Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 7 - Bonding

This story is the first in a series of stories I wrote based of Generation X. In changes, a new character joins the school, which leads to positive changes for Penance

Chapter 7 - Bonding

Chapter 7 - Bonding
Attention:  Generation X and their villians, as wellas any other mutant mentioned in this story, is property of Marvel Comics. The character Richard Cale is named after family relations.  Any otherreference to anything copywrighted is a chance happening.
====================================================
Changes
Chapter 7 Bonding
            Angelowas wondering what Sean had in mind.  He figured that Emma might ofhad a hand in this as well, but with Rich's abilities, the Biosphere seemedthe perfect place.  He noticed that Jubilee had taken Penance outof the building.  When they entered the Biosphere, Sean said to thetwo of them.  "Angelo, Rich is going to have to learn more about everyone,especially if he doesn't want his ability going chaotic.  He decidedto go through everyone by their names."
            Angelofinally realized that it more so for Rich's sake.  Angelo nodded andthen turned to Rich.  "So, Rich, how would you like to begin. Talking,or using mutant ability."  Rich seemed to have an air of mystery abouthim.
            Richstepped forward and said, "We don't have much to talk about, unless I startto mimic you."  Rich looked at his body and Angelo noticed the samething that Rich did.  His skin appeared to be melting.  "Angelo,I hope your codename makes sense for this."
            Angeloalmost laughed and then remembered what he went through when his abilityfirst appeared.  He approached Rich and said, "It'll be Okay, amigo. Just concentrate.  It takes some time, but it will work.  Itstrains the mind, but it can be done."  He watched as Rich slowlypulled his skin tight and looked like himself again.  "Feeling better?"
            Youmust have a sense of humor to cope with this.  Is that why you aresuch a joker?"
            "Sometimes,I couldn't pull this stuff back home.  I suppose you probably nowknow about my life in the hood."
            "Ican only see glimpses of it.  It appears that it wasn't as traumaticas other things."
            "Oh,why do you say that?"
            "Youleaving the hood, it was the biggest sacrifice you ever made, and you livedto regret it."  Angelo realized that Rich must have latched onto hisbattle with the X-Cutioner.  He had to admit, the only thing he thoughtwas good in his life, he was regretting.
            "Yourright on that, there are sometimes that I wish I could go back home. But, I can't.  I remember how much my 'death' changed things backhome.  I was there, in disguise, and saw what it had done."
            Richgave him a knowing glance.  "You miss her, don't you?"  Angeloknew who Rich was talking about.  Angelo decided it was time to changethe topic.  He gave Rich a mean glance.  Rich just said, "OhKay, Let's talk about you're mutant ability.  So, what can you dowith this ability."
            "Watch." Angelo distended his skin and grabbed a nearby tree.  He used hisskin to pull himself up into the tree.  He turned around only to seethat Rich was only a foot away from him, doing the same thing.
            "Isee, a living bungee cord.  Oh joy.  Tell me.  It this allthat you can do?"
            "Asof right now, yes.  That's why I got the code name Skin.  I'mtrying to lean to do more, mainly so I can live a normal life."  Angelospent the rest of the time he was with Rich showing other aspects, andflaws of have 6 ft of extra skin.

            Paigelooked around the Biosphere.  She had seen Angelo, and Sean had toldher that it was her turn to meet with Rich.  She was a bit nervous,but she could handle it.  She still had in her mind that she was goingto be an X-Man just like her brother Sam.  Paige almost jumped infright when Rich stepped out in front of her.  "Calm down, Paige. I was waiting for Angelo's ability to leave me."
            "Ah'malright.  You just startled me.  I take it you are ready to learnabout my mutant ability."
            "Let'ssee.  Find out what it's like to rip my skin off my body. Now's agood time as ever."  He stepped forward and said, "Now, how do I controlthis, by the way, what is your code name?"
            "Husk. Now first, you got to thing you have to do is focus on what you want totake the form of.  Then, it is just ripping your skin off." Paigedecided to demonstrate by ripping her skin off and revealing a body ofpure diamond.
            Richjust looked at her and said, "It must play havoc with your wardrobe. Well, I must well try this ability."  He started ripping at his skinand revealed a body of obsidian.
            Paigethought that he must be stuck on the color black.  He choose a blackelement and she said, "Ah think that the color suits you, Rich."
            "AndI think that Penance might become jealous if she hears that. Besides, thereis already someone who cares for you, he just is having trouble acceptingthe feeling back from you.  Try to patch things up with him." Deep down, Paige knew that Rich was right, but she still could forgiveJono for what had happened at her home on Thanksgiving.  She was almostlost in that painful memory when Rich finally said, "Paige, how long doesthese changes usually last."
            "What,Ah'm sorry, Ah was lost in thought.  The phase changes usually lastabout as long as needed.  Watch."  She ripped of the diamondskin that she had and reverted back to a normal state.
            "Ladiesand gentleman, this is an interesting ability.  I take it that sometimesyou aren't really in descent wear for your ability to wear out."
            Paigeblushed and said, "That's true.  Ah sometimes have to rip my uniformoff.  Ah must have had the most uniforms of the whole team."
            "SinceI am a gentleman, I will not look in your direction at those times."
            Paigeseemed to notice many times before that Rich was a gentleman. "Don't worry,Ah usually cover up before that happens.  That has to one of the drawbacksof mah mutant ability.  Rich, I know I mentioned this earlier, butyou don't seem to be used to waking early."
            "That'strue Paige, and don't try to hide your accent, it's who you are. One should never be ashamed of who they are.  Now, why do you ask?"
            "Ahwas wondering if you would like to jog with me.  It's one of the fewtimes Ah can relax."
            "Alright,I see you at 6AM or 6:30?"
            "6:30. I do a workout every morning."  She decided to leave after that. She figured that Rich knew enough about her, than she could ever tell him. She knew that the process of husking was time consuming, but Rich's ownability had to pull him out of it also.  She decided she leave early,so Jubilee wouldn't see the sight.  Jubilee still thought it was adegusting ability.

            Jubileehad entered the biosphere quietly.  She had learned a few things inher days with Wolvie and the X-Men.  She had talked briefly to Paigebefore she enter.  Paige told her how Rich had surprised her. Jubilee was determined to surprise Rich.  She knew that it might notbe the best way for Rich to experience her abilities, but it might prepareRich for something that he will encounter.  She noticed Rich waitingby a small stream that was in the biosphere.  As she approached him,she noticed that he put his hand to his head.  He seemed to be ina bit of pain.  She realized he mistake when she screamed.  Hejumped in fright and she saw a dozen pyrotechnic plasmoids knock her down. She was thankful that they were low level.  She knew that she couldn'tbe hurt by her abilities, but Rich used them against her.
            Helooked in shock.  "I'm sorry.  I wasn't in control.  Itis your own gut instinct, ya know."
            "Iknow.  The last time I had someone scare me like that was .."
            Hecompleted the sentence for her.  "when Sabertooth broke free in themansion.  Jubilee, that scared you a lot and was traumatic for you."
            Jubileeknew that he was right.  She knew that he knew the reason by now andsaid, "It was the first time Wolvie wasn't there for me.  I honestlythought that I was going to die."  She almost broke into tears. She then noticed that Rich had walked over to her and sat down.
            "Ihope I never run into Sabertooth, if that is any consolation to you. And, I am sorry for plasma attack.  Jubilee, what was it like, beingan X-Man?"
            Jubileewas surprised by what Rich said.  "You want to here about when I waswith the X-Men!  Nobody wants to here those stories.  Why doyou want to here them?"
            Helooked at her and said, "Jubilee, don't take any of this as an offense,Okay.  What you lack in maturity, you make up for in experience andwisdom."
            Shewas almost glowing when she heard that.  "Wow, do you always say stufflike that or is it just who you are?"
            Heturned his head, acting as he was looking for someone else and said, "Alright,who told you I like to startle people.  I can't believe someone starteda rumor like that about me."
            Shestarted to laugh and he smiled.  "Ok, I take it you like to startlepeople."
            "Ofcourse I do, I like to start that rumor.  By the way, Jubilee, isthat your codename?"
            "Yea. It was my nickname in school, and it stuck when I joined the X-Men alongtime ago.  It doesn't truly relate to my abilities, as you have figuredout is to shoot pyrotechnic plasmoids.  I used to entertain kids ina mall back in So Cal with them."
            "So,how did you get hooked up with the X-Men."
            "Longstory, which I can tell you later.  Anything you want to know aboutby ability, a bit more maybe."
            "Howdangerous is your ability, Jubes?"
            Theway he said it was almost like how some of the X-Men had said it. She always thought of the X-Men as a family for her, and then GenerationX, and now Rich seemed to becoming the new member of the family. She thoughtabout his question, though, because it was odd.  "Why do want to know,Rich?"
            "Jubilee,when you snuck up on me, your own personality took became merged with mine. I had a brief headache.  The reactions, the actions, they are allyou, including that you fear your ability.  When your mad, you can'tcontrol the sparks.  I have a nasty temper, if I let it loose. I have controlled it for a long time.  The last time I let it losewas, well I forget.  It wasn't a pretty sight."
            "Youmean when you chew out Emma?"
            "No,that was just a fraction of the rage that I hold bottled up." Jubilee'seyes went wide at that.  Could Rich hold so much anger in him thatshe wondered if he was more dangerous than all of villains that Gen X andthe X-Men faced.
            Shedecided to answer his question.  "Rich, I know that when I'm fuming,I don't have much control.  I once leveled a house with my fireworks."
            "Remindme to stay away from you when I'm mad," he said with a smile.
            Jubileedecided to be a little bit devilish.  She looked at him. "Rich."
            "Yes."
            "Stayaway from me when you're mad."
            "Youhave a little devilish streak in you, don't you."  He started to laughand then said, "How about telling me one story about you and the X-Men."
            Heseemed destine to here her tell about her life with the X-Men. She decidedto tell him about the time she save Wolvie's life.

            Mondoentered the Biosphere and walked in Rich's direction.  Rich stillhad a bit of Jubilee's power and was shooting sparks from his fingers.Mondo thought that Rich's ability was similar to that of Everett's andhis combined for some reason.  He slowly approached Rich and said,"Olla, Rich, how are you."
            Richlooked at Mondo and said, "Hello Mondo.  I'm just waiting for Jubilee'spower to leave so I can learn about your ability.  Tell me Mondo,what exactly is your ability, and your codename."
            Mondojust smiled.  He looked at Rich and said, "My name is my codename. That is how life works.  Life just does what it does."
            Richlooked at him and said, "You have an interesting look on life, Mondo. But, what is your ability."
            "Well,I have been called an omnimorph.  Watch."  Mondo placed his handson the ground and looked at Rich.  Rich had a look on his face thatcould only be amazement.  Mondo was starting to absorb the groundand was transforming into it.  Rich finally understood what was goingon.  Rich then stepped towards him did the same.
            "Lookssimple.  Let me try."  Rich started to do the same and Mondowas simply amazed.  Rich had copied his ability and was using it. Mondo watched as he turned into the same ground that he had absorbed. "Interestingability, Mondo, what can you do with it?"
            "Itis simple my friend, come along."  Mondo shifted into the ground andRich followed.  For about ten minutes, Rich and himself shifted allover the biosphere.  Eventually Rich started to retake a human form. Mondo slowly reformed and said to Rich, "Is something wrong, my friend."
            Richlooked a little flushed and said, "Could you help me get to someplace withwater, I need to take some medication."
            Mondostarted to worry.  "Rich, are you Ok?  Are you feeling well?"
            "It'snothing to worry about Mondo.  I take medication for my epilepsy. It's just that I feeling a little uneasy as well."  Mondo helped Richout of the Biosphere and back to the main building.  They enteredthe kitchen only to run into Sean and the three boys, Artie, Leech andFranklin. Sean was fixing them a little lunch.  Sean must have feltlike a father to the kids.
            Seanlooked at Rich and said, "Is something wrong?"
            "Nothinga little medication won't take care of, and a little lunch?"  Mondoalmost was started question what Rich said earlier, at least until Richsaid, "The medication for my epilepsy requires food to be in my stomach." Rich managed to get some food together and took his medication. Mondo realizedthat Rich seemed to be dependant on it.
            Mondo'sown concern seemed to be shared by Sean.  "Rich, isn't there anotherway to take care of your epilepsy?"
            Richlooked at Sean and said, "Not without having my brain hacked up. I feel that the medication is the less dangerous option.  I'll beon it for life, but it is better than living with half a mind."  Mondonow thought he had a better understand why  Rich had such a view onlife.
 

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment