Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 15 - Operation Destiny's Freedom

After the Battle of Long Valley, the KH team reached the waning stage of their adventure.

Chapter 15 - Operation Destiny's Freedom

Chapter 15 - Operation Destiny's Freedom
Operation Destinys Freedom


As the bombardment continued in the north, Tidus led Kirin and the twenty volunteers to the secret passage way leading to the old waterway. The company came before a locked gate that descended into the underground.
This is it. Tidus said. This is the maintenance entry to the old water way. This will lead us to the northern peninsula.
Excellent, Kirin replied, Alright Tidus, lead the way. Ill take up the rear to make sure there arent any stragglers.
Gotcha, He turned to the soldiers. Alright guys, follow me. And be quiet. Unlocking the gate, he quickly entered, turning on a flashlight as soon as the visual became more limited. The last of the soldiers went in with Kirin at the rear. He slowly closed the door behind him and looked about to make sure that no one was following them.
The party navigated deeper and deeper until they came to the old waterways main flow, which at the present state was a mere trickle, due to the lack of rain for the past couple of days.
Stay close, you men, Kirin advised. Keep your visual on Tidus. But be aware, there might be a chance that the faction might have already discovered the other side of this passage.
The soldiers scurried along the sides of the waterway, so as not to be an open target for anything or anyone that might be lurking in the darkness. The sound of exploding shells could be heard above. Some of them came so close, the impact caused the passage to shake and rattle a bit. But the soldiers were not fazed by the low booming and sudden tremors and carried on with their mission.

In the meantime, the Arakis Foundation battery continued to fire at the carrier in the far north, pummeling the sides and the hatches of the enemy artillery. Unleashing the cannon fire was not a random moment, however, as the ammunition was at a limit. Therefore, only a series of ten rounds per cannon could be used. And each shot had to be accurate, so as not to needlessly waste shells and power.
The leading officer of the battery looked on with his scouter as he saw the shells of his cannons striking the side of the Aryan carrier. At the same time, he kept his head from view in case the worst would happen. Alongside him, Prime Minister Crassus looked on with the scouter.
So far, weve used up twenty-five shots altogether, sir. He said. Thats already five shots per cannon.-
Its not exactly a five second interval is it? Imetriarch replied.
That was not an option open for us, sir. Were low on ammunition as we speak, so we had to make sure that each shot counted for something.-
Its no matter. We just need to use those shots to keep those cannons on that carrier quiet for the time being. Thats the only thing that counts. Keep them concentrating their firepower on us.-
I beg your pardon, sir. The officer implied, But do you really think that only twenty men could possibly storm a carrier of at least twenty thousand personnel or so?
Those are the best of the best, commander. Imetriarch assure him. It would be easier to move about enemy territory with only a handful of men. If there is anyone who can pull off this mission, it is Kirin, Tidus, and our top elite fighters.
But what should we do if the Aryans try to attack us again?-
We just have to hold them off as best as we can. But they wont try a night raid, not after this afternoons assault. Theyll rest up a good full night before trying to attack again.
Still,-
There is nothing to worry about. Kirin will succeed. He is after all the infamous wielder of the Flaming Blades.-

Kairi, in the meantime, worried about her brother. Only two days, they had been reunited, yet he seemed a stranger to her. At the same time, his touch, his warmth, they all seemed familiar to her, nostalgic in a way. She could only think of him and feared for him.
Brother, she uttered.
Kirin is a powerful warrior. Muli said. Hell be alright. I know it.
How do you know?-
I know, they dont call him Kirin of the Flaming Blades for nothing. The reason for his reputation was because of his ability to escape any sticky situation and how he is always able to survive no matter how great the odds are against him. You just have to believe in him, Kairi, just like you do with Riku and Sora. If you believe, things will turn out alright.-
Thanks for the advice. Kairi smiled, but her heart seemed to tell her otherwise. Inwardly, she feared the worst for her brother. But what if he doesnt come back? I want to believe that everything will be alright, but what is this feeling of doubt that plagues me? Why is it that there is this pain in my heart? Kairi silently looked up into the sky, staring at the stars that twinkled in the night, despite the hissing and bursting of shells. To think that despite this carnage, there is still a little comfort in this world. Riku, Sora, I hope you two are doing okay too.

Thirty minutes had passed and the booming on the surface began to fade. Sure enough, there was only silence, with the occasional muffled murmuring every now and then. This indicated that they were deep behind enemy lines and the murmuring they heard was the chattering of Aryan soldiers on leave.
Are we almost there? Kirin asked.
Yeah, Tidus replied, But we gotta keep quiet. I can hear the enemy above us.
The party made it to their destination without any trouble. They eventually reached the end, seeing a hint of night light, though not very much. The sound of the waves crashing against the cliff could be heard. Tidus immediately turned off his flashlight.
There it is. He said with a loud whisper. Theres the other end.
Excellent work, Tidus. Kirin said.
The party emerged onto a small ledge. There was a rocky outcrop above the opening, concealing the movements from the Aryan sentries who walked about the area.
Alright, men, Kirin whispered, Now whatever you do, keep quiet. We dont want these guys to here us. We have to penetrate into the ship and take out the targets necessary. Make sure to eliminate the sentries one at a time and do it quietly. Kill them silently and quickly. Avoid all lighted areas alright? The soldiers nodded their heads. Kirin took the lead, climbing silently up the rocks to the cliff edge.
Sentries marched up and down without care, perhaps raw recruits who detested the thought of guard duty. As the task unit reached the cliff edge, they overheard two sentries talking.
I hate guard duty. The first sentry said. Its just a lot of mindless pacing. Id much rather prefer to be in the midst of battle like the rest of our comrades.
I dont think youd want that, friend. The second sentry said. From what I understand, our guys havent put a dent in the foundations defenses. So far those guys have managed to push our soldiers back every time that General Fortinbras gives the order to attack.
Fortinbras&? Kirin thought in his mind. So that explains the crude strategies the Aryan Faction is using.
Fortinbras is such an egotistical son of a gun. Hed pounce at the chance to achieve glory. And after that blunder he had in the Oceansburg Campaign,-
Can you blame the general? the first sentry said. If I was in his shoes and I was bested by a bunch of freaks, Id do all in my power to redeem myself.
I wonder though. The second sentry continued. Is all this fighting really worth it, battling against the very person who made us who we are?
Dont start having second thoughts now. Everyone knows that Mulian Arakis is a traitor to his fathers name and the foundation we once stood for. Marcus Montague is our new commander.-
But I still have that sentiment and loyalty to the Arakis family.-
You better watch out, friend. That might be considered treason to the officers.-
Never mind, lets just keep our guard up.-
Right,-
The two sentries continued on their way.
So thats it. Kirin said.
Whats it? Tidus asked. The other soldiers were curious too.
It appears that the Aryan Faction is starting to waver. Marcus Montague rose to power so quickly, the people and the military of the former foundation were not given enough time to choose what side was best. So it wasnt exactly majority rules. No doubt that the officers used their military influence to persuade the populous. However, they didnt realize that there is still strong sentiment for the Arakis family amongst the soldiers themselves. This could work to our advantage.
In what way&?-
We can lower the resistance by exploiting the number of loyalists to Mulian Arakis and the Arakis family. If we can cause a rift in the enemy ranks, well be able to achieve victory a lot easier. He turned to the twenty soldiers. You men, this is what you will do aside from fulfilling your mission. You will eliminated the sentries and take their uniforms. You will then start spreading rumors of a possible defection. This will allow the loyalists to come out of hiding and try to mutiny against Fortinbras and the Aryan separatists. Do you understand what Im saying? The soldiers nodded. Then get going.
The soldiers quickly spread out to their separate areas. As the sound of the cannons continued, the foundation elites snuck up and ambushed the weary sentries. Attacking them from behind, the foundation elites had to regress to smothering, strangling, and breaking the necks of each of the sentries so as not to stain or soil the uniforms that were needed. Every once in a while, there would be the sounds of gasping, rustling debris and roughage from kicking legs, and muffled cries as a young sentry would be attacked from behind and smothered to death. Or perhaps there would be the sudden crack of bone as their heads were severed from the rest of their bodies. The uniforms were quickly exchanged and the task units quickly made their way into the ship.
Talk about a stroke of luck for us. Tidus said.
Thisll work to our advantage alright. Kirin said. If there is one general who is most despised out of all the faction commanders, it would be Hector Fortinbras. With his reputation, no doubt his men will be persuaded quite easily. He turned to Tidus. Tidus get back to our lines and tell them to send in a full company. I dont think the Aryans will try another attack until dawn. Thisll give us the opportunity to attack when they least expect it.
I gotcha, Tidus replied and quickly scurried back to the foundation lines.
In the meantime, Kirin drew out one of his blades, I have a reputation to uphold.

While the contemplation of the foundation was commencing, the bombardment by Imetriarchs battery had ceased its final rounds as the tenth of each cannon had gone off. Fortinbras only chuckled as he witnessed the end of the bombardment.
So thats it then. He said. I guess the Arakis Foundation cant keep up a steady fire like we can. How much damage did we suffer?
We only had two battery pieces crippled by that bombardment, sir. The captain replied.
Too bad, and just when it was starting to get interesting, but then again their limits are too obvious now. Aim our cannons and return fire. The foundation cant keep up their bombardment, but we can. Fire away!-
Yes sir,-
But no sooner had the order been relayed, another important message came to the bridge.
General, one of the operatives said, We have an urgent message from our guards in the primary transmission room.
Put them on screen. The general advised.
Yes sir, The operative initiated the on screen image, revealing a rather panicked looking soldier. There were the sounds of guns and battle going on. Immediately, the general knew that something was wrong.
Sir, the soldier cried, We have a crisis on our hands!
What is going on there? Fortinbras asked.
A handful of our soldiers have defected against us and are starting to kill our personnel and are sabotaging our equipment!-
What&?! The generals eyes grew big with shock. What do you mean our soldiers have defected?
I dont know, they just started attacking our men, crying out long live the Arakis Foundation.-
Damn it, it seems we have some loyalists amongst our ranks.-
What should we do, sir?-
They could prove to be very monotonous indeed unless we do something. Deal with them with the utmost severity. Kill them all!-
Sir, another transmitted message reached the bridge, There is another defection against us, this time amongst our batteries!
What was that? Soon after, another message was transmitted.
General, sir, General, sir, there has been an uprising in the main barracks. The soldiers are fighting amongst themselves!-
But that cant be? Fortinbras uttered. Are you sure you checked the sources?
See for yourself! The screen turned to a scene of devastation and death as the Aryans suddenly turned on one another. Those rebelling kept crying in an endless chorus Long Live Lord Mulian Arakis! Long live the Arakis Foundation! and Glory to the Arakis Family! Fortinbras could only look on in disbelief.
How can this be happening? I did not realize that there were that many loyalists of Mulian Arakis amongst our ranks.-
At this rate, The captain said, well never be able to stop them all.-
Oh yes we will. Fortinbras stood from his chair, his fists clutched tightly. I will not have mutineers causing disorder amongst our ranks! I will cut them all down myself! He turned to the captain. Keep command here and do not surrender under any circumstance, understood?! You keep this bridge sealed from those ruffians out there!
What will you do, sir?-
I will go out there and deal with this problem myself. It has been a while since my sword has tasted blood. I will weed out the defectors and kill them one at a time!-
But how will you determine the defectors from our troops?-
Anyone who shows the least bit of suspicion will be executed without question! So it is up to the men to not act suspicious! Otherwise, its instant death for them!-
Aye, sir, Fortinbras clutched his sword and stormed out of the bridge, the lust for blood in his eye. The captain only sighed. We have a duty ladies and gentlemen. We must maintain control over the bridge.
But sir, wouldnt it be best for us to side with Master Mulian? one subordinate whispered.
We must wait and see what the tide will bring. If the defection fails, then all who rebelled will be considered traitors.-
But sir, that man is siding with the commander that defied the rule of the Arakis family.-
Fate cares not for lineage or power. It decides who is worthy to rule. We will wait for a sign.

The turret had ceased its revolving and things once again seemed quiet. Imetriarch was baffled, yet at the same time he was relieved knowing that the operations were going well.
I wonder if this is Kirins doing? he thought to himself.
So whats going on? Kairi asked, as she and Mulian came to the battery.
Apparently, there has been a cease-fire with the Aryan carrier. Kirins operation seems to be working.-
Hey, Imetriarch, a voice shouted from the rear. The three turned to find none other than Tidus rushing at them. He stopped and caught his breath.
Hey, Tidus, Kairi said, What are you doing here?
Kirin sent me back to give you a message. Tidus replied.
What is it? Imetriarch asked.
He says that the way is open and hed like reinforcements to back up in the attack. He also says that he and his men are widening the rift within the Aryan forces, finding those still loyal to the Arakis family.-
Tidus speech was short lived as the sound of battle echoed from the Aryan carrier.
Is that so? Imetriarch smiled. Then so be it. He turned to his subordinates. Assemble a hundred men to aid in the advance!-
Yes sir. The subordinates replied. They scurried to rally their best men.
What a grand opportunity this is for us. He turned to Tidus. You go ahead and lead our troops through the waterway, Tidus. Give my compliments to Prince Kirin when you see him.
Yes sir, Tidus replied and ran off to do his duty.
I want to go too. Kairi said. I have to help my brother.
That is out of the question, Miss Kairi. Imetriarch said. I need you here to watch over Master Mulian.
But,-
There is no need for that, Imetriarch. Muli replied. Ill be alright for now. Let Kairi help her brother. That is the least I could do to repay them for helping me.
But master, Imetriarch uttered,
Im a member of the Arakis family am I not? Its time for me to start acting like one and not have to worry others about my safety! Your job is to lead our troops and my job is to motivate them! He turned to Kairi. Thank you, Kairi for what youve done for me. Now you go and find your brother.-
Thank you, Muli. Kairi bowed and withdrew. I will come back.
I know you will. Muli smiled. His smile quickly diminished and he turned to his men. Now, battle positions all of you! We bring order the universe here and now! It all ends tonight!
Aye, the soldiers replied and quickly rallied.
Alright, men, Imetriarch concurred. Theres no holding back this time! Reload the cannons and aim for the front lines of the Aryan faction!
Aye, sir,-
Imetriarch looked at young Mulian who stood tall and proud. It was strange, but to Crassus, his young master seemed more like his father in stature.
He has done it. The Prime Minister thought to himself. He has gained his fathers strength and charisma.
The cannons once again to echo as their projectiles were launched upon the Aryan lines.

Within the transmission room, the Aryans did all in their power to maintain control. The transmission room was vital to their ship and the only thing that prevented their enemies from contacting reinforcements from the outside.
Hold your ground men! the lieutenant in charge shouted. We cant afford to lose this room to the enemy!
But we dont know who the enemy is! a subordinate added. We have to surrender!
And let the traitors of the Imperial cause have their way?! Are you one of them?!-
No sir, I& But before any explanation could be made, the man was cut down by his superior without a second thought.
There is no room for traitors! You are either with us or against us!-
In that case, you will never know who the real enemy is. A voice said from amidst the opposing ranks. From behind the defectors, Kirin appeared to confront the commander. The Aryans were shocked. It doesnt have to end like this.
Kirin of the Flaming Blades, one soldier uttered.
Whats he doing here? another added.
I thought you were executed for attempted mutiny. The lieutenant said.
I never mutinied. Kirin replied. I just came to the realization that my life was worth nothing to the higher-ups. They could care less about what happened to me as they could care less about you.
No, youre wrong! The Imperial cause is all that matters! Our lives are but miniscule particles of dust! But each grain will add to the rise of a mountain in the end!-
So your purpose in this life really doesnt matter more than my own.-
I will fight all who stand in the way of the Three Excellencies and their ambitions! The lieutenant drew out his sword and charged. There is no room for traitors like you!
But Kirin cut the man down within seconds. Kirin stood up and wiped the blood away from his blade.
I wonder who the real traitor is. Kirin looked at the other resisters. Do all of you think the same as he and wish to throw your lives away for a cause that is already lost? Will you be willing to spit upon the graves your fathers and grandfathers by turning against what they stood for? The remaining Aryans lowered their heads. Slowly, but surely, each man who had once fought in the name of Lord Marcus Montague now dropped their weapons and raised their arms in surrender. Youve made the right decision. Kirin approached the activation platform to the transmission scrambler and deactivated it. The system fell silent. Mission accomplished.

Back at the foundation battery, a transmitted message reached Imetriarch Crassus by means of his scouter.
Sir, sir, a sudden voice sounded. Crassus lifted his ear. He could hear the voice was loud and clear from the transmission system. It was the captain of the foundation carrier. Prime Minister, can you hear me?
I can hear you loud and clear. Imetriarch replied.
Our transmission is back up, sir.-
That means that theyve taken down the transmission scrambler. The Prime Minister smirked. Its working, were winning.
Your orders, sir?-
Contact the Universal Alliance. Tell them that we need immediate assistance here on the Destiny Islands and to send reinforcements right away!-
Yes sir,-
Crassus, Muli said.
What is it, my lord? Imetriarch asked.
Tell the captain to prepare a link to the Aryan carrier. Also prepare an escort to accompany back to our carrier. I want to make an open declaration to the enemy.-
But my lord,-
The Aryan Faction may have fought against us, but they are still fellow Oceanarians. I do not wish to hold any grudge against them. Perhaps if they realize my capabilities and my intentions, they will surrender.-
My lord,-
That is an order, Imetriarch. Crassus looked into the eyes of his young master, seeing the intensity of the late Drako Arakis.
As you wish, my lord, Crassus contacted the captain. Captain, Master Mulian will be returning to the ship. Set up a link to the Aryan carrier.
The Aryans, the captain asked, but why?
His Excellency orders it.-
Aye, sir, Crassus then turned to one of his subordinates.
Lieutenant, he said.
Sir&? the lieutenant replied.
Have a convoy for ten elite troops to escort Master Mulian back to our carrier.-
Yes sir, Imetriarch turned to Mulian.
Its all set, my lord.-
Thank you, Imetriarch. Muli replied. He accompanied the lieutenant rearward. Crassus only watched as his master disappeared into the darkness of the early morning hours.
I just hope this plan of yours works.-

Kairi accompanied Tidus and the rest of the reinforcements through the waterway and up the cliff to the rear of the Aryan lines. Already, there was bedlam as civil brawl came before the Aryans.
I have to find my brother. Kairi said. Armed with her win swords, she quickly rushed into the fray of the chaos.
Kairi wait, Tidus shouted.
Sir, what shall we do? a soldier asked.
Spread out and help the resistance!-
Sir,-
The company spread out to help their comrades.
Kairi entered the ship without a second thought, fearing only for her brothers safety. When entering, she came before a chaotic sight. There were slain soldiers here and there and the words Vancar Unisk Concorte Irakisin written upon the wall. The sounds of battle could be heard in muffled chattering.
My God, she thought to herself, what has been going on here? Running alongside the wall to avoid detection, Kairi made her way deeper into the interior again seeing the same type of carnage as she had when first entering. A voice boomed over the loud speaker.
My fellow loyalists, it was the voice of none other than Kirin.
Brother, Kairi said.
The time has come to take back what was unjustly stolen from you! The pride of your families has rested upon the shoulders of the Arakis Foundation! The Arakis Family is the true path! Do not throw away the oaths that your ancestors had vowed in protection of the Arakis family! Their way is the true Imperial way!-
As the message ended, from out of nowhere, a platoon of Aryan soldiers appeared, possibly to quell an uprising somewhere else. It was then that they happened to spot Kairi.
An outsider, the leader shouted.
Its a girl. A soldier added.
She must be a foundation sympathizer. Kill her now! The soldiers drew out their weapons and began to fire a hale of bullets into the corridor. Kairi quickly threw herself into one of the rooms just as the bullets passed and ricocheted by. The room was empty and dark and Kairi hid amongst the shadows. She heard the company draw closer and closer to the room. They suddenly stopped at the doorway, not daring to advance. Kairi could hear her own heartbeat.
Then, there was the sound of a dropping pin and a clicking metal mechanism, followed by the sound of a thrown object into the room, clanking on the ground. Kairi feared the worst, knowing what it might be. Her intuition was correct. The Aryans had thrown a hand grenade into the room.
Take cover! the commander shouted. But Kairi jumped out of the room unexpectedly just as the grenade detonated. Kairi jumped off the wall, off the ceiling and plummeted towards the soldiers. She slashed at four of them with one strike, maiming them and depriving them of their weapons. The soldiers were baffled, at the same time terrified.
How can this be? one soldier said.
Dont stand there, the leader shouted, Kill her! The soldiers took aim and began to shoot at Kairi, but the girl managed to evade them at close range and cut down two more. She then used one of her twin swords and impaled one of the other troopers at the shoulder.
Damn you, another trooper growled and aimed well, but Kairi cut his weapon in half and struck the young man in the shoulder.
You little strumpet! the leader bellowed, You will die! He drew out his pistol and shot at her, but Kairi managed to cut his pistol in half as well. The last soldier took aim to shoot the girl in the back. But Kairi sensed his presence and slashed upwards from behind. She cut the gun in two, as she did some of the others, then pummel kicked the young soldier in the gut, knocking him off his feet. The young soldier riled in agony from the pain.
You mustnt underestimate me because Im a girl. Kairi said. I might be just a civilian, but Ive learned from the best.
Damn you, the leader growled.
As you can see, I detest the thought of killing, which is why I only maimed your men. None of them will die and theyre too caught up in the pain to actually pick up their weapons and fight again. Besides, there arent any more weapons to fight with.
You think so? The leader quickly reached for the sword that Kairi impaled into on of his men. He plucked it out of the recruits shoulder who screamed in agony as the blade left his flesh. Then lets see how you favor against someone like me!
The leader attacked and struck with great ferocity. Kairi was calm though, not wavering at her opponents movements. By her standards, the man was an amateur. She evaded and blocked like the efforts of the leader were mere trifles.
Is this the best you can do? she asked.
Dont you dare mock me! the leader shouted, attacking on blind rage alone.
Youre getting emotional. Thats not a good thing in this type of contest.-
Shut your mouth! The leader lunged at Kairi. This proved to be a fatal mistake. Kairi evaded the thrust, spun around and elbowed the man at the side of the head. The leader struck the wall and slumped unconscious to the ground. When all was quiet, Kairi picked up her other sword.
You were good, but not good enough.-
Is that so? a voice said from further down the corridor. You think that youre quite a skilled swordsman, girl? Kairi turned to see a tall man dressed in a black frock, covered with a grey overcoat. His garments were far more elaborate than the other soldiers and he bore a generals black helmet with gold spire atop it. Then why dont we see how well you favor against the likes of me.
Who are you?-
I am the leader of this entire operation, girl. I am Lieutenant General Hector Fortinbras. He drew out his officers saber.
A top rank proves nothing.-
Does it not?-
The general suddenly attacked with incredible swiftness. He struck and lunged with incredible accuracy and skill. Kairi now saw that his words were more than just big talk. Unlike the miniscule leader of the platoon she battled earlier, Fortinbras proved to be a skilled combatant in the way of the blade. His timing and his evasion were just as deadly and accurate as Kairis, if not a little greater. The young woman now faced a determined warrior who was ready to kill and had the means and the skill to do so. The battle only lasted for two minutes before a fatal blow was given. Fortinbras slashed upward then to the side, knocking both swords out of Kairis hands. Kairi fell to the ground. Deprived of her weapons, she didnt know what to do now.
This cant be. She thought to herself. How could I lose so easily?
I guess youre nothing, but cheap talk when it comes to fighting a real warrior. Fortinbras mocked. This type of battle isnt for feeble and fragile females such as you. The only conclusion that you will always encounter in the end is death! Fortinbras lifted up his sword and prepared to smite her.
But at the last minute, a shadowy figure appeared, throwing its presence between the generals descending sword and Kairi. Kairi closed her eyes, fearing the strike of the blade. But as she came to realize she was still alive, Kairi opened her eyes. She gazed up to see none other than her brother. His long handled blades crossed at the hilts blocking the sharpened steel of Fortinbras.
You leave my little sister alone, you filth. He uttered.
Kirin of the Flaming Blades, Fortinbras was stunned, What are you doing here?!
Just passing by, Using his strength, he pushed back the general. His blades caught the spark from the grind and began to bellow flames. Kirin stood between the enemy and his sister.
Kirin, Kairi uttered, Youre here.
Are you alright?-
Yes,-
What are you doing here anyway?-
I came to find you.-
That was a stupid thing you did. Kirin seemed to scold his little sister.
But,-
This is a dangerous place deep behind enemy lines. You knew of the danger and yet you came here anyway. That was a very stupid thing for you to do, Kairi. Kairi lowered her head.
I just& she uttered, her voice wavering. I just thought that&
Well, whatever you thought, you were wrong. There was a sudden silence. But then again, I am glad that you came to find me. It just goes to show that I have proven myself to you.
Brother, Kairi looked up with a half smile and tears in her eyes.
Now, go and help the others. This guy is mine.-
But Kirin,-
Ill be alright. You just make sure that we win this thing.-
Right, Kairi didnt want to argue and quickly withdrew, leaving Kirin and Fortinbras in their stand-off. Kirins piercing gaze was fixed on the general. Fortinbras had this smirk upon his face.
I see, he said. I see now why youre here. That little strumpet is your sister.
Watch your tongue. Kirin replied.
What fortuitous circumstance is this, to find Kirin of the Flaming Blades and his sibling here as well?-
I wouldnt be cocky if I were you, Fortinbras. So far your lack of strategic skill has cost you dearly. Now, there is an uprising within you own ranks.-
And I take it that you are the one who was responsible for that.-
I know of the hasty coup against the Arakis Foundation. I also know that amongst the Aryan Faction officers, not one is truly fit to serve as a commander, even Lord Marcus Montague himself. And of all of his officers, you General Fortinbras are the most incompetent and the most despised.-
Thats awfully bold statement, traitor!-
Is it not true? The only reason why you probably took on this job was because you wanted to redeem yourself for the disgraceful performance you displayed in the Oceansburg Campaign. But lets face it, you suck at strategy and leadership, which is the reason why your men hate you. Its always about you and your ego and no one else. If somethings your fault, you point the finger at others to take the blame for your mistakes. Of course this lecture was wearing on the generals mind. Though he did not outwardly show it, he was boiling from within. His fists clutched tightly, but relaxed after relieving his conscience of his past mistakes.
I have to admit, Fortinbras stated, I have made some mistakes in the past. I may not be a great strategist and I may be despised by the very men who serve me, but at least I had the decency to remain loyal to the Imperial cause. Unlike you, a once faithful and trusted officer of the Midnight Faction, now youre an outcast, a rebel, a traitor to your comrades, your lord, and to the Imperial cause.-
I followed the Imperial cause only for the sake of fulfilling my own goals.-
And what goals might that be?-
Thats not open for discussion now is it? Kirin growled.
I see, it must be that strumpet sister of yours. You threw all of your efforts with the faction away just because of her, didnt you? Why else would you defect? Kirin clutched his fists. So it is true, you cared little for the Imperial cause. You only cared about your sister.
Theres no use hiding anything from you is there? Kirin chuckled. I guess you do have a brain to match your ego.
Mark my words, Kirin. Fortinbras threw his sword before the young man. Once I dispense with you, I will then kill your sister. Then both of you can walk side by side in the afterlife.
Thats not going to happen. Youre dealing with Kirin of the Flaming Blades.-
Should I waver? Fortinbras took a defensive stance. The reason why I seldom excel in strategy and tactics is because that was not my main focus. My main focus was based on combat. If I didnt have to stand behind and observe our men from the rear during the Oceansburg Campaign as a good general should, I can assure you that the outcome would have been completely different.-
I know why you were standing in the rear, so youd be furthest from the danger.-
Stupid boy, you will soon realize the extent of your folly. I am not as weak in combat as I am in tactics.-
Then lets just see.-
Kirin was the first one to attack. He struck with incredible precision and speed. He thrust, knowing that Fortinbras would dodge. Like Saitos Gatotsu, Kirin twisted the blade to its side and used a side sweep. But again, Fortinbras evaded, moving out of reach of the attack. He then swerved to strike Kirin at the back of the neck. But Kirin used his other blade and blocked the attack. He swerved around again, hoping to slice the general from the side, but again the general evaded. Like two coordinated dance partners, Kirin and Fortinbras struck and counter-struck, dodged and parried, slashed and thrust, but with no clear winner.
However, it was within the period of five minutes that Kirin realized Fortinbras was not bluffing. He was indeed a formidable fighter.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment