Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - The Reunion

Just something I thought of writing. It is mostly inspired by adventure novels and games including Dungeons and Dragons. Tell me what you think about it. This actually looks a lot better the way I formatted it on works word. If you want that copy jus

Chapter 1 - The Reunion

Chapter 1 - The Reunion
Chapter 1
The Reunion

It was a time of adventurers. An era of mythical creatures and beings with unbelievable amount of power available at their command. The world was at peace with no gain to either side on the scale of good and evil.
Nevaal traveled the northern forest of Topowa on his way to the Ryuken dojo in the high mountains. He was a man of average frame, still young at the age of nineteen. He was an adventurer by trade, traveling from town to town, working odd jobs here and there in order to support his travels. Nevaal had dark tan skin that accompanied his thick black hair that rustled with the wind. His eyes were deep, so dark that they were almost pitch black.
After venturing into the wilderness so many times, he had learned to keep the necessary equipment that he needed on his travels. Nevaal wore a white shirt, brown traveling pants and black, leather travel boots. He also wore leather bracers on his forearms and a leather vest. Above all this he donned a hooded lycan cloak which he had acquired as payment on one of his travels. This cloak reached down, almost to the ground, concealing most of Nevaal’s weapons.
What Nevaal lacked in armor he made up for with weaponry. He kept a long sword on either side of his hips and was proficient in wielding two weapons at a time. In each boot he hid a small knife. On the back of his belt he kept a hunter’s knife next to his coin bag. The only thing on top of his lycan cloak was his oak bow and a quiver of arrows.
Walking up the stone pathway leading to the temple entrance, he saw his childhood friend McGyle walking out of its doors. He had light brown hair and a paler complexion compared to that of his comrade. McGyle was taller than Nevaal, more muscular as well giving him the physique of a bruiser. He wore the traditional outfit of the Ryuken temple. White cotton pants, bands around the wrists, sandals and a white headband to keep the hair out of his eyes. His one little addition was a blue vest which he refused to get rid of.
He had been studying at the Ryuken temple for several years now, learning the fighting style of the warrior monks there.
“Hoy!” Nevaal shouted out, “How have you been old friend? Have they been treating you well?” He grasped McGyle’s wrist in a strong handshake.
“Well enough Nevaal… well enough.” he laughed.
The two have had a history together since they were young and living in the same village. As children, they played together, causing mischief everywhere. They watched as the village warriors trained every day and emulated their every move. As they grew older, they trained together and transformed their bodies into weapons.
At the age of thirteen, McGyle was sent to the Ryuken temple to study the methods of the fighting monks. Nevaal was not given the privilege of training with him due to his poor heritage. He instead, remained at the village until the age of eighteen, when he began traveling as an adventurer. Every new moon, he returned home to his village to give the money that he had earned to his family in order to pay for medicines and other supplies.
This time, when he visited the village, Nevaal was told that McGyle was to return. Being the only true traveler in the small community, he was given the chance to venture to the Ryuken temple and retrieve his friend.
“How has everybody in the village been since I’ve left?” McGyle asked.
“Not bad actually.” Nevaal responded as he walked down the path leading his friend back home. “Everything has been… the same as it has always been. We’re losing warriors though. The younger generations don’t see a point in training when we have never battled with anyone before.”
“I see. Well, it is true. Nobody out there wants to fight with a bunch of peasants anyway. There is no point for raiders, we have nothing of value, military factions won’t come because we are not a strategic point of attack to any major towns, and the government never bother us because they don’t really give a damn.”
Nevaal sighed, “Yeah, that’s true. Harsh, but true.”
“I’ve heard that you’ve become quite the adventurer.” McGyle mentioned, quickly changing the subject. “How have your travels been?”
“Not that bad actually. I usually work odd jobs, doing whatever is needed.”
“You mean you’re a mercenary. A sword for hire.”
He looked at his friend for a moment then turned away walking a bit faster, the tails of his cloak trailing behind him. “You could say that.” He muttered.
McGyle stopped in his tracks, “Have you killed anyone?”
Nevaal paused for a moment, then continued walking. “Come on, if we keep moving south we’ll be able to reach the village by nightfall.”

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment