Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 23 - Triple-Cross



In 2005 Angel Grove and the Power Coins are out there, broken, awaiting their other halves. When Roki and Zita Repulsa take residence in the Palace on the Moon six ordinary young people find themselves in the middle of a Z Putty attack. They become Power Rangers. It is then up to them to complete the other halves of their coins and defend the world against Evil.

Chapter 23 - Triple-Cross

Chapter 23 - Triple-Cross
Command Center

It was quiet in the Command Center. Holly had appeared and almost immediately sequestered herself in the Zord Lab to prepare for any damage the Zords might sustain. Melody and Zara were watching events unfold in the Power Chamber, wishing they could help with the battle but knowing they could not. Beez was busily doing about twenty-thousand things at once. Billy was in the Blue Lab, his focus on the looming catastrophe the younger Blues had inadvertently discovered. He scraped a hand through his fair hair in frustration.

"You look like there might be a problem," Jason commented as he walked into the Lab carrying a blocky black metallic case.

Billy blinked owlishly at him, then peered at the case. "Let me formulate a guess. Another prophecy?" he asked. Jason didn't answer verbally but the smile he gave was answer enough. "I do not claim to be expert but isn't the cluster of prophecies in recent times nearly unheard of?" he asked.

"Our kids are special," Jason answered with a shrug. "It's an important time. Things are always worse before they are better. It's how things are," he declared and set the case on counter. "This will help. Keep it safe until I need it," he said.

Billy nodded. "I do not recall you being so mysterious," he commented lightly and took the case for safe keeping.

Jason chuckled. "It's in the job description," he said. He checked his watch. "I need to touch base with a few people. I'll be around if I'm needed," he said, gave another mysterious smile and left the Blue Lab.

Flabbergasted, Billy put away the case. "I suppose you know what that is all about?" he asked out loud.

"Not everything but enough. I'd be a useless central computer if I didn't know enough," Beez's voice answered him with a hint of humor. Even in this situation, Billy couldn't help but smile.

-x-

After leaving the Power Rangers to fight an army of Bone Drones and a boy crazy monster, Rio Revile joined her mother on the outskirts of Angel Grove. She stood with her feet planted apart and her hands held out in front of her, channeling dark magic that seemed to hit an invisible wall. So hard was she concentrating, a sheen of sweat. On the other side of the invisible wall stood an old man in brightly colored clothing. "What's with the dwarf?" she asked.

Riti stopped channeling her power and took a breath. “He says he's the protector of this land and will defend it with his last breath if I were penetrate the barrier," she answered and flicked a disparaging glance at the old fart.

Rio leaned in to study the man. She tapped her lip. "He looks familiar," she murmured quietly. She snapped her fingers and straightened. "Ah. He looks like the Red Ranger had been shrunk and pickled!" she declared. "Can he hear us?" she asked since the codger wasn't reacting to her at all.

Riti shrugged. "Who cares? What can this old codger do? Join with me. We should be able to punch a hole in the infernal protection spell if we combine our energies," she said. Rio nodded and took a stance next to her mother.

Finally, Akira spoke. "Honor dictates I give this final warning. Any breach of property will be met with lethal force." His hand floated to a sword hanging at his side. He popped the hilt from its sheath. "If you've met my grandson, understand that I'm the one that trained him," he added, looking directly at Rio.

Despite herself, Rio felt a tremor of apprehension. She had indeed met the old man's grandson. She'd sat across from him in a situation where it would have been normal to show apprehension. She'd held a room full of innocent civilians hostage. She'd brought a monster in and threatened to reveal his identity and that of his female partner and the female Yellow Ranger. They'd reacted normally; fear, apprehension, anger. Especially the little Red girl when the monster threatened her brothers. But not him. He faced her down with a dreadful calmness and even smiled at her in such a situation.

And this old man was claiming to be the one who trained him.

Riti didn't share in her daughter's concerns, having never dealt directly with any of the Rangers. She snorted. "Now, Rio," she said and began channeling her power into a spot directly in front of him.

Mentally shaking herself, Rio began to channel her energy, joining with her mother, but she heard the old man say under his breath, "You were warned."

-x-

Two powerful street bikes purred along the streets of Angel Grove. One was white with shimmery crimson tiger stripes on the gas tank and fenders. The other was a simple green-to-teal gradient in metallic paint. They pulled up in front of the Scott Dojo and parked. A young man in boots, ripped jeans and a dark jacket pulled off his helmet. He had short, almost black hair that fell over his forehead with a slight curl, a striking dark face that bespoke of a Native heritage, and bluish-greenish eyes. He glanced at his travelling companion. "Your brother and sister are expectin' us, right?" he asked in a Texas drawl.

AJ Scott removed his helmet. "They probably would if I'd told them when I was coming. I just mentioned in passing that next time I came I'd be bringing a friend. What're they gonna do, lock us out?" he asked as he untethered his saddle bags and draped them over his shoulder.

Damien Henderson closed his eyes and asked for patience. With a sigh, he slung his own saddle bags over his shoulder. "What is that racket?" he asked, finally becoming aware of the WWII air-raid siren style blaring sounding around the city.

"Monster alert sirens," AJ answered, unfazed by the sound. He glanced around and pointed. "Monster battle," he explained. In the distance they could see a giant monster running around the city with a Megazord chasing after it.

Damien cocked his head. "Huh, so that's what that looks like," he commented.

"Yep. Welcome to Angel Grove," AJ remarked. "Let's get inside in case the battle moves over this way," he said and walked toward the entrance of the Dojo.

"Yeah, comin'," Damien said and followed his friend after one last glance over his shoulder at the battle in the distance.

-x-

There wasn't some big flashy explosion or anything when the Reviles broke through the protective barrier of the Watanabe lands. They just knew and they stepped through quickly before it rebounded enough to repel them. They were met with the glinting steel blade of Akira Watanabe's blade. No further warnings, no further talk, no further chances were warranted. He drew his blade and attacked. For a man in his sixties he was in good shape. He was often his grandson's sparring partner and he worked the forge still. His skills were as sharp as they ever were.

He sprang forward on a slash. Riti produced a black blade of her own, while Rio summoned her laser gun. She didn't get a chance to fire it, however, the old man was quick and seemed more than capable of keeping her off balance enough to avoid getting a shot off while sword fighting with her mother.

"If that's the way you want it old man, that's how you'll have it," she and threw off her hat. Her gun disappeared and was replaced with a long silver blade. She dove into the sword fight. "Go, Mother! I'll take care of this old prune!" she said.

Riti took advantage of her daughter's distraction of the old man to run for the Crystal Caves. They were little more than a network of old underground caverns behind a rather small waterfall from a tiny mountain stream, but they had shiny crystals imbedded into the walls, which is how they were given such a whimsical name by Akira's young wife. No one suspected they were anything more than a natural anomaly. Certainly, no one could have known it housed the last remaining piece of the meteorite that killed the dinosaurs 65 million years ago. Nor embedded within that hunk of meteorite was a shard of the unimaginably powerful Soul Stone.

Rio and Grandpa were deep in battle when the male Red Ranger teleported in ahead of his fellow Rangers. "Grandpa!" he said surprised and concerned. Rio got in a lucky shot and kicked the old man in the side. With her inhuman strength, the ribs cracking was audible.

Red was there was his TyrannoSword before Rio could even think about gloating. His blade slashed across her torso, making her cry out in pain even as she flew through the air. She landed and bounced a few times. Grunting in pain she glared at him. "You're too late. Mother has the Shard," she said triumphantly and painfully got to her feet.

The ground began to tremble. By now the other Rangers had arrived. They all turned to see Riti emerge from the Caves holding a large lump of stone. She broke it open and dropped the two hunks on the ground once her goal was revealed. A bright pink stone about the size of a ping-ball hovered in the air before her. She cupped her hands around it.

A bright pink glow engulfed her, and she laughed. "There's no stopping me now!" she crowed and in a pink streak of nearly blinding light, she rocketed upwards and disappeared into the sky.

With a smirk, Rio disappeared as well. It was too late for the Rangers now. There was nothing they could do to stop them. There was nothing anyone could do to stop them.

-x-

For the first time in years the Repulsa triplets were together without being fused into a single being. When they found out what the Soul Stone was and where it was located, the three of them immediately went to the cherry trees that stood as the sentinels of Watanabe lands. At once, all three of them gasped. They could tell even without trying that the barrier had been breached.

Almost sadly, Zita reached out to touch the trunk of one of the trees. Only a tired tingle tried to repel her touch. Moriko and Rei touched the tree as well. "The barrier should still work against most threats. I just don't think it sees you as a threat," Rei told Zita.

Zita scowled at her and jerked away from the tree. "We'd better hope it's not too late," she said and started running to where they could feel the presence of tremendous power. Moriko and Rei ran behind her. They stumbled upon the scene just as Riti joined with the Soul Shard and disappeared.

"Well, that is definitely not good," Moriko declared flatly.

"Thank you, Captain Obvious," Zita responded.

"There has to be a way to stop her. There has to be," Rei declared.

Zita rolled her eyes. "Life isn't all sunshine and rainbows. What can we possibly do?" she asked. She gritted her teeth.

Moriko rolled her eyes as well, but this time at Zita. Whatever she was about to say was cut off by the arrival of Grifforzer. "Griff!" She and the Electrum Ranger had noticed his arrival at the same time and both ran toward him.

Griff shook himself and seemed surprised to find himself there. "Where am I?" he asked, looking around. He blinked again. "Power Rangers and you three. Oh," he said quietly. "They expelled me from the Palace," he concluded.

Electrum dropped her Morph. The other Rangers did the same. Tai gave over care of Grandpa to Billie who summoned a 3HD to use on his ribs despite his insistence he'd heal naturally. Though he was mildly interested in finding out who would win the grouch off, Zita appearing with Rei and Moriko on his land was of slightly more interest.

Rei held up a hand. "Before any words are said that no one can take back, it's a ceasefire, okay. Truce," she said before Tai or Zita could say anything.

"Fine," Tai agreed.

Zita was a little less agreeable. "Fine," she finally growled. "What do you mean you were expelled from the Palace?" she demanded of Griff.

"I was in the war room when Riti stalked in. She spotted me, waved her hand and I ended up here," he said. He frowned deeply and crossed his arms.

"That's so not good," Lammy said. Griff may not actively practice magic like she did, but a forced transposition shouldn't have been possible to use on him.

Zita growled and disappeared in a puff of black smoke, only to almost instantly reappear. Shock was written on her face. "No. She can't do that. It's not possible. It's against the Blood Rites!" she howled and disappeared again. This time she didn't reappear.

"What the heck was that about?" Taran asked.

"My guess is that she's been banned from entering the palace," Lammy answered.

"We'll go find her," Moriko said, and grabbed Rei's arm to include her in the "we". "Stay with Lammy. I'll find you later," she said to Griff. With his nod, the two sisters disappeared as well to find their missing triplet.

Tai rubbed the bridge of his nose. "Lammy, Taran, do something with your brother. I want to make sure Grandpa is okay and find Lani but we should meet back at the Command Center in about half an hour. In the meantime, everyone get off my property," he instructed them. He went back to his Grandpa and everyone did as he asked.

-x-

Tai found Lani in her own back yard a while later. She was still wearing her hanbok but she'd taken her hair down and pulled the extension out. She sat in a porch swing. He entered through the back fence gate so that he wouldn't have to go through her family. She smiled when she saw him. "I heard about Grandpa. How is he?" she asked with a little grin. She scooted over on the swing to make room for him.

Tai chuckled and sat beside her. "He's the same as always. I was the one who almost had a heart attack when I saw him dueling with Rio," he said. He scraped a hand through his hair. His usually well gelled spikes were quite askew from continuous assault. "How're things here? Your Dad and brothers?" he asked.

Lani sighed. She leaned against his shoulder. "Dad is both proud of me and Pua for standing up to Rio and outraged at our stupidity for doing so," she answered. "Keoni is a little freaked out that a monster had a crush on him. Noa has been kind of quiet about it. Pua is just angry. It's probably best you avoid him for a while. Dad thinks you were very brave for engaging Rio, but Pua thinks you were, I don't know, on her side or something," she said.

He groaned and shook his head. "Yeah, Pua is never going to like me," he said.

Lani laughed and wrapped an arm around his. "Doesn't matter if he likes you or not. Just matters that I do," she said. "I should go change before heading to the Command Center but Mom is on super-mega hoover mode. That’s why I was hiding out here," she said. "Not sure if I could sneak up to my room or not. Maybe I'll call Manny to bring me something to change into," she said. "How bad are things looking?" she asked.

"Bad enough for Rei and Zita to join forces. Worse than what we know, I suspect. I think the Blues know something else they just haven't had a chance to tell us. Danny didn't blow up his precious Cannon for no reason," Tai said.

Lani looked at him for a long moment. He looked tired and worried. She tugged on his arm. "We still have awhile before we have to be at the meeting. Just lay your head down for a few minutes," she said and patted her lap. "No arguments," she said firmly. Though it was a little awkward, he obeyed her without arguing.

-x-

Command Center

Billie glared over her shoulder at Nathan hovering --not literally-- around the Blue Lab. "Why have you been breathing down my neck this whole time?" she asked him grouchily.

Nathan gave a shrug. "I don't know. Guess I know you're busy but I don't want you to be alone either so I'm trying to be here but not in the way," he answered.

Billie went back to her analyses. "Why shouldn't be alone?" she asked absently.

"Because, even though I don't know what's wrong, you do and you're about to melt down over it. You can't be alone when that happens," he said. "You might kill somebody," he added with a grin.

Billie hit her console with her fists, frustrated. "You might be right about that," she said. "It might even be you," she warned him. But it wasn't him her frustration was aimed at. It was the data.

He nodded. "I'm good with that," he said. He drummed his fingers on his leg. "I'm going away for the summer," he announced suddenly.

Billie paused in whatever else she was doing. She turned to face him. "You're doing what now?" she asked, blinking at him owlishly.

He cleared his throat. "I won't be out of commission or anything. Just, Danny's cousin was able to get me an audition for a summer workshop at CPAC. I made it. But I have to board there for a couple months," he explained.

"Why am I just now hearing about this? Did Wood and Danny know?" she demanded.

Nathan nodded slowly. "Wood auditioned, too. We'll be bunking together. Danny was our go between with Simon. It wasn't that we were keeping it from you, it's just..." he didn't know how to explain it. "I think I thought if anyone else knew, I'd chicken out, or bomb or something," he said lamely.

Billie turned back to her work. "It's nice to know I got lumped in with everyone else," she grumbled under her breath.

Nathan groaned. "That’s not what I mean. You know you aren't 'everyone else' but you don't want me say what you are so what am I supposed to say?" he demanded suddenly, a rare spark of temper.

"Gosh, you're so stupid. Do think I would ask you not to do something you really wanted to do?" she asked as spun back around to face him.

"No. No of course not. That's not what I mean either. I don't even know what I mean anymore," he said, throwing up his hands.

Billie rubbed her eyes under her glasses. "You're an idiot. A big, dumb doofus. A moron. I wouldn't let you hang around me all summer and squander this chance, a great chance, just because we'll miss each other," she told him, fist on her hips and giving him a disgruntled glare.

"Oh, yeah. That's what I was trying to say," he said and gave her sheepish smile. "Am I really that stupid?" he asked, thinking about it.

"No more than I am," Billie said and sighed. "It's almost time for the meeting and I have to give the rotten cherry for the top of the crap sundae we find ourselves face with," she said and sighed.

He slung an arm over her shoulder and squeezed. "It'll be all right, Glitch. We're a team and we'll figure it out, all of us together. Even stupid ones like us," he said and walked her out of the Blue Lab, and she allowed it.

-x-

Fox wanted to strangle his cousins. Even with doom impending, and a meeting soon, they were forcing him to make a delivery to the Dojo. "Business as usual, Fox," he mocked Autumn under his breath as he hopped off his new black scooter. He opened the storage compartment installed on the back and grabbed the bag within. He paused when he spotted the gleaming motorbikes he'd just parked next to. He let out an appreciative whistle under his breath.

Remembering that he was under a time crunch, he pulled his attention back to the task at hand. He entered the Dojo and immediately headed up to the office. The Dojo staff were regular customers but Randi in particular enjoyed Nana Mai's tuna surprise sub with sweet potato fries. He gave a preemptory knock before barging in.  "If you don't mind, Randi, I'm in a bit of hurry so if you could call Autumn and put it on a tab or something so I don't have to waste time making change--er...neither of you are Randi."

The two men in the office were definitely not Randi Scott. Though he recognized her twin brother. He was definitely the only other person he knew that had ever ordered a tuna surprise sub with sweet potato fries. The other bloke he had no clue about, but he sure was eying Fox in a funny way.

"Randi has a tab? Score," AJ said and grinned. He stood up and took the bag with the two Styrofoam containers from Fox. "Yeah, she's not here. I haven't seen her or my brother since we got here," he said.

"We really should pay the shark," Damien said. "Sorry, if it'll hold you up," he added apologetically.

Fox hesitated. Get skinned by Tai for showing up to the big meeting late, or get skinned by Autumn for not getting payment? Those were his options.

Apparently his indecision kept him silent for an inordinate amount of time. "Uh, Fox?" AJ asked, waving a hand to get his attention.

"No, yeah. Just trying to decide who gets to kill me," Fox said and shrugged. He'd throw Autumn under the bus in a heartbeat and let her take all the blame. He looked at the ticket and told them the price. AJ quickly paid him and said to just keep the change. "Thanks, mate," Fox said and prepared to dash out. There was a dull thudding sound and the building shook. Fox closed his eyes. "Please, please, please don't be a monster," he said under his breath.

"Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, sharky, but that appears to be exactly what it is," Damien said. Being nearer to the window, he'd hopped up and looked out.

"Are there egg shells around it?" Fox asked faintly.

"Looks like it," Damien confirmed. "This a common thing in these parts?" he asked.

Fox pressed the distress beacon on his communicator and went to the window to peer out. The monster looked like a pile of half melted old vinyl records but that didn't make his ability vibrate and generate destructive sound bombs any less terrifying. He jumped back when lightning flashed. Dark clouds gathered over Angel Grove. More lightning flashed and thunder rumbled. "Bloody Christ," he murmured.

He darted from the office since now both of the older guys were busy staring out the window. He ducked around a counter and twisted his wrists. "It's Morphin' Time! Mastodon!" He was moving again as soon he was able. He ran out into the street and skid to a stop. "Power Blades!" He summoned his weapons. He ran forward. He dodged a sound bomb tossed at him and slashed at the monster several times.

Other Rangers began appearing. The male Blue came along with his Power Lance. Female Pink appeared and summoned her Power Fans. Male Yellow leapt onto the scene with his Power Daggers. Electrum came along with her VelociRapier.

"Not quite the back-up I was expecting," Black commented. Usually Tai sent out half the team at first. This was only a third. That didn't bode well.

"Well, this ain't the only ugly to come along," Blue said.

"Riti and Rio are making their move," Electrum said.

"'Cuz that that definitely isn't natural," Yellow added, pointing at the dark sky.

Pink used her Power Fan to deflect a sound bomb. She cried out when it hit and she was knocked off her feet. Yellow leapt over to her. "Tori!" he helped her to her feet.

"Does anyone else's suit feel funny?" she asked. Before anyone could answer, all of their Power Suits began to flicker erratically.

The monster, Kordek, sensed his opportunity. "Whatsamatta, Rangers? Feeling a bit peaky?" he asked. His vinyls began to buzz and vibrate as he gathered the biggest sound energy bomb yet.

"Behind me!" Danny shouted as his suit gave up the fight. He threw up a force-field just as Kordec released the bomb. It exploded around them in a deafening blast. The only way Danny managed to keep it up under the power of the explosion was that Lammy was channeling energy into him. Even so, when it was safe to drop the shield, Danny was wiped. She caught him when he collapsed backwards.

But Kordec was gearing up for another go. He didn't get the chance as two large cats the size of mini-vans roared toward him. The blue-green lion and the white and crimson tiger jumped the monster and practically mauled him.

"I would suggest a hasty retreat while he's distracted," AJ said to the Rangers as he and Damien ran up to them. They watched in some surprise as Lammy easily maneuvered Danny into a fireman's hold and the little group teleported to the Command Center.

-x-

Randi wasn't in the Dojo because she was running errands for her older brother who had been "out of town" again. The monster attack earlier in the day set her off schedule. She'd gone to the cleaner's to pick her and Jason’s ceremonial gis for the belt ceremony they were having at the end of the month. She also had to pick up the belts in Little Tokyo and was running behind. Grumbling to herself, she headed to her electric blue electric car.

She nearly collided with Chloe, who was trying to hurry to the cleaners as well. She had to pick up a dress she'd brought for alterations. Her mom was supposed to have done it but she forgot. Chloe really wanted to wear it to the Angel Grove High graduation. Now, here she was, riding a bicycle, in a hurry, trying to get her dress before the shop closed and get back in time to head to the meeting. "If only we could use teleports for personal errands," she grumble under her breath. That's how she nearly collided with Randi.

They steadied each other and managed a small laugh. "You look like you’re having the same kind of day that I am," Randi commented.

"Youse don't know the half of it," Chloe said and nipped into the shop. Naturally the little old lady who ran the shop had misplaced her dress. Chloe tugged on her braids and made a sound only impatient teenage girls could. Or so she thought until Randi stomped back inside making the same sound.

"When it rains, it pours, huh?" Randi commented drily.

"Youse still don't know the halfa it," Chloe responded. Finally the little old woman returned with Chloe's dress. She paid for the alterations and let Randi have her turn again. Chloe heard her accusing the woman of getting bleach on Jason's red gi. Chloe eased out of the shop before things got really ugly.

She walked to her bike and gently put her dress in the basket. A barely audible whoomph shook the ground under her feet. "If I don't look at it, it doesn't exist," she said to herself. "Just get on the bike and pedal away," she added. She knew that wasn't happening, but it made her feel better to voice it as an option.

The sky was darkening even as she was turning around. Just as she expected, a monster had just landed on Earth. Eggshells littered the ground around its feet. It was a pretty horrible one at that. He looked stony with a crooked mouth full of jagged teeth in a weirdly frog-like face. He carried a staff with one end that looked a lot like the double speaker monster sirens. The other end seemed to have fin-like blades. He was whirling the staff in the air and the most grating high pitch whine began to emanate from it.

Chloe twisted her wrists and activated her distress beacon and took her stance even as her ears felt like they needed to pop or she'd keel over. "It's Morphin' Time! Mastodon!" She morphed began running at the monster, "Power Axe!" she summoned.

Zirynoc swung his staff around, and when he'd gathered enough sonic energy, he crashed it into the ground. An underground sonic boom cracked the streets around it and everything sank a few inches. He was gloating when something crashed into his back and send it him stumbling forward. Female Black went stumbling back. It was as if two boulders had collided. The blade of the Power Axe was even dented and she stared at it, aghast.

Zirynoc gave a gravelly disgruntled croak. He started toward her, swinging the other end of his staff at her. Silver Ranger appeared and smacked the staff aside with his gigantic CeratoSword. It went flying out of the monster's hand. Female Green moved in close, and swiped at him with her Power Staff but it felt like she was doing more harm than good. It didn't bode well when all the monster had to do was reach out his hand the staff reappeared in it. He knocked Green aside, and the two Power Sai flying toward him from where female Blue stood.

He began to spin his staff again, but male Red jumped forward and cut his staff wielding hand off with a bone-jarring grating sound of metal on stone. The TyrannoSword gleamed on.

"Thanks for the convenient save," Black quipped.

"Any time," Silver assured her.

"What happened to the Axe?" Green gasped.

Zirynoc staggered around a moment clutching his stump.

"Billie, there's something wrong," Red said suddenly, looking down at his hands.

Blue looked down at her own hands as her power suit began to flicker. "This is the really bad thing I was going to tell everyone about," she said grimly. Their suits gave up the fight and their morphs failed.

"Ho, ho. Looks like I have the upper hand, now," Zirynoc announced as his hand flew back to his stump still clutching his staff.

Suddenly a dark shape streaked past them, a glint of steel was barely seen. It moved around the monster, crackling with purple-blue electricity before the shape jumped away. A girl in a dark ninja suit with her head and mouth covered landed in a crouch in front of them, a long slim sword held out to the side. Lightning flashed down from the sky and exploded around the monster. "You guys should probably go," she told them as she stood.

"Randi?" Autumn exclaimed.

"Just go!"

"She's right. We should regroup. This isn't the only monster and then there's the really bad thing we weren't prepared for," Tai said with a pointed look at Billie. He gave a nod to Randi the Ninja and the group of Rangers teleported.

-x-

Winter found himself at the airport. He'd been waiting there even before the monster attack earlier. There was a very simple reason he was there alone. He didn't believe his parents would be there. The twins and Fox didn't know that the elder Bakers were expected to arrive. He, Autumn and Nana had discussed it at length and decided not to say anything, especially to the twins. If they didn't show, then there would be no hopes dashed and if they did show, it'd be a great surprise.

His parents were total flakes and had sent an email the night before and said they'd arrive at the airport but couldn't remember if it was eleven, twelve or one. They were certain there was a "1" in the arrival time. This was typical of his parents. Instead looking at the tickets, they chose to be as flighty and vague as possible. So, after leaving Tai's place, he returned to the same spot at the arrival gate he'd previously occupied for the past two hours, passing the time with a handheld game. The fights had almost been a welcome relief.

After checking in with both Autumn and the information desk, he knew there hadn't been an arrival since he'd been gone. A friendly female voice informed them that new flight was now arriving from Brisbane, Australia. Well, that was the flight they were supposed to be on. Win turned off his game and began scanning the people arriving for the familiar faces of his parents. When the last of the straggling passengers disembarked, he gave it up.

He walked to the parking lot, and hunted down Nana's car. He got hopelessly turned around a few times as the lot was vast and shared space with several rental car companies. He finally spotted it when an outer space egg landed on it, the windows exploding outwards. He went intangible as debris passed through him. "Are you kidding me?!" he exclaimed. From the egg was hatched a monster that was a strange amalgamation of a sea creature and a musical instrument. Part of its head was the horn part.

Win twisted his wrists and activated his distress beacon. He took a stance. "It's Morphin' Time! Stygimoloch!"

After he Morphed, he summoned his Stygian Armor and was on the move. Saksor saw the Ranger coming toward him. He planted his feet and aimed his face at him and let his horn sound. The sound burst the windows of very car in the lot. Green cried out in pain and collapsed on the concrete, his hands trying to block out the sound with his super powered hearing going haywire.

An arrow to the opening choked up the monster. "You were out of tune," male Pink stated as he lowered himself to the ground. He held a hand down to help Green to his feet.

Saksor burbled and whined as he attempted to extract the bolt from his hole. Female Yellow zoomed in and lashed out with her Power Grips. Unfortunately Saksor's only weapon was not his sound. He also had a wickedly sharp blade that he used to deflect her attacks. He used the other end to trip her when she attempted to speed on. "Oh, you think you're smart, huh?" she said, miffed.

Female Red took her face, thrusting forward with the Power Sword. Saksor deflected and parried and they traded jabs for a time. Finally he kicked her in the middle and knocked her aside. "Oh, wow, he's tough," she gasped, trying to get her wind back.

Saksor's victory was very short lived. He took the StegoMace to the face. He burbled and fell over. He made hacking and grinding noises as he woozily attempted to get up. Gold propped the Mace on his shoulder. But something was wrong. His morph began to flicker. "Anybody else feel that?" he asked.

Red watched the others flicker and looked down at herself. Sure enough, their Morphs petered out.

Saksor finally spit the arrow out and got to his feet, but the Rangers were now defeated. He puffed out his chest and prepared to blow.

A giant lizard, a mottled orange that seemed to flicker with its surrounding as it moved, leapt forward and swatted the monster with its tail. The monster let out a squelchy whine as he flew through the air. He landed and turned to look for his attacker. Instead he met a whip of flame that seemed to be controlled back a small figure in a dark ninja suit. However, she wasn't the source of the chameleon spirit. That had come from a young black guy with close-cut hair and a barely there goatee. "I would suggest a retreat," he said in an accent that sounded suspiciously similar to Ifetayo Kotze's to Taran's ear.

"Right on, mate. We'll take care of this while we can," said the ninja in an Australian accent.

Lani nodded. "Let's go. They seem to a more tactical advantage than we do right now," she said.

"Agreed," Taran said and the little group teleported out.

-x-

Command Center

Three shocked and concerned groups of Rangers returned to the Command Center at nearly the same time. Though there was any number of pressing issues to be addressed, and all of them wanted to know about them all it at once, Tai needed them to be quiet. Taran put two fingers in his mouth and let out a loud, shrill whistle.

Win clapped his hands over his ears. He was still suffering from the blast from Saksor. Lammy went to check on him since Danny was okay to stand on his own. The whistle had its intended effect.

Tai crossed his arms over his chest. "Billie," he prompted.

Billie blanched, but took heart when Nathan came up behind her and put his hands on her shoulders. She cleared her throat. "Danny actually discovered the problem when he learned that though the Cannon was working properly it wasn't getting enough Grid energy. I don't know how to explain everything about the grid. It's a place but not really. It's like, a film of oil on the surface of reality. Morphing allows us to tap into that by punching through reality into the grid for various reasons. It stores energy, creates things from the energy and lends the energy into reality. When weapons are created and sent into the Grid, they become part of the matrix.

"Anyway, basically our ability to access the grid has been waning drastically the past few weeks and we didn't even realize until Danny began having trouble with the Cannon. It draws on much more energy than our Power Suits and Weapons combined. Tests were inconclusive but we began to suspect the access to the grid would eventually cut off. I have no idea how to reopen the access again. I don't know enough about it," she added lamely.

"Neither do I," Dr. Bill admitted, speaking up for the first time. "It will take some time to go through all the channels necessary to contact the scientists of Eltar," he explained.

"And we got right now problems," Chloe declared, looking at the three different scenes of animal spirits and ninja powers trying to hold at bay three powerful monsters under a darkened sky being monitored on the view screens. "We should be helping," she declared. There was a murmur of agreement with that sentiment.

Tai was wont to agree with her as well, but he didn't get the opportunity to voice his opinion as the Phantom Ranger appeared in the middle of the Command Center holding a large black case. Carlos and Justin appeared as well, other Elder Rangers were beginning to trickle in, all concerned with recent developments. "That will be taken care of. You all have things to do. The bridges to the Grid are closed but they can be reopened," he said.

"If access to the Grid is closed, how are you like that?" Tai asked, raising a brow.

Phantom chose not to answer. "Carlos and Justin have been authorize to temporarily deputize four volunteers to join the Senturion Squad. Not any of you," he added before the current Rangers could volunteer. "Though our allies out there are formidable, they'll need help. The Senturions don't use the Grid," he explained. Justin and Carlos opened a silver case they'd been holding. Inside were four Senturion Squad badges. Before the Galactic Police Department had been purchased by Space Patrol Delta, they'd been expecting to have a whole team.

"Me!" Cassie spoke up, holding up her hand.

"Count me in," Tommy said.

"And me," TJ volunteered.

Kat wanted to volunteer but suspected her nursing skills would come in handier. "Here," Kim spoke up.

Justin and Carlos quickly passed out the badges. "Just pin them to your chest and activate Senturion-Mode," Carlos explained.

"I'll go with TJ to the airport. Tommy and Cassie head to the Dojo. Carlos and Kim can tackle the last one," Justin said. He double-tapped his badge. "Blue Senturion Mode!" A strange network of wires and metallic pieces sprang from the badge and built the Blue Senturion armor around him.

TJ double-tapped the badge he'd been given. "Red Senturion Mode!"

Cassie double-tapped her badge. "Pink Senturion Mode!"

Tommy double-tapped his badge. "Black Senturion Mode!"

Kim double-tapped her badge. "Yellow Senturion Mode!"

Carlos double-tapped his badge. "Green Senturion Mode!"

The Senturion Squad then teleported to the city to help face down the monsters.

"The rest of you should go to the city and help where you can. There will be a lot of injured people and damage to the city. Shelters will also be swarmed," Tai told the rest of the Elder Rangers,

"Unless you’re pregnant. Then you go to the Medi-Lab and try not to stress too much," Lani added pointedly at Karone.

Karone started to object, but Kat took charge of her. The two women were growing close. What remaining former Rangers there were began to filter out.

"Not you two," Phantom said when Melody and Zara prepared to go try and make themselves useful as well.

"What? Why? We can do that much," Zara growled.

"Do you mean we get to help here?" Melody asked hopefully.

Phantom but his black case on a console. "That's exactly what I'm saying," he said.

"So, is this the part where you tell us how to fix things?" Fox asked.

"This is the part where I'd say something about prophecies but we'll skip all that. Let's just say they've been worried about something like this happening for a while and have been working on a way to fix it when it happened. There's only two things powerful enough to fix it. We already have one of them but we have to get the other one," Phantom said.

"What are they?" Lammy asked.

"The thing that we don't have is Zordon's Staff. It's an incredibly powerful object. So much so that when he was contained in his interdimensional-tube, he had Alpha 1 break it into five pieces and hide it across five different times. Each piece only exists in that time. It's well hidden and guarded. Only Power Rangers would have a chance of finding all five pieces and putting them together."

"So, er, what? How do we get to them if they don't exist...now?" Manny asked.

Phantom opened the case and showed them what was within.

"Lego People?" Nathan asked. Within the box was five sets of small Power Ranger shaped figures. Each set represented different teams.

"No offense, mate, but I have plenty of those," Fox said.

"Obviously they ain't Legos," Danny said, rolling his eyes. "But what they are, I have no idea," he added.

"They're Morph Keys. They allow to temporarily access the morphing capabilities of another Ranger. This is extremely dangerous to do because that means the real Ranger of the time period can't access his or her power while you're using it. It's a last resort measure. They'll also lead you to the staff piece. Once you have the piece, you'll return here, to this time and place. If you end up in the past, try not to interact too much. If you end up in the future, try not to learn too much," he instructed.

He took out one set of Keys one at a time and set them on the console before him. "Tori, Wood, Nathan, Lammy," he called out.

Tori grabbed the little figure of a Pink Ranger. Wood eagerly grabbed up the Red Key. Nathan and Lammy respectively took the Blue and Yellow Keys. They winked out of existence in that time and place.

"That's kind of freaky," Fox said apprehensively.

"Fate of the world stuff tends to be freaky," Chloe murmured quietly.

Phantom ignored them and moved on to the next set. "Taran, Chloe, Manny." Taran took the Red Key, Chloe the Pink Key and Manny the Yellow Key. They, also winked out of existence.

Afterwards, there was no more banter. "Winter, Danny, Holly."

"Me?" Holly asked, surprised. She was the Zord girl, not the action girl.

Phantom nodded. "Yes, you," he said.

Swallowing hard, Holly took the Yellow Key, Danny took the Blue Key and Taran took the Red Key. They winked out.

Phantom moved on. "Lani, Fox, Sora, Zara."

Tai gave Lani's hand a squeeze before she went and grabbed the Red Key. Fox took the Blue Key. Sora took the Black Key and Zara took the Silver Key. They winked out as well.

Phantom set out the remaining three keys. They were familiar to all. "This is the most important piece. Know it or even believe it or not, the three of you are among the most special of an incredibly special group of Rangers," he said gravely.

Melody clenched the fist of her right hand. Tai raised a brow but Billie just looked grouchy. Tai shook his head and grabbed the Red Key. Mel took the Pink Key and Billie took the Yellow Key and they also winked out of existence.

"Okay, Beez. You can drop the hologram," Phantom stated when only they and Billy were left in the Command Center. The visage of the Phantom Ranger faded from around Jason. Still he wore a leather uniform reminiscent of his Phantom Power Suit.

"What now?" Billy asked.

"Now we wait and hope they make it back."

-xTo Be Continuedx-           

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment