Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - Lesson 1 - Obligitory. Hantou Attends a Concert

The continued adventures of the Happy Lesson gang. This time, it centers mostly around Hazuki and her new boyfriend.

Chapter 1 - Lesson 1 - Obligitory. Hantou Attends a Concert

Chapter 1 - Lesson 1 - Obligitory. Hantou Attends a Concert
Happy Lesson - Extra Credit
By The S

Lesson 1 - Obligitory. Hantou Attends a Concert

Hantou Minamoto thrust open the windows and breathed in the cool night air. It had simply gotten too hot and stuffy in his small New York apartment. Most nights when it got like this, he welcomed the outside wind to come into his humble abode. Living on the top floor of seven-story building, he need not fear someone entering his window uninvited.

Hantou had lived in Japan for sixteen years before moving out on his own to America, where he sought to become a pop star. He had achieved his dream, but after a year or so, he fell out of the public eye. Now twenty-two, he worked as a sensei in a shotokan karate dojo. It was not very good pay, but it kept a roof over his head. All he could afford was a three room apartment, but it was good enough for him. Aside from his bathroom and kitchen, all he had was his living room/bedroom/dining room/weight room/whatever room. Of course, this is where he spent most of his time.

As a martial arts teacher, he had to keep himself in peak physical condition. Combating this necessity was his love of food. Thus, his workouts needed to be strict and rigid. He needn't really worry, as he was able to bench press 350 pounds and his muscles were pulled taut all around his body, but he always feared his insatiable appetite would get him in physical trouble someday. Other than singing and shotokan, he didn't really have any other skills, so he didn't want to end up losing his job.

Hantou climbed back into bed and fell asleep nearly instantly. He slept a dreamless sleep, and was then awakened by the shrill sound of his phone ringing. Hantou muttered to himself as he slowly got out of bed; it had rang eight times before he got over to the phone and answered it.
"Hello, this is E-P-O-C-H Radio. If you can answer this question, you win two free tickets to tonight's Hazuki Yazakura concert. Are you ready?"

Hantou, irritated at having been woke up an hour early, was obviously not in the mood for such trivial things. And besides that, he knew nothing about popular music. Being a has-been pop star had turned Hantou cold toward the music world. He still sang to himself while showering or working out, but he never paid any attention to the popular singers of today. He had come to America with hopes that his brand of Japanese pop music would be a different change of pace for the Americans, and that they would find him sensational. Instead, he was only popular for a short amount of time before his CD's ended up on the discount rack. Ever since then, he had turned a deaf ear to all music outside his own. He never listened to the radio, he went out of his way to shop at stores that didn't play music... he even muted the TV when a commercial jingle came on. You might think it sounds a bit obsessive, and it is. But given his big disappointment, it just might be justifiable.

So, just to humor the guy, he decided to just take a guess. "All right, I'll give it a shot. What's the question?"

"Okay. What was the name of the Japanese pop star who sang "Genki Genki Love"?"

This was just too easy. Too perfect. This guy was asking him a question about... himself. There was no way that he could have ever thought that this would happen. Today would have to be his lucky day.

"Hantou Minamoto."

"Congratulations, you've won the prize! Now, all you have to do is come down to the station and pick them up. What's your name?"

"Hantou Minamoto."

"Right, you've already told me the answer. Now what is your name?"

"Hantou Minamoto. My name is Hantou Minamoto."

"Uhhhh... yeah. Anyway, come down to the studio later today, and you can pick up your tickets. Bye now!"

Hantou hung up the phone. He was so excited about having an easy question, he lost sight of more important matters. For one, he didn't even know who this Hazuki Yazakura was. Second, he didn't know anyone who would want to go with him. He had few friends since his singing career went downhill, and those friends he did have, he didn't know what kind of music they liked. He assumed since Hazuki was a Japanese name, that she sang J-Pop or J-Rock. Everyone he knew liked heavy metal or rap.

About noon, he took a taxi down to the radio studio and got his tickets. It wasn't easy; even after showing them his ID, they didn't believe he was actually Hantou Minamoto. It took about an hour to convince them. After he finally left the studio with his tickets, he sold the extra one to the first person he saw for ten dollars. The lady that he sold them to acted like she had won the lottery. Hantou shrugged it off and decided that although he had no idea who this singer was, he would go to the concert anyway. It had been years since he had actually heard a song, and he though that perhaps it was about time he changed that. Maybe winning the contest was an omen.


The concert was six o' clock that night, and Hantou's seat was reserved for front and center, so he didn't even leave the apartment until five-thirty. He got there at five-fifty, and the concert hall was completely packed. In fact, the only seat that was empty was his. He took his seat and awaited the concert to start. The concert began promptly at six, and Hantou was enchanted from the very beginning. Never had he seen such a beautiful woman as Hazuki Yazakura. Her long brown hair coyly covered her right eye, her ample curves seemed to call out to him, and her outfit screamed style. Even her voice was exquisite enough to put him in a trance.

He knew what was happening.

He had fallen in love.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment