Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 2 - Test

This is one of my slowest works to date, and I figured I'd put it up here. It's an original story with original characters.
Main character is "Alexander", an elf rogue.

I hope you enjoy this!

Chapter 2 - Test

Chapter 2 - Test
Hidden in one of the so called bushes of that gambling den, Alexander stuck his knife back on his belt as he turned his staff to the bow. A bag containing arrows was slung over his back, as went the bow for ease of movement. He'd chosen a darker shade of blue purple for his tunic, and his gray trousers were lighter so as to emulate the shadows and light for inside the gambling den.

Well, here goes nothing... he eased to the door, and carefully tested the knob. Locked like he expected...well, time for drastic measures. Taking his knife, he carefully whittled the door frame away from the knob. When he had enough room, he turned his attention to the wood near the latch.

Holding the knob so the door wouldn't swing open, he picked up a piece of rope that was near his feet and uncoiled about a foot of it. This he wrapped around the nearby bush, keeping one hand on the doorknob. He tied the other end to the doorknob and slipped inside, praying that he had measured the length right as he hid under one of the tables.

The door didn't even creak. Perfect.

Alexander struggled to keep his elation down to a simmer, but that didn't keep the pleased smirk from his face. Of course, for every GOOD thing that happens, there is about three bad.
And that three bad took the form of three bouncers. One by the stairwell, one by the right most wall--and one sitting at the table that Alexander had happened to duck under.

"Sheez, I wish that elf would get here where I can go to bed...can you believe we don't get paid extra for this?" the one above Alexander muttered.

"Yeah, well, what do you expect?" the one by the stairwell yawned, "I think he's already here, to tell the truth." a scraping sound, as if a blade was drawn from it's scabbard, "I'm not going to give him a chance to get hisself killed by those people. Just end it for him quick."

"Ryin, that's murder!" the bouncer sitting at the table jumped up, to get greeted with a cool,

"And what the boss is doing isn't? How many people have died?"

"Only three."

"The boss has only TRIED three," Ryin shakes his head, then looks at the other two, "Let's spare this one. He'll only be cut in half, and left for the crows as he dies," he then taps the sword on the dusty floor, "No...I'll just run him through. It'll be clean, and he'll get a burial."

"Why do you care? There's a reason that the boss is getting the scum of the earth to do this!" the bouncer at the right wall shrugged, "There's plenty of them, and it saves the town from another thief. Not to mention that the courts won't get paid for executions, if they fail."

"So," the third bouncer sat back down, and reclined, "you're saying that thieves don't realize the dangers of their antics?" as an afterthought, "We could be counting the money, he has to come through the door."

Crouching under the bar area, where he'd went while the bouncers were occupied, Alexander shivered. Hadn't even started and there were people after his blood! He closed his eyes, willing his slight tremor away as he eased closer to the stairwell.

Ryin hadn't moved, Alexander noted with a slight frown. Half turning around, he dug through his pack. No, don't want a smoke crystal. Cursed book won't help here--why'd I bring it! Dangit, where's my blue-flame rock?

As he tried to find his rock, tiny pinpricks touched his back, causing him to draw a hissing breath and freeze. Oh no...nonono...I don't want to die yet, I'm only twenty!! he closed his eyes tightly, waiting for the burn of the blade through his heart.
The needles removed themselves, and he stands up.
After waiting for a near eternity while nothing happens, he slowly released the breath he had been holding. Trembling, he eases his eyes open--pupils dilated to their fullest and his heart running a marathon.

"Tttthhhrr," a trill came from beside Alexander's feet, and something winds its way around his legs. Blinking, he looks down and sees a fuzzy, light gray cat with a black tail and ear look up at him, before it rubs his leg with its cheek.
He looks at the bouncers, who had dragged a safe from an indention in a wall and had opened it. They were watching the one that was counting the money, not even paying attention to anything else.

Ducking back down, he glares at the cat and whispers harshly while scratching its head, "Are you trying to get me caught, you fuzzball! What are you even doing in here??" he closes his eyes in embarrassed relief, and then pushes the cat out of his bag, "You sound like a windmill, be quiet." he pauses a second, narrowing his eyes and feeding the cat a tidbit of meat. He then slung the rest over the bar.

The cat bounds over the bar and skids on a table, chasing the food. The money, which had been in neat little piles, scattered as if living prey.

"Where the hell did you come from!!" a bouncer yells as he tried to catch flying money. The other two begin to pick up money, as Alexander slinks upstairs. He bolts to Mac's office, and opens the door.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment