Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 35 - Continue

Shonen-ai/Slash! For DD_DM. A black-winged angel finds himself caught up in the fate of a young boy that defies existence itself, a boy with paradoxed wings, a boy named 'Iris'...

Chapter 35 - Continue

Chapter 35 - Continue
Iris

+--

They stepped out into thick, stagnant marshland. Valkyre looked around in surprise, glancing back at where they'd emerged. Sharp, jagged rocks were strewn about the landscape, and they seemed like nothing more than a pileup behind them, easily hiding the entrance it held. The soil was sandy and crumbling, too pebbly and rough to hold life, steeped in blackish water. Rotted snags and stumps of trees jutted out of the landscape at twisted angles, too decayed to be worth burning.
The angel shook his head, pulling himself and Iris to a flat sheet of rock, where the wet ground didn't suck at their feet. Above, the sky was mirculously clear, showing faint flickerings of stars and a dimmed moon that seemed reluctant to glow any brighter in the darkness. Still, the air was clear, fresh and slightly scented by the evening, bringing a gentle relief to the stifled air they'd left behind.
Valkyre looked around, trying to get his bearings. Swampland... near the coast? He closed his eyes, but he couldn't be sure if he smelled any hints of the faint tang of salt water. The rot and slow, earthy decay overpowered him.
The angel opened his eyes again, then bent down at the edge of the rock, staring into the muddied water. It wasn't much, and it probably wasn't healthy, but he cupped what water he could and did his best to rinse the blood from his hands, hating the metallic smell and the sticky feeling it gave him. He pulled off his gloves and stuffed them away in a pocket, rubbing at his palms, where the blood had leaked under.
He stood after having wiped half-heartedly at his face as well, rubbing his hands to get out the grit and black smears it gave him in return.
He sighed, then wrapped an arm over Iris' shoulder. His moist fingers brushed away a speckle of drying red-brown blood from the boy's cheek. "...You okay?"
The other tilted his head to one side, not quite seeming to hear, or simply not paying attention. Valkyre pursed his lips. "We have to get going. I... we've got to leave here."
Iris nodded, just faintly, and the angel carefully picked the boy up before flaring his wings and rising up into the air, closing his eyes momentarily and relishing in the feel of the cool, free air on his face. The knapsack, earlier adjusted to rest against his hip, bounced lightly with the movements.
Far above the ground, Valkyre stopped and studied the silver-black landscape below, trying to figure out where they were. A faint shimmer far to the east was proabbly the ocean indeed, though so far-off as to really not be taken into account, though it did give him a blurry bearing as to where they were.
North of them, to the west, a faint glow showed, metallic and brashly bright, though dimmed through distance.
Valkyre didn't particularly enjoy the idea of returning to a city again, but he realized that it would, hopefully, be safer than out on the barren lands. They could need somewhere to stay, somewhere hospitable. Even if it were to be dawn, they were tired and needed to recuperate. And amongst the scattered crush of people, hopefully, they would be harder to find.
The angel beat his wings again, this time knowing direction, able to relax now, mentally, having decided on which course to follow.
After a while of silence and the steady, muffled beat of wings, Valkyre looked down at the boy in his arms. Iris was awake for sure, his gray eyes staring out at nothingness, breathing shallow and gentle, but steady.
"...Iris?"
The boy's eyes flickered to him briefly, blinking slowly.
"...Corryn... was he..." Valkyre fumbled for words, not sure how to phrase it. "...Did you... l-like him? I mean, he..." The angel cut off his words, not liking how they'd come out. His face flushed, just slightly in the dark.
Iris smiled, faintly. He shrugged.
"I wanted to help him," he murmured quietly. "Maybe it's not like that, but... he's not bad. He's just... afraid. Sometimes."
Iris closed his eyes, breaths coming in small sighs. When Valkyre was just about sure the boy was asleep, he spoke up again. "...And... he's sad inside. ...He doesn't want to die."
The angel closed his eyes as well. "No one wants to die," he muttered, then blinked open his eyes again, realizing what he'd just said.
Iris didn't seem to react to it, eyes still shut, face calm, just the faintest traces of a smile on his lips. "Mmn."
Valkyre sighed, then turned his attention back to where he was going. Ahead, the city lights were becoming the brazen, sharp neon he was used to, the sharp rectangular buildings a blatant contrast to the softer, rolling organic land around.
In his arms, Iris seemed to have fallen asleep.

+--

AN: Damn me and my obsession with detail. ;__; I am so sorry.
Completely crappy short little chapter of filler, but, heck, I just had to put in the detail. I am such of a horrible person. XD
Well, as spring break [for me] is coming to a close, I'm really taking the time to cram in the work and try and get a few more chappies done. :) [You all should be so proud of me, I've barely touched the PS2 since! XD] And so, expect at least an update per week. Remember though, sooner you comment, sooner I bring out next chappie. :3 I've got, I think, 2 chappies after this one done already, just needing proofreading! So commento! X)
Oh, and as well, another little one-shotty is brewing, so I might take off a bit of time for it. [But I'll still update, no worry. :3] This one should be softer, and hopefully shorter. XD
Oh, oh, and another fanart alert! [Sorry about this, but I can't help it, it makes me so happy! XD] DefyDeath_DefyMe has drawn my adorable little Corryn-kun~! [Rating R though, so you know... ^^;] But I luvs it! And it is so pretty! ^______^- Take a peek! A-And leave a comment, too! X3 All of these fanarts make me sooo, so happy! Thank you all~! :)
Well, that's about all, I'll try to keep my notes thin. Best just to get to sit back and enjoy. :3
Thanks for reading! [Promise next chappie will be a bit longer! XD]

Comments

Comments (6)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Dark_Alchemist on January 31, 2007, 8:33:06 AM

Dark_Alchemist on
Dark_AlchemistI like detail. And it just occured to me that I kind of miss the old rating system. Rated R ... the new sysem is so complicated, I like simple. Sometimes.

Astri on August 5, 2006, 7:34:33 PM

Astri on
AstriDetail is important. Detail is the most important. Never let anyone tell you differently! (puts way too much detail into his stuff) Shut up!!

Besides, it’s nice to have a chapter like this sometimes, especially after a rash of info and action like there just was. It helps you process and get all your thoughts back up and with it.

Which makes me wonder...where is Raguel…? :looks suspiciously around:

SenayDragon on July 6, 2006, 11:17:43 AM

SenayDragon on
SenayDragonYay! Updatingness~! ^^ I like your details. It gives a better sense of their surroundings and how they relate to it. .....DETAILS! *spins*

CrescentMOON33 on April 25, 2006, 7:21:27 AM

CrescentMOON33 on
CrescentMOON33wee i love this story and thanks for your comments ^_^. hey not to bug your or anything but are you going to continue nocte??? I just REALLY love that story thats all =). anyways keep up the great work!

FATE_The_Pirate on April 24, 2006, 8:28:15 AM

FATE_The_Pirate on
FATE_The_PirateOMGOSHERS finally they are out of the scary place *sighs* cute but saidness you should continue with TC ^_^ i luff that story its so good *hugs story* there so cute though ^_^ mew hehe yeah anyway love the story... WRITE MORE XD... NOW XD love the story oh by the way (first comment dance) ~FATE the Pirate