Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 5 - Breakthrough

This story is the first in a series of stories I wrote based of Generation X. In changes, a new character joins the school, which leads to positive changes for Penance

Chapter 5 - Breakthrough

Chapter 5 - Breakthrough
Attention:  Generation X and their villians, as wellas any other mutant mentioned in this story, is property of Marvel Comics. The character Richard Cale is named after family relations.  Any otherreference to anything copywrighted is a chance happening.
====================================================
Changes
Chapter 5 Breakthrough
            Itwas a short while after everybody entered the hall.  Penance wouldhave liked to join in the festivities, but she was more comfortable wheneverybody else wasn't around.  She decided, although that she wouldadd her own little touch to the celebration.  She had searched aroundthe school, and found a grove of red roses.  She used her hands tocut some and placed them at the door.  She figured that Rich wouldknow why they were there.  She turned and ran to the ground. As she jumped back into the greenery, she kicked a rock in the directionof the door.  As the door open, she smiled when Rich appeared andlooked around.  He looked down and saw the roses and looked around. She move out of the greenery and waved.  He smiled and bowed. She then went back to the Biosphere.  She knew it would be a whileuntil he returned to the Biosphere, but she would wait.

            Jubileewatched as Rich opened the door.  She noticed that he picked somethingup, but wasn't sure what.  She walked over to the door and said, "So,what was at the door, Rich?"
            Shenoticed that he started to blush as when he closed the door and turnedto face her.  She then saw about a dozen roses in his hands. She finally noticed that everything stopped when Rich had turned with theroses. "I can never say that nobody loves me.  And to think, I hadthe worst luck when it came to love?"
            Seanthen said, "Ok, who set this one up?  Everett, Angelo, is this a joketo welcome Rich in?"
            Thetwo looked at each other in amazement and said, "Sir, that's too heartless,even for us?  Give us some credit, we wouldn't hurt someone's feelings."
            "Thenwho did that?"
            Richonly smiled and started to laugh.  He knew who it was, and he wasgetting a laugh out of everybody trying to figure it out.  Monet walkedover to her and said, "Jubilee, I think I know who did it."
            "Okay,Monet.  Who do you think did that?"
            "Whois the first person here that Rich has made contact with?"
            Jubileethought for a moment.  Rich had met almost everybody, but due to Sean'sscheduling, he was going to meet everybody individually tomorrow. Who did Rich make contact with?
            Richstarted humming.  He was enjoying the chaos that was ensuing due tothis turn of events.  But there was something familiar in the hum.As everybody continued to talk, Rich hummed louder.  Jubilee finallyrecognized it.  It was the theme from Star Trek.  She turnedto Monet and said, "Monet, have you seen Star Trek?"
            "Ihave never watched the show.  I do know the series has some movies. I know one had first contact with an alien probe in it."
            "That'sit, Monet.  I know who delivered the roses."  The commotion aroundthem stopped as every stared at her.  She got the feeling that everybodywas giving her a "you better fess up now" look.
            Richglanced at her and said, "And welcome to Final Jeopardy.  the Category,Generation X.  The Final Answer is 'The one who delivered the rosesto the door.'  You have 30 seconds.  Remember to phrase youranswer in the form of a question."  He started to hum the Jeopardytheme.
            Jubileefelt like she was really on the spot.  She decided that she was justgoing to say it.  "It's Penance.  She left the roses." Everyone just looked at her.
            Emmagave her a stern look and said, "Jubilee, I think you're trying to hideyour guilt."  She was about to do a mind probe on her when Rich stoppedhumming.
            Richlooked at Jubilee and Emma and said, "I sorry, you forgot to phrase itin the form of a question.  If you would have, you could have wonthe grand prize.  Try again, next time."
            Jubileedecided to put a smirk on her face as Emma's eyes, as well as everybodyelse's, went wide in shock.  The only people that didn't seem shockedwere Monet and Paige.  "I hate to say I told you so, but I told youso."
            Richspoke again, "I don't think she felt to comfortable with a lot of peopleyet.  She seems to like me, thou."  He smelled the roses andthen decided that he would need to put the flowers in something. "Is there a vase available for some flowers?"
            Paigewalked over and stop near him and said, "Ah'll take care of them, Rich. Something tells me that you are the best thing to happen to Penance ina long time."  Rich handed them to her and Paige left the room totake care of the roses.
            Jubileelooked at Rich and said, "I'm glad for Penny's sake that we found someone who can communicate with her.  But, could this really be love?"
            Richlooked at her and said, "I'm the first person who could truly communicatewith her.  When faced with trauma during one's life, one latches ontosomeone who can understand them.  Penny feels that way about me, andthe truth be told, she has a beauty all her own."
            "Areyou saying that you are falling in love with her?"
            Richsmiled and said, "Only time will tell, only time will tell." He turnedto the group and said, "Now, this is supposed to be a party.  Do wehave some music?"
            Jonowalked over to the stereo and said <What do you prefer, gov? GreenDay.  REM. Rocky... Jubilee, did you sneak one of your CD's in here?>
            "Andwhat's wrong with Rocky Horror?  It is one of the best movies ever."
            Richthen said, "Put that one in, Jono.  I'm in a bit of a silly mood. I should have gotten my video out for later."
            Jubileewas overjoyed.  This guy was one of the coolest guys she ever meet. "Alright.  It's time to do the Time Warp."
            Richlooked at her and said, "Has anybody else here seen the movie?"
            "No,I don't think so."
            "Well,the way Emma Frost dresses, it's hard to tell."
            Emmagave him a look of disgust.  "Richard, be careful what you say. Iam not a person that you want to make mad."
            "Emma,lighten up.  It's my first day, and we are going to celebrate. If you can't take a joke, you need a sense of humor.  Besides, I sawthe people at the theater dress in costumes that makes some of your clothinglook like overdressing."  Emma start to chuckle, but quickly stoppedherself.
            Themusic started up and everything seemed to be going well.  Rich feltcomfortable, and everybody appeared to be accepting him with open arms.She thought that Rich would be one of the best things to happen to theschool.
 
 
**************************************

            Richfelt almost tired when the party ended.  When the Rocky Horror soundtrackstarted, it was only he and Jubilee that were singing and dancing, butby the time the last song was playing, almost everybody was singing anddancing.  He felt a little upset when the party ended, but he hadother things to do before he hit the hay.  Rich ran at breakneck speedto the Biosphere.  Almost everybody was heading to bed, or talk abit before they head to bed, and Rich had the same idea.   Heentered the Biosphere and started to walk around.  He heard a rustlingin the nearby shrubbery.  He walked in the general direction and sawPenance.  He had started to mimic her and she asked, {Did you likethe roses?}
            Hesmiled and said, {Yvette, I loved the roses.  Although, I wished youcould have been there to see how everybody reacted.}
            {Didanyone figure out it was me that left the roses?}
            {Ithink three people were not surprise by that.  Jubilee, Monet andPaige.  Jubilee caught on to my hints before anybody else did. I think Monet just thought about it.  As for Paige, I think our talkearlier gave a hint.}
            Penanceagain acted as if she was giggling.  She looked cute when she didthat.  {I bet it was a madhouse in there.  I wonder how everybodythinks of you now}
            {Itwas a common thought that I was the best thing for you. Everyone is surprisedat how well we are getting along.}
            Penancegave a slight smile.  {Especially with our start, I guess I totallyoverwhelmed you.}
            Withthat, Rich started to chuckle.  Even though it wasn't vocalized, Penancesmiled and silently joined in.  After they both stopped, Rich composedhis thoughts and finally said, {I guess it's truth time. Yvette what canyou tell me about Him.}
            Penancesat down and said, {You might want to sit down for this, it is a long story.}
            {Canyou give me the Reader's Digest Version?  Short and ... wrong phrase.}
            {Reader'sDigest.  What's that?}
            {It'sa magazine that comes in the mail and shortens stories down to a coupleof pages.  From 10 pages to 4 pages.  It just says, 'Good bye,junk'}
            {OK. But what was wrong with the Short phrase?}
            {Thatphrase is short and sweet.  I don't think there is anything sweetabout Him.}
            Penancenodded and said {Alright.  I told you I lost my folks in the war. As I had fled from my hometown, I lived by my wits for a while. EventuallyHe found me.  He didn't look like He does now.  He seemed tobe very well off.  He looked well-fed, but he was starving. I found out why days later.  He had taken me to a place, a lighthouseI guess.  The first few days were the only nice days.  Then Ifound out about him.  He came in and I saw the mouths on his hands. He grabbed me and I felt them bite into me.  The pain was unbearable. As time passed, I tried to escape.  I still had my own will, but Ifailed.  That was when he restrained me, with what I'm wearing now.}
            Richlooked at the black leatherish outfit she was wearing.  {You meanthis is still the same outfit.}
            {No,his servant, Little Man, he changed the restraints from time to time. But I wash them, as best I can.  Slowly, He started to control me,as He did the others.  I didn't have a free thought, until the beardedman brought me here.}
            Rich'seyes widened.  {Penance, this bearded man, was he dark skinned andhis beard whitish.}
            {Yes. That was him.  He was the one who brought me here.  How did youknow what he looked like.}
            {Ididn't tell Mr. Cassidy this, but that was the one who told me to comehere.  I wonder if this was what he had in mind.}  Rich stewedthe thought over in his mind.  Maybe that man had a plan of some sorts. That man had brought Yvette to the school and maybe, informing him aboutthe school was the man's way of helping the school communicate with her.
            {It'shard to say.  At times until recently, He still tried to control me. I lapsed into comas, trying to fight Him.  When he attacked the school,I was almost under His control again, until I managed to break free andhurt Him.}  She stopped and held his hand.  {I'm glad to be freeof Him, and I truly don't want to lose you to Him.}
            Richalmost couldn't voice what he said next, but he did.  {I don't wantto lose you to Him, either.  You know, this is awkward for me. I never had much luck with love, so it's strange to think that I have agirlfriend.}
            {It'sOk.  You're the first guy that I've been interested in.}
            {Well,let's see how things go.  Now, shall we start in on your English lessons.} Penance smiled and for the next two hours, Rich started to teach her thebasics of English.
 
 

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment