Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 9 - Calm Before The Storm

This story is the first in a series of stories I wrote based of Generation X. In changes, a new character joins the school, which leads to positive changes for Penance

Chapter 9 - Calm Before The Storm

Chapter 9 - Calm Before The Storm
Attention:  Generation X and their villians, as wellas any other mutant mentioned in this story, is property of Marvel Comics. The character Richard Cale is named after family relations.  Any otherreference to anything copywrighted is a chance happening.
====================================================
Changes
Chapter 9 Calm Before the Storm
            Whenthe day was starting to end, Rich finally left the Biosphere. He felt alittle washed out, with all the changing and abilities.  Rich walkedback into the main building of the school and almost knocked over EmmaFrost.  He looked up at her and thought about her for a moment. She supposedly owned this school ground, but it was run in the dream thatCharles Xavier had, before his rage created Onslaught.  He wonderedif she was similar to Xavier, and why she ran the school.  He senseda bit of unrest in her, about some students of hers.  Is that whyshe was so protective about Generation X?
            "So,Richard, how has your first day here?"  she asked in a calm voice. He looked at her suspiciously.  He didn't really trust her, but shegave the effort to try to get on his good side.
            "Ithas been going well, Ms. Frost.  I take it there is a reason you stoppedme."
            "Yes,Richard, there is.  I want to talk to you about condition."
            "Itake it your not referring to my mutant ability, but to the medical condition."
            "Indeed. Richard, is there any chance that you might have a seizure at a criticaltime."
            Richcould see what was coming.  It was her concern for the kids. He lookedat her and said, "Ms. Frost, I have been on medication for epilepsy sinceI was in my early childhood.  You don't have to worry about it. I haven't had a seizure since my childhood and my sleep."
            "Ijust hope you don't put us all in jeopardy in case someone attacks us. I honestly don't need you to go into a seizure at the worse time." There was a concern in her voice that Rich could only associate with oneother thought.  He easily placed it because he had seen it in oneof his family.
            "Youdon't want to lose us like you lost the others, do you Emma?" It was thefirst time he saw Emma Frost as a mother type figure instead of someoneelse entirely different.  She only turned and didn't face him. It was obvious that she must have forgotten his ability.  She lookedupset when he finally decided to say, "I know it's not in my power to promisethis, but I have a good feeling that what happened to them, won't happento us, no matter what is thrown at us."
            Emmaonly looked at him.  It was obvious that he must have reached her,in some way.  She then spoke, "That was the first time you calledme Emma.  Over the time you have been here, you have been cold andformal with me.  For the first time, you have reached a kindness withme.  Richard, you have been a bit of a blessing to the school. I think that the student, as well as myself and Sean, will benefit fromyou being here."
            Rich,for the first time while here at the school, felt comfortable around EmmaFrost.  She went back into her office and closed the door.  Hethen continued to the foyer.  He heard everybody's voices there. He walked into a very nasty argument.
            "Isay that we go eat at McDonald's."  There was no mistaking the hypervoice of Jubilee.  She was obviously arguing with Monet.
            Richobserved the situation and thought back to his years in college. He saw this at his college before the Onslaught threat.  That wasobviously like his years in college, except everybody was younger. He walked in the room and went to say something when he saw in his peripheralvision that Sean was standing at the side of the door.  Rich let asmall grin cross his face.  Paige looked in his direction and saidto the others, "Listen, there's Rich.  Let's ask him.  He mightwant to eat out as well."
            Everybodyturned and started yelling out suggestions.  Monet mentioned the OliveGarden.  Angelo and Everett mentioned Taco Bell.  Mondo, obviously,didn't care where they went.  Franklin and Jubilee both felt likeMcDonald's.  Artie and Leech weren't around, but then, they stuckout like sore thumbs, due to skin color.  Penance would be safesthere at the school. Chamber didn't eat.  Paige was suggesting Wendy's. He was almost sick of hearing everybody yelling out suggestions. He said calmly, "Enough, I made a choice."  It was apparent that noone listened to him.  He decided to give everybody a shock. He then yelled, "I said, enough."  Jubilee had a look of shock because she realized what was happening.  She jumped down and everygot knocked down by a sonic scream.
            Seanlooked at him and said, "That wasn't need, lad.  I didnae even knowye had my abilities.  I just wished ye didnae do that."
            Richturned to Sean, "Sorry 'bout that, sir.  I just had to stop them,besides they didn't seem to listen.  Are you driving, Sean?"
            "Yes,but the kids can't decided where to go.  They want you to make thedecision."
            "WellI have.  I wouldn't mind a meal at McDonald's."
            Jubileejumped up and yelled, "Yes.  McDonald's.  I can't wait." Sheran out the door and towards Sean's jeep.  Everybody started to follow,complaining about the choice and cautious about making Rich upset. Rich started heading toward the door.
            Paige,who was the last person to exit waited for him.  She looked at himand said, "Ah take it you have been in that situation."
            Helooked at her.  "Paige, I was a college student before coming here. That happened a lot."  Rich then ran out the door for the jeep. He grabbed a seat right near Everett and in back of Monet.  He thenrelaxed as Sean started the jeep up and drove for McDonalds.

            D.O.A.stood near the limo he usually drove.  The master had been a bit upsetabout missing that mutant at the airport.  What had disturbed themaster most was that the mutant couldn't be seen.  He had seen Bansheeleaving with a young man following him.  The master spent most ofthe hours during the drive back to the lighthouse.  The master hadhis Hellion's to feed him for a time, but he missed his favorite meal ticket. The fact that the master missed his favorite meal ticket had him thinkthat eventually that he would have to drive him to the Xavier school. Any mutant he caught for the master understood what his name was.
            Dheard a familiar voice from a month back.  He turned in the directionof the McDonald's that was near him.  He saw the mutants that themaster went after.  He notice Monet, the master's sister.  Hethen saw Synch, the one that the master sent away.  He watched aseach mutant got out of the car.  He let a very nasty thought crosshis mind when Jubilee left the car.  The master had a score to settlewith her.  He then saw the young man.  The young man must bethe mutant that the master mentioned.  How could that be?  Themaster would have attacked in an instant.  He said that the mutantseemed to past by him.  He watched as the group entered the McDonald's.He would drive back to the lighthouse and tell the master.
            D.O.A.started the limo and drove back to the lighthouse.  The lighthousewas not far from where the McDonald's was, and the master like the privacyand decor of the lighthouse.  He arrived at the lighthouse, he ranfor the top floor of the lighthouse, passing the cell that use to holdthe master's favorite meal.  He entered the room at the top and exclaimed"Sir, I have good news for you."
            Hismaster turned and stared at him with the yellowish-red eyes. Echoing throughthe respirator he wore, he said, "This had better be important, D. I am still very upset about the mutant from yesterday.  I think heis at the school, but I can't be sure what type a mutant he is.  Icouldn't see an aura around him!"
            Dlet his smile get wider that it already was.  "Well, he must be astudent where your sister is, for I saw him with the mutants as they wentto the local McDonald's.  Should I round the Hellions together foran attack on the McDonald's."
            Hewatched the master and he finally said, "D.  Get the Hellions together,we will attack the school in the morning.  But, first I will checkthings out.  I need to find out about that mutant.  Then I shallcapture and feast on all, and eliminate my sister."  D. smiled ashe left the room.  The master was finally in a better mood.
**********************************

            Whenthey arrived back at the school, Jubilee watched as Rich ran for the Biosphere. She noticed that everyone was also watching.  Sean only said, "I'mbeginning to think that Rich is the best thing that has happened to Penance."
            Jubileethought for a moment and said, "Sean, you mean to say that Rich is goingto see Penny?  Those two must have really hit it off."  She thenthought that with Rich's ability, he was the only one who could communicatewith her, and from the roses yesterday, maybe there was a relationshipstarting between the two.  She couldn't help but giggle when she thoughtof how they first met.
            Paigeoverheard her giggling and said, "What so funny about that, Jubilee. Penance finally has someone she trusts enough to relax, and Rich seemsto trust her and is in love."
            "I'mthinking of how those two met.  Remember, back in the assembly hall."
            Monetthen started to giggle.  She thought then said, "I see what you mean,Jubilee.  It is almost ironic.  He is more afraid to move towardsJono, and if you ask me, Jono's life is less traumatic then Penance's lifehas been."
            "Andwhen she first approached him, that must have scared him more than it didher.  But he sees her as an object of beauty.  I wonder whatthe future holds for those two."
            Everettsaid, "I guess only time will answer that question.  Hey, Jubilee,do you want to go for a walk."
            Jubileedidn't take a moment to think about it.  She knew her answer rightaway.  She looked him straight in the eyes and said, "Alright." And with that, she went with Everett as the happiest girl in the world.

            Penancewatched with joy when Rich finally entered the Biosphere. She jumped downfrom the tree she was in and he approached her.  As he morphed intoher form, she ran and embraced him.  {I so happy to see you, Rich.}
            Hesmiled at her and said, {I know, Yvette, but right now I must tell yousomething.  I think I know how we can get you to speak out loud. Canyou relax a little bit, I think that also will allow your skin to becomesofter.}
            Shethought about it for a moment.  In most of her life, she had beenvery tense and never relaxed much.  She felt she could do it. She relaxed and felt her body slowly soften.  It was difficult becauseof the restrains that He put on her. They were put on when her skin wasdiamond sharp, and the restraints were pulled tight around it.  Shefinally relaxed to a pain where there was little pain from the tight restraints. {Alright, now what should I do.}
            Richappeared to do the same thing and finally he spoke aloud.  "You shouldbe able to talk aloud now, Yvette.  Remember most of what I taughtyou mentally."
            Penancethought about what he said, she understood it better now. She then saidslowly, "I-I-I th-th-think s-s-so."  She was surprised and how quiether voice was.  She then looked at Rich as he smiled.
            "Youhave a lovely voice, Yvette.  It matches your psionic voice and yourbeauty.  We should find a better outfit for you though.  Yourcurrent outfit just doesn't seem right."
            Penancecould feel herself blushing, but she didn't know if Rich could tell. She wondered what he thought she looked best in and decided to ask. "R-r-rich,  wh-wh-what d-d-do y-y-you th-think I-I w-would l-lookg-good i-in?"
            Helooked at her and she then noticed he was gazing into her eyes. "I thinkthat you would look lovely in a blue dress, blue to match your eyes." She then smiled and kissed him.  She was truly in love with him. Afterthey finished kissing, Rich then said, "I think it might be best if youlearn to talk better.  I think it might be a surprise to everyoneif they hear you speaking out loud."
            "I-Ith-think y-you a-are r-right, R-Rich."  She smiled and they sat downas Rich continued her lessons in English.  She enjoyed how Rich pronouncedhis words, and she tried to copy that down to the way he even pronouncedsome of the simple words.  After a couple of hours, Rich started toget up.  "Is that going to be all for tonight?"
            "Yes. I going to start to get into a new daily routine.  Exercise in themorning.  I have to be in shape if I want to stay ahead of Emplate.And your English and speaking has improved remarkably from yesterday. I'll see you tomorrow."  He left the biosphere and she decided tofind a nice spot to curl up and sleep.  She felt a lot more comfortablewith Rich around.  She felt as if she didn't have anything to fearat all.
 

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment