Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - A Day In Besaid

Everything went wrong in Paine’s life, from her older sister’s death, to her Crimson Squad episode… Everything except him that is… Baralai... Now he’s disappeared, and he was all that was left for her. Can she rise to the task and defend all she

Chapter 1 - A Day In Besaid

Chapter 1 - A Day In Besaid


Note: The entire thing is very Evanescence inspired!!!!! I'll put recommendations for music later if you on. Oh, and about the warning, that's for MUCH later chapters! Also, “hia” = “yes” in Japanese



Chapter 1


A day in Besaid



Paine, a young girl of only ten skipped down the street, her long sandy brown hair lagged out behind her. Her older sister, nineteen-year-old Sakurako, was further up the trail. She smiled and rolled her eyes at site of her younger sister bounding toward her. Paine and Sakurako were visiting Besaid. Their parents had both died when the girls were young, their father was killed by Sin just after their mother had become pregnant with Paine her mother died during birth leaving Sakurako to raise her sister who she named Paine, in hopes she would never see any. The girls lived in Luca Sakurako was a waitress and struggled to feed them, but they got by. “Paine! Come on! The beach isn't that far!”




Sakurako began running again as they rounded the corner she gasped, the Besaid beach was the most beautiful place she'd ever seen! She had saved up for months to get passes for ships, and it was defiantly worth it! All they had to do was show their passes and they could sail to anywhere for a year! She planed to find a job as a maid on a ship and Paine wanted to be a fiend hunter so she figured with passes they could do both and get to travel all over Spira, believe it or not this was only Paine's first time on Besaid.




Paine was just now rounding the corner at the end of the path toward the beach. She gasped as her auburn eyes scanned to open seascape.




“So… What do you think?” Sakurako inquired looking kind of odd with her violet eyes and black hair that seemed to have a purple tint, on this blue and gold beach, like a lone raven in some in a strange place, but… She wasn't alone; she had her small almost as abnormal looking sister. Despite their looks both girls were beautiful.




“I love it how did you find this place!” Paine jumped up and hugged her sister; she was in full aw of the graceful, raven-like girl.




“It's a secret! Now, shall we swim? Or shall we sit on this beach and die from this heat?” Sakurako laughed and gave her small warrior a gentle push toward the water.




“Let's swim!” Paine began running and splashing into the water. Sakurako cast a small water spell creating a plum of water below Paine lifting her high into the air. Sakurako fought with magic, though fighting in general wasn't a skill of hers, whenever they ran into a fiend Paine insisted on battling it with physical attacks on her own, so Sakurako didn't get much practice.




“Sakurako! Let me down!” Paine giggled, as she bounced up and down on her small bed of water.
She loved her sister so much, she worked all day while Paine went to school, and all her work all her life seemed to revolve around making Paine's life perfect. Finally Sakurako lowered Paine into the ocean.



Just then more people began coming onto the beach, the Besaid Aurochs, a local blitzball team. “Hey! I don't know you girls… You not from around here, ya?” a young man -about seventeen-- with orange hair was leading the group, came onto the beach, speaking with his thick Besaid accent he seemed friendly.



“I'm Sakurako and this is…” her words were quickly cut off by the young girl running up the beach full speed.



“I'm Paine! And this is my sister! This is the first time we've been to Besaid! We're from Luca! Actually, Sakurako went to Besaid before I was born but…” Sakurako clapped her hand over the Paine's mouth; “Sakurako!” came a muffled yell from Paine.



“That's my sister for you!” Sakurako gave Paine a shove and lifted her hand.



The man began laughing, “I'm Wakka! Captain of the Besaid Aurochs!”



“Your not the captain Wakka!”



“Your just subbing while the captain takes a break!” came the yells from the other players; one gave Wakka a playful smack on the back of the head.



“Close enough, ya!” he defended, “Hey, you girls ever gone to a blitzball game before?”



“Once when Paine was very young…” Sakurako regretted not taking Paine to another game recently.



“I know! You could watch practice, ya! …If you want to that is…” Wakka smiled.



“Oh that would be wonderful!” Sakurako clasped her hands together, bringing them to the level of her collarbone. The raven girl cocked her head, Wakka seemed to not be able to lift his eyes from her, she smiled, Sakurako worked in a rather scanty restaurant—the only one to take a dropout-- so she was used to it.



“Yeah… Ummm… Oh! This is Yuna!” A small eleven-year-old girl was shoved from the crowd of blitzball players; Wakka bent down toward Paine and whispered, she's the daughter of Lord Braska!” Paine knew who Lord Braska was, he had defeated Sin when she was seven, and everyone hoped his daughter would be equally successful, Sin had just recently turned up again.



“You're Lord Braska's daughter!” Paine's eyes widened, as Yuna nodded. “That's so cool!!!” Yuna looked up at Wakka with a devilish smile.



“Hey, what's that look for!” Wakka asked frowning at Yuna, semi embarrassed.



“Oh nothing!” Yuna giggled and whispered in Paine's ear: “Wakka likes your sister, I can tell!” the two girls began to giggle more then they ran toward the water.



An awkward silence hung in the air between Wakka and Sakurako, eventually broken by Wakka “So… You been to blitzball games before, you ever think about playin'?”



“Blitzball? No… It dose look like fun though!” Sakurako seemed excited she had always loved water and she admired the players.



“Why don't you try? It's a great game, ya?”



“Hai! I will play! I know the rules already… but there isn't a sphere around here… is there?” Sakurako glanced around, blitzball spheres were large one of them would easily tower above the trees and ruins of Besaid.



“Who needs a sphere when you go the ocean!” Wakka handed Sakurako a small mouthpiece, “If you're not used to holding your breath for a long time you can use this! It extracts the Oxygen from the water so you can breath! …Or at least that's what I think it dose… Oh well, it doesn't matter! So long as you can play, ya?”




“Hai! Let's go!” Sakurako descended into the water with the rest
of the team and they began playing skirmishes, Sakurako wasn't that bad for a beginner, while Paine and Yuna giggled and played.



The afternoon went on, they enjoyed their day until long after dark, when everyone was tired they headed into the village and had a bonfire.



Paine yawned, it was getting late and she was tired, but she didn't want her day to end, not now not ever. “Sakurako, why don't you sing something… please?”



“Me why?” Sakurako was a talented singer, but she only sang to Paine when she was upset.



“Sakurako please! I know you're gonna make me go to bed soon! And you're gonna end up singing some time tonight! Come on!” Paine begged, yawing every few seconds. Yuna, who also had to go to bed soon, echoed her, and she wanted to hear Sakurako sing, she liked to herself because her mother used to sing to her, before she died, killed by Sin.



“Fine, fine, just for you girls.” Sakurako peered down at them her gaze hardened, “You do have to go to bed soon after though, got it?”



“Hai!” Paine exclaimed as Yuna nodded her head rapidly.



Sakurako stood up and closed her eyes. She sang Suteki da ne (everyone knows that song! It was the background music in FFX during the Yuna/Tidus love scene… Note: part of the song was cut off in the game!).



Paine kept her eyes closed and moved her head to the music. She didn't know what the words meant, but she knew when the song started it was sad song, of loss maybe, but progressively it became happy, a song of moving on to better things, a song of ultimate redemption… That's what Paine though anyway,
Sakurako sang it to her a lot and when she was sad, even if Sakurako wasn't around to sing it to her, it played in her head, those thoughts of loss and redemption were what always kept her going, and maybe, they always would. Paine let her mind drift until she thought of how Sakurako tried to teach her to sing, her voice was much lower then Sakurako's so it was hard, but she liked it all the same. When the song was over everyone clapped but everyone was sad the song had to end, it was so beautiful. Sakurako bowed and shortly after they all dispersed and went to sleep.



--Next day--



Paine yawned, and stretched glancing at the clock, it was 8:56am, Sakurako and her had stayed in Wakka's hut the previous night, Sakurako in the extra bed and Paine on a mat on the floor. The hut was empty and she heard voices outside, when Paine went outside Yuna, who was boasting about how she would be the best summoner ever to the blitzball players, raced toward her.



“Paine, you're up! Why do you have to leave so soon?” Yuna pouted.



“I have to go back to school tomorrow… Where do you go to school?” Paine looked down the knit dress she was wearing and her leather knee-high boots sadly, she adjusted she sword sheathed around her waist, she always carried it in case of fiends.



“I don't! Wakka and Lulu, a girl who lives here too, teach me school stuff, I mostly practice summoning though, I wanna be a summoner, but none of the aeons will answer me yet! Lulu tells me to be patient but I really wanna summon!” Yuna sighed and pointed toward the path to the beach, “Sakurako and Wakka are already at the dock, we'd better hurry!” Yuna and Paine began running toward the beach.



“Hey sleepy head! How long ya been up, huh?” Wakka called from the dock waving his hand.



“Not long. Sakurako, do we really have to go now?” Paine leaned on her sister sadly.



“I'm afraid so… If we now, the boat to Luca won't arrive until night… I'm sorry.” Sakurako smiled in attempt to hide her disappointment, she wanted to stay forever, but Paine needed school and she had a job. “Maybe we can come back someday, would that be alright?”



“Hai!” Paine hugged her sister.



“Go get settled into the ship Paine.” Sakurako patted Paine on the head as she waved and went into the ships cabin.



“Well it's a shame you have to go…” Wakka rubbed the back of his neck as he continued, “Poor Yuna here doesn't have any other girls her age on the island, she gets so bored has nothing to do but prey, she wants so badly to be a summoner… But it'd do her some good to have someone her age to play with, ya?”



“Hai… We'll try to come back sometime soon… Thank you for you hospitality Wakka…” Sakurako kissed him on the cheek, he blush and placed a hand to his cheek.



“Well, I… Uhhh… hope to see you again soon…” Wakka stuttered.



“Hai.” That was the last thing Sakurako said before she got onto the ship. Wakka watched as the ship carrying the small warrior and the raven girl left the small dock.



As soon as the ship had slipped from the horizon, Yuna tugged on Wakka's shirt. “What is it Yuna…?”



“Remember yesterday when I whispered something to Paine, and when I was looking at you like that… I told Paine you like Sakurako… And you do… Why didn't you tell her? Maybe she would have stayed?” Yuna frowned; she looked like she was on the brink of crying because her new friends had to leave.



“I'm sorry Yuna… It's not that simple…” Wakka sighed and hoisted Yuna into the air. “You'll see Paine again… Now come on, let's get back to the village tell Lu about you're adventure, ya?”



“Hai!” Yuna giggled.



“You picked that up from Paine, ya?”



“Hai!”



“Come on you! We gotta go.” Wakka put Yuna down, and began walking back toward the village

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

AntiMortal on July 20, 2005, 8:47:54 AM

AntiMortal on
AntiMortalCute! I have a question though. When you say Evanescence inspired, are you reffering to the time when Amy's sister died? I'm not sure if it's true or not, but a friend of mine told me that Amy lost her younger sister awhile back.