

Tommy slipped into the Youth Center. He made his way over to where Kat and a couple of her older students where gathering their props. "Sorry, I'm late," he said.

"You say that like I'm surprised you're late. You're always late or you forgot. I'm getting sick of it. Being an absentminded professor isn't charming," Kat told him and stomped away from him. Tori and Chloe followed her to help her load her car. Chloe shot him an apologetic smile over her shoulder.

Tommy blinked. He frowned. He'd missed something. He glanced at Nathan and Wood.

"Maybe you should let her be, Professor O," Nathan suggested. "I guess you missed everything earlier," he said.

Tommy nodded. "I was out of the country. Please tell me what I missed, boys," he prompted. Wood and Nathan filled him in. Feeling annoyed and frustrated, Tommy left the Youth Center.

Nathan and Wood sat at a table and ordered  a couple of shakes from Fox. "If this was a Disney movie, the answer would be simple," Nathan said once they'd been delivered.

"Huh?" Wood asked. He hadn't really been paying attention. His mind was one Tori's behavior. The routine Kat choreographed called for him to work with her and touch her often. She'd complained and insulted him more than once. Telling himself it wasn't really her was wearing thin.

"True love's kiss," Nathan said as if it were obvious.

Wood's head jerked up and he stared at his friend. "Say that again," he said.

Nathan blinked. "I said if this was Disney movie it'd be simple. True love's kiss. Love conquers all," he explained, knowing he wasn't being helpful or anything.

"Nathan you are a genius," Wood said and got to his feet.

"Huh? I am? Can you tell Billie that? Wait. How am I a genius?" he asked.

Wood grinned. "Think about hat scar on your shoulder awhile," he said and left the table. He approached where Chloe and Tori were now sipping drinks at the counter. "Tori, we need to talk," he said.

"How many times do I have to tell you to go away before you get the hint?" Tori demanded. She turned her face away from him rolling her eyes.

"I'm borrowing the back room for a bit," Wood told Autumn.

"Okay," Autumn said slowly. She gasped when Wood scooped Tori up in his arms.

"Hey, put me down you cretin!" Tori demanded and tried to wiggle out of his hold. He ignored her and disappeared into the back of the Youth Center with Autumn, Chloe and Nathan gaping after him.

-x-

Lammy watched Tai pace around in her apartment. She always thought her apartment rather roomy even when her brothers were visiting but somehow he made it seem small when he prowled around like that. She sat on her couch beside Taran who was also watching Tai pace. "So you're saying neither of you have any idea?" he finally demanded.

"I'm still learning this kind of thing," Taran said in his defense. "But Rei says this shouldn't be possible," he said.

"Yet it is. I just don't know how Zita is doing it," Lammy said with a sigh.

"But I do agree with Rei that it shouldn't be possible," Taran added.

"Then why is it happening? In the past few hours the monster has appeared all over the city firing his arrows and generally making people miserable," Tai said in an exasperated burst.

"I don't know. I wish Rei could apply herself to this problem but it's like she doesn't even realize there is a problem. It's kind of like she doesn't even remember having feelings for Sora," Taran said.

"Which is ridiculous since it was her feelings for Sora that separated her from Zita," Lammy said.

"You say that so easily yet you think Rex's plan to destroy the Sword of Darkness using Billie's feelings for Nathan a lucky accident," Taran drawled.

Tai stared at them. "It can't be that easy," he said, shaking his head.

"What can't be that easy?" Lammy asked.

"Nevermind. It's not possible. I mean, there's no guarantee that it goes both ways," he said, shaking his head again.

"Will you make sense," Lammy sighed. She usually had nothing but respect for Tai but right now she felt like strangling him.

"I think I get it, but you're right, there's no guarantee it goes both ways," he said.

"But it does, so far. Mostly," Tai said. "Destroying this monster may help everyone else but I think we might be able to salvage the team in order to defeat the monster," he said.

"How do we test it?" Taran asked.

"Let's get Sora over here," Tai said. "If it works, then we'll have a fully functional Rei working on the problem," he said.

"What are you two talking about?" Lammy demanded.

Taran grinned at her. "Love, sister. Love," he answered.

-x-

"Put me down you bush headed Neanderthal!" Tori commanded of Wood and hit his shoulders with her fists. "I've never been so humiliated in my life. You're going to regret this!" she yelped when he suddenly set her on her feet. She glared at him realizing where they were. "Whatever it is you're planning, you'd better forget about it," she said and tried to leave.

Wood moved in front of the door and shook his head. "You're the one who told me to man up," he said and pinned her with a dark eyed stared.

Her chin jutted up, not really having an answer for that. "You know I can put you down if you don't let me out of here. I have the skills," she warned him.

"Then why haven't you? You have the skills," he agreed. "You probably could easily gotten out of my hold. So why didn't you?" he asked.

Tori glared at him, gritting her teeth. "Let me leave," she seethed.

"Not until you hear what I have to say," he said.

"Say it and don't let me see your face again unless absolutely necessary," she said.

"I love you," he stated.

"I know. You're a hover-y, smothery, stalker boy with a crush. I get it. Now let me leave," she said.

Wood shook his head. He stepped up to her. He cupped her face in his hands. She tried to jerk away but he wouldn't let her. She glared again but he looked her steadily in the eyes. "I love you," he said again in a quieter voice and dipped his head to kiss her. She put her hands against his chest fully intending to push him away. She fisted her hands in his shirt instead, pulling at him to get closer, kissing him back with everything that was in her.

He pulled back and looked at her. "I love you, too, Wood. I'm sorry," she whispered, a tear trailing down her cheek.

"Nothing to be sorry for," he said and brushed the tear away with his thumb.

Smiling madly, Tori threw her arms around him and kissed him again. He wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her tight against him. Telling the others he had Tori back could wait awhile.

-x-

Sora looked at Tai as if he'd suddenly grown two heads. He looked at Lammy and Taran then back at Tai. "You want me to do what now?" he asked. He'd been called to Lammy's apartment and popped over immediately only to be faced with Tai and Taran's idea for a solution.

"Tell her how you feel about her," Taran said. "Make it clear," he said.

Sora scratched a hand through his hair. "You're all making some really big assumptions here," he said faintly.

Lammy crossed her arms over her chest and walked up to him. "We need Rei to be okay in case defeating the monster doesn't solve the problem. So are you saying our really big assumptions are wrong?" she asked.

Sora threw his arms up. He paced away from her. "That's not wait I'm saying," he said. "I'm saying Zita is really starting to tick me off," he declared. "I'm going to find Rei," he said and left the apartment. He'd get to the Youth Center the old fashioned way; on his own two feet. He'd use the time to think things over.

-x-

Nathan had moved to the bar to sit with Chloe as they waited to see what was going to happen next. Fox lounged against the counter nearby, taking a break and drinking a cup of hot tea. "They've been back there awhile," he remarked. "Do I need to get the hose?" he asked.

Chloe made a face in his direction. "Geeze, do you live in the gutter?" she asked.

"What? It's a valid question," Fox pointed out with a slight grin. "They might be cute as puppies but they're still teenagers," he said.

Nathan rubbed his shoulder. "He has a point, especially if Wood fixed her," he said.

"Yeah, I'm getting the hose," Fox declared.

Autumn reached over the counter and smacked him upside the head. "Sit down and behave," she scolded him. Chloe brightened. She reached out and smacked him in the arm.

"Ow. What was that for?" Fox complained.

"Looked like fun when Autumn did it," Chloe answered.

Fox rubbed his arm. "No, wonder Danny needs force-fields with you as a sister," he grumbled. "Oh-ho. Now what?" he said when a very determined Sora swept into the Youth Center. "Never boring around you people," he remarked.

"The only thing that would make it better if you were a Ranger, too, right?" Chloe said.

"For such a cute little thing, you have sharp teeth," Fox told her grumpily.

"Stop being so mean to Fox," Nathan said though he was trying not to laugh.

"Autumn, is Rei upstairs?" Sora asked.

"You sure you want to go up there?" Autumn asked. "She's not exactly you're biggest fan right now," she said.

Sora shook his head. "Ask Taran about it next time you see him," he muttered and headed up to te living level of the building. He knocked on the door of Rei's room.

"Come in," she called. She looked up from the manga she was reading when Sora walked in. She scrunched up her nose. "Oh, it's you," she said and lifted the book again. "You can leave now. Sailor Moon is about to start crying in the middle of a battle," she said

"Sailor Moon cries in the middle of every battle," Sora stated and pushed the book down. He realized this was actually the first time he'd been Rei's room. It looked a lot like his little sister's room on Terra Venture with a profusion of manga on every shelf, cute stuffed characters scattered around, figurines, and posters on the walls. Except for the bits that looked like they belonged in some occult shop. Crystals, candles, herbs in various stages of drying, what he strongly suspected was a shelf solely dedicated to magic books and of course her staff was prominently mounted on wall amidst the anime posters. It suited her perfectly.

Rei pursed her lips and glared at him. "I have only so much patience," she said in a prim clipped voice.

Sora sighed. "They say actions speak louder than words," he said. He reached out and drew her out of the comfy arm chair she'd been curled up in. Before she could tell him to go away again, he kissed her.

Rei's eyes went wide on a gasp but then she threw her arms round his neck and kissed him back happily. She giggled. "I told Tai Zita couldn't actually manipulate love," she murmured.

Sora rested his forehead against hers. "I just wish I could've sorted m'self out for m'self. Your sister is gettin' bloody aggravatin'," he grumbled.

Rei just grinned. Maybe she owed her sister a little thanks for stepping things up a bit. "Now that I think I know what she did, I'll be able to tell Tai that defeating the monster will definately negate his effects. But, later. I think I like kissing more than saving the world," she said and leaned up to kiss him again. Sora thought maybe he agreed.

-x-

Final preparations for the Valentine's Day show and dance where on their way even early in the morning. Holly sipped coffee with Manny and Lani. "Maybe I should give it a try, too," she said suddenly.

Manny glanced her. "I didn't think things had gotten to that point for you guys," she said.

Lani tilted her head thoughtfully. "Maybe that doesn't matter," she said. "Rei says the monster's powers were just a superficial manipulation. It probably doesn't have to be the big L. I say go for it. Remind Danny that he likes you," she prompted. "We just need a way to pin him down. He keeps appearing and disappearing before we can even get there," she grumbled.

Holly smiled. "Maybe I will. Then maybe we can work on an idea for making sure that creepy kewpie hangs around long enough to blow him up," she said, a determined look on her face.

"Note to self, don't get between Holly and her man," Manny said. Lani snickered.

Holly shrugged.

"We'd better get to school. You'll have plenty of opportunity there," Lani said as she finished her coffee.

"Lord help that boy," Manny agreed. Holly scrunched her nose then grinned.

The trio left the Youth Center and went to school. Holly scanned the hallway near Danny's locker. She spotted him just closing it. "Hey, you," she said, determination setting her chin. This was easier than making him ask her out. After all they'd been dating for awhile now and it was hardly their first kiss.

Danny glanced at her and irritation flashed over his face. "Yo. Make it snappy," he said, stuffing his hands in his pockets and waiting impatiently.

"Bend down a little. You're extremely tall," she said.

Danny rolled his eyes and bent down. Holly flashed a triumphant grin and leaned in and kissed him. She stepped back and waited.

"PDA's are against school rules," Danny stated. When Holly pouted, thinking it hadn't worked, he snuck another kiss. "See ya in Chem," he said and walked around her.

Holly was beaming when Lani and Manny joined her. "It worked!" she said.

Lani nodded. "Figured. Now we just need to kill the monster."

-x-

Palace on the Moon

Moriko fluttered around the grand hall of the palace, directing Putties as they put up the final decorations. "Higher!" she shouted at one putting up a blood red heart shaped disco ball.

Zita scoffed as she wandered in, looking at the decorations. "This looks less like a ballroom and more like a high school gymnasium," she said.

"Like you've ever been to a high school dance. Besides, that was the look I was going for. Cheesy and fun," Mori said and blew a bit of hair out of her face. "Sure you don't want to come?" she asked.

Zita shot her a baleful glance in response. "I'm going to see how my monster is wrecking this stupid holiday," she said and stalked out of the room.

Moriko shrugged and went back to ordering Putties around.

-x-

During and after school, Billie, Danny and Holly put their heads together to figure out a way to trap the monster in one place long enough to fight it. Throughout most of the day, both at the high school and the university, otherwise happy couples were fighting for no definable reason. It was like a hormone driven battle ground.

Tai paced the Command Center, rubbing his head. "If I have to hear one more screaming couple fight, I'm going to storm the moon," he declared. "Any ideas on how to contain this misbegotten monster?" he demanded. "Science stuff? Magic stuff? I open to any suggestions," he said.

"Actually, it might take both," Lammy said. "Billie, you've been analyzing the monster every time he appears, right?" she asked.

Billie nodded. "Of course," she answered.

"Do you know the harmonic frequency when he teleports in and out?" she asked.

"Harmonic frequency?" Tai asked blankly. Science wasn't his strong suit.

"The sub-sonic frequency he vibrates at to pass through the barriers of space and time," Billie said. "I do have the frequency. What are you thinking?" she asked.

"Crystals placed around the monster next time he appears that vibrate at a frequency that will cancel it out. He won't be able to teleport anymore and he;ll have to stay and fight," Lammy answered.

"Ohh. I want to do the crystals. I owe him," Rei volunteered with a fierce glint in her eye.

"Right then. If we have a plan, let's get to it," Tai said.

"That's right. No squabbling couples messing up Tai's first Valentine's date because of a monster," Chloe quipped.

"Sharp teeth," Fox hissed.

Tai cleared his throat, his ears turning red. "Leave. If you can't help with this crystal plan, leave now," he said.

"Come on partner before you really get yourself into trouble," Rex said and draped an arm over her shoulder, but he was trying not to laugh.

As ordered, if they couldn't help with the crystal project, the others left. After all, there was a show and a dance to prepare for. They were just hoping they'd be able to enjoy it.

-x-

While waiting on word that the crystals were ready, Rex was helping Tai give Fort T-Rex a quick clean. Tai wanted to bring Lani around later and give her something special for Valentine's Day. "Something on your mind?" Tai asked because Rex had been a little too quiet.

Rex was sorting through their old dinosaur collection and weeding out the broken ones and preparing to donate the others. He idly played with the articulated trunk of the mastodon. "So I was talking to the Phantom Ranger--"

"You mean Jason?"

Rex snickered. "Yeah, him. I asked about any after effects wearing the suit may have had," he began. "Basically asking him why I don't connect with this guy anymore," he said and held up the little mammoth.

Tai nodded. "So that's what's been bugging you, lately. You thinking about quitting?" he asked. He didn't think that was right. Rex wouldn't bail on them.

"I won't leave you guys hanging. I have my replacement all picked out. I just need you to finish training him with the dual swords. Now that Karone's here, she's agreed to take over teaching Hei Kwan Kung Fu," he said and put the little mammoth in the box and went on to a different collection of toys.

Tai frowned. "You make it sound as though you're leaving," he said. That actually made a little more sense.

"I'm going to help Zhane. I've talked to the school already. I have enough credits to graduate. I've already taken all the tests I need to get into AGU. I just need to finish up some paperwork and they'll mail my diploma to my parents," he said.

Tai nodded. "What do they think you're doing?" he asked.

"Work study," Rex answered. "I have to be back by the start of the fall term but Zhane didn't think that would be a problem," he said.

"Chloe will kill you when she finds out," Tai pointed out.

"That's why I'll be on the other side of the Power Chamber when I break the news," Rex said.

"Won't be the same without you," Tai said.

"It'll be ok, though. You got your lady. I think I need this. Something about it feels right," Rex said and smiled. He went back to sorting through the toys. "Okay, who markered on my Raphael?" he demanded.

"That was my Raphael and you're sister tried to make him pretty," Tai answered.

"No. The Mikey and the Leo were yours. The Raph and Donny were mine and the Rat would never dare marker on my toys," Rex denied. Cleaning and changes forgotten as the two bickered about the graffiti'd action figure.

-x-

Coopus had been having a grand time disrupting peaceful relationships all over Angel Grove and staying one step ahead of the Power Rangers. They hadn't arrived at all during his last few appearances. That perhaps made him slightly cocky next time he appeared in the park where they were showing old romantic movies outside. Couples with picnic baskets sat on blankets. Some where watching the movie, some were not.

"Ooh. This wooks wike fun!" he said happily. He lifted his bow and several arrows. He let them fly as panicked people began to scurry away. He giggled and fired a few more arrows just because it was so fun. "Misstwess Zita will be so happy, happy," he chortled and even skipped around. He fired a few more arrows and began to leave in a cloud of broken hearts.

Nothing happened. He whined as he tried again. "Hey, what's goin' on hewe?" he said in frustration.

"You're trapped," the male Red Ranger said as he and the other Rangers began appearing around him in the park. "No more hide and seek. This time you're finished," he said.

"No, no, no Wangers. Putties!" Coopus called. When the hench-creatures began appearing, Coopus pulled back on his bow string, arrows appearing in his grip.

"Nope! We're not going through all that again," male Pink said as he hovered nearby. He shot an arrow from the Power Bow and made Coopus lose his grip on his bow.

"That wasn't vewy nice," Coopus said.

"Try it again and I'll show you nice," male Pink warned then began to lay down cover fire for he rest of the team.

Female Pink summoned her Power Fans. She alternated between opening the fans and slashing through the Putties and closing them and using them like clubs. She opened her fans and deflected a few of the arrows Coopus managed to send out. "Uh-uh. That ain't happening no more," she said.

"You're darn right," male Yellow agreed. He jumped over a Putty and brought his Power Daggers stabbing down into the monster.

Coopus shrieked and stomped his foot. He turned bringing up his bow. He let an arrow fly. It landed in the ground and exploded. Male Yellow had already jumped clear.

"Not just a one trick pony," female Yellow said as she dodged another exploding arrow. She used her Power Grips to fend off the Putties trying to get her to trip up.

Female Black used her Power Axe to knock one of the arrows aside. It exploded on impact and send her flying through the air. Male Black caught her and they both crashed into the ground. "Oomph. Thanks," she said.

"No problem," he said as they sprang back to their feet. He spun his Power Scythe and slashed through a few Putties. "Just don't do that again," he told her.

"That's my little sista for youse," male Blue said dryly. He bit back a curse and hastily threw up a force-field as another arrow exploded, protecting himself, female Blue and the Black Team. "Yeh, we gotta do somethin' bout that. Any ideas, Glitch?" he asked as he took out a few Putties with his Power Lance.

"I'm working on it," she said snappishly. A Power Sai went flying over his head and knocked into another arrow sent flying. It denoted above their heads.

Male Blue whistled. "I hope your Sai went back to the Grid," he said when there was no sign of it afterwards.

Female Blue let out a little growl of frustration. "Just blast the fudger with the Magnum Cannon!" she said irritably.

Male Green had summoned his Armor and defended himself against the Putties with the Stygian Blade. Female Green was at his back as usual. An arrow exploded nearby. "That one was close," she gasped. She jabbed a Putty in the Z.

Male Green stabbed another. "He's destroying the park. Am I wrong to be glad we aren't closer to the Youth Center?" he asked.

"Sounds like a fine sentiment to me," Electrum assured him as she fenced with a Putty, smacking him in several places with her Rapier before just kicking him in the Z and sending him flying.

Silver had split apart but he came back together and gripped his Sword. He used the huge blade and batted a Putty into the next arrow that was loosed. "Now if only I could do that every time. Watch out!"

Gold had to spin away from the Putties he was fighting and held up his mace as an arrow hit. The impact made him skid back slightly. "He's getting entirely too comfortable shooting those arrows. He said. He spun around and tossed his mace like a shot put. Seeing the weapon coming, Coopus fired an arrow. The Mace was a distraction. Gold came through the explosion and just punched him right in the ugly pudgy cherubic face.

Rei wasn't far away from the battle, making sure the crystals that had been teleported as soon as the monster had appeared in the park were consistent with the harmonic frequency holding the monster captive.

"Should have known you had something to do with this," Zita hissed when she spotted her sister. She'd decided to investigate when she realized the monster was no longer able to teleport.

Rei turned toward the voice. She smiled thinly. "Of course. It's my duty to help the Rangers," she said. "Though I am a little ambiguous about this monster. One the one hand, he tried to mess with my emotions. On the other, because of that my relationship with Sora has never been stronger," she said, smiling brightly.

Zita snarled. She launched herself at the other girl. Rei shrieked and struck out as well. They grabbed clumps of hair, kicked, bit and scratched at each other and called each other names ending in an undignified scuffle on the ground.

The Red Rangers had been handling the Putties but the whole exploding arrows thing was getting out of hand. "Ready to try your new and improved Armor?" he asked her.

She nodded firmly. "Can't hardly wait," she agreed.

"Rex. Cannon," he stated.

"Ready," male Black assured.

The two of them crossed their wrists over their chests. "Power Armor!" Red digital matrices briefly formed over their upper bodies as red and golden armor appeared. The digital matrices formed over their left forearms as golden gauntlets formed. Small red jewels appeared near their wrists. Power Sword and Tyranno Sword in hand, the Red Rangers ran at the monster, slashing through Putties.

Coopus saw them coming and attempted to fire arrows at them but every time he did, dinosaur faced shields were thrown up.

"Magnum Power Cannon!"

"Now!" male Red said. He put on a burst of strength. Female would marvel at the feeling of the burst of strength that swept over her as they slashed into each side of the monster, throwing up massive sparks as he shrieked. They spun out of the way.

"Magnum Blast!" male Black pulled the trigger of the Cannon. The individual points of energy converged as they blasted through the monster. He exploded in a deluge of broken hearts that coalesced into a giant monster.

"Ooh, now I'm weally weally big," Coopus cooed and pulled back on a bow, aiming at a building.

The crystal on male Red's gauntlet began to glow. "Magnum Alpha Megazord!"

From various place around the city, Zords began appearing and converged on their location. The Zords began assembling together. The SmiloZord and the MastoZord formed legs and feet. The TyrannoZord formed a torso while the PteroZord and TriceraZord formed arms. A helmeted head turned out of the TyrannoZord. The StygiZord broke apart to form gauntlets, a chest shield and a helmet. The StegoZord, CeratoZord and VelociZord configured themselves in a shoulder mounted dino head cannon system that attached to the back of the shield with a tail. Their pilots were teleported into an enormous combined cockpit except that Silver had split into three again and only one of him was teleported.

The crystal on female Red's gauntlet glowed. "Alphamax Cannon!"

The Alphamax Cannon appeared beside the Magna Alpha Megazord. Those who weren't teleported to the Megazord were teleported into the Cannon except the extraneous Silver Rangers.

Coopus loosed his arrow but The Megazord's tail knocked it aside. It detonated, rocking them but causing no true harm to the building. "This the end. I'm saving Valentine's Day," male Red grumbled. "Magnum Dino Blast!" He lined the target up on his screen. He pressed the buttons, the dino mouths come open and their tail whipped up and four points of energy where fired at the monster. His bow exploded.

"No! You awe all weally, weally mean!" Coopus cried.

"I'll show you mean," female Red said coolly. She approached the center console in the cannon. She grabbed the dual joysticks and targeted the monster. "Target Acquired. Firing!" She depressed the buttons. Two by two, from the outside in the points of the Alphamax Cannon began firing, hitting the monster in succession. Each hit glowed. Finally the middle barrel fired. A beam of blindingly bright light hit. The other ten points connected in a circle.

Both blasts combined into one awesomely devastating blast that had him exploding into broken hearts that dissipated into nothing.

"Talk about two people meant to be together," female Black whispered to female Pink inside the Cannon, referring to the Red Team. Pink had to snicker at that.

On the ground, the two Silver Rnagers that weren't in the Megazord had spotted the scuffling Repulsa sisters and ran over to them. Each of him, grabbed one, pulling them apart. "Let me go, Sora! Let me at her," Rei said, struggling hard to get to Zita again.

"Get your hands off me you trifected freak!" Zita snarled and struggled just as hard.

"Not happening," both of him said in response to both of the girls.

Rei huffed and stopped struggling. She pouted and glared at Zita.

Zita glared back. She stomped her Silver's foot. He yelped and loosened his grip. "This isn't over," she hissed and disappeared in a cloud of gray smoke.

Rei blew hair out of her face. "It never seems to be," she said. "Ok, Sora. Get yourself together," she said and patted his arm.

He let her go and both of him popped out of existence as he unified again. The battle was over after all.

-x-

Palace on the Moon

Moriko's guests for the ball were just beginning to arrive when Zita returned. She took one look at her sister's mussed appearance and sighed. There was only one reason she'd look like that. "Were you fighting with Rei again?" she demanded.

Zita scowled and took in her sister's sexy blood red gown and rolled her eyes. "Go to your ball and don't mind my affairs," she said and tried to smooth her now lopsided and falling out hair.

Moriko rolled her eyes. "You're always welcome to drop in," she said, deciding to drop the subject.

"I'd rather visit mother," she said, demonstrating how distasteful she found the very concept of Moriko's ball.

"If only you would," Moriko mumured. She gave a dainty shrug and walked away. In his blood red tuxedo, Griff stood nearby. She grinned up at him and wrapped her arm around his when he offered.

They made Zita sick just looking at them. Gagging, she turned away and went to her room.

-x-

The Valentine's show at the Youth Center went off without a hitch. The ballet scene was well received and Kat and Dr. O seemed to be more than old friends. The effects of the anti-love arrows had immediately diminished when the monster was defeated and love was definitely in the air as the dance got underway.

Although he was DJ'ing, Wood managed to find time to dance with his Tori and she couldn't be happier. Danny and Holly, too, were having a great time. Even squabbling with her sister earlier couldn't diminish Rei's great mood as she hung out with Sora, feeling closer to him than she ever had before.

Melody was flushed when a fast paced song ended. She'd been dancing in a girl group with Zara and Chloe, just having fun but she'd definitely worked up a thirst. She hesitated slightly when she spotted Rex grabbing a cup of punch himself. He glanced at her. "I don't bite you know," he said and gave her a smile.

She smiled back. "I, um, well," she closed her eyes and shook her head. "I don't know," she whispered and peeked at him.

Rex chuckled. He reached out and wrapped her hands around the punch. They were warm and she blushed. She hoped the fact that she was already flushed from dancing hid it. "I'm flattered, but the timing isn't right," he said quietly. She tilted her head and looked at him curiously. He shook his head. "But there's no reason not to dance. Join me when you finish your punch," he said and flashed her a smile.

"Who needs punch?" Mel said and discarded the full cup. Rex chuckled again and took her hand, bringing her back to the dance floor. He wasn't gone yet and a little innocent fun would be the best way to spend his time before he did leave.

-x-

A week later the Rangers and non-Rangers alike assembled in the Command Center to see off Zhane and his new traveling companion. Rex had actually taken the time to tell Chloe privately that he was leaving since it wouldn't be fair to her to spring it on her all of a sudden.

She was scowling at him now. "I still don't understand why you're leaving. We're Team Awesome," she stated mulishly.

Rex smiled thinly. He twisted his wrists and made his cuffs appear. He popped his Power Coin out of his left cuff. They disappeared instantly. "Now there gets to be a new Team Awesome and I expect you to have made him one of the best Power Rangers that ever was," he said.

Chloe gasped. "No. You can't," she said and she glared at Fox.

Fox blinked. "Why are you staring at me?" he demanded.

"The reason I specifically asked you be here," Rex said and approached the younger boy. He dropped the Power Coin in his hand.

Metallic black cuffs instantly formed around Fox's wrists. He suddenly felt faint as he stared at him.

"All right. Welcome to the team," Wood said with a big grin and slapped him on the back. Fox almost toppled over, still stunned. There was a ripple of welcomes and congratulations that he didn't even register.

Zhane cleared his throat. "We'd better go," he said.

Rex nodded. "See you all soon," he said. There was another mumur of goodbyes and even a few tears. Beta Z teleported them out f Command Center and soon they left the Earth as well.

x-End Chapter 19-x           

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment