Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 6 - Unwelcome Intrusions

This story is the first in a series of stories I wrote based of Generation X. In changes, a new character joins the school, which leads to positive changes for Penance

Chapter 6 - Unwelcome Intrusions

Chapter 6 - Unwelcome Intrusions
Attention:  Generation X and their villians, as wellas any other mutant mentioned in this story, is property of Marvel Comics. The character Richard Cale is named after family relations.  Any otherreference to anything copywrighted is a chance happening.
====================================================
Changes
Chapter 6 Unwelcome Intrusions
            Hewas running.  Rich had a feeling he was being followed by someone. The school had been wrecked.  Yvette wasn't in the Biosphere and everyonewas missing.  He ran in partial terror and fear.  He couldn'tfind anyone.  He turned down one hall and ran into a dead end. There was no one down here and he turned to back track.  It was thenhe realized he was trapped.  Standing at the junction he just leftwas Emplate.  He heard the evil in the being's voice.  "Mr. Cale,I have been waiting to meet you. Your own ability would be very valuableto me, and the defeat of these morsels."  Emplate started to advance.
            Thefear was flowing through his veins.  He was afraid, but he could notlet it show.  "I won't let you make me into a creature like you." Rich knew that his only hope was to find a way to get past Emplate, buthe couldn't find any way other than to rush him.  He was trapped. The only other way out was the unthinkable.
            "Youcannot avoid your destiny, Mr. Cale.  You will be one of my group,be it your own doing, or totally unwilling.  There is no need to hideyour fear, I know that one more step gives me a new servant."  Emplatemade that step and Rich felt the pain.  He collapsed on the floorin a fit.  His struggle turned to an internal struggle as Emplate'spersonality started conflicting with his own.  He couldn't fight itand slowly accepted the fate.  A part of him hated giving up as Emplatetook over.  Then he had trouble breathing.  He couldn't breathe. As he labored for his next breath, it all ended.
            Richjumped up and looked around.  He was in his room.  He lookedat the clock and saw it was 4 AM.  Only when he had disturbing sleeps,did he wake like that before.  This dream, disturbed him so. His deepest fear was that it was an image of things to come.  A futurehe did not want.  Rich got out of bed, got dressed and looked throughhis bag.  It was almost midnight when he got in.  He spent mostof the time before that teaching Penance.  It would be a couple moredays until she could say some words, but she started to understand somekey words in English.  He found a special flute he purchased a longtime ago.  He figured that he should head over to the main building,eat an early breakfast and maybe ease his worries with some soft music.

            Monetlooked around.  She was scared, not because that Emplate was attackingthe school.  What scared her was that Rich had gone missing. She feared that her brother might have found Rich in his neutral state. If that was the case, she figured that Emplate would manipulate Rich intohurting everybody.  She continued searching the campus when Penancejumped in front of her.  She almost smiled when she saw Penance, atleast until she noticed Penance hands.  She saw that she was one ofEmplate's slaves now.  She started to back away from Penance. She knew that Penance would now kill her.  She moved backwards fasterand faster until she backed into something. She turned, only to be knockedoff her feet.  She turned to see Rich standing there, with a grinon his face.  "Rich, did you knock me down thinking I was Emplate. I hope you're Ok."
            Heeyed her with a look of what appeared to be hunger.  She realizedwhat was happening when he reached out to grab her.  His hands hadthe mouths that her brother's had.  Emplate must be controlling him. She tried to attack, but he grabbed her so quickly that she was surprised. He finally spoke as she tried to break the death grip on her, with no hopeof doing so. "You are probably thinking, who is in control.  Rich,or Emplate.  Well Monet, this should answer your question." All of a sudden, she felt a pain in each arm.  She felt the stabbingcontinue as if she was losing a part of herself.  All of sudden, shefelt as if she were dying.  Her immunity to Emplate wasn't working. Rich must have been in control of his thoughts, even though, he had herbrother's abilities.  She felt as she was about to die when she shuther eyes and screamed.
            Sheawoke in her own bed.  She sat up and looked around.  Everyonethought that Rich was a terrific person.  She had just seen a possibilitythat Rich would be more dangerous that anyone imagined.  She got up,and got dressed.  She looked at the clock, it read 4:30 AM. She decided that she would quietly head over to the main building and read. She was dreading meeting with Rich later today.  He could learn somethings about her, that she never told anyone.
            Shemoved quietly to the main building and entered it.  She heard music,or more specifically, a flute.  She followed the sound, until sheentered the kitchen.  She looked in the door and didn't see anyone. She figured that someone broke in and was hiding.  She slowly advancedand said, "Ok, whoever you are.  I not afraid to hurt you, so giveup."  The flute stopped and she turned to see someone sitting at thetable.  She jumped in fright when she saw who it was.
            "It'sjust me, Rich.  I woke up with a terrible nightmare.  I takeit that the same happened to you."  His voice was almost calm. He almost returned to playing his odd flute when he stopped and lookedback at her. "Do you mind talking about it?"
            Monethesitated in answering.  How could she talk to him about her nightmare. He was at the very base of it.  She then said, "I don't think youwould like to here about my nightmare.  It might not be the best thingfor you to hear."
            Helooked at her almost knowingly.  "It was about me.  Your reactiongave it away.  I wonder if our nightmares are linked in some way. My nightmare's feature player was your brother.  Now could we talkabout these nightmares, or do I have to find out about it later. I hate learning stuff using my ability."
            Monetwas almost amazed at how quick he read her actions.  She finally whento a seat a little ways from him.  "Okay, Rich, let's talk about ournightmares.  You tell me what your was about."
            Heplaced the odd flute down and looked at her.  "Monet, I dreamed thatsomething terrible happened to the school.  I looked for everybody. I knew someone was following me, but when I made a wrong turn, I was trappedby your brother.  He forced his ability onto me.  I woke up justas I transformed into him."
            Shegasped and then said, "Rich, that was similar to my dream, except thatyou had control of your mutant abilities.  You had his abilities andattacked me.  You were.. supping on me.  My immunity didn't kickin.  I figured something was wrong, when Penance was the same."
            Rich'seyes went wide.  She could tell that he was in love with Penance ashe shook in anger.  "No, I won't let him get control of her."
            "Rich,I wonder if you were controlling her."
            "Howcould you say such a thing, that I would do such a thing to her."
            "IfEmplate had controlled you at the time, it is possible.  I just hopethat this doesn't happen in real life."
            Richpicked up the flute.  He seemed a bit upset, by the way his hand shook. He seemed to almost be on the verge of a nervous breakdown.  He lookedat Monet and said, "I couldn't live with myself if I hurt Penance. I don't want to hurt her.  I don't want to hurt anyone, unless I haveto."
            Shewanted to comfort him, but she couldn't try to get near him. She noticedthe flute again and decided to ask.  "Rich, do you play music?" Helooked like he almost forgot about the flute and then nodded.  "Whydon't you play a little bit of music on that flute.  It is a flute,isn't it?"
            Helooked at it and said, "Yes, I had specially purchased.  I have becomequite a master at this instrument, as well as the violin."  He putthe flute to lips and started to play a tune.  Monet recognized thepiece as "In The Hall Of The Mountain King."  She listened and clappedwhen he finished the peace.  Rich then said, "It amazing to learntunes by ear."  He then played an excerpt from Swan Lake.  Hewas playing it perfectly until he hit a sour note.  He was startledby the sound of someone running.  Monet turned to see Paige run in,to get a water bottle for her morning jog.
            "Goodmorning, all.  Ah'm surprised to see that you are up so early Rich." Paige probably wasn't aware why Rich was up so early.  It was obviouslyapparent that Paige was surprise by Rich's habits.  It must have beenobvious that Rich was not an early morning riser.
            "Normally,Paige, I am in bed until around 7:30.  This is an unusual case. I have only woken up this early about twice in my life.  I would rathernot mention it now."  Monet wondered if Rich decided not to mentionsomething about the nightmare he had.  He then bowed to her and leftthe room.
            "Hedoes seem to be an odd one, doesn't he?"  Paige asked.
            "Yes,Paige.  He can communicate with Penance.  From what I can figure,he can detect Emplate before we would even know it.  He seems to bea very unique mutant.  Paige, do you think that he could be a bitof a problem, with his mutant ability?"
            "Idon't think he wants to be.  I mean, he could be, but his own mindwould allow it?"
            Paigehad made a good point.  Monet decided to think about it for a while. She kept thinking about until the next voice she heard was Jubilee's.
********************************************

            Seanwas not surprised at all, but his big question was what caused her to spaceout this time.  "Okay, what got her spaced out this time."
            Paige,who had just gotten in from her morning jog, said, "She spaced out whenwe were talking about Rich.  When I said something about him not hurtingpeople, she just spaced out."
            Jubilee,who had just walked in said, "Do you want me to get Rich? I saw him overin the lounge, play a weird flute."
            Seanthought it over and might be good to get Rich over here.  Rich mighthave some insight to what lead to Monet's recent spell.  "Ye bettergo get the lad, Jubilee.  If worse comes to worse, we might need Richto pull her out."
            Jubileequickly left the room and then returned with Rich walking in after her. He had a calm look on his face, yet it was a look of little sleep. Rich looked straight and Sean and said, "What's up?"
            Seansigned and said, "Rich, do you have any idea why Monet went into one ofher spells?"
            Richlooked and Monet and asked, "Is she cataleptic?"
            "No,lad, she is autistic.  Apparently, she started thinking about something,and since you talked to her before, and she asked about you, I can onlyassume that you might have an insight."
            Richlet a look of regret cross his face, as if he knew something was goingto happen.  He then said, "Maybe I shouldn't mention my nightmareto her.  I hate it when my mind does things like this.  I wishI had a better idea why it happens."  Rich started pacing.
            "Wellwhat was this nightmare about, Richard."  Sean turned to see Emmastanding at the door to the kitchen.  "I think you would want to consultme about it."
            "Ms.Frost,"  Rich said almost calmly, "I would not like to subject anybodyto my nightmares.  I might have made a mistake telling Monet. If it would be Ok with everybody, I like to get on with today,  Ithink......" His words trailed off and Sean looked at Emma.  Her eyeshad a glow in them that signal the use of her telepathic abilities. He collapsed on the floor as the glow disappeared from her eyes.
            "Ms.Frost," Jubilee yelled, "how could you do that?  Maybe there was areason he didn't want to say anything."
            Seanwas almost ready to talk when he saw a look on Emma face. "Emma, I takeit you are regretting what you did?"
            "Sean,he believes his nightmares are signals of the future.  He's afraidhis nightmare will come true, and since it is concealed in his mind verydeeply, I hope it doesn't.  It must be something he is greatly afraidof."
            Itwas then Sean noticed that Monet had snapped out, for she had let out agasp of surprise.  "That's why he was afraid."  She then lookeddown to the floor and saw Rich lying there.  "Did Ms. Frost scan hismind?"
            Seanspoke up, "Aye, she did that, lass.  Now Monet, can ye tell us whatRich said about his nightmare."  He hoped that Monet would say somethingabout this instead of lapsing into one of her autistic spells.
            Justas Monet was about to say something, Rich finally was gathering his witsabout him.  He abruptly shouted, "Monet, say one word and I will makeour little talk earlier common knowledge.”  He started to get up andlooked at Emma.  It was obvious that he was not happy with her. "Ms. Frost, if I wanted everyone to know about those dreams that I occasionallyhave, I would have said something.  Trust is an item I usually giveto people.  If you want to know about me, Ms. Frost, you must proveyourself worthy of my trust.  So far, only one person here has earnedthat, and I take it that most of you have figured out who that is." He turned and went to leave the room.  Sean probably could guess wherehe was going to go.  He decided that their was only one way to calmRich down.
            "Everybody,could you please leave.  I think the lad needs some time to be alone." He noticed that Rich stopped and turned.  Sean looked at Rich, therewas a look of knowledge on his face.  Sean had a feeling that Richknew what was going to happen.  Sean gave a look at everyone and theyall left the room.  Emma stayed behind, a little shook up from whatshe had learned.
            Richstill have a look of anger on his face and said, "If you want to talk,Mr. Cassidy, I will, but I would like an apology from Ms. Frost beforeI speak."  It was obvious that Rich was angry, and he was going tolive up to his heritage.  British people could be stubborn, and Richwas definitely going to let that be true.
            Emmahad just gotten her wits together and said, "I'm sorry, Richard. I had thought that it would be best to see if you did know about what hadcaused Monet's spell.  When you mentioned your nightmare, I thoughtI could understand better.  It appears you have locked all those fearsup. You only let those tales out when you want to tell them.  I couldn'teven get into them.  Could you tell us what you fear will happen?"
            Seancouldn't believe it, Emma Frost had been humbled.  He also had toagree with Emma.  This had shaken Rich up.  The last time Richwas shaken up was when he saw the image of Emplate.  "Lad, I knowyou told Monet, but why?  And could you tell us?  If you aregoing to be here as a student, you must trust us."
            Richsat down at the table and said, "I will say this, Monet and I both hadnightmares.  I do not want to say what it was about.  If youwant me to say anything, just ask her if it is alright first.  Justlet me calm down, I don't want anybody to worry more than they have to."
            Seanturned to Emma and said, "Emma, I going to talk to Monet for a moment. Can you keep an eye on Rich for a moment."  He noticed that Rich hadstarted to play his flute.  Emma had nodded and Sean went to talkto Monet.  He found her and said, "Monet, I need to ask you something."
            Monetturned from the window and said, "Is it about the nightmare Rich had?"
            "Thatit is, lass.  He doesn't want to tell us about the nightmare unlesshe has your consent."  Sean had hopped that she would respond. He watched as Monet nodded, but it was apparent that she was upset aboutit."
            Heturned to head back to the kitchen when Monet said, "I would like to bethere, with you, when he talks about his nightmare."
            "Alright." The two of them walked back to the kitchen.  Sean still heard theflute and when they entered the kitchen he said to Rich, "Ok, lad. Monetsaid it was alright to tell us."
            Seannoticed then that he had opened a Pandora's Box when Rich put down hisflute.  "Brace yourselves, because here comes the hurricane." He started retelling the two nightmares and Sean realized that Rich hada good reason to fear his nightmares, if they were predictions of thingsto come.

            Hehad just finished his tale of what the nightmares had been. Monet had shudderedafter hearing both nightmares, because of the fact that they might cometrue.  They all had a look of shell shock on their faces. "Do youall understand why I didn't want everyone to here this."
            SeanCassidy spoke up first.  "It took some bravery on your part to tellus about this.  I know that some people have difficulty telling theresecrets and fears.  I hope that that bravery rubs off on some of theother." He gave a look at Monet and she had a humbled look on her face.
            "Iguess no matter what, the truth will always be revealed.  It makesme wonder how overwhelmed we will be when all the truths that Monet holdsin her head, come rushing out."  Monet had a bit of a scared lookon her face when he said that.  Rich knew that he wasn't on her favoriteslist, but it was obvious that she tolerated him.  He figured it wouldbe best to change the subject.  "Mr. Cassidy, could you tell me what'son the schedule for me today?"
            Seanmust have noticed how uncomfortable Rich had been with formality. "Rich, it be alright with me if ye call me Sean.  Now, I plan to haveyou meet with all the students today, excluding the wee lads, and Emmaand myself.  I am going to give you the option of how you want togo through the line-up."
            Richfelt a little confused by this.  "I am a little confused by what yousaid.  Now what do you mean?"
            "Well,I was thinking that you could meet everybody again, by codename, such asmine is Banshee, and Emma's is White Queen, or by last name."
            "Whowould be first if it was by codename?"
            "Thatwould be Jono."
            "Consideringwhat happened last time, I think it would be best if we went be last name."
            "Alright,that means you'll be with Angelo Espinosa first."
            "Letme see, he's the one with the extendable skin.  I hope I don't getthe craving for a cigarette."  He thought about it for a while. Rich wondered if he made the wrong choice by making his choice that way. "I wonder if I made a mistake," he muttered under his breath.
            Seanleft the room.  He was again alone in the room with Emma Frost. Thiswas one person he would have a hard time trusting.  He kept an eyeon her at all times.  He didn't want her invading his mind again. As he was waiting for Sean to come back with Angelo, Emma Frost broke thesilence. "Richard, judging by the way you are watching me, I take it youdon't trust me."
            Hecouldn't hide the venom in his voice.  "Really, how would you likeit if I decided to take a trip into your mind and learn your deepest darkestsecrets, with you knowing it.  It like breaking into you house whileyou are there.  That's what it feels like.  I could compare itto something worse, but I think you get the picture."
            "I'msorry about what I did, but you have to understand that I was doing itto find out what happened to Monet.  You have to admit that I hada good reason."
            "IfI didn't want to say anything, you could have respected my wishes. Under different circumstances, your little intrusion can be excused, butnot then."
            "Alright. Just remember that if you are not in control of what you are doing, I willtry to stop you, using my abilities."
            Richthought about it.  It might be a good idea to have her around, incasesomeone like Emplate attacked and controlled him.  "I think I understandwhat you mean, but if you want information about me, just ask me." She nodded and Sean walked in with Angelo following him.
            "WellRich, I was thinking that you can use your abilities and train in the Biosphere." Rich nodded and decided it was time he learned about Angelo and his abilities.
 

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment