Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 4 - The Colossus

After the Battle of Long Valley, the KH team reached the waning stage of their adventure.

Chapter 4 - The Colossus

Chapter 4 - The Colossus
The Colossus


Riku and Sora found themselves in what looked like a vast pasture field, green and lush, filled with life. In the distance were lush forests and tall mountains and rolling hills. Upon the ground, stray birds and silver-tailed lizards scurried about in search of food.
Where are we? Sora wondered.
Hey, Sora, Riku said, Look at us.
The key bearers looked at one another. They were no longer in their black Imperial uniforms. Rather, now they had changed in a more Celtic or mythical style of wardrobe. Both of them wore light woolen, short sleeved shirts with a early style of stitch, made of horse hair or some other type of fiber. That shirt was then covered by a sleeveless leather vest. Both vest and shirt were fastened by a dark brown waste belt, wielding a series of metal strips covered in fur, perhaps to muffle any clanking sound. They wore knee lengthen shorts which caressed their youthful legs. They too were stitched together with a strong fiber substance. The entire entourage was covered by an elaborate tapestry or serape that draped down to their knees concealing both front and back, but their shoulders and flanks were completely visible. Upon their arms wore leather armguards tainted a mix of brown and green with woolen cloth at the near the elbow joint to act as an enforcer. On their legs were woolen warmers fastened by leather straps which weaved their way down the shins of the key bearers and fastened to sandal footwear.
We have new clothes. Sora pulled as some of the fabric, rubbing it through his fingers. This is real alright.
Well, Thundro said that there would be some changes. Riku said.
So I wonder what our first mission is. Sora looked around to see where they were. But as he looked to the rear, he was awe struck by an incredible sight. His eyes grew wide with admiration and fear. Riku, look&
What is it? Riku turned only to react the same way. Before them was towering castle ruin like nothing theyd ever seen. The top tier of the ruin had to be at least a thousand feet up. Scattered amidst the ruins were what looked like the pillars of fallen bridges, perhaps centuries, or millenniums old. My God, what is this place?
I dont know. It was than that something else Caught Soras eye. Riku, look at those! He pointed to the skyline. In the distance, beams of light seemed to spurt out into the atmosphere. Sora counted them. There are thirteen of those lights altogether.
I wonder what they are.-
I dont know. Lets go into that old castle and see if theres anyone who could help us.-
Good idea.-
The key bearers went into the castle. They came before what looked like a great hall. On each side of the chamber, there were a series of what looked like large storage spaces towering at least three stories tall, which might have been used to bear some kind of massive object. On the floor of these gigantic compartments, what looked like mountains of stone rubble were piled up, indicating that something of a large scale had been demolished within the compartment. It soon became apparent to the key bearers what once stood in each space. At the very far end of the chamber, three great statues still occupied their own cubbies. At the top of the structure, a bright beam of light entered the chamber, dispersing the shadows. The mere sight of the masonry structure, the statues, and the castles interior, though old and ancient, spurred intrigue within the hearts of the key bearers.
I bet this used to be a really nice place way back when. Sora remarked.
Hello, Riku cried, Is anyone here? There was no answer.
Riku, Sora grabbed his friends shoulder.
What is it now? The two then happened to look upon what looked like a stone alter constructed to overlook the landscape. And upon that stone alter rested a fair young maiden in a pure white dress. The key bearers rushed to see if she was okay. Miss, are you alright?
But the moment Riku touched the girl, his hand was repulsed. She was as cold as ice, indicating only one thing, that she was dead. Sora put his hand on her forehead. The minute he touched her icy skin, he drew his hand away.
The girl is dead. Sora said.
Thats for sure. Riku added.
I wonder who she was.-
What boggles me more is how she got here. Riku took hold of her hand then let it fall. Her body hasnt stiffened. That means she must have died not too long ago.
It was at that moment that a strange chill touched the hairs on the necks of the key bearers. They stiffened up, uneasy of the wind that brushed up against them.
Did you feel that?-
I did. They turned to the vast chamber before them. It seemed to grow darker.
No sooner had the chill caught their attention, a deep, growling voice was heard from above.
Who is it that dares to trespass upon this forbidden soil? the voice implied.
Whos there? Sora demanded. Come out and show yourself!
Well, well, so two others have come upon this cursed land searching for the answer to the universal question.-
Who are you? Riku asked.
I am known as Lord Dormin. The voice replied. I am the master of all you see, from the great gate to the north, to the lake of mists in the east, the mountain passes of the west, and the high sea cliffs in the south.
Dormin, eh, where are you? Sora wanted to know.
I am here, all around thee.-
Really, and what are you here for anyway?-
I have been summoned because a young man had come to seek my help to revive his deceased love.-
Deceased love, are you talking about that girl on the Alter?-
That is correct. He had come seeking my help after hearing of the mystic powers of this land. He thus engages in a quest to fulfill his wish.-
And what does he have to do? Riku asked.
The young man, Wander his name is, must finish a task in order to resurrect the young woman. He must first defeat the sixteen Colossi who roam this land.-
Colossi&?-
Yes&-
But what are Colossi? Sora asked.
Behold to the very end of the chamber. The key bearers looked to the compartments again. In each of those chambers a statue or at least a former statue of a colossus would stand. In order to fulfill his goal, Wander must destroy each of the statues. But destroying the statues cannot be done by mortal hands. He must first destroy the beast that is linked to each statue. As thee can see, already a majority of the statues have crumbled, indicating that he is already half way through with his task. He needs only to defeat three more.-
So thats what those pillars of light are in the distance. Those must belong to the colossi hes defeated already.-
That is correct. And once he has defeated all sixteen colossi, then the deed is done and his wishes can be fulfilled.-
Just then, one of three colossi statues remaining began to glow a strange white light. Then, there was a loud crack and the statue crumbled to its foundations.
What the heck was that? Sora asked.
The statue just crumbled. Riku said. But that must mean that&
Ah, yes, Wander has defeated another colossus, the infamous Cerrebus colossi of the western city ruins.-
It was at that moment, a bright light flashed within the interior of the chamber. And there, lying on the ground was the figure of a young man.
Is that him? Sora thought.
That must be the guy. Riku implied.
And so the mighty hero returns. Dormin said.
Riku and Sora ran up to the young man and helped him up.
Hey, are you alright? Sora asked as the young man was lifted to his feet. But the moment that they laid eyes on him, the key bearers were shocked. Wander, though a young man did not bear the complexion of a young man. His face was almost a ghostly white, strips of dead skin hung from his cheeks. The veins in his neck could be seen, pumping what looked like black blood. His eyes had turned pale. He was not a handsome youth, but rather one who might have already been dead.
Who&who are you? Wander asked.
Im Sora and thats by pal Riku.-
Sora, Riku, what brings you here?-
I dont know. But we understand that youre trying to defeat these colossi.-
Who told you that?-
Dormin did.-
Man, what happened to him? Riku thought. Is this kid alive or dead?
I&I have to keep going. Wander said. He staggered and approached the great beam of light in the chamber. I have defeated the beast of the western ruins as you have instructed, Dormin.
Very good, Wander, Dormin replied with that deep mysterious voice, Thou have not too far to go. Thy next foe is& Dormin began to speak in archaic poetry, A giant has fallen into the valley. It acts as a sentry to a destroyed city.
I understand, the ruined city in the Northeast. Wander staggered towards the Alter and stood before his lifeless love. I shall bring you back to life, my love, even at the cost of my own soul.
Man, Sora said to Riku. He must really be desperate.
No kidding, Riku replied.
Is there any way we can help, Wander?-
Do you wish to accompany me on my quest? Wander asked.
Yeah, thats what were here for&I think.-
Very well then, I could use the extra help. However, I have one condition that you must follow.-
And whats that? Riku asked.
If you help me fight, you must allow me to give the finishing blow. I must slay all sixteen colossi with my own hands in order for my task to be done properly.-
We understand.-
Well let you do the killing then. Sora said.
Wander walked over the edge of the alter platform and whistled loudly. In the distance, the sound of a horse galloping and whinnying emerged over the vast grasslands. Sure enough, a large, black horse, with a white spot dashed upon his forehead, came running through the fields, ran up the stairs leading to the alter and presented himself before Wander. Wander came up and padded his faithful steed.
There we are, Agro. Wander cooed to the horse. Easy, boy, He turned to the key bearers. This is my beloved companion, Agro. Hes been with me since the beginning of my quest.
I see.-
Come on, you two, jump up.-
I dont think theres enough room on that horse for all three of us though. Riku said.
Theres plenty of room. Wander held out his hand.
Are you sure its alright? Sora asked. Agro might get spooked.
No, hes good around other people, arent you boy. The Horse gave his rider a whinny. Now come on, we dont have all day.
Go on, Sora. Riku said.
Okay, here I go. Sora grabbed onto Wanders hand and was pulled upon the back of the black stallion. Riku was assisted soon after.
Now, Agro, Wander declared, Lets go to the city in the desert.
Agro neighed and galloped out of the castle. The trio turned northeast to the very edge of the forbidden lands. Along the way, the trio gazed upon beautiful landscapes, waterfalls from out of the mountains, beautiful lakes that poured into the sea miles to the west. Rolling hills and strange rock formations featured about the region, especially narrow, natural rock bridges that the key bearers had never seen before. Then, they passed through a sandy desert where again those silver tailed lizards imprinted their tracks.
No more than thirty minutes had passed before the trio reached the ruined city to which Dormin said they would find the next of the colossi. It was a vast ruin with many of its stone structures still standing. The three dismounted Agro and walked in though a grand gate, where old rune pillars were standing tall, on both sides of the entry chamber, within the structure. Some had collapsed over the years, obstructing their way in. But that did not halt the young men as they climbed over the rubble.
So this is it, eh? Riku asked.
Look at this place. Sora awed. These ruins must be centuries old.
This once was a thriving metropolis in the time of my ancestors. Wander said. Or so the elders say.
Hey, Wander, this may be too personal of a question, but what happened to you?-
What do you mean?-
I mean your face and complexion. You look pale, and I hope you dont take this offensively, but you look more like the living dead.-
Did you have to be so direct, Sora? Riku grumbled.
Its alright, Wander replied, I was rather shocked the first time too. I didnt always look like a walking corpse with my pale skin and my black blooded veins and peeling flesh. When I started this journey, my complexion was no different from yours. I was a very handsome young man. However, as I battled against the colossi, defeating one after the other, I noticed that my complexion started to change. Around defeating the tenth colossi, I came to realize how much my body had deteriorated. I happened to look and saw my reflection in the lake waters while getting something to drink and when I first laid eyes on my haggard appearance, I was terrified. I was a past figure of my former self, no longer the handsome youth I once was. I had become decrepit and hideous with my white complexity and pale eyes.
But how did this happen?-
It happens every time I defeat another colossus. A strange surge of energy strikes me, as if it were the vengeful spirit of the beast. Its a dark essence that always enters me. And as a result, you see the consequence. The more energy I absorb from the colossi, the more unfathomable I look. But I cant stop now when I am so close to the end. Though I did not want to bear this distorted form, I dont want to think that all my efforts are in vain. I do this for my love. As I said before, I would sacrifice even my soul in order to bring her back to life.
Have you ever regretted taking this task? Sora asked.
I at times regretted going on this mission. For one thing, when my love does return back to life, I wonder what she will think of me with my body wasted from absorbing the dark life force of the colossi. Even now that same question plagues me. I dont know whether or not she could ever love me again. I wonder if it really was for love, or if it was just my youth and my body that she cherished.-
If she truly loves you, then shell accept you no matter what you look like on the outside. Its whats inside that matter.-
Hey, you two, Riku said, Look!
Before the three young men, a row of great columns lay before them. Beyond that was a vast courtyard surrounded by older building structures.
This is incredible. Sora remarked. Ive never seen anything like this before.
So its here that well find the next colossus right?-
As far as I know, Wander replied, This is the place, the ruins to the extreme northeast of the realm.
One thing still boggles me though. Sora was curious to know. What does this colossus look like?
I have no idea. Ive encounter a massive array of different colossi forms, from four legged monsters, to serpents that glide in water, or sand, or even soar high into the air. Ive encountered beasts no bigger than a tiger, lizard-like colossi and especially the Minotaur colossi. Theyre the ones you really have to watch out for.-
So how big do you think this next on will be?-
But no sooner had Sora said that, a distant rumbling bellowed in the distance, causing the ruins to rattle and shake.
Look, over there! Riku cried. The trio turned to find at the very end of the vast courtyard, leading to a steep ravine of jagged rocks, a large form emerged. First there were two dark grey hands that slammed onto the edge of the cliffs edge. Big and furry they were, extending twenty feet long from wrist to middle finger. Then uplifted a great grey and black beast covered in fur. Wielded in its right hand, the beast gripped a massive stone club shaped like a jagged scimitar, which was meant to pummel and smash its foes. Its left arm was completely armored with old bronze or iron plating at the shoulder. And upon the face of the colossus, a frightening mask. It towered over the key bearers and Wander with a height of at least five to six stories, a leviathan of a monster as anyone would have seen.
My God, thats the colossus?!-
I guess that answers your question, Sora. You wanted big and now you got it!-
How the heck are we supposed to battle that thing?-
We have to use our wits! Wander said. But we have a slight advantage now.
Hows that?-
The colossus can only go after us one at a time. To add, he might be big, but hes slow. Lets split up and confuse him a bit.-
I understand. Riku replied. The three split up.
But you still havent told us about how were gonna defeat that thing. Sora said. But Wander was already out of ear shot and the colossus was still advancing. Its glowing blue eyes stared at Sora, giving the key bearer the hint that he would be the first victim. Great, out of the three of us, why does it have to be me he goes after first?!
Sora ran with key blade in hand as the colossus stormed after him like a bull elephant. Sora tried to fly, but to his dismay, he could not lift himself into the air.
Oh no, dont tell me that I cant fly in this world. Of all the things to be restricted, it had to be that. The key bearer happened to look back at the colossus. The beast at that moment drew up its club and thrust it down, hoping to strike Sora where he stood. The young warrior predicted the monsters attack and quickly eluded. However, the reach of the colossus was more than what Sora had expected and the club struck no more than ten yards away from him. The vibration of the impact caused him to stumble, but he quickly regained his foot hold and dodge rolled further out of the way to avoid any possible injury.
Sora, Riku cried.
Riku, Riku, Riku, get this walking throw rug off my back!-
Cant you just fly to safety?-
You think Id be down here if that were an option?! This worlds natural law forbids the flight ability!-
Are you serious?-
Yes!-
Damn it&-
Again, the colossus struck, stomping his foot to the ground. Sora was knocked off his feet as the impact of the monsters lower limb caused the soil to upheaval. The key bearer crawled as fast as he could before jumping back on his feet and running as fast as he could. Dont you dare stomp on me, rat face!
Hang on Sora, Riku cried. He began to accumulate the flame element to unleash Cinder Canister. Well, its good to see that magic works in this realm. The seven spheres of intense flames lit up the ruins. Here you go, big guy, choke on this!
All at once, the seven orbs of fire rushed in and pummeled the monster at point blank range. Riku smirked as he felt the heat singe the colossus, but his smile soon evaporated. As the smoke and flames diminished, he saw that no damage whatsoever had been inflicted on the monster. The colossus had received no damage.
I dont believe this, not even a scratch.-
Rikus attack was completely ineffective against that thing. Sora said to himself. Sora rushed in. Now, its my turn! He drew forth the ice element. Lets see you eat this, Tundra Canister! The ice froze the monsters right leg, immobilizing it momentarily. Now lets see you take this on! Sora then unleashed an energy beam from his keyblade, striking the monster in the face. I got him! But like Riku before him, there was no effect. Awe come on, that was point blank in the face and yet that thing still isnt hurt, not a scratch on him.
Riku, Sora, Wander cried. The key bearers spotted him from atop a bridge overlooking the entire courtyard.
How the heck did you get up there? Riku asked.
Listen to me, you guys. You cant defeat the colossus just by striking it. You have to hit its vital points.-
Vital points, where are they?-
Look, Wander drew up his sword and reflected the sunlight from off its shining surface. A thin beam reflected from the sword, touched the colossus. It was then that a strange insignia appeared when the light touched a certain part of the monsters body.
What is that? Sora wondered.
Those points that retain the light, in those strange insignias, are the weak points of the colossus! We strike them all and the colossus goes down!-
How many impact points does he have?-
Ive so far counted only two weak spots! One is on the left side of his chest and the other is on the top of its head!
Is that so? Riku said. If thats the case, he looked down at Sora, Sora, can you immobilize this guy for a while?! We need him to stand still for a moment!
I sure can! Sora replied.
Wander, you aim for the head! Ill go for the chest!-
I gotcha, Wander replied.
The three situated themselves around the colossus with Sora standing before it, Riku to its right and Wander on the bridge above it. Sora accumulated more ice.
Okay, big guy, he declared, Its your turn! I summon wind and ice to my command, Tundra Twister! Using a combo attack with Tundra Canister and Twister Strike, Sora created a freezing funnel cloud that engulfed the colossus. Its feet and arms were encased in a sheet of thick ice, thus immobilizing it for the time being.
My turn, Riku declared, Power of wind, power of fire, I summon you forth to send this demon back to hell, Flaming Hurricane! Using a combination of Cinder Canister and Hurricane strike, flaming projectiles struck the colossus left and right. The majority of them struck the light insignia, where its weak spot resided. Sora, its your turn, aim for the chest!
I got it! Sora fired another energy beam straight at the light insignia. The impact was so great that within seconds, the insignia diminished, indicating that the job was successfully executed.
At the same time, Rikus Flaming Hurricane had struck a vital spot on the beasts right arm, forcing it to drop its club. The thing, still encased in ice, remained immobile, but with flames and ice swirling about, the icy prison began to melt and the colossus was about to break free.
Hurry, Wander, Sora cried, The colossus is gonna break my ice shield soon!
Im on it! Wander leaped from the bridge and landed atop the monsters head, just as it broke free. Under-handing his blade, he thrust the sword deep into the head of the leviathan. The colossus, overcome by loss o needed energy, collapsed to the ground. Sora quickly ran to avoid being crushed by the falling monster.
Get out of there, Sora! Riku cried. Within a few feet, the monster collapsed just as Sora evaded, missing him by a narrow margin. Wander too fell from atop the colossus, rolling and tumbling along the ground. They both looked at the fallen monster.
That was close.-
We did it, you guys. Riku cheered as he descended from the ruins. We took down the colossus.
That was one intense fight. Sora dusted himself off. We did a pretty good job, dont you think, Wander?
But Wanders mind somehow seemed occupied.
Are you alright, Wander?-
Somethings not right. Wander said. Somethings wrong.
What do you mean somethings wrong? Riku asked.
Usually, the colossus body would have been engulfed in shadow by now.-
Without warning, the Colossus suddenly lifted its right arm up and landed upon the trio.
Look out! The key bearers quickly evaded, but they watched as Wander was struck by the full force of the monsters palm.
Wander, Sora cried.
Wander, The key bearers were concerned and ran to the beasts fallen hand. Wander, speak to us! Are you alright?
Just then, Wander appeared from beneath the stone like fingers and brushed himself off.
Hey, Wander, youre alright. Riku sighed.
What happened? Sora asked.
I turns out we missed as spot. Wander replied.
Yeah&?
Where was it? Riku wanted to know.
The last weak spot was in the palm of his right hand. Wander continued. The three looked to the colossus which now lay motionless on the ground.
Is it over now? Sora asked. No sooner had he said those words then strange dark shadows engulfed the monster.
Its over. The body of the colossus is diminishing.-
That means you only have one left.-
Just then, dark waves struck Wander, knocking him unconscious. The key bearers were shocked.
Wander! Riku cried. The two caught him as he fell. They put him on his back.
Wander, are you alright?-
I think hes out cold, Sora-
Out cold, but how?-
It might have been due to that surge of darkness.-
Well, now what do we do?-
As if things couldnt get any more bizarre, the trio suddenly found themselves levitating up in to the atmosphere.
What is going on? Sora demanded to know as this sudden levitation caught him completely by surprise. I thought we couldnt fly in this world.-
It must be some other kind of power.-
Then just like that, the three vanished into thin air, leaving the now stone and rubble remnants of the colossus left to lie within the ruined city, a reminder of yet another great battle.

The key bearers suddenly found themselves back in the temple from which they started.
The temple&? Sora uttered.
That was fast. Riku said.
What a way to travel.-
It was at that moment a bright light illuminated the very end of the chamber. The key bearers turned to see yet another statue glow brightly before crumbling to its foundations. They watched in awe as the form of the recent colossus tumbled into bits of rubble and debris. They then looked upon Wander who was still lying motionless upon the ground. He stirred and eased himself up, staggering to his feet.
Are you alright? Sora asked.
Are we back? Wander asked as he looked about.
Were back in the temple. Riku replied.
That was one heck of a fight. Sora said. That thing was tougher to battle than I thought.
Ive had to do this fifteen times now. Wander was weary. I had to battle against enemies, all different from the other. Its been tedious and at times unbearable, but soon my task will be fulfilled and my wish will be granted. Soon my beloved Mono will be revived.
Mono&?-
Thats the name of my love.-
Oh&-
I see thou hast returned again in one piece. Dormin suddenly announced above the trio.
Dormin& Riku said.
I have defeated the fifteenth colossus with the help of my friends. Wander proclaimed.
And so the climax of this task has come. Dormin declared. Thy body is weak and thy mind is weary, but all thy efforts will soon gain its just rewards. Dormin paused before speaking again. And now, the final colossi, thou will find it beyond the great gates to the south. The ritual is nearly over and thy wish is nearly granted.
I am glad&-
But someone now stands to get in thy way.-
Someone&?-
Make haste for time is short. Dormins voice thus diminished for the time being.
Someones gonna stand in your way? Sora asked.
Whose gonna stand in your way? Riku added.
It may be the elders coming to stop me. Wander replied.
Stop you, but why?-
When they told me about the legend behind these lands and the power that resided here, I said that I wanted to use that power in order to restore the life of Mono. But they forbade me to do so, saying that these lands were also cursed and that trying to use the forbidden spell to bring back my love would only result in ultimate suffering. But I didnt care. I just wanted my love to live again. To me, her death was the ultimate suffering. Compared to the loss of her, the pain I feel now is a trifle.-
How did she die anyway? Sora asked.
She was sacrificed because the people of our nation thought she wielded a cursed taboo and that her execution was needed to maintain the stability of this land. I didnt find any purpose in her dying. It was unjust. So I took it within my own hands to undo the sin that the elders have caused. Wander walked towards the exit. There, his faithful steed, Argo awaited their return.
Even the horse is here.-
After fifteen times of the same procedure, I wouldnt be the least bit surprised that hed come back to the temple automatically.-
Either that, or he was transported here like we were.-
Come on you two, Wander advised, We still have quite a way to go. Its a far journey to the south, at least ten miles.
Alright,-
The three mounted upon Argos back and began their trek southward to the great gates. As observed, the lands to the south were just as breathtakingly spectacular as those to the north. High peaks and rocky cliffs covered in grass and moss gave a comforting, yet foreboding look to the region. There were a few shrubs and trees they passed and some passes had a strange eerie mist lingering about, like morning fog that never fully diminished. There were vast green meadows and pastures where more of the black and silver-tailed lizards scurried about. White sky birds and hawks flew high in the sky. And on the ground, slow tortoises crawled about without a care.
This is just as nice a place as in the north. Sora said.
From deserts to the sea, Riku added, What a contrast.
Riku, Sora, Wander suddenly implied.
Yeah, what is it?-
Ive been meaning to say this to you guys for a while, but Im glad that you two decided to help me.-
Oh yeah? Sora said.
To tell you the truth, since I began this task a few days ago, Ive felt really lonely. No one, but Argo here has been with me. My horse was my only companion. Its nice to at least have someone to talk to now.-
Its the least we could do.-
Its a feeling that both Sora and I can relate to. Riku told him. Weve encountered our fair share of solitude as well.
Thank you for understanding. Wander said, his eyes tearing.
Hey, you guys, Sora shouted. Look, whats that over there?
Riku and Wander looked to a cluster of high mountains in the distance. Their resemblance looked like two large pillars with a narrow crevice between them. As they drew closer across the grasslands, it became apparent that what resided between these two natural formations was a great stone gate. At its center was a round crystal window to which light from the sun beamed down, hitting a circular platform at the base of the gates. Argo stopped upon the platform.
Well, Riku said. I guess this is the place.
What do you say we open this thing? Sora added. The three dismounted and walked up to the gates. But they came to realize that manually opening the gate by hand would be impossible. The gate itself was over a hundred feet high and made of thick, solid stone.
This is impossible. Riku folded his arms in front of him. Theres no way that we could possibly move something that massive.
You never know til you try, Riku.-
True&-
Lets give it one try, you guys.-
The three placed their hands upon the gate.
Okay, Wander said. At the count of three, we all push with everything we have.
Right, the key bearers responded.
Ready&? They leaned forward. One, two, three&!
The key bearers and Wander pushed with all their might, grunting and moaning as they used all their strength to move the gate. But despite their efforts, the gate itself did not budge one bit.
Lets try it again! Sora said.
One, two, three&! Again they pushed, hoping to jar the gate doors open at least a couple of feet, but still there was no avail.
One more time, lets give it all weve got!-
One, two, three&!-
They pushed again, their muscles flexing and tightening as they shoved at the stone doors, but still nothing happened. They wearily looked up at the gates.
This is impossible. Riku said. The gates are just too big.-
Maybe if we tried it again& Sora suggested.
It wouldnt make any difference, Sora. This is no good. We cant possibly hope to open these gates with our own strength. This gate is twice as big as the doors to Kingdom Hearts. And to make things worse, these doors are made out of stone.-
Maybe I could blast them open with an energy beam.-
Save your strength. Wander advised. Theres no use wasting energy. Besides, we need every ounce of energy to fight the last colossus.
Well, how do we open the gate?-
I have an idea. Wander pulled out his sword and stood upon the circular platform.
What are you going to do?-
If this sword can reflect light to reveal the weaknesses of the colossi, then perhaps if might be able to open this gate. Wander drew up his sword and reflected the light from off the glimmering blade. He aimed for the crystal glass in the gates design. Sure enough, the moment the beam touched the window; there was another flash of light and a low rumble.
Just then, they came to realize that gate was opening, very slowly. The ground shook as the stone doors swung open. Once opening fully on their giant hinges, they struck the sides of the rock pillars causing a mellow roar to erupt.
You did it. Sora said.
Alright, you two, Wander continued, Lets keep moving.
The three mounted Argo and proceeded to enter through the gates. They came before a series of stair flights and continued on their way. They eventually came to a bridge, leading to a higher series of stone structures. They dismounted at the mouth of the stone walkway.
The colossus must be on the other side of that bridge. Riku said.
It looks like we have some climbing to do. Sora added. Lets go!
Sora was the first to step onto the bridge, but the moment he did, the first stone block gave way beneath his feet. Sora screamed as the fell, but Riku and Wander caught him at the nick of time. Below Sora was a deep ravine with a flowing river at its bottom. There were also a series of jagged rocks just under him.
Hold on, Sora! Riku cried
Dont let me go, you two! Sora shouted.
Were not gonna let you go!-
Heave him up! Wander said.
They pulled on Soras arms and brought him up to safety. Riku embraced his friend tightly.
Thanks you guys, Sora uttered, gasping from the shock, You saved my life.
Nothing to it, Riku replied. The three stood up and looked at the bridge. Closely examining it, they realized that the bridge was fragile and able to crack beneath them if they tried to walk across. That bridge is on its last legs. It seems that any added weight will cause it to collapse like dominos.
Then, well just have to find some other way to get to the other side. Wander said. But as they looked to the left and the right, they noticed that no other connection arched between their side and the opposite. The other bridges around had collapsed over the years. Well, scratch that plan.
Theres no other way to the other side.-
Now whatll we do? Sora asked.
I hate to do this, Wander said, But we have no other choice. Wander mounted back onto Argo. Get on you guys.
What are you gonna do?-
The only other option we have right now is to jump across that bridge and cross it as fast as we can and Argos the one for the job.
Are you crazy?-
Theres nothing else we can do. Trying to find another way would only work to our disadvantage. It may take days or even weeks to find an alternative way. We have to risk this jump. Its all or nothing.-
He does have a point, Sora. Riku said.
Alright, Sora replied, But do you think Argo will be able to support us all?
He can and he will. Wander told him. The only thing you have to worry about is holding on to dear life.
Alright, then lets do it.-
The three mounted up. Wander then backed Argo far enough to give him a galloping start. Argo neighed and whinnied.
Im asking a lot from you, old friend. Wander whispered to his horse, padding him on the neck. Can you do this? Argo nodded his head, agreeing. Then, lets go!
Kicking his sides, Wander caused Argo to gallop almost instantly. Riku and Sora held on tightly so as not to fall off and into the ravine. Argos jumped upon the bridge and galloped away. Almost instantly, the bridge began to collapse. Agro made it, jumping across a gap on the other side. But as he reached the bridge mouth of the other side, the stone began to crack. Kicking up, he bucked the trio off his back, having them safely land on the stone walkways. Wander looked to find his beloved horse fall as the stone gave way beneath his hooves.
Agro, he cried.
Oh no, Sora shouted, Agro!
The three watched as the faithful stallion fell to its possible demise in the ravine. They watched as the horse fell into the river and didnt resurface. Then again, at such a deep depth, they couldnt really tell anyway. Wander reached with futility, as it he could save his horse from his plummet.
Agro& his voice wavered. He began to cry.
Wander& Sora said. He padded his back, trying to comfort him. Wander threw his head into Soras arms and cried. Its alright, Wander, its alright.
Argo, my friend, my companion, hes dead.-
That may be, Riku implied, But there is a chance that he might have survived. Hopefully that river down there was deep enough.
Do you think?-
Im positive.-
Yeah, Sora added, Im sure Argo survived.
I hope so.-
Now, lets keep going! Riku said. We have substantial climbing to do so lets not waste all that energy sulking.
Before the three, an intricate wall of steps and platforms lay before them. They began their ascension, first overcoming a large wall. They then proceeded walking up a series of natural footing in the Cliffside.
Whatever you do, Sora said, Dont look down!
Thats the thing, Sora. Riku replied. You tell people not to look down and what do they do, they look down.
They eventually came to a flight of stairs constructed into the face of the cliff. They climbed at least two flights before reaching step pillars. One at a time they ascended. By this time, rain and thunderous lightning bellowed. The winds picked up, but such terrible conditions did not deter the trio. They finally reached the summit to a series of ruins. And before them was a large black structure.
That was some climb.-
Youre telling me.-
So Wander, this is where well find the final colossus, right?
Thats right. Wander replied.
So where is it?-
Its over there.-
Over where?-
Over there, right in front of you.-
But to the shock of the key bearers, they realized that he was pointing at the large black structure before them.
Are you talking about that big temple? Sora asked.
Thats the one.-
So is he at the top of that old ruin? Riku wondered.
No, the ruin is the colossus.-
WHAT?!! The key bearers looked again and realized that this large structure, supposedly a half a mile high, began to move on its own. The arms spread out and the glowing blue eyes could be seen protruding and staring right at them.
Are you kidding?! Sora gaped. That big thing is the colossus?
Thats the one.-
Thats not a colossus, thats a building with legs!-
It looks too big to move quickly. Theres nothing to fear from it!-
Thats what scares me. Riku implied.
What do you mean?-
I mean that. Riku pointed to a series of deep crevices and craters that were embedded in the dirt and stone, as if a barrage of some sort had commenced there. Something tells me that this guy doesnt have to move about on the field. By the looks of those pock marks all over the ground, the colossus might use a long range type of weapon.
So what do you think we should do to avoid it? Sora asked.
Well, lets see, Riku pondered. He then noticed a series of stone barracks, pits and winding trenches. Perhaps we could use those trenches to conceal out movements.
Good idea.-
But how accurate do you think that thing can shoot? Wander asked.
Well just have to find out. Riku pointed to a fallen pillar on the ground. Lets rush behind that stone column and see what happens from there.
Right,-
On the count of three, we charge. One, two, three&!-
The trio rushed up the ramp and quickly threw themselves behind the fallen pillar. The colossus suddenly fired a continuous barrage of energy beams, pummeling the fallen pillar. The trio ducked and covered as the ballistics kept striking at their only means of protection.
That thing isnt letting up is it? Sora said.
You were right about one thing, Riku, Wander added, That thing is dead accurate when it comes to shooting.
That means that trying to move over that open ground is suicidal. No matter how fast we are, that colossus will be able to mark us. Riku peeked over the pillar. He noticed that the high walls and pits were vastly spread apart by open ground. Theres no way that wed be able to advance across that without getting shot at. The colossus has the upper hand against us since it has the higher position. It would be able to spot us from anywhere on the field.
Hey, Riku, Sora shouted, Look at this! He pointed to an opening in the ground near the pillar. Do you think we could hide in there?
Im sure we can. Good thinking, Sora. One at a time, well go in. Sora, you go first.-
Why do I have to go first?-
You discovered that hole.-
Yeah, but&-
No time to argue, Sora. Wander advised. We cant stay here forever.-
Alright, alright, since you both are pressuring me to do this. A big sweat drop formed on his brow. Why me&? He gave a huff before summoning the courage to make the charge. Alright, here I go! Sora jumped out from behind the collapsed pillar and made for the hole. The colossus in the meantime fired a barrage to strike and kill the key bearer. But at the last moment, Sora dodge rolled and made it into the hole just as the energy projectiles struck. The ground shook and thunderous booms bellowed, forcing him to cover his ears. He looked around and found out that what he was in was not just a hole, but an entry way through the trenches.
Well, Sora, Riku said, What did you find?
Get in here, you guys! This is no ordinary hole. This is the entry through the trench!-
Really, thats great!-
Hurry,-
Alright, Wander, youre next.-
I gotcha, Wander replied. He huffed and puffed before charging recklessly towards the trench entry. He managed to make it just as the colossus projectiles made a second impact. That was close.
Alright, Riku, Sora shouted, Your turn now!
Im coming! Riku quickly rushed into the pit just as the bombs blew around him too. That was close.
You see, this is the entry to the trenches. Before the trio was a stone hall with a roof to cover it.
Lets go then. Maybe this will lead us to the colossus.-
The three went down the corridor. They made a turn and headed down another corridor. Again and again they turned, seeming to always advance forward instead of receding. Then finally, the team reached the end of the trench. But as they emerged, they came to realize that the trench only reached half way to the colossus. If not, only a quarter. The colossus still towered above them, firing away its energy, hoping to strike the key bearers and Wander from afar. The three hid behind a pit just as the colossus fury rained down on them.
Damn, Riku growled, Were not even close to being safe.-
That things still in front of us. Sora said. Maybe there might be another trench entry. Sora looked hither and thither before spotting another entry way. Look Riku, theres another one over there! But to their dismay, only a few guarding walls stood to protect them. Between each pit, there was at least ten feet of exposed ground.
Look on the bight side. The gaps arent that big.-
I know, but its still too long a stretch for us to go without that monster seeing us.-
If thats the case, then Ill stay here and distract the colossus with my Cinder Canister.-
Youll what? Wander asked.
You heard me. Riku replied. You said yourself, Wander, we have superior numbers here. Therefore, while I keep that things attention on me, you two hurry up to the colossus and get within striking distance.-
I see what you mean.-
Now go, Ill hold keep him occupied!-
Right, Sora said. Lets do this!
Sora was the first to jump out from behind the wall. The colossus fired at him, but missed. At the same time, Riku formed Cinder Canister behind the safety of the barrack and hurled the flaming orbs at the head of the colossus one at a time. The colossus was struck, but remained undamaged. It looked to where Riku was hidden and launched energy beams at the area where he hid. By this time, Wander and Sora managed to jump from pit to pit without the colossus shooting down at them even once.
Rikus strategies work every time. Sora chuckled.
Come on, were almost there! After running though a series of protective corridors and trenches, hanging from a cliff, and clutching for dear life on a narrow ledge, the two made it to another opening leading to more pits. At the distance, there was another underground entrance to more trenches, which led to the base of the colossus itself. Just one more flight, Sora, then that thing wont be able to shoot at us anymore.
Wander look! The two turned to find that the colossus was continuously pummeling Riku. Riku was now giving off so many shots with his elemental spells and the infamous Cinder Canister. Rikus in trouble.
Whatll we do?-
Wander, you go on without me. Ill stay here and back up Riku.-
But&-
Dont worry, Ill be fine. Besides, its you that has to deliver the final blow.-
Youre right.-
Go&-
Stay safe, Wander padded Sora on the shoulder and continued on. Sora in the meantime, stood up from behind the protective barrier. Aiming his keyblade, he unleashed a powerful energy way that struck the mid section of the colossus. The colossus eased its aim attacks on Riku and saw Sora just below. It then started to barrage him instead.
Riku poked his head from behind the barrier.
Sora, Sora, Sora, he sighed, Always playing the hero. But at least he got that thing off my back! Riku formed Cinder Canister and began to toss the orbs at the giant from his position all the while Sora was unleashing long ranged elemental attacks from his position. The colossus tussled with both key bearers, but was unable to dislodge them.
Little did the giant realize that with all its attention concentrated on the key bearers, it forgot about Wander who had managed to emerge at its base and started ascending up its armor a little at a time. Thirty minutes had elapsed and the duel between the key bearers and the colossus did not ease up.
What they heck is Wander doing? Riku grumbled, Is he taking a nap? I dont have enough energy on reserve to keep up a support fire.
Wander, Sora cried, Wherever you are on that thing, take it down now!
The prayers of the key bearers were answered as they watched the colossus suddenly halt its barrage and throw its left arm behind its back as if to ease a painful kink in its spine. Its arm made its way back to the front. Then from there, its right arm raised to comfort the bicep of the left arm.
The key bearers squinted to see what was happening. To their surprise, what caused pain on the colossus was none other than Wander who had scaled upon the beast. He had jumped from the back of the monster to its left hand, scurried up its left arm then jumped upon its right hand after inflicting a stinging thrust with his sword.
Hey, there he is!-
What do you know?! Riku chuckled. He scaled that beast!
Wander stood upon the top side of the colossus fury hand and fired his bow and arrow at the monsters exposed right left. The colossus moved its hand to ease the sting from the arrow, permitting Wander to jump onto its shoulder. He then scurried up the things neck and nestled at the top of its head. There, the one great Achilles spot glowed profusely before him as his sword neared it. He drew up his blade.
This is for Mono! he cried. But no sooner had he prepared to thrust, the colossus began to jostle its body around, trying to shake him off. Wander held on for dear life. Help, Riku, Sora,
He needs help, Riku! Sora cried.
Lay on a volley! Riku shouted. Aim for the chest!
Right,-
The key bearers unleashed another barrage. The colossus was struck and forced upright. This pause gave Wander his chance. He drew up his sword and thrust it deeply into the head of the colossus. The colossus gave a dying roar and died upright as the black blood of shadow spurted from its head.
I did it. Wander uttered.
Yeah, Sora cheered.
He did it! Riku added, whooping away. Way to go!
Wander jumped from atop the head of the colossus and used his cloak as a parachute. But no sooner had he jumped then dark essence from the slain colossus came shooting at him and struck him from behind. Wander was rendered on unconscious as he had been many times before when defeating a colossus.
Wander, the key bearers cried as they rushed to aid him. They caught the unconscious warrior as he descended.
Unconscious again, Sora said. You sleep then, kid. You deserve it. Almost like a miracle of divine intervention, the storm that erupted during the battle seemed to dissipate, breaking up to the beams of the afternoon sun. Eventually, the storm receded and a clear sky came upon the trio, warming them with warm light. In this atmosphere, the once feared colossus did not seem as threatening. Is over&
Sora, Riku uttered.
What is it, Riku? He pointed to what looked like a couple of stubs now protruding out of his head. Sora was shocked when he took notice. It almost made the slumbering Wander frightening to look upon. Those are&horns&-
My God, what has this dark energy turned him into?-
Perhaps Dormin might be able to explain.-
No sooner had Sora said that then all three of them began to levitate into the air.
Uh ho, here we go again. I guess well find out sooner than expected.
There was a bright flash of light and the three once again vanished from sight, returning to the temple from which they came.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment