Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 2 - First Impressions

This story is the first in a series of stories I wrote based of Generation X. In changes, a new character joins the school, which leads to positive changes for Penance

Chapter 2 - First Impressions

Chapter 2 - First Impressions
Attention:  Generation X and their villians, as wellas any other mutant mentioned in this story, is property of Marvel Comics. The character Richard Cale is named after family relations.  Any otherreference to anything copywrighted is a chance happening.
====================================================
Changes
Chapter 2   First Impressions
            Ithad taken a while to talk to the class, and a good amount of time thento prepare a single room for the new lad.  Sean had arrived at theairport with plenty of time.  He noticed that a limo had arrived inthe area.  Probably somebody important was going to be picked up. He was just here to pick up the newest student at the school.
            Attention,Flight 341 from Newark is arriving at gate 12."  That was the lad'sflight.  He headed for the gate area and waited.  The lad askedhim to describe himself so he could identify Sean when he arrived.
            Hewatched the people arriving.  He eventually saw a lad, about 21, dressedall in black, exiting the gate.  The lad looked at him and noddedand started in his direction.  This lad was apparently the new student.

            Hewalked off the plane and through the gate and looked around.  He thensaw the man, slight goatee, orangish hair, and a Celtics jackets. He headed for the man.  That must have been Sean Cassidy, head ofXavier's School for Gifted Youngsters.  He wondered what Cassidy'sabilities were? It would be interesting to find out.  He went to shiftthe weight of his carry-on bag when he glanced at his hand.  A holewas starting to form on his hand.  There must be another mutant inthe area.  He must be passing near this mutant.  For some reason,he didn't like this.  He broke into a fast paced walk.  The holequickly disappeared.   As he approached Mr. Cassidy, he said,"Sir, as much I would like to spend some time chatting with you here, Iwould think it best that we hit the road."
            Mr.Cassidy looked and said, "What about yur luggage, lad?"
            "Allin hand.  Now, let's get the lead out.  Something is screwy inSt. Louis."
            "What'swrong, lad?"  Mr. Cassidy asked keeping about 10 feet from him.
            "I'lltell you when it's safe.  I have a feeling that something is waitingfor me there."
            Thetwo rushed for Mr. Cassidy's car and got in.  They left the airportalmost at breakneck speed.  He had forgotten about his usual precautionsand sat up front.  This was when Mr. Cassidy said, "Now, lad couldye tell me what that twas 'bout?"
            Heturned to Mr. Cassidy and said, "Twas about me mutant ability kicking in. I think there was another mutant there, with ill intent."
            Mr.Cassidy had a shock on his face and said, "I take it yur ability has kickedin on me."
            "Aye,it has.  If ye need proof, find a clearing and I'll show ye."
            Itwas just a little while until they found a clearing.  He got out ofthe car and walked to a distance and said, "Mr. Cassidy, I take that ye'power deals with sonic screams."
            "Aye,it does."  With that, he opened his mouth and screamed at such a pitchthat he started to elevate in the air.  "So that's what you mean bymimicking other mutants."
            "Aye. But it does have a constraint to it.  I have figured that the timeI'm with a mutant, I hold there ability for the time I am with them, plushalf of that time when out of proximity."
            "Amazing,so you are able to mimic any mutant ability for as long as you want."
            "Mr.Cassidy, after communicating with another mutant, I found out that if Iam in proximity of a mutant for more than 84 hours, I will keep those abilitiesforever." It was just then when Mr. Cassidy's ability left him and he dropped. Since he wasn't to far up, he landed with no injury.
            "So,that's why ye want to avoid contact, or closeness."
            "Yes. It's even more dangerous if I don't make the first step.  I don'thold control and there is a personality struggle.  In those forcedaltercations, I usually just get a brief headache, but the more traumaor pain that a mutant had suffered, I suffer and lose in the battle."
            Mr.Cassidy headed back to his car and opened the back car door. "So, ye wantto be careful the first couple of days.  But what about at the airport,what was that about?"
            Hegot into the car and said, "A brief worry.  I hope that I don't runinto that again, but I feel that will change."
            "Bythe way lad, what is ye name?  Ye didnae tell me over the phone."
            "RichCale.  My relatives came from England."
            "Well,I hope you enjoy excitement.  Ye will probably see a lot of it atthe school."
            "Zalright. I just hope that time gives me some rest."  He had a feeling aboutthat other presence.  He thought he dodged it fast enough, but itwould return.  His luck had been going good for too long.  Itwas soon time for the bad luck to start.  He just hoped that it wouldn'thurt any of the new friends he was going to make here.

            Jubileewas waiting for Sean to get back with the new student.  She wasn'texactly thrilled with what she had to tell Sean.  After all that timeof searching, she still couldn't find Penny.  She had to admit thatwhen Penny wanted to, Penny disappeared from sight all together. She saw Sean's jeep coming to a stop in the driveway.  She watchedas Sean got out of the driver's side and from the back, appeared a guy,about Jono's age.  He wore glasses and the first thought in her mindwas "Nerd."  He was dressed all in black and carried a black carry-onbag, and a black backpack.
            Helooked around at the school.  "Haven't seen anything like it sincethe midnight movie."
            Whoa. Midnight movie.  Did this guy mean her favorite movie in the entireworld?  Could he be a fan of the movie?  This could change everything. She immediately forgot the problem about Penance and shouted, "Do you mean'Rocky Horror'?"
            Seanlooked at the lad, "I guess you should be introduced.  This is JubilationLee.  I guess you hit a key point with the lass.  Is yur abilitykicking in on her?"
            Theguy shook his head and turned to her.  He extended a hand and said,"Hi, I'm Brad Majors."  She started to respond, but turned it intoa laugh.  He looked at her and said, "I always knew how to make peoplelaugh."
            Ittook her a while to calm down.  Afterwhile, she said to Sean, "Sir,can I talk to you for a moment."
            Seanwalked over to her and said, "What tis it, lass?"
            "It'sabout Penance.  I wasn't able to find her.  She must be in theshadows somewhere."
            "Ifshe was nearby, lass, Rich would have known it."
            "Isthat his name, Rich?"
            "Aye,lass.  And his mutant ability is exactly what we figured it wouldbe.  But, it might be more so.  If he holds an ability for abouta week's time, he keeps that ability, and personality.  Fact being,he mimicked me and even copied my speech pattern."
            "Ihope that he doesn't physically change.  That would be totally awkward." She thought about it for a moment, and mentally chuckled.  It wouldhave been a funny sight as well.
            "Idon't think that is a problem, but something worried him at the airport. 'E said that there was a mutant in the area.  He had us get out ofthere in a hurry, but he seems to forget his safeguards, so it must haveworried him."
            "Thatain't good."
            "Aye,who is going to show him the computer."
            "Monet. Why?"
            "I'llask her to make him familiar with the files we have on our enemies. This way, he knows who to avoid."
            "Well,shall I take him to his room?"
            "Didyou get that duty?"
            "Irequested it.  I do have some questions for him."
            "Alright,lass."  He turned to Rich and said, "Jubilee is going to show youto ye room.  We will have a meeting to introduce ye in a little bit."
            Hegave a salute of sorts and said, "Okay, boss."  He seemed to be aperpetual source of one-liners.
            "Thisway to the lovely accommodations of stately Xavier Manor.  I hopeyou like action, you might see a lot."  She turned and started walkingto the guy's dorm.  She turned her head and noticed that he was aboutfive feet behind her.  "What's with the distance?"
            "Simple,my mutant ability.  It is distance activated.  If I get any closer,I will start mimicking you.  Hell, I could know some private stuffabout you.  Your deepest fears, your deepest secrets, or, well I don'thave to say any more."
            Shegot the point.  Imagine learning all that just by being near the person,and have their mutant ability as well.  "So, you could use your abilityto find out about people."
            "Thatand I found out once that when I use ones mutant ability, I can use itagainst them, at least if my personality is in control."
            "Waita minute!  What do you mean by that?"
            "CanI explain that later?  I do want to get a bit settled in."
            "Okay." They had entered the guy's door and he was given a room on the main floor. She went to the door and checked it.  "It's safe.  Welcome toyour room."
            Hewent to the door.  She was standing about four feet from the door. She didn't even realize that he mimicked her until he did the same thingand kicked the door open.  When the door opened, he jumped away anda bucket of water tipped over and drenched the floor.  He looked ather and said, "Let me guess.  Practical jokers.  That is totallybogus."  After a couple of seconds, he said, "Let me guess, you suspectedthat might happen."
            "Yeah,but..."  He glanced at her with a wry smile and she stopped that thought. "Oh, I guess I was too close."
            "Yea,but I made the first step."  He walked into the room and shouted,"I love a single room, sometimes.  Well, I guess we better head tothat meeting.  I am not getting any younger, and there are more mutantsto meet."  This guy seemed totally kewl.  She thought, with himaround, things might never be dull.

            "Alrightchildren, we must give our new student some kindness," Emma said. She had decided to mentally monitor Rich.  Penance was still hiding,and they didn't know what would happen if she approached him.  "Rich,why don't you tell the students about yourself and your abilities.
            Henodded.  He then turned to the class assembled in the hall and startedto speak.  "Well, my name is Richard Cale, but I prefer that you callme Rich.  I discovered my mutant ability many years ago, but it hasbecome a problem recently."
            Paigehad then asked, "How much of a mutant can you 'mimic'?"
            "Ican mimic their abilities, but I also mimic their personalities. I canlearn things about them, including secrets, fears."
            Monetdecided to ask, "What about flaws?"
            "Ifyou talking about personal flaws with abilities, only if I am not in controlof my personality.  Now your own private flaws, that is another story. Now let's say, if you have an emotional problem, it also appears in mewhen I mimic your personality."
            "Whatabout mental and psychological problems?"
            "Theonly one I won't mimic is epilepsy."
            "Why?" It was Everett who had asked that question.
            "Because,I'm epileptic.  I can tell you this, if I appear to have an epilepticattack, scan my mind.  If there are thoughts in there, it means thata mutant has gotten to close to me, and I am unwillingly getting therethoughts and abilities."
            "Soundpainful, senor."  Angelo had remarked.
            "Itis, but it is not as painful as what happens to practical jokers that pulljokes on me."  He gave a devilish smile in Angelo and Everett's direction. Apparently the boys decided to try and pull a trick on him. "Besides, thebucket of water gag is a classic.  I haven't heard of anyone beinginjured by being drenched.  Internally, I was laughing at the reactionI would have given."
            Franklindecided to ask, "What does it feel like when a mutant gets too close?"
            "Well,it depends on the mutant.  It can be a slight headache, or it couldbe...."  He trailed off and collapsed.  He started moving inspasms. She scanned his mind and found that there were conflicting thoughtsin his head.  She guessed what happened.  Penance was near him.
 
 

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment