Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 12 - The Battle of the Destiny Islands

After the Battle of Long Valley, the KH team reached the waning stage of their adventure.

Chapter 12 - The Battle of the Destiny Islands

Chapter 12 - The Battle of the Destiny Islands
The Battle of the Destiny Islands




There was a sudden awkward moment as the soldiers observed the sudden arrival of the cloaked man. With large twin blades in hand, the man had struck down five of the attacking elites with one strike. Now, the other soldiers were on guard, their blades still drawn outward.
You fool, the officer mocked, Attacking alone, perhaps you are too concerned with glory.
That has nothing to do with it. The cloaked man replied. He turned his ear to Kairi. Are you alright, Miss?
Im fine& Kairi replied.
If there is one thing I hate more than snot-nosed brats and sassy little girls, the officer declared, its last minute heroics! Well, it doesnt matter. If you are so eager to save this girl, sir, then both you and she can acquaint yourselves in the after life!
Quit your blathering. The cloaked man said. He suddenly locked the overextended hilts at their ends, turning his once two separate blades into a doubled bladed bow, or voulge. If you wish to get your point straight with me, youd better be prepared to lose your life.
It is you whose life shall be cut short! The officer threw out his blade. Kill that insolent bastard! I want his heart on a plate!-
Five other soldiers attacked the stranger and struck and slashed from all sides. But the elusive man evaded and countered with such grace and agility. He maimed three of the soldiers, slew one, and forced another to fall back in fright. The other troopers sneered. The officer himself was shocked by the outcome. His men had fallen so easily to the hooded stranger.
But it was Kairi who was most astounded. For some reason, she seemed not threatened by this mans appearance. In fact, there was a comforting feeling in his presence. At the same time, there was that admiration for his skill.
This guy, Kairi thought to herself, Hes good, very good, but who can he be? Could it be possible that&?
You fended off five elites again? The officer uttered. Who are you?
If you must know, The man suddenly threw off his cloak, Then behold the truth behind the shadow. Before Kairi and the soldiers stood a tall and dashing youth, no older than Riku, his hair a dark toned red and his eyes were a sky blue, similar to the damsel he was protecting. He wore a short, black shell jacket with red cuffs, interior, gilded lining and was double-breasted with two rows of buttons. On his shoulders were brass armored blades that reached to the joint of his elbow, to prevent any upper arm damage. His trousers were black as well, with red rank lines at the side. He wore white gloves and boots with gold tips. This distinguished features of his uniform indicated that he was a member of the Midnight Faction.
Its that traitor! the officer was stunned, Prince Kirin of the Flaming Blades!
Kirin&? Kairi said. The name suddenly struck a chord.
What the hell are you doing here anyway?-
Ive come to find a certain someone in this town. Kirin replied. And it would bog me down if I found out you and your cronies killed them.
Traitor, the officer sneered, Ill see you dead! Death to all traitors who stand against the Imperial Axis! Kill him!
This time, there was no holding back. The remaining soldiers charged without pause against the prince. But Kirin was quick, throwing himself over the heads of the soldiers, cutting the throats of some, killing them instantly. The soldiers swarmed around like wasps, but none was a real threat to the agile monarch. Back and forth they battled, Kirin evading with incredible skill and the Aryan soldiers a step behind trying to slay him.
Cant you do better than this? Kirin mocked.
Shut your mouth, boy! one soldiers shouted. From all direction, they attacked, but to avail did they smite the youth. Swirling about his voulge, Kirin slew three more.
Why is it that Kirin is fighting so ferociously for this girl he doesnt even know? the officer thought. Unless& The officer soon realized. I see, so thats why&
Kairi looked on as this stranger battled with such integrity as if his main goal was to protect only her.
Is he fighting for me? Kairi thought to herself. But just then, at the corner of her eye, she saw the officer suddenly charge at her without warning.
Its you who he fights for! the officer shouted. Now die!
Kairi cried out as she saw here emanate death befall her once again. Kirin turned to see her in danger of being smitten.
Kairi, he suddenly shouted. He pushed back his attackers and went in defense of the young woman. Just as the officers saber fell upon her, the blade was blocked by Kirins voulge
What, the officer uttered. He looked to see the suddenly demonic glare in the eyes of the prince.
You keep your hands off of her, you filth. Kirin pushed the officer away, swung around and lunged one of the blade ends deep into the officer. The officer keeled over, blood rushing from the ghastly wound in his belly. Attacking her has cost you your life.
Damn you, a soldier shouted, rushing at Kirin from behind. Kirin quickly turned. There was a sudden pain in his left shoulder as the troopers pike had managed to strike underneath his shoulder armor.
No Kirin, Kairi uttered.
I got you, traitor. The soldier replied with a chuckled. But his smile turned inward as he saw the rage in the eyes of the monarch.
Do you think youre dealing with an amateur? Kirin drew up his weapon and sliced the mans face in half from the chin up. The other soldiers though elites were themselves fearing this crazed youth who had already maimed and killed many of their companions and their leading officer as well. Have you forgotten who I am?! I am Kirin of the Flaming Blades! Striking his blades upon the ground, the voulge became an inferno of raging fire. Now you will all burn! The fire seemed to dance about with a mind of its own.
Fearing and mesmerized by the dancing flames, the elites stalled in their attempts to defend themselves. One by one, they were struck by the intense heat and the sharpened steel of Kirins voulge. Of the twenty-five or so soldiers who engaged, only ten managed to survive unscathed. They picked up their wounded comrades and quickly withdrew into the now lifting fog of the smoke bombs.
Kirin grasped his wounded arm as he watched his adversaries withdraw from the field. The blood stained his white glove and shirt, but he didnt pay any further mind to his wound. He could only look on as the last of the Aryan soldiers vanished into the distance.
Kirin, Kairi uttered.
Are you alright, Miss? Kirin asked.
Uh&yes, Im alright. She then looked at Kirins shoulder, watching the fine cloth stain with crimson. Here, let me help you.
Theres no need. Kirin pulled his arm away.
Cmon, let me help you. Kairi put her hands upon his shoulder again. The least you could let me do is mend you up a little bit.
Well&I&-
Kairi, a voice suddenly shouted. Kairi turned to see little Muli running towards her.
Hey, Muli, Kairi replied, embracing the boy. Are you alright?
Yeah, Im okay, Muli then happened to look at Kirin. Thank you, sir, for saving me.
It was nothing. Kirin replied, turning away.
You saved Muli? Kairi asked.
I was just in the vicinity thats all.-
I see, Kairi walked up to the young man. Then I guess I owe you twice as much for saving Muli as well as I. Kirin didnt dare make eye contact. But as he was continuously enticed into gazing into Kairis blue pupils, he had no other choice, but to give in to temptation. Let me mend up your wound for you, Kirin.
I guess& Kirin was a little hesitant at first.
There was a sudden cheer in the distance, attracting the threes attention. From the thinning clouds, Imetriarch appeared with a handful of jubilant soldiers.
Victory has come to the forces of the Arakis Foundation this day! he declared openly. The forces of Montague have been quelled and are now in full retreat!
Imetriarch, Muli cried, running to his old friend.
Your Excellency, the two embraced, I see that you are still alive and well, young master.
All thanks to Kairi and Kirin.-
Kirin&?-
Yeah, the guy sitting next to Kairi, Muli pointed. The foundation soldiers were stunned.
Isnt that the infamous Kirin of the Flaming Blades? one soldier asked.
What the hell is he doing here? another added. The soldiers murmured amongst themselves.
Enough, Imetriarch calmed them down. Im sure that there is a logical explanation for him being here.
But hes a member of the Midnight Faction. He cant be trusted.-
If thats so, why would he go out of his way to save our master? The soldiers couldnt find an explanation. Their silence confirmed their confusion. If Kirin is a member of the Midnight Faction, he would have done as his lord had commanded and kill Master Mulian without a moments notice.
You do have a point, prime minister. One of the officers concurred.
Kairi, in the meantime, took out a clean piece of cloth that was originally supposed to be used to clean the boats earlier that morning.
Could you please take off your jacket and shirt? Kairi asked. I need to bandage up that wound of yours really good.
Of course, Kirin took off his coat, armor and shirt, revealing a tight and muscular physique. Kairi was almost enticed by his youthful form, but shook it off to help mend the wound. But as she attended the injury, she noticed a half-heart locket around his neck. Kairi was shocked, but turned away as if not to notice it. But Kirin caught a glimpse of her intrigue, but said nothing.
Prince Kirin, Imetriarch declared as he approached, I thank you for coming to the aid of young Master Muli.
Its quite alright. Kirin replied.
But how is it that you have come here?-
I have been branded as a traitor and have been condemned by the Midnight Faction and the Imperial Axis.-
I was unaware, sir. We have been on the lamb for quite some time and news seldom reaches us.-
I am now scouring the worlds to find a certain someone.-
Is that so?-
Im close to finding her, I can feel it. He might have been trying to drop Kairi the hint.
Well, I hope you find this person. Imetriarch replied.
And what about you? Kirin asked. What brings you here? Is it true that you have decided to make peace with the Universal Alliance?
That is correct, sir.-
Well, then I wont stop you, not like I have any reason to do so anyway. But if you do make peace with the alliance, the closer well be to ending this chaos. And then Lord Sirius Viicous will finally pay for all the cruelty he has inflicted on others-
Aye, Imetriarch bowed. Well, thank you very much Miss Kairi, Prince Kirin, for taking care of master Muli. I shall take it from here.
Very well,-
Shall we, Master?-
Yeah, Muli replied with a smile on his face. He turned to his friends. Thank you very much, Kairi and Kirin. He bowed and the two walked away, their soldiers a little behind them in pursuit.
I guess Mulian Arakis is not the ambitious tyrant he was portrayed as by the Imperial Axis.-
Yeah, Kairi replied. There was a sudden awkward silence, broken only by the ruffling of Kairis wrapping of the bandage. Then came the increasing sniffles of sadness. Kairi, for some reason began to cry. She suddenly laid her head upon Kirins back.
Are you alright, Miss?-
You knew my name. Kairi replied. You called out my name. Kirin knew right away that she was aware of who he was. You have the same style locket as me. I have to know something. I have to ask you a question, but I fear that I might be disappointed about what you might say.
What is it? Kirin asked. Kairi stalled, but summoned the courage.
Are you my brother? Are you the one from my dreams? Are you the little boy that I always see playing with me as a child? Ive always been under the impression that I had an older sibling. Kairi pulled out her locket and showed it to him. I have to know, are you him? There was again another awkward silence. This time, Kirin broke the tension, not with words, but with his actions. He took from his neck, his locket and handed it to Kairi.
Kairi took his locket and connected it with her own. The two halves were a perfect fit, a heart with insignias and designs that interwove and coincided with one another. But Kairi was still apprehensive. She knew that the locket could only be opened when the two proper sides were brought together. She tried to pry open the lid. Sure enough, to her shock, the lid did open upon their hinges. The soft tone of a sad and cheerful melody rang out and there in the heart was a united picture of a young boy and a young girl. The little girl was her. Kairi gasped with her eyes still teary. She then looked up at Kirin who had suddenly turned and was looking at her with that solemn and comforting look.
Youre my& Kairi could only utter those two words. But Kirin only smiled and nodded. Overcome with such joy, Kairi threw herself in Kirins arms and wept. Youre my brother&
Yes, Kirin tightly held her in his arms, I neednt have had to tell you. You figured it out all on your own.
But was that you all this time, the cloaked man?-
Yes,-
But why didnt you just say something to me?-
You would not have believed me.-
But our lockets&-
Our lockets are insignificant. They signify nothing when the emotion is not present. I wanted you to find out for yourself.-
I& Kairi was dumbfounded, not knowing what to think, but she didnt care. She had been reunited with her brother. His touch, his smell, they were all nostalgic feelings and she felt no apprehension or tension. She released her feelings for that one brief moment.
Ive always been looking forward to this day when I would finally meet you again, Kairi. Kirin said. Our destinies have led us here. He then pulled her away to gaze into her eyes. There is nothing to be so sad about now.
Im not sad, Kairi replied. Im happy, so happy that youre here. But how did you find me? How did you know where to look? And why didnt you come sooner?
For a long time, though I remembered who you are, I had long forgotten your name and had no idea where to locate you. I had no links or whereabouts of where you were. But that all changed when I met two old friends of yours.-
Old friends&?-
Riku and Sora, Kairis eyes grew large.
Riku and Sora&? Did you see them?-
Yes, it was because of them that I gained the one lead to finding you. They told me that you were also aware of my presence.-
I guess it was that story I told them years ago. But how did you come to encounter them?-
It was under the most unpleasant of circumstances. Kirin suddenly turned away, as if avoiding conversation or eye contact. Kairi was puzzled thinking that maybe there was a dark secret behind the encounter between her brother and her friends.
What encounter was that? she asked.
We met as enemies, Kairi. They were off to fight against the Midnight Faction. I was fighting for it, which is the reason for this uniform I wear.-
You were enemies? Kairi was starting to get a little concerned.
There was a point where I tried to kill them both.-
No&-
Yes, but fate was against me, as if to say that those two young men were not to perish by my hand.-
Are they alright though?-
They emerged victorious in the end with barely a scratch to show it, while I was apprehended as a defeated man. Kirin looked at his sister. So tell me, Kairi, can you look at me and accept me for what Ive done? I had always promised myself that if I ever met you, I would be truthful to you with everything and open up as best I could. Thats the reason why I kept my distance these past couple of weeks, because I knew that you, Riku and Sora are close friends. Could you accept a lost brothers words over the concern of the friends you have been near with since childhood?
Of course I could, Kairi stood up and confronted her brother. I know now that Riku and Sora are alright and that theyre still safe and sound! But even they could not close the gap that was left in my heart, despite their concern and love for me. Kairi grasped her brothers hand. I needed you there as well. And now, I dont feel worried or lost anymore. I know that I have a brother, I always have. Now that little space left in my heart has been filled.
Kairi, They locked eye contact, brother and sister. But their precious moment was shattered with the sound of guns bellowing off in the distance and the clash of battle once again echoing in the distance.
Soon thereafter, Imetriarch and Mulian, along with hundreds of soldiers were seen running towards them, heading for the northern outskirts of town.
Whats going on? Kirin asked.
The Aryans are starting to advance from the northern flanks. Imetriarch replied. And theyre attacking in full force again.
Is that so? Is there anything I can do to help?-
If you would care to battle alongside us,-
I shall do so, sir.-
Kairi, Imetriarch glanced at the young lady, Would you care to take care of Muli again.
Of course, Kairi replied.
But Imetriarch, Muli objected, let me go with you.
We cant afford to have you in harms way, sir. Let us deal with this. Muli knew that arguing was futile.
Very well,-
Lets go then. Imetriarch led the troops to the battlements. In the meantime, Kirin has redressed himself.
You take care of yourselves while were gone. He said.
But what about you and your injury? Kairi asked.
Ill live. Ive had far worse than this.-
But Kirin,-
Dont worry about me. Kirin picked up his blade and followed the column of soldiers to the fray.

As both sides engaged again, General Fortinbras was busy overlooking the battlefront. He drummed his fingers impatiently.
Of all the times for this to occur. He grumbled. He observed the fighting. Then, observed the Foundation craft not too far off on the southern side of the island. Damn that foundation cruiser, destroying our starboard and fore gun batteries, who would have thought that there was that much fire power and spunk in one of those lower ranking battleships. If only we had mobile dolls and mobile droids on board, then we could have demolished that eyesore and the rest of the foundation with very little effort.
There was nothing we could do, sir. The captain replied.
And what of our status in repairs?-
Its not going as well as we had planned, sir. Weve suffered a great deal of damage. Our exterior has suffered over 52% damage, due to that battle we had with the foundation carrier. Of that 52%, 47% was due to the obliteration of our entire artillery battery on the starboard and bow. As for our interior damage, three of our generators have been severely damaged, so taking off would be out of the question for the time being. Im surprised we were able to sustain ourselves for as long as we did without crashing into the sea.
Damn it.-
Well, look on the bright side, sir. The foundation cruiser took on a lot of damage in that fight as well. Though their guns are still working, their outer defenses have been blown to hell. Theyll keep quiet for a while.-
How long will it take for repairs? the general asked.
Well, even at a non-stop repair pace for twenty-four hours a day, the captain replied, Itll take at least three to four days.
Then if were going to be here for that long, the least we can do is cause as much damage to the foundation ground troops as much as we can. We can shift our port side guns towards the town correct?
Yes we can, sir.-
And were in range of the town correct? The captain knew of Fortinbras intentions and wished to openly oppose, but doing so was also treasonous.
Y&yes sir.-
Then if thats the case, bear down our cannons towards that settlement and flush the foundation out. We attack by day and bombard by night, depriving them of sleep. Soon, the opposition will be so exhausted, after being pummeled by our cannons, theyll eventually be overrun. I dont care if we have to destroy that entire town.-
But they will most likely pull out, sir, in concern for the peoples safety.-
It doesnt matter. These Destiny Islanders deserve to have chaos reign on their doorstep. We will target the town for principles sake, so the foundation can curse itself for ever touching down on this world. Fortinbras folded his arms in front of him. Besides, were planning on conquering this land in the near future. Lets give them a reason to fear us. Again, the captain was hesitant.
Aye sir,-
Then unleash hell with our remaining guns. I also want transmission scramblers up and running. That way, no transmitted messages can be sent anywhere in this world.-
But sir, our ships anti-scrambler was rendered useless when it was hit in the battle with the foundation carrier. If we use the transmission scrambler, then we arent immune to the effects of static interference. Transmitted communication we use will be affected too.-
That too is irrelevant. As long as they cant call for reinforcements, thats all that is required.-
But sir, we wont be able to call for backup troops either. The captain said.
There will be no need for that. Fortinbras chuckled. The fighting might have gone bad for us in these early stages, but we still have superiority in numbers and fire power. Eventually, the remainder of the former Arakis Foundation will fall and the threat of them merging with the Universal Alliance shall fail.-
I understand, sir.-
Then let us show these arrogant fools what true strength is.-

Dusk was already falling as the fighting continued into the late afternoon. Skirmishes near the towns northern outskirts had erupted and battle occurred back and forth. The Arakis Foundations thin lines of defense swayed back and forth like waves. A mile of shrub lands and clear fields saw terrible carnage. Five times, the forces of Fortinbras advanced. Five times they pushed back the Arakis Foundation. Five times the foundation held and countered. And five times they pushed back the Aryans and regained their ground.
With the help of Prince Kirin and the defenders of the Destiny Island like Tidus, Wakka, and Selphie, Fortinbras was not able to go beyond the mile outside of town. By days end, the fighting subsided and many of the soldiers had created shallow barracks and trenches to hide and seek shelter behind.
By this time, Kirin, Imetriarch, and the island defenders had withdrawn temporarily, leaving the subordinate commanders in charge of the battle line. Kairi and Muli were awaiting their return near the outskirts. As soon as they saw their comrades approach, smiled were exchanged.
Brother, Kairi said, You guys are alright.
That was intense fighting though. Kirin replied.
I cant believe this is happening. Tidus mumbled. How is it that our home would become a battlefield? I never would have thought to see blood on the beaches or to see the land pocked with battle scars. He looked at Imetriarch and Mulian. I mean, you guys could have prevented this couldnt you?
No, Imetriarch replied. Theres no way that we could have prevented this. Even if we didnt come to this world, sooner or later, your home would be involved in this universal conflict.
There is no such thing as sanctuary in this war. Kirin added. You either fight or die.
I cant accept that answer, I wont, Tidus stomped his foot on the ground in frustration. This could have all been prevented. This could have all been ignored.
It could have been and it probably should have. Kairi said. But it wasnt. You can only face facts, Tidus, war has come to our front door and theres nothing we can do about it now. The only thing we can do is to fight and defend the place we hold dear to our hearts.
Kairi does have a point. Selphie agreed. Like it or not, war has come and we cant change that. Well just have to accept it.
Damn it, Tidus growled, as if things couldnt get any worse.
But no sooner had Tidus said that, the distant sound of booming could be heard. The allies perked up their ears to the sound of far off roaring and whistling that grew louder in pitch.
What is that sound? Wakka asked.
Just then, Kirin looked to the north to see balls of light plummeting towards them. He saw where they had originated, from the ship, and immediately he knew what they were.
Get down, all of you! he cried. He threw Kairi and Muli to the ground, just as the first shell of many, struck the ground. There was a large explosion, followed by a second, a third, and a fourth. Now, all the cannon shots were falling upon them and the allies threw themselves onto the ground for cover. Clouds of dust and debris uplifted into the dusky sky, houses and buildings, unfortunate to be hit, suddenly collapsed from their foundations, or took on a hideous form as their former beauty was retiled with projectiles and pieces of shrapnel. Explosions erupted everywhere, even in the middle of town.
What the heck is that? Tidus asked.
Its the Aryan ship, he replied. Theyre bombarding us!
Damn it. Imetriarch growled. We have to seek shelter right away! He looked at Kairi. Kairi, is there any place where you can shelter young Master Mulian?
Theres a bomb shelter at the mayors residence. Kairi replied.
See to it that hes brought there safely.-
Right,-
No, Mulian objected, Im staying here, Imetriarch! I will not hide like some kind of animal! Im going to stay here and help!
You will not!-
I will,-
You will do as youre told, young man! We cant afford to lose you!-
And yet you expect me to stand behind, sheltered in safety, while those men are dying?! Those are my men, Imetriarch, my men! Theyre only here because they believe in me, they believe in the Arakis name! Sure it would be easy for them to just defect against me and join the Aryan Faction, but they chose not to! They are here because they have faith in the Arakis family! Now how am I supposed to be a good leader, make an example of myself, and win their respect if Im not there to support them?! Those are my men and they are dying for my sake! I will not abandon them in their time of need!-
Master Mulian& Crassus, for the first time in his life, was astounded by his masters rebellious outburst.
He does have a point. Kairi said.
Well, I& Imetriarch knew he had to take care and watch out for Muli, but now he started to question his own motives. Was he being overprotective, or was he trying to maintain his own authority over the young boy? Crassus did not want to think himself as being selfish. He could only accept that his young master was no longer a boy. Crassus bowed respectfully, As you wish, master. I can no longer hold you back.
Thank you, Imetriarch. Mulian replied. The boy raised himself and stood before the bombardment, fearing not his own death. If we must face death, then we face it together!
Yeah, the others replied.
But that still doesnt change the fact that were at a disadvantage. Kirin said. So long as that ship is bombarding us, were left pinned down. We have to cease the bombardment before theres nothing left.
Imetriarch, Muli said, can you contact our ship and tell them to keep the Aryan carrier quiet?
I can, sir. Imetriarch used his scouter to contact the ship, but to his dismay the transmitter was undergoing static interference. Oh no,
What is it?-
Theres static interference.-
No,-
It can only mean one thing then. Kirin said.
What does it mean? Selphie asked.
It means that the Aryan Faction has set up a transmission scrambler in this world.-
What does that mean? Tidus asked.
It means we cant communicate using transmitted messages. All communication airwaves have been nullified.-
And thats bad, ya? Wakka said.
So what do we do? Tidus wondered.
The only other option is to send a courier to make their way back to the ship and give them the information. Imetriarch said.
Then I think I can help with that.-
What do you mean?-
I have a motorcycle in my garage. I could use that to give the message.-
So does that mean youre volunteering? Kairi asked.
Dont get me wrong. Id hate to miss all the fun, but Im probably the only guy here who actually owns a motorcycle, let alone knows how to ride it.-
Very well, Imetriarch implied, Tidus, you shall be our courier.
You can count on me.-
Then, be off. Crassus took out a pen and paper and wrote down the orders. Take this with you and hand it to the captain.
Yes sir, Tidus saluted and withdrew.
The only thing we can do now is wait for his return.
The shells fell around them, inflicting immense damage on the town. The soldiers dug themselves into the ground, using the soil to protect them. Firing continued even as the sun set and only flashes from the distant artillery and the streaks of flying projectiles could be distinguished in the night sky. Civilians either scurried to the safety of the country side, or were huddled in their homes, hoping for the worst to be over. But a projectile did not know the value or preciousness of a home and a few of the residential structures were demolished.
In the meantime, Tidus has managed to get back to his home, take out his motorcycle from the garage and sped off to the area where he saw the foundation carrier settle.
I hope Im not too late. He thought to himself. Time is of the essence. Pressing down on the gear, Tidus made the motorcycle roar as it sped faster to the ship. Within five to ten minutes, he finally arrived at the ships perimeter. The foundation guards saw him coming and shined a bright light on him. Tidus hit the brakes and stopped the bike from advancing any further. He was blinded by the bright searchlights.
Who goes there? one of the sentries cried. Identify yourself!
Im Tidus from the settlement! Tidus replied. I bring a message to you from the prime minister! Tidus pulled out the message from his pocket and held it up. I have to give this to the captain.
Stay where you are! the sentry declared. He then addressed another soldier. Summon the captain! Tell him that a messenger has arrived from our ground forces!
Aye sir, a voice replied.
Tidus stood still for a good few minutes before captain finally made an appearance.
What is the meaning of this? he asked.
I bring a message to you from Prime Minister Crassus! Tidus replied.
Preposterous, if the prime minister wants to send a message, he can just transmit a message to us.-
But he cant. Those Aryan guys put up some kind of scrambling device.-
Is that true?-
Yes,-
Captain, one of the soldiers implied, hes right. The Aryans have set up and anti-transmission scrambler. That means we cant send any type of message that relies on radio waves.
Is that confirmed? the captain asked.
Aye sir, The captain turned to Tidus
Alright, young man, Im listening. What does the prime minister say?-
He wishes to inform you, Tidus began, that the Aryan Faction carrier has landed on the north peninsula of the island and is now pummeling the ground troops and the town. He wants you to get your ship airborne and cripple, if not destroy that cruiser for good.-
Is that what he said? He then saw the message in Tidus hand. He asked for the slip. Give me the written message, son. Tidus handed the slip of paper and the captain examined it. Yes, this is definitely the prime ministers handwriting. He then looked up at Tidus. Im sorry young man, but I cannot fulfill the prime ministers request.
Why not&?-
The Aryan cruiser inflicted a great deal of damage on us. Two of our generators have been destroyed, which means we wont be able to sustain ourselves in the air for an extensive amount of time. Wed as soon crash before even managing to lift off from this spot.-
But the town is being bombarded.-
Im sorry young man. The captain handed him back the message. You will just have to tell the prime minister that we cant aid him at the present time. Indeed, I dont think well get this ship up off the ground again for another five days with the amount of damage that is in need of repair.
Well, isnt there something that you can do?-
Well, the captain pondered. You need some covering fire to counter the faction bombardment. Then we can transport the mobile artillery to assist you.
Alright then, Tidus started up his motorcycle, Ill tell the prime minister. Have them transported as quickly as you can.
Very well, Tidus thus pounded the motorcycle peddle and sped off. In the meantime, the captain gave order to his subordinates. Activate those mobile cannons and get them under way to the town, for the preservation of his Excellencys legacy!
Aye sir, the subordinate replied and scurried off.

At the same time, the soldiers had dug themselves deep behind boulders and fallen tree trunks, watched the night diligently for any attempted night raids. At the same time, they avoided the shelling from the Aryan ship. Kirin, entrenched with the soldiers, kept a sharp eye out at the front line with Selphie and Wakka beside him.
You know, Selphie said, after a while, you kinda get used to all this shelling.
Try saying that when one of them actually hits you. Kirin replied. Ive seen it happen. People get too comfortable with the sound of shelling, they forget about the force of the impact. By that time, however, its already a little late.
I hope that Kairis alright. Selphie looked back to the town, watching some of the buildings and houses go ablaze and illuminating the night sky. The town has been struck hard.
Damn those Aryan bastards. Wakka growled. They just had to come here and stir a fight.
In the meantime, Kairi was still vigilant over Mulian who had taken a seat near an open fire behind a stone wall. He huddled like a ball while holding hands near the open flame. Imetriarch in the meantime observed the battlements with his scouters night vision lens.
So far, Imetriarch said, the infantry hasnt tried to advance in an evening attack. But then again, that would be a risky venture. They would be putting their troops in the sight of friendly fire if they did.
I didnt realize it could get really chilly here on these islands. Muli said.
It does get a little nippy at night. Kairi said, Especially when its nearing the late summer.
Prime Minister, a sentry from the rear shouted, Sir Tidus has returned with a message!
Has he? Imetriarch said. He watched as Tidus rode up on his motorcycle. What news do you bring? Will the captain support us?
Hes unable to support us, prime minister, Tidus replied, on account that the ship has lost the ability to fly due to the severe damage taken after todays assault on the Aryan carrier.
That is no excuse! We need to have support!-
Well, he said that he would have his mobile artillery sent down.-
Well, at least thats something to start on. Well be able to use those artillery pieces to support us. But how were going to protect them from counter-fire is another matter. Crassus pondered as the shelling continued. He then happened to look upon a clump of trees that grew high in a semi circle, providing natural cover in the line. A thought came to his mind and he snapped his fingers. I have it. He turned to one of his subordinates that were observing the northern peninsula. Major,
Sir, the officer stood at attention.
I want you to go to our reserve forces in the rear and get three companies over here. Crassus pointed at the grove of trees he eyed earlier. Have them dig up a deep pit where those trees are located. Tell them to dig deep enough to forge a battery position. The captain is sending us the mobile artillery, so tell the men to clear some of those trees so our pieces have a clear shot of the field and that Aryan carriers barge cannons. Tell the men to collect as much loose debris from the town as possible to fortify that position.
Yes sir,-
I want the men to work swiftly and diligently. I want that cannon pit finished before the sun rises.-
Yes sir,-
Then move.-
Sir, the officer scampered away to give the news to the reserved units.
Tidus, Crassus said.
Yes, Tidus asked.
Get back to the rear and see to it that the mobile artillery gets here without delay.-
I understand, Tidus pounded on the motorcycle peddle and rode off at great neck speed.
You certainly are an expert when it comes to strategy. Kairi complimented.
Thats what the Crassus family has been known for though. Muli implied.
They are?-
I come from a long line of superb strategists. Crassus said. My father and his father before him were elite strategists. You might say that the tacticians trait is my birthright.
I see.-

The night wore on and the Arakis Foundation quickly mobilized. Despite the flashing of cannons and the exploding of shells on the ground and overhead, Mulis dedicated military conducted themselves perfectly and without disorder. The three companies chosen to dig the cannon pits, hastened to the spot where they were to labor. They dug up the soil, making a pit fifty yards long, ten yards wide, and ten feet deep. They collected splintered wood from destroyed buildings and lay them on the ground as walkways in case of a storm. Trees were felled, narrow enough so the gun positions could still be camouflaged, yet wide enough for the barrels to protrude through and give an effective shot. Stones were used to make a small wall around the position.
The cannons, by the early morning, two hours before the sun would rise, had reached their destination. Going over a tedious and long procedure, five massive cannons were placed in their positions. There barrels were smothered with tree branches to help conceal their presence. Due to the constant shelling, the activity of preparing for and maneuvering the artillery pieces had gone unnoticed by the Aryan Faction. Working only by the luminance of fires along the line, the men were able to work quickly in the night. And with no full moon out, further luck was driven towards the Arakis Foundation.
Crassus and the others watched as the cannons were firmly placed in their positions.
Thats it, boys. Imetriarch would shout at times. Keep it steady.
I cant believe that you guys managed to set up this battery station in the course of a single night. Tidus uttered with awe.
It just goes to show how diligent these soldiers of the Arakis Foundation are in their duties. Crassus then pulled out his watch. The time was about five oclock in the morning. We spared a good amount of time in this project.
Just then, Kirin, Wakka, and Selphie appeared from down the line. They were awe struck as they watched the concealing canopy finally rise over the artillery pit.
Hey you guys. Kairi greeted.
Im glad to see that you were able to join us. Imetriarch said.
We were wondering what the heck you guys were doing over here all night. Kirin said. Now I see.
You have been really busy, ya? Wakka added.
You set up this artillery pit in only one night. Man, thats fast.-
Time is of the essence, Prince Kirin. Imetriarch replied. These artillery pieces will work well in our defense and keeping those Aryan pieces over there quiet. Unfortunately, we only have enough energy cells to allow each cannon to fire off a hundred shots each. So we better be conservative with the ammunition when we fire the artillery. We have to make every shot count. Thus, these five pieces will be used only to knock out those guns at the Aryan carrier. And because of the lower range of firepower for these particular field pieces, we had to set them up here at the front line. Fortunately for us there is a natural barrier of trees to guard our batteries.
You think the enemy could have seen you guys move these things? Selphie asked.
Not with all the commotion they were stirring up all night.-
But just then, something strange happened that caught the attention of everyone on the field. Perking up their ears, they heard a strange sound. A sound that was rather eerie, yet comforting and familiar. It was the sound of complete silence. The shelling has ceased for the night.
They stopped firing. Kirin said.
Yes they have. Imetriarch added.
You think theyve decided to give themselves a rest? Wakka asked.
Either that, or& Imetriarch feared the worst. He turned to his men. I want all positions on the front line held and observed! The soldiers immediately obeyed. And it was a good thing they did. From out of their trenches on the far side of the island, the forces of the Aryan faction emerged and charged into the open ground against the foundation fortifications.
What a way to start off the morning. Muli said.
All soldiers to your battle positions!-
Kirin and the others split up and took their places on the crucial areas of the line, laying next to the foundation soldiers.
Keep your wits about you men! Kirin shouted, arousing the soldiers, here they come again! The soldiers arose and immediately were on their guard. Sure enough, the Aryans were once again on top of them, charging head on against their entrenchments.

Fortinbras watched from afar as his hellish columns of soldiers advanced head on against the ever thinning lines of the Arakis Foundation.
Nothing like a good morning charge to wake up little Muli and his band of traitors. He chuckled.
Shouldnt we use our artillery to help in the attack though, sir? the captain asked.
No, I dont want to have to risk killing much needed soldiers with our own cannons. That would be a waste of artillery and manpower.
Funny, you didnt seem so concerned with the lives of our soldiers the other day, sir. Fortinbras heard that tone of insolence from the captain. He turned and glared at the commander.
You seem to be in a very facetious mood today. Is there something you want to say to me? Your defiance against my orders has been constant and random. Why dont you just say what you want to say and not meander about the shrub?-
With all due respect, I dont believe you have conducted this campaign very well from the beginning, sir. First, we attack this world, getting the people involved in our conflict, without giving a fair declaration of terms for them to deny or accept. We then battle against our former brethren. And you act as if we had no ties connected with them from the start. Then we risk hitting upon our own troops with our bombardment on the beach, hoping to break up the enemy forces as well, so we could end this unnecessary battle quickly and with very little bloodshed. And yet now you want to prolong it for the sake of the lives of those same soldiers whom you dared to unleash friendly fire upon.-
Thats the thing about life, commander. Fortinbras sat himself upon his seat and rested his head on his knuckle. Its always about trial and error. I might have made a few mistakes here and there, but there was no real impact on yesterdays actions.
Perhaps, sir if you were to take this battle more seriously,-
But wasnt it you that said it was unnecessary to engage here, yet you want to take the battle seriously now?-
That has nothing to do with&-
I am in command here, captain. If you want to give me suggestions, then go ahead. But I am the one who decides on whether to deploy our troops or not.-
Is this the same attitude you had at the Battle of Long Valley? No wonder we lost that fight. But that statement was indeed the straw that broke the camels back. Fortinbras suddenly snapped at the captain.
That is enough, captain! He raised himself from his seat and stormed to face the captain face to face. Youve made your point, now drop it! You think its easy to see tens of thousands of men die?! I saw our finest soldiers killed by the score! Thats more than what you will ever see in your entire damned lifetime! He suddenly grabbed the captains throat. I have absolute power here and no one here will second guess my motives&ever. Do you understand?!
Y&yes, sir& the captain strained. Fortinbras threw him down and threw himself back on his seat.
Now, continue the attack!-
Aye sir, the operatives replied.

The battle would rage on upon the Destiny Islands, with the home island of Riku, Sora, and Kairi as the focal point of the entire confrontation. The battle would continue on in the early morning with random charges, holding actions, and later bombardments, with numerous deaths on both sides. The inhabitants of the island would suffer as well as they would slowly watch their once peaceful island bellow in flames. Never again would the lives of the people be the same again.
But in the deep and isolated forests of Montroze, near the Gilgazion springs, it was just another simple passing day. The training of the key bearers commenced without any real disturbance. It was once again the early morning and Thundro had dressed himself in his finest uniform. He checked his watch.
The twenty-four hours are almost up. He said to himself. That means that Riku and Soras regimen in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber is about to conclude, best to meet them as they walk out.
Thundro exited his quarters and made his way to the Northern Corridor. He thus presented himself before the door of the Hyperbolic Time Chamber. There he stood, feet apart and hands clutched behind his back, awaiting the emergence of the key bearers.
Sure enough, no more than ten minutes had passed before the door slowly opened. There was a bright light coming from the doorway, which caused the Death Lord to squint slightly. From that light, a shadowy figure emerged. It was Sora who first made his appearance. His uniform was tattered and frayed, inflicted by the incredible training he underwent while in the chamber. His bodily features had also changed. He seemed somewhat taller, his physique just as slender and muscular as ever. His hair had grown shoulder length, giving him an appearance identical to Cuchulain. He stood in the doorway, tall and proud of his achievements.
The next to emerge was Riku in the same tattered state as Sora. He too had grown taller and his physique was just as impressive. His hair had grown substantially as well, draping down to his lower back. Thundro was amazed at their appearance, but he was more amazed at the level of strength they gained, sensing their new power.
Sorry were a little late. Sora said. Did we miss anything?
Not in the course of a single day. Thundro replied. Youve changed a great deal though.
What can you expect for a full year of training? Riku remarked.
Your strengths have increased dramatically since the last time. So tell me, what have you gained in during your time in the chamber?-
The key bearers had gained a great deal and Thundro would soon find that out for himself as his harsh regimen continued.

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

SimpleSoul52 on January 8, 2007, 7:34:23 AM

SimpleSoul52 on
SimpleSoul52OOOO! I can't wait to find out how strong they've gotten! And I can hardly wait to find out when they meet my OC!!!! YAAAY!