Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - I'm Just Me

A story that starts as a simple visit from a cousin and a snowstorm that expands into an adventure the likes of which Zelda and Link would never imagine. This story encompasses many different characters, so you never know who'll you see next.

Chapter 1 - I'm Just Me

Chapter 1 - I'm Just Me


The snow was blowing hard, and piles of white were building up on top of the frozen moat surrounding Hyrule Castle. Princess Zelda looked out the window at the white world outside and wished that Link was there with her. He had been away for awhile, visiting the Zora's who had come to the castle with a message from their king. He had requested that the king of Hyrule send soldiers over to help the Zora's prepare for the winter by creating ice blockades around the springs to prevent them from freezing. Link had volunteered, and although the project was finished by now, the snow had trapped the Hylian hero and the other soldiers in the Zora's Domain.

Just thinking about all that water, and how cold it must be gave her chills, and she drew her robe tighter around her shoulders. She walked away from the window and sat down in front of the fireplace in her bedroom. The warmth of the fire was comforting, and she knelt before it and placed her hands near it, trying to warm them. A knock at the door brought her to her feet.

“Come in,” she called. In stepped her haind maiden, Lyla. Lyla was a young girl, about sixteen, and Zelda, who was only two years older then her, felt like a big sister to the young girl; for whenever Lyla had a problem, she would always come straight to Zelda for help.

“Your majesty,” the young brunette curtsied as she stepped in the room, “The captain of the guard is here. He says it's urgent.”

“Send him in,” Zelda said as she raced to get into something more decent then her nightgown. The captain stepped in, a stern-faced man with a clean-shaven face and neat, orderly hair. His chain boots clanked on the floor as he entered, telling Zelda he was standing behind her. She turned around with a smile on her face. Although she didn't mind him, Zelda had always found the captain to be too….duty bound.

“Yes, Captain Steiner,” Zelda asked.

“Your Highness,” Steiner began, his voice monotoned, “We have discovered a sinister-looking rogue behind the castle. She claimed she had been caught in the storm and was searching for a haven. Well, I told her to stay outside until-“

“You left her outside?!” Zelda asked, her voice carrying a touch of scorn, as she raced to the door. “Captain Steiner, if you're as chivalrous as you say you are, then you should have brought her in. This snow is too deep to leave people out in. Go let her in immediatley!”

“But, your highness-“

“Now!” Zelda ordered, “And if she is sick from this weather, you will help take care of her until she is better.”

“Yes, your highness,” Steiner said as he bowed and quickly left the room. Zelda sighed. She didn't like to yell, but that, she found, was the only way to get anything done when it came to Captain Steiner. She put on a blue dress, a heavy, silk gown and one of her favorites, with a small silver circlet. She stepped into the hall, and was met by Lyla.

“A soldier reported that the rogu- I mean, guest has been brought around to the front entrance and let inside.”

“Good,” Zelda said as she walked down the stone halls toward the grand entrance. Lyla followed behind, her young face red with excitement.

“Your highness,” Lyla started, but Zelda cut her off.

“Lyla, how often must I tell you to call me Zelda?”

“I'm sorry, your- I mean, Zelda. It's just, I'm so used to speaking officially. I have been taught to do so all my life.”

“I understand that,” Zelda said as she reached one of the doors that led into the hall, “But, we are friends, are we not?”

“Yes, of course,” Lyla said hesitantly, as if saying such a thing would cause trouble.

“Then, we shall speak to each other as friends, alright,” Zelda responded, placing a hand on the girl's shoulder and giving a small smile. Lyla nodded with a smile, then went to open the door for the princess.

Zelda stepped through the door and into the hall. It was large, with long banners with the Hyrule Family Crest on them spread throughout the room. The long balcony stretched all the way around room, with a long, sweeping staircase in the middle, right across from the main doors. A crimson carpet went from the doors up the stairs and around the balcony, and the entire room was lit by two dozen torches.

She looked down off the balcony and saw a single, familiar-looking woman, standing with Hylian guards around her.

“Announcing, her royal highness, Princess Zelda,” the crier announced as Zelda came down the stairs. She nodded to him, then turned to the woman. She dismissed the guards, who went to their posts along the doors and stairs. Zelda wanted badly to rush to her cousin, but knew that everything had to be done properly.

“Welcome,” she began, “I am Princess Zelda, and this is the Castle Hyrule. I am sorry for any trouble the guards may have caused you,” and at this, she threw a quick glance to Steiner, who blushed, but did not move from his attention position. “I can see that you're weary, so please allow my hand-maiden and myself to show you to your guest room.”

“Your highness,” Steiner began to protest as the three walked up the stairs, but then fell silent when Zelda gave him a deadly glare.

When they had gone upstairs, Zelda brought her to a large bedroom. She dismissed Lyla, and shut the door behind her, then ran to cousin and gave her a hug.

“Cousin Lulu,” she cried, “I'm so happy to see you!”

“As am I,” the woman said. She stood about as tall as Zelda, and they had similar features, but they couldn't be more opposite. While Zelda was a lighter person, with golden hair and and skin, her cousin Lulu had raven black hair, red eyes and pale skin. The red eyes were a result of a spell, one which she had taught to Zelda when they were younger. She always had her lips and nails painted purple, and her long hair was partially held up by hair ornaments which jingled when she moved, while the rest either hung down straight, or in thin braids. She always wore black, form fitting dresses, most that were low cut enough to make a school boy blush. The bottom of the dress was supported by many belts, which looped loosley around her legs. The edges of the dress were fur-trimmed, though Zelda didn't think they would help keep her too warm.

After they exchanged greetings, the two sat near the firplace, drinking tea.

“So, as soon as I heard about what happened, I rushed right over to see you,” Lulu explained. “Who would have thought that the Gerudo would have risen up like that?”

“I know,” Zelda agreed, “But enough about that, tell me about this fia'nce you wrote to me about.”

Lulu blushed slightly, then smiled. “His name is Wakka. He's a sailor and a fisherman, but he also has a history in the military. He's a bit lacking in the imagination department, but he's a nice man overall. Now, what about this boy you were telling me about? What's he like?”

Now it was Zelda's turn to blush. “Well, he's the strong-silent type.”

“He doesn't talk much?”

“Oh, he does, he just doesn't talk unless he's part of the conversation.”

“So he's well mannered,” Lulu nodded, “What else? What does he look like?”

“He's tall, with blonde hair, and the most amazing blue eyes,” Zelda answered, then added distantly, her mind's eye seeing Link standing before her, “And they sparkle just a little, when he smiles. And they have so much emotion behind them; it's as if his soul is right there. He's so kind and gentle, very brave and smart and strong.”

“Zelda,” Lulu said, snapping Zelda out of her daydream, “It sounds like you really love this man.”

“He saved my life,” Zelda replied, almost defensively, “But I wouldn't say I love him.”

Lulu gave Zelda a knowing look. She knew better. “I understand,” her cousin said. “So, have you given it to him?”

“What? The blue feather? You can't be serious.”

“Of course,” Lulu said, referring to a Hylian tradition. When one wished to propose, one would give the spouse-to-be a blue feather. They were very rare, and most people didn't do it any more, but Zelda's mother had kept one in a wooden box for her daughter to give to her future husband.

“So, have you ever considered it?”

“Once,” Zelda said, “Just once.”

“Just once?” Why?”

“I haven't felt the way I did that night, and that night was perfect.”

“Tell me the details,” Lulu said.

Zelda had settled in for bed, with the only light in her room being the small lamp she used for reading. She was reading a book of Sheika lore, and felt herself drifting off when she heard the most beautiful sound. It was autumn, and the nights were still warm, so she had left the window over the garden open. The sound came through, soft and sweet, and Zelda climbed out of bed to investigate. Below her, sitting in the garden on a stone bench was Link. He was quietly playing on his ocarina a slow song, the Minuet of Forest. Zelda slipped on a robe and snuck down the stairs to the entrance of the garden.

Link seemed absorbed in his music, so Zelda crept quietly up behind him, and sat down next to him. He stopped playing and looked at her with a smile.

“Your highness,” he said quietly.

“Don't stop,” Zelda said, “It sounds lovely.”

“Of course,” Link replied, then continued the song. When he had finished, he turned back to her.

“How was that?”

“It was wonderful,” she answered. The she looked up into the star-filled sky. “The sky is beautiful tonight.”

“Indeed,” Link said, a certain awe in his voice, his eyes not leaving her face. The two sat silently, gazing into the stars.

“So, Link, have you ever thought of leaving Hyrule? For no reason other than to see what's out there?”

“Not really,” Link replied, “I've traveled a lot, and I've seen a lot, so I guess the thought of traveling just because has never crossed my mind.”

“I want to,” Zelda said. “I want to travel all over, and see all the sights.”

“That does sound fun,” Link said, turning to look at the princess.

“Perhaps we could go together,” Zelda sighed happily, then leaned on Link's strong shoulder.

“I would like that,” Link said, “I think we should go this spring, when everything is new and clean.”

“Yes,” Zelda agreed slowly, looking up at Link. She looked into his pure blue eye, and he returned the gaze. Before Zelda knew it, she was leaning forward, her lips ready for the one thing she had been waiting for for a long time. Link also leaned forward, his eyes closed, and then they kissed.

It was the most perfect feeling Zelda had ever had. It felt pure, and wonderful. She knew then and there that this was the man she wanted to marry. After that kiss, they sat together for a short time, Zelda leaning on Link's shoulder Link playing Zelda's Lulabye on his ocarina. She smiled when she heard the song and Zelda felt herself drift off to sleep. She awoke to find Link placing her in her bed. She decided not to ruin the moment, and laid still. Link placed the blankets on her, then kissed her lightly on the forehead. “I'll love you forever, my princess,” he said quietly, then left the room. Zelda smiled, then went back to sleep.

“And that's what happened,” Zelda finished.

“And why haven't you proposed?”

Zelda stood up with surprise. “Because, I haven't…I haven't felt that it would be right.”

“Why?”

“Because he's so perfect, and I'm just me.”

“You're a princess! What's not perfect?”

“Exactly! Because I'm a princess, I won't be able to be free, whether I'm married to Link or not. We'll remain in this castle forever, and never be happy with our life together.”

“Then leave,” Lulu said simply, pouring herself more tea.

“What! What do you mean?”

“I mean, leave. Give up the crown, and leave.”

“I can't just do that! I'm the sole heir, and the only member left in the immediate royal family.”

“Well then, I don't know what to tell you. All I can say is this, your going to let boundaries keep you from your perfect match. The Zelda I knew when I was younger would never let boundaries stop her from getting what she truly wanted.”

One day earlier….

Link wipped the sweat from his brow. He and the soldiers had been working hard at the ice blockers for hours. They had been working for three days, almost on end, putting up the large wooden structures, and the waters were freezing cold. The Zoras had given them all tunics that would allow them to breathe underwater, but they didn't keep them very warm. Three of the soldiers had already taken ill, and Link was beginning to feel sick as well. Fortunately, the Zora had discovered a group of hot springs, and after some work, they were all able to connect a spring to the main water flow, filling the pool in the Zora's Domain with rejuvinating warmth. They had finished up for the day, and Link decided to visit the hot springs and see if they could really make him feel better. The springs were in a cavern a short distance from the main lagoon, so he didn't have to move that far. His steps were stiff and sore from working in the cold waters, but he was welcomed by the sight of the springs. Steam rose up from numerous pools, and Link breathed in the cleansing heat. The water started to calm his muscles the moment he hit them, and he felt instantly relaxed. The waters spread warmth throughout his body..

The springs ended up being more relaxing then he had anticipated, and he ended up dozing off. He awoke with a start when he heard a cry. He quickly threw on his clothes and followed the cries to a small stream of water coming from the main spring. The sound of rushing water got louder as he approached, and he found that this stream led right into an underground gorge. The cries were coming from a soldier who was hanging onto a rock jutting out from the waterfall above the deep, black chasm. The man's lips were blue, and his eyes clenched, while his grip on the rock slowly slipped away.

“Hold on!” Link called, then ran to the edge of the stream. The stream was not wide, but very deep, with a swift current. Link scrounged around for anything for him to grab onto when he had gotten the man and needed to get back. Along the edges of the stream was some jetsam that had washed up, and he dug through it until he found a fraying cord of rope. He hoped it would be long enough to throw to the man. He tossed it as far as he could, only to have it come up short.

Link quickly realized that the only way to save the man would be swim out to him and save him. He braced himself against the chilling water, and dove in. The cold water sucked the breath from him, but he didn't care at that point. The current was swifter then he thought, and it slammed him into the rock. Link gasped as the wind was once again knocked out of him, but climbed onto the rock, and crawled over to the soldier. He grasped at the man's hands, trying to pull the man up. At first, it seemed like he would make it, but Link's grip slipped, and the man fell. Link reached down and grabbed the collar of his armor. The soldier grabbed onto Link's forearm, and helped to pull himself up. The two fell back onto the stone, and Link immediately got up to check the soldier. He saw the tips of the man's fingers were almost as blue as his lips. He was suffering from hypothermia. Link had to get him to a doctor immediatley, or he would die. Placing the man on his shoulders, he tore off one of the sleeves of his tunic, and tied the man's wrists together around his neck so the man wouldn't slip off of Link's back on the return swim.

Link dove once again into the water, this time swimming against the current but it was powerful, and keot pulling the two back towards the gorge, as if it were a great beast, trying to devour the hapless pair. Link swam on, and stretched as far as he could for the edge, but his arms and legs were growning numb from the icy waters, and he started to dip beneath the crashing stream. Suddenly, two, silvery hands reached down and grabbed his left wrist, though Link barely felt it, then another pair grabbed his right. He felt himself being lifted out of the water, and placed on the stone floor. The man on his back was taken off him, and a blanket was wrapped around his and Link's shoulders. Link's teeth chattered together as he tried to get to his feet, but they fell out from beneath him.

“Don't try to stand,” he heard a voice say, and then looked up to see a Zora standing above him. Behind him, two other Zoras were tending to the man, wrapping a second blanket around him and giving him some red liquid to drink. Then they carried him towards the hot springs. Link's vision was a bit blurry, but when his eyes refocused, he realized that the Zora that had saved him was Loku, a good friend of his. Normally speaking, Link couldn't tell the difference between Zoras, but Loku made it easy with the strange, swirling black tatoos all over his arms, as well as on the sides of his torso and on the left side of face.

“Thanks Loku,” Link coughed as he took a deep, much needed, breath.

“Don't mention it,” Loku answered, patting Link on the back. “Just don't play hero unless there's someone else to play hero for you next time. You're lucky we heard that man's cries, otherwise you'd both be frozen solid at the bottom of that gorge.”

After Link got some feeling back in his legs, Loku took Link's arm around his neck and helped the water-logged hero back to the main cavern. The two sat together in the humid cave on the edge of a cliff, looking into the blue waters of the underground lagoon.

“So, have you asked her yet?” Loku asked suddenly.

“What?” Link asked.

“Have you asked Zelda the big question?”

Link jumped with surprise. “What!? You can't mean…No, I could never-“

“Well, why not? I know she loves you.”

“How?”

“You remember that time when you brought her here because she was a diplomat for her father?”

“Yes,” Link said, recalling that adventure quite clearly.

The waterfall pounded into the lagoon, its roar deafening. It was the spring thaw, so the water flow was much larger then normal. Zelda gazed into the waterfall and watched the light of the sun and the torces in the cavern dance in the crystal clear water. The dazzling sight held her in almost a trance, so she jumped when Link tapped her on the shoulder.

“Link,” she sighed when she saw who it was.

“So, how did the meeting with the king go?” Link asked, sitting down on the edge of the cliff.

“It went well,” Zelda answered, doing likewise. “It is now official. If ever we are attacked by an outside force, we can count the Zoras as allies, as long as we keep Lake Hylia and the waters near Hyrule Town clean.”

“Sounds reasonable,” Link nodded. He ran his fingers through his blonde hair and sighed.

“I'm going for a swim,” Zelda suddenly declared.

“What?” Link asked.

“I'm going for a swim,” she repeated. Then she grinned mischeviously, and Link could see a plan forming in her eyes. “I'm going to get changed,” she said as she stood up and walked off. Link watched go, a curious look on his face. What could she be up to? He thought to himself. After a few minutes, she returned, dressed in one of Link's tunics.

“What are you doing,” Link asked, chuckling when he saw the tunic was too big for her. The green sleeves went down to her elbows, and the bottom went down to just above her knees.

“I couldn't find anything in my luggage, so I borrowed some of yours.”

“Hey,” Link started to protest, but before he could say anything else, Zelda pulled Link's hat from behind her back and put it on her head, then raced off. Link jumped up and ran after her. She looked back as she ran and giggled, then went around a curve in to passage who's water was flowing down from a higher cavern. The shallow stream led to led to the top of a large waterfall. Zelda looked down and saw the deserted lagoon below. She heard Link's bare footsteps splash through the water behind her. She turned around and smiled wide at him, then dove off the edge into the lagoon below.

Link gasped when he saw her dive, and ran to the edge. He saw a splash, and a few seconds, Zelda's head appeared above the water. She waved to him, and Link just smiled and he dove in after her.

He burst into the water, and swam down deep. Zelda looked around, confused and a little panicked when he didn't come up after a few seconds. Suddenly, she felt the hat slid off her head, and she turned around to see Link holding the dripping wet hat in his hand, a triumphant look on his face. She looked at him with a sly look, then reached for the hat.

“No fair,” she said, “You can't sneak up like that.”

“Well, you shouldn't steal hats,” Link chuckled when she grabbed one end of the hat. Link tried to pull it back, but he only succeeded in bringing Zelda closer. The two floated silently in the water for a moment, staring at each other, and then, before he knew what he was doing, Link was leaning towards Zelda, and she was doing likewise. Link lightly touched his lips to hers, unsure if she wanted that, but when she didn't pull away, he kissed her. It was amazing. Link closed his eyes and saw nothing but sparks flashing before his eyes. They broke apart, and Link was left breathless. Zelda smiled slightly, then ducked beneath the water and swam towards the end of the lagoon. To Link, the way her hair was flowing in the water and the way the light shone on her beautiful face reminded him of the mermaids he had heard tales of in books, and but when he saw her climb out of the water and wring out her sopping hair, he knew that she was more beautiful then anyone else he had ever seen. As she walked off, Link laid back and floated on the water, looking up to the stone ceiling, his mind whirring with feelings and energy. Suddenly, a tatooed Zora face leaned over his head and chuckled.

“You know, if Princess Ruto ever found out-“ Link jumped with surprise, blood rushing to his face and his stomach doing back flips.

“Did you see that?” Link gulped.

“Of course I did,” Loku answered in a know-it-all fashion, “Though, maybe I should have left you two love gills alone.” He leaned up against a stone wall, and folded his scaly arms behind his head as Link climbed out of the water, his clothes dripping wet. He started wringing them out, and brushed his hand through his hair, trying to get rid of the excess water.

“Well,” Link said, as he wiped off his still red face, “No one was forcing you to watch.”

“True,” Loku agreed, “But I do so enjoy romance scenes,” he sighed dramatically.

“Shut up,” Link grumbled. The whole thing had been wonderful, Link wouldn't deny that, but Loku was quickly draining all romance from it. He sighed and decided to ignore his friend's taunting, thinking only on the beautiful princess.

“You never did apoligize for that,” Link pointed out to his Zora friend.

“You're right,” Loku admitted, his voice sounding apologetic. “I mean, I found out about all that not two weeks later with Coral.”

“You mean that one girl,” Link asked.

Loku nodded, “She can be very forward sometimes, but she's gorgeous and sweet otherwise.”

Link rolled his eyes. He still didn't know how one could determine outward beauty when it came to Zoras, since they all looked the same; there had to be some kind of difference. Perhaps it was scale shine or something.

“The princess Zelda, is quite a catch though,” Loku commented before standing up. “Tell me why you haven't proposed yet.”

“Because, she's a princess, and I'm a dirty peasant.”

“You're the hero of Hyrule, I think that boosts your status up a bit.”

“Perhaps,” Link said quietly. “I need to get back to the castle,” he said after a moment.”

“That's the spirit,” Loku cheered.

“Not because of that, but because…I..uh,” but Link couldn't think of an excuse. He coughed slightly, then went to get packed. Little did he know that a huge blizzard was brewing above Hyrule field.

Link followed the Zora River down to the entrance of Hyrule Field, but was met with an icy blast of snow. The clouds above were almost black, they were so dark, a fierce bitterly cold wind was blowing. Link pulled the cowl of his hood around his ears and face as tightly as he could, but it didn't help. The cold air seemed to pass right through his cloak, tunic, skin, and then cut straight through his very core. He shivered violently, trying to keep of the horrible chill.

“Maybe I should have waited to leave,” he chattered to himself. His body hadn't quite recovered from the icy swim, and this storm wasn't helping.

Suddenly, the sky burst open, releasing a blinding flurry of snow. It stung him, and the strength was completely sapped away. He fought on, trying his hardest to keep moving. He knew that if he fell now, he would not wake up. He kept going, and the white kept piling up, first to his calves, then to his knees, and before he knew it, the snow had reached his waste. He trudged on, but the field continued to stretch out before him, with Hyrul Castle Town still the in the distance.

When he could see the torches on the walls of the city, he took a step forward, but the bank was deeper then he expected, and he fell forward, with a pile of snow collapsing ontop of him. Link tried to move, but he was too cold and too tired. His eyes slowly closed, for what he knew would be the last time.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment