Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - Chapter 01

An AU fic that places Nami and her adoptive family in a new location.

Chapter 1 - Chapter 01

Chapter 1 - Chapter 01


ONE PIECE:

New Beginnings

----

Nami

Chapter 01



Belle Mere took one last drag from her cigarette, snuffed it on a nearby window sill, and went back to patrolling the halls of Marine Base 55.



“Why did I ever agree to rejoin the Marines?” she mused to herself. True, she was now getting triple standard wages, what with the base being located on the Grand Line, and she was fortunate the Major at the recruiting office helped her find a base that allowed families.



Belle Mere chuckled a bit as she heard the sounds of children's shrieks and laughter coming faintly from outside. No doubt Nojiko, Nami, and the rest of the Marine Base 55 children were out playing in the first rainfall in two months. A desert country wouldn't have been Belle Mere's first choice, but her choices were limited if she wanted to bring her daughters with her.



As Belle Mere continued her rounds, she heard the sound of at least two men in conversation coming near. A shudder ran through her body as she recognized the voice of her commanding officer. No doubt he was buttering up some local dignitary for a huge donation, most of which would go in his own pockets. Belle Mere silently prayed for a closet or something to duck into so she wouldn't have to deal with the jerk. No such luck.



Right around the corner came, in Belle Mere's opinion, one of the worst Base Captains in the history of the Marines. Instead of the standard uniform, Captain Slique wore a leisure suit with the Marine's symbol on the back, cuffs, and pant legs. As if that wasn't tacky enough, Slique also wore a large number of rings on his fingers and gold chains around his neck. He also probably used about a gallon of gel when slicking back his dark purple hair. The first time Belle Mere met Slique, she had to bite her lower lip to keep from laughing at his sunglasses with the Marine's symbol on each lens.



“Ah, Lieutenant Belle Mere, what perfect timing. I want to introduce you to a very important person.” Captain Slique exclaimed as he draped his left arm on Belle Mere's shoulders. Though he wasn't actually touching anything, his hand was just a little too close to Belle Mere's chest. With his right arm, he pointed towards two men who, just as Belle Mere guessed, looked like local nobles.



“Lieutenant Belle Mere, this is his Royal Highness King Nefertari Cobra of Alabasta. He played a great part in establishing this base.” Cobra put a hand behind his head and chuckled a bit.



“Now really Captain, I only sold you the land on Alubarna's riverbank for you to build the base on. It's the people who actually built the base who deserve the credit.” Slique let out that annoying, almost feminine, laugh of his.



“Uhuhuhuh, how like you, Your Majesty, to stick up for the little people. And speaking of little people…” Slique motioned his right hand back to Belle Mere. “This, Your Majesty, is one of my favorite subordinates. Allow me introduce the lovely Lieutenant Belle Mere.”



The only thing keeping Belle Mere from introducing Slique to all kinds of pain was that she was in the presence of royalty. In fact, Belle Mere knew quite a bit about King Cobra and she had a lot of respect for him. It was refreshing, in this day and age, to know there was a ruler who considered himself his people's servant instead of the other way around.



Cobra was about to introduce Igaram in turn when a loud bell started sounding from outside. Just then, Cadet Tashigi rushed in and made a beeline for Belle Mere. Slique was more than annoyed.



“CADET TASHIGI! What is the meaning of this uncalled for interruption?” Tashigi made a clumsy salute then stammered out an explanation.



“Well, err, Captain, I just thought that the Lieutenant here, I'm really sorry about the interruption, by the way, might want to know that Nami's in trouble.” Belle Mere quickly slipped out of Slique's grasp.



“What sort of trouble?”



“Well, I really don't know the details, but she's in a fight with some local kid just outside the base.” Belle Mere sighed and put a hand over her face.



“Aw geez, I just bought her that dress a week ago. OK Tashigi, take me there.” As Tashigi led Belle Mere outside, Slique made a desperate attempt to save face.



“Uhuhuhuh, I apologize for that disruption. A well meaning Admiral decided to make this a base where officers could bring their families with them. I'm not one to speak ill of higher ranking officers, but I don't think he took into consideration what a bother children can be sometimes.” Cobra let out a hearty laugh.



“Don't worry Captain; I have a little girl of my own. I know exactly how the Lieutenant must feel.”



“Excuse me sire,” said Igaram “But wasn't Princess Vivi pla- pla- *Ahem* ~Ma, Ma, Mwa~ playing with some of her friends just outside the base?”



“Ah yes, you're right Igaram. Why do you…” Cobra and Igaram looked at each other, and suddenly took off after Belle Mere and Tashigi. Slique, left all alone, made a fist and gritted his teeth.



“Arrrrrgh! That brat Nami is going to get it this time!”



“Aw, come on Leader. Let them fight.”



Belle Mere and Tashigi arrived just as Nojiko and some boy were pulling Nami and her opponent away from each other. Before saying anything, Belle Mere took a moment to assess the situation. Just as she feared, Nami's new dress was a mess. But that was probably more from rolling around in the damp ground than anything else. Nami would still have to be punished a bit, but overall things weren't too bad in that department.



As for Nami herself, she had bruises all over, her nose was bleeding a little, and there were a few light scratches here and there. Nothing she hasn't gotten before. The other girl, Belle Mere could see it was a girl now, was pretty much the same as Nami except she had a black eye instead of a bloody nose. The girls were just now starting to calm down, but Belle Mere didn't think Nami was ready to talk just yet. So she turned to Nojiko.



“Thanks for looking out for Nami, Nojiko. You can hand her over to me now.” Nojiko let go of Nami just long enough for Belle Mere to take her in a gentle, but firm, grip. “Now, what happened here Nojiko?”



“Well, we Marine base kids and these Alabasta kids were throwing mud balls at each other. It was all fun until Nami accidentally threw a mud ball that hit that other girl in the eye. Nami was going to apologize, honest, but then that other girl started yelling at Nami right in her face. Nami, being Nami, yelled right back, and before I knew it they started fighting.”



“Kohza is that what happened between Vivi and… Nami, wasn't it, Lieutenant?” Tashigi jumped a bit when she saw King Cobra himself had arrived. Belle Mere simply nodded to let Cobra know he had gotten her daughter's name right. As Igaram took hold of Vivi, the boy who helped Nojiko break up the fight turned to Cobra.



“That Marine Base girl pretty much summed up what happened, Your Majesty.”



“So, Nami, you cause trouble for your betters even when they're your own age.” Belle Mere took a second to pinch the bridge of her nose. Slique getting involved was the last thing any of them needed right now. Slique walked up to Vivi and kneeled in front of her as best he could without actually getting his pants in the mud.



“Princess Nefertari Vivi, I deeply apologize for what that awful Nami did to you. I assure you she won't get away with it.” Slique got up and turned to face Belle Mere. “Lieutenant Belle Mere! I hereby order you to finally discipline that beastly little bully…” Here Slique was cut off by several of the children.



“HEY! Nami's no bully!”



“Yeah, it was a fair fight!”



“She did throw the first punch, but only after Sub-Leader Vivi started pulling on her cheek!”



“THAT'S ENOUGH FROM YOU BRATS!” Slique bellowed at the children. Clearing his throat, Slique turned backed to Belle Mere. “As I saying, I order you to take Nami over your knee, right here in front of everyone, and give her ten hard smacks on the bottom.”



Belle Mere felt Nami tense up. No way, no way was she going to embarrass Nami like that. She'd take the punishment for disobeying an order, but she wasn't going to do it.



“Um, sir…” Slique turned to a shaking Tashigi.



“What is it NOW Cadet Tashigi?”



“Well, I can't remember anything from the protocol manual, but I'm fairly certain you can't give an order like that.”



“She's right,” Slique's heart nearly skipped a beat when he heard Cobra speak. “This is a parenting matter, not a Marine matter. We can deal with this without your help, Captain.” Slique silently hissed, then turned on Tashigi.



“Cadet Tashigi, would I be right in assuming you had your little brother ring the alarm bell?”



“Um… Yes sir.”



“Then you've just forfeited two days' wages and earned yourself a week of toilet duty. A children's fight, even if royalty is involved, is NOT worth sounding the alarm over.” With that, Slique stalked off to his office to brood.



“Now then,” Cobra stroked his beard for a bit, and then snapped his fingers. “I've got it. Since it was just a children's fight, and neither of them got hurt too badly, let's just have them apologize to each other and shake hands.”



“Heh, that sounds just fine to me Your Majesty.” Belle Mere released Nami and gave her a light shove towards Vivi. “You go first Nami. You were going to apologize to her in the first place anyway, right?” Nami let a sigh. She didn't feel like apologizing to that jerk anymore. But it was a much better alternative to Slimy Slique's idea.



“OK. Vivi, I'm sorry I ACCIDENTLY hit you in the eye with a mud ball.” Cobra turned to Vivi.



“Vivi, don't you have something to say in turn?” Vivi took a few deep breaths. Captain what's-his-name was being completely unfair. Nami was a clod and a dirty fighter, but she was fighting too. Her father, though still smiling, was giving her “The Look”. She might as well get it over with.



“Nami, I'm sorry I overreacted a LITTLE.” As the two girls shook hands, Cobra nodded with approval. Belle Mere wasn't so sure. From the way Nami and Vivi were grunting and glaring from behind fake smiles, she guessed they were letting each other know this was far from over.



“And now it's time for all good children to be heading home.” The children let out a collective “Awwww.”, but followed Cobra's suggestion without any further protest. Belle Mere made sure no one was looking, and then motioned for her daughters to follow her.



“Come on girls, we'll stop at Doc's and have him look at Nami's nose and the lump on her head.”



“Huh? What lump on my- OW! What did you do that for?”



“That's punishment for getting rough in a new dress.” Belle Mere answered with her trademark grin.



DISCLAIMER: “One Piece” and all related characters are the intellectual property of Eiichiro Oda, Toei Animation, and Viz Comics. Only Captain “Slimy” Slique belongs to me.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment