Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - Change

This story is the first in a series of stories I wrote based of Generation X. In changes, a new character joins the school, which leads to positive changes for Penance

Chapter 1 - Change

Chapter 1 - Change
Attention:  Generation X and their villians, as wellas any other mutant mentioned in this story, is property of Marvel Comics. The character Richard Cale is named after family relations.  Any otherreference to anything copywrighted is a chance happening.
====================================================
Changes
Chapter 1  Change
            Thephone was ringing.  Sean Cassidy, headmaster of Xavier's School forGifted Youngsters, ran into his office and answered it.  "Hello, SeanCassidy speaking."
            Ayoung man's voice on the other end spoke, "Hello, Mr. Cassidy.  AmI correct in assuming that I have reached the Xavier School for GiftedYoungsters?"
            "Aye,that is correct.  May I ask why?"
            "Mr.Cassidy, I'm a mutant wondering about enrolling in the school."
            "Howdo you know that you are a mutant, lad?"
            "Letme put it this way.  Have you ever heard about mutants that can mimicpowers?"
            "Aye,we have one like that here."
            "Itake it to the extreme.  I can mimic abilities, as well as personalities."
            "Areyou saying that you can mimic a mutant yur near?"
            "Insimple terms, yes.  Change is inevitable, doubly so for me. I have a relative that has the mutant ability to project future events. After some time with them, I mimicked that ability and their personality. It was a very strange experience.  Although, the reason I called wasbecause of the Onslaught ordeal.
            "Isee, but how did you avoid detection of Sentinels and other devices specifiedfor detecting mutants?"
            "Whenever my ability is neutral, I can avoid detection.  One time, I stoodabout ten feet from a sentinel and it just avoided me."
            "Well,but are you afraid of your ability.  That is usually the reason someof me students have joined."
            "Fact. My mutant ability causes me to mimic personalities, as I mentioned before. I'm afraid that I may lose my personality in the process. And in some cases,I almost do.  Sir, I hate to cut this short, but I must get ready. My plane leaves in a while and it is quite a drive to get to the airport."
            "Okay,lad.  I shall pick you up at the airport, with a couple of my students."
            "NO! I'm sorry sir, but I would be grateful if you wait for me, alone. I want the students to meet the real me first.  I should be easy toidentify, all in black, about 21, but could you describe yourself so Ican find you with little trouble."
            "Okay,I have orangish hair, a slight goatee and I'll be wearing a Celtics jacket."
            "Alrightythen.  I shall arrive at Logan Airport, on flight 341 from Newark. See you in a couple of hours."
            Hehung up.  He didn't even say his name.  He decided to call Scottand find out if the X-Men had contacted him or not.
********************************************

            Seanran over to Emma's quarters as if there was no time left in the world. But the call he had just received had struck him as odd. As he arrived,Emma opened the door and said, "Something wrong?"  with a sly smileon her face.  He couldn't tell if she had read his mind or not. Ofcourse, if she did, he didn't have to remind her that she would regretit.  He had already told 'er once back when Penance had arrived.
            "Nae,just more of a shock.  I just received a call from a lad, 'bout Jono'sage.  He said that he is a mutant and wishes to join the school."
            "Thissurprises you, Sean.  Maybe the X-men contacted him."
            "Nae,when I asked Scott about the lad.  He said that for some reason, thelad could nae be detected.  It was as he was nae a mutant, yet hewas."
            "Thatis indeed strange.  Did you agree to let this boy enroll?"
            "Emma,if he is a mutant, he is free to enroll.  Tis odd tho, how he seemsto dodge mutant detection devices.  He even said that he stood about10 feet from a Sentinel and wasn't even threatened by it."
            "Thatis odd.  But, how does he know he is a mutant?"
            "Hesaid, and I quote, 'Change is inevitable, doubly so for me.' Afterward,he told me about a mutant in his family.  This mutant had the abilityto project images of the future.  He said that after a short timewith them, he mimicked their ability, as well as his relative's personality."
            "Youmean to say that this boy may be able to mimic other mutants."
            "Aye,and he said that he wants to help people, instead of letting his abilityharm people, or other mutants."
            "Andif Apocalypse or even worse, Emplate, finds out about this mutant, everyonecould suffer.  How soon will he get here?"
            "Hesaid he would arrive at the airport in 10 hours.  We should tell thestudents."
            "Yes,especially if his ability is what we believe it is.  I will contactthem telepathically." Sean turned and ran for the assembly hall. He hoped that everybody would welcome him with open arms.  But, thelad said he would try to avoid close proximity to the others for a whileat least.

            "Great,why is it just as we get settled into a routine, something happens." She understood most what change meant.  She remembered that changelost her best bud, Wolverine.  She knew enough about change. It was change that was affecting the world, since Onslaught.  Sheeven remembers the change that brought her to the X-Men.  Change affectedeverything in life, and you can't just shove it in a corner and think thatnothing is happening.
            "Jubilee,please stop acting so juvenile."
            Jubileeturned to Monet.  She had been starting to get along with her sinceMs. Frost tried to protect them from Onslaught.  But, Monet didn'tunderstand how much changes affected everything.  "Listen, Monet,when I was with the X-Men..."
            <Enoughof the sermon, Jubilee>  Jono said.  He had gotten used to hatingthat as much as everyone else.  About the only one who didn't sayanything about it was Penance, and that was only because she didn't talk.
            "Okay,I get the picture.  I won't go into one of those stories.  Imean, it not like it's my life."
            "Jubilee,you shouldn't lie like that," Everett said.  Since the two had gottencloser in the past weeks, it was hard to lie in front of him.
            Seanand Emma walked in and Sean tuned to Emma.  "Aye, everybody is hereexcept for Penance."
            "Icouldn't contact her.  Jubilee, do you think you could tell Penanceabout this when we get finished.  You two are almost like sisters."
            "Noproblem, Emma.  By the way, what is this all about?"
            "Yes,what's going on?"  Angelo asked, relaxing in a chair.  The headphonesto his walkman were resting around his neck.  It was obvious thathe didn't want another of Sean's sonic screams.
            "Alright,I received a call today.  A lad said that he would like to join theschool," Sean said.
            "Itake it that this boy is a mutant like us," said the calm voice of Mondo. Mondo had to have been the most laid back mutant she had ever met. She remembered that he said that life just happens.
            "Aye,that he is.  But, his ability is very unusual.  From what wecan figure, 'e might have the ability to mimic any mutant, ability andpersonality."
            "Like,that would be so happening.  I mean he could hang with me and Synchand have a triple firework show."
            Monetthen said, "He wants to enroll so that his ability doesn't threaten people."
            "Thatand he fears his ability, and he could be more dangerous if yur brotherever finds out about 'im."
            Monet'seyes went wide at that.  Jubilee understood what that could mean. A second Emplate would be twice the trouble that M's brother already was. "Let's hope we can get him here without Emplate finding out."
            "Exactly. I will pick him up at the airport in a while.  He asked that we keepa distance for a while.  His mutant ability makes him vulnerable tomutants.  He wants to let you meet the real him before he joins us. He doesn't want us to get to close, since that is what triggers his ability. And no tricks, Angelo and Everett."
            "Who,us?" the two said in unison.  "We are perfect angels."
            "Thetail and pitchforks give you away, guys," Paige said.  She had beenon the receiving end of a couple of their jokes.  Jubilee could remembermany times where they had cut off the hot water in the showers. Paige'sshrieks were easy to notice, even when they woke her up in the morning.
            "Alright,but don't forget, he can mimic both you abilities and personalities." The two looked at each other and realized that he could make them the victimsof their own jokes.  Jubilee couldn't help but laugh.
            "Doesthat include memories as well?"  Paige asked.  She was a bitworried about something.  Jubilee wondered if it was that romancebetween her and Jono.  Jubilee suspected that the two might be anditem, but they were acting strangely for a while.
            "Wearen't sure about that, lass.  As far as we know, it might, and itmight not."
            "Great,he might mimic Monet and space out until his ability wears out," she blurtedout.
            "That'senough, lass.  We hope that might not be an extreme to his ability. We each have our flaws.  If he can also mimic those flaws, he mightlose his identity all together."  Losing one's identity sound justlike the Phalanx.  He could virtually be a mutant Phalanx, but thelikelihood of that was extreme.  Jubilee still remembered the Phalanxand how dangerous they had been.  They had tried to kidnap all ofGen X students at the time.  It cost the life of Clarise as she destroyedthe one Phalanx, that had kidnapped Paige, Angelo, Monet, and Clarise. Sean then said, "Kids, I just want ye to help settle in.  I want eachof ye to pick a job to do.  He needs to get familiar with grounds. Also, keep yur distance for the first day or two.  He wants us toget to know him before we see his power in full force."
            Withthat, Sean dismissed everybody.  She looked at everybody.  Theywere already picking out jobs.  All of sudden, Jono startled her bysaying "Do you want me to tell Penance about the boy?"
            "No,Jono.  I think I can handle it.  The trick is finding her. She acts as she's afraid to stay still, and if I don't find her beforethis new guy arrives, she will find him."
            "Howdo you figure that?"
            "Ithink that after being held captive by Emplate, she's going to check outany one who arrives.
            "Incase 'e might be a bloody danger?"
            "Like,duh.  She is still on her guard.  It took us a couple monthsbefore she would let anyone of us get near her."  She then rememberedthat Jono was the only one who could stop her rampage on the night shewas left here.  "I'm sorry, Jono.  I forgot your part in allthat."
            "It'sokay.  People usually remember action, not talk."
            "Whatare you going to do when he arrives?"
            "I'vedecided to show him the med center, just in case he mimics me"
            Jubileethought about that for a moment.  Then she realized that Jono meantthe large hole in him that his psionic powers created.  "I see. Who'sgoing to show him the Grotto."
            "Paigegot that duty."  There was a small pain of sadness in his voice,at the mention of Husk, but she decided not to pry.
            "Ibetter go hunt down Penny.  She's gotta know about this before hearrives."  She ran at full bolt to the only place she knew to lookfor Penance, the 'Danger Grotto'.
 
 

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment