Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 25 - Vol 6: The Reluctant Lion

Dissidia Academy: A predigious school for the ambitious and talented, where students strive to accomplish their goals and dreams.

Follow the heroes of Final Fantasy as they tackle the many challenges and tribulations that await them throughout the eventful academic year!

Chapter 25 - Vol 6: The Reluctant Lion

Chapter 25 - Vol 6: The Reluctant Lion
“Wait a minute … Isn’t that the guy you bumped into the other day?” A female student in the crowd pointed out to her friend beside her, recognising Squall as he stepped up to the stage. “Squall … Right?”
“Yeah…” The other female student responded in a soundless murmur; her eyes fixated on Squall as she struggled to find her words. “…That’s him.”
As Squall took the Witness Stand, he felt an abrupt shiver crawl up his spine. The feeling of the entire audience peering down on him grew overwhelming, believing this centre of attention to be bothersome and unwarranted.
Ultimately, he waved off the inconvenience, thinking nothing of those behind him as he focused on the Court Trial.
“Hey, Rinoa.” The initial female student quietly muttered as she nudged her friend, her body restless as heightened anticipation overtook her.  “Do you think we should call out to him? Maybe he’ll recognise us!”
“Wha-!? Selphie, no!” The other female student – Rinoa Heartilly – hastily hushed her friend, her eyes wavering as she felt conscious of the audience around her. “We’ll get kicked out if we do that!”
“Awh! You’re no fun!” The initial female student – Selphie Tilmitt – disappointingly booed back, crossing her arms as she continued to watch the Trial.
Rinoa sighed at her hyperactive tomboy of a friend, finding her personality a handful at times.
As she switched back to watching the Trial, she remembered her previous encounter with Squall. Their conversation was unfortunately brief, yet the aura of mystery surrounding him left her intrigued.
For some unknown reason, she wanted to know more about him as a person.
She could feel an abundance of feelings and emotions bottled up within him, locked away in a psychological cage as he continued to show off his cold, unwelcoming exterior.
In her mind, Rinoa related him to a bird trapped in a cage, praying to be set free from the restraining shackles placed upon him – only to have those prayers bluntly ignored by the society around him.
(Maybe I’m just overthinking it...)
As she whisked away her wondering thoughts, her gave veered to the audience around her – curious as to their various reactions.
They were what she expected: shock; excitement; anticipation; and curiosity.
However, she then caught a glance of an individual.
She leaned forward on her seat to gain a clearer view, believing her eyes were not deceiving her.
“Hey … Selphie?” She murmured to her friend as her eyes continued to stare at the student. “Do you see that guy?”
Selphie glanced over upon hearing her name, “Hm? Oh, yeah! Isn’t he in the same class as Squall?”
“Yeah…” Rinoa nodded vacantly. “But … why does he look so sad?”
Further along the row of seats from them was Bartz Klauser.
He continued to stare at the events unfolding on the stage, his expression filled with distraught and heartache.
 
Meanwhile, on the Theatre Stage…
 
“My name … is Squall Leonhart.”
Squall’s voice echoed throughout the Hall as he introduced himself, his expression as cold and firm as stone.
Every member of the court watched on in silence, all intimidated by Squall’s overall presence. Even on stage, members of the court were tense, unsure how to approach the irritable student without feeling judged by their actions.
Onion Knight stood as firm as a statue, refusing to waver as he set his sights on his moody classmate. He felt that all the preparation and endurance of the trials had led up to that very moment, believing they were destined to face each other eventually.
With everything he had at his disposal, Onion Knight was certain he had enough evidence to prove Zidane’s innocence and Squall’s guilt in the process.
All he had to do was play his cards right.
“Squall … Leonhart.”
The High-Judge Gabranth was heard muttering from his seat, glaring down upon the new witness with a judging gaze.
“Please answer the Prosecution’s second ques- Guh!?”
Gabranth was then caught off-guard by Squall as he shot a returning glare in the High-Judge’s direction, the student’s piercing eyes locked directly at him.
“Just get on with it already.” Squall commanded in his careless tone, scoffing at the pointless question.
“What the-!?” Prishe then reacted in bafflement, taken aback by the student’s disrespect. “Hey! You have no right to speak to the High-Judge Gabranth like-!”
“Shut it, Long-ears.” Squall then retorted, interrupting the Elvaan girl mid-sentence.
“Eh…? ‘Long-ears’!?”
In that moment, Prishe’s emotions elevated from shock to fury, storming up to the Witness Stand with fists clenched and veins popping from her forehead.
Squall watched her violent approach, expressing no signs of reaction nor retaliation to her outburst.
“You know what: SCREW YOU! I’m gonna deck you so hard that you’ll end up sucking your own-!”
However, just before she could land a strike, she was restrained by a sudden force from behind. She felt a pair or arms lock over her shoulders as she was dragged away from the Witness Stand against her will.
She then noticed that the Prosecution Stand was empty.
“That’s enough, Prishe!” Warrior of Light yelled hastily, forcing every ounce of strength in his body to retrain the Elveen girl. “Please refrain from assaulting the witness!”
“Don’t get in my way, Light!” Prishe argued back with her arms flailing and legs kicking out. “This A-hole’s been asking for a boot to the head ever since he dropped from his mother’s womb!”
“I-it’s not worth the hassle!” Warrior of Light responded in his struggle, realising harrowingly how resilient Prishe was when stuck in a conflict of raw strength. “He’s just a little … blunt.”
“Oh-hoh…! ‘Blunt’, you say?” Prishe then chortled, scoffing at the poor excuse as she continued to thrash around in protest. “His mouth won’t be the only thing that’s ‘blunt’ after I’M THROUGH WITH HIM!”
Without Warrior of Light realising, Prishe had loosened her boot instinctively.
WHAM!
“Oof!”
“HA-HAH! DIRECT HIT!”
Prishe threw her arms up in celebrated joy as she flung her boot at the unsuspecting Squall, causing him to stumble as the boot struck him directly in the left eye.
“Serves you right, you heartless Son-of-a-B-!”
Bang-bang-BANG!!!
“ORDER! I WILL HAVE ORDER!” Gabranth bellowed in command, towering up from his seat and he struck his gavel. “I will NOT allow senseless violence to escalate in my courtroom!”
After that, an emergency 2-Minute recess was swiftly called.
 
After a brief pause…
 
“Our bailiff would like to say a few words to the court.” High-Judge Gabranth announced in an unimpressed tone, his patience on edge.
Standing beside the Judge’s Podium was a reluctant Prishe, fidgeting awkwardly as she felt numerous pairs of eyes bearing down upon her.
She then murmured underneath her breath.
“I’m … ‘orry…”
“Louder.” Gabranth demanded firmly.
“I’m sorry! I crossed the line and abused my position as bailiff!” Prishe then yelled out, overwhelmed with humiliation. “Can we move on now?!”
Gabranth gave a single nod, shifting his attention to the Witness Stand.
“Is that an acceptable apology, Mr Leonhart?”
Squall Leonhart stood idle on the Witness Stand with an icepack pressed over his left eye, the piercing glare of his remaining eye staring at the two with an apathetic expression.
“Denied.”
Prishe snapped immediately.
“DO YOU WANT ANOTHER BLACK-EYE?!”
“PRISHE!”
Gabranth bellowed at his bailiff, disgusted by her attitude and lack of etiquette.
“Tsk…!”
Prishe yielded bitterly, growling underneath her breath.
The High-Judge sighed out, soothing his temple as he returned focus to the court trial.
The audience watched on with blank expressions, many struggling to process the event whilst others were still shocked over the unexpected outburst.
However, amongst the shock and discomfort was one individual chortling away without a card in the world.
“BWA-HAHAHAHAHAA...!!! CHAOS!!! ABSOLUTE CHAOS!!!”
It was Kefla, exploding in fits of laughter after witnessing the ordeal.
"I’m in heaven!”
WHAM!
““WILL YOU SHUT UP ALREADY!””
Either side of the laughing clown was Conductor Kuja and Professor Ultimecia, both reacting to Kefka’s manic cackles with a synchronised chop to his cranium. Kefka slumped back against his seat, left in a complete daze.
“...Eh-hehehehee...”
Watching the crowd’s reactions and commotions from the stage, Terra felt a combination of anxiety and second-hand embarrassment.
(Why will this nightmare end…?)
Finally, the High-Judge Gabranth announced to the court, acting at the end of his rope.
“Please. Continue.”
“Yes, Your Honour.” Warrior of Light accepted with a sigh, deciding to answer for his witness and fellow classmate. “Squall Leonhart is another member of Class 13A. Whilst I have no record of any preferred extra-curricular activity, I can confirm that he has a significant link to case – specifically to our notorious Defendant.”
“Please elaborate to the court, Prosecution.” Gabranth then requested, straightening his posture against his seat.
“I’ll have the man himself answer this request, Your Honour.” Warrior of Light answered, passing over to his antisocial witness. “Squall, please reveal to the court of your affiliation with the Defendant.”
At first, Squall was as silent and condescending as ever, his arms crossed whilst returning a deathly glare – causing Onion Knight to roll his eyes.
However, an inaudible sigh escaped Squall’s breath.
Onion Knight leaned forward in piqued interest, ensuring every word and detail from the stubborn witness is documented.
“He’s my…” Squall murmured hesitantly, choosing his words carefully as he lowered his gaze.
Various members of the court perked up in curiosity, wondering how Squall considered his relationship with Zidane and Bartz as a trio. Two notable students were staring intensely, perched on the edge of their seats as they anticipated Squall’s words.
For Zidane and Bartz, they felt like the next words were their lifelines.
Squall grumbled as he answered.
“He’s just an acquaintance.”
Fwoosh…!
In that instant, Zidane and Bartz sunk back in their seats, their faces turned pale as they struggled to process the context behind his blunt words.
(After all the years we’ve known each other, he only sees us as ‘acquaintances’…?)
“…Fine.” Warrior of Light nodded in confirmation, holding a stoic posture as he proceeded. “And, for the record: this also means you’re also somewhat affiliated with his friend and partner in crime … Bartz Klauser?”
Squall nodded.
“Yes. He’s also just an acquaintance.”
Every word was a stab to the heart for the two classmates, feeling as though their once-unbreakable bonds were ripped from their bodies. They were lifeless in their seats, unable to focus on the trial before them.
Both Onion Knight and Terra noticed their reactions, feeling empathetic of their unfortunate revelation.
“So be it.” Warrior of Light muttered with a stoic expression, preferring not to meddle with the melodrama. “I’d rather avoid wasting anymore of the court’s time, so let’s-!”
“Wait.”
Before Warrior of Light could finish his statement, Squall interjected in abrupt haste.
Taken aback by the unexpected interruption, Warrior of Light switched back to the cynical witness with an irritated gaze.
“…Yes, Squall.”
“As someone who knows the defendant personally, I want to add my opinion on this whole … headache.” Squall requested with a sigh, feeling as though he had to speak his mind.
Warrior of Light nodded, “Go ahead.”
Before Squall proceeded, he glanced over to Zidane.
Even though he was barely focused on the trial at this point, the disheartened Zidane met eyes with Squall.
There was silence between them, acting as though they were attempting to read each other’s thoughts. Zidane sat up on his seat with a hint of renewed hope, praying that Squall’s antagonistic tone was just a mere ruse to satisfy the audience.
Unfortunately, reality was cruel.
“Zidane is Guilty.”
Zidane’s eyes widened in horror, Squall’s damning words echoing through his mind.
“No matter how anyone spins it … this entire fiasco was inevitable.” Squall stated in a loud, clear voice, his gaze locked onto the defendant with unwavering eyes. “Zidane continued to pull his pranks and tricks believing his was invulnerable. He showed no remorse for his many victims, only laughing at their expense.”
Zidane shrivelled up in his seat, covering his ears as he attempted to block
“It makes me happy … to see him finally face the consequences of his actions.” Squall concluded with an emotionless expression, his lifeless eyes staring down Zidane like daggers piercing their target.
And just like that, Zidane’s heart shattered.
He was a lifeless shell, unable to rationalise Squall’s comments as the betrayal clouded his mind. He wondered if the vast memories of Squall joining him during his pranks were simply fabrications create from his imagination, yet he was certain that they were real.
Even though he was aware that his pranks on people bothered Squall, he always felt that his friend was at least tolerant in following through with the plans – even when it was only to keep Zidane grounded in his lofty ambitions.
(When did he change his tune...?)
Watching the emotional devastation between the two former friends from his Defence stand, Onion Knight clenched his fists against the table surface – feeling he was close to losing his composure.
“Onion Knight...” Terra murmured cautiously, noticing her friend’s reaction from the corner of her eye.
“Terra .... let’s give Squall the reality-check he deserves.” Onion Knight growled resentfully, overwhelmed with fury and determination.
Initially shocked by Onion Knight’s declaration, Terra nodded to him with equal determination – committed to prove Zidane’s innocence once-and-for-all.
“I think I’ve heard enough teenage melodrama for an eternity...” The High-Judge Gabranth groaned, rubbing his temple before proceeding with the trial. “Mr Leonhart, please present the court with your first statement.”
Hearing the High-Judge’s command, Squall switched and gave a single yet firm nod in acceptance.
 
Witness Testimony 1: Squall Leonhart.
 
“The morning of the incident, Zidane approached me with his plans to prank Professor Setzer Gabbaini.” Squall proceeded to explain, no hint of hesitation in his voice. “He detailed every step of his plan: How he planned to initially scam Professor Gabbaini out of pocket with a rigged game of blackjack; how he then planned to lure the Professor to Math Room 3 through a fake promise of returning his coin … if he showed Zidane – and Bartz – all of the upcoming Math test answers; and finally, how he planned to set off a domino effect of tricks to humiliate the Professor in front of his upcoming class at the time.
“After explaining his plans, he simply stated that: ‘If anyone got in my way … they’ll suffer the consequences’.” He then added, shaking his head at the thought. “Obviously, I declined. I told Zidane that he was taking his pranks way too far, and that I wanted no part of it. In fact, I warned him that his elaborate prank would likely backfire on him considering the potential risk of injury – both accidental and intentional. Worst of all, if he were to get caught, I guaranteed him that he would be expelled for his actions.”
Squall then paused, acting as though he was disappointed in the eventual outcome.
“But, as you’re already aware … my warnings fell on deaf-ears.” He murmured. “Zidane followed through with his plan without my help. I carried on with my day and it wasn’t until after the incident when I found out Zidane’s plans fell apart.”
Squall paused once more … before finishing with one last comment.
“Karma is a tough mistress.”
 
Witness Testimony … Complete.
 
The court room was silent, everyone processing the statement until it was etched into their brains.
Onion Knight hastily jotted down his plethora of notes, sweat forming from his brow and carpal tunnel breaking out through his wrist. However, he refused to yield to his irritable pain, desperate to include every detail and additional thoughts.
Finally, as he finished ‘dotting his I’s’ and ‘crossing his T’s’, Onion Knight placed down his pen and breathed out.
“What’re your thoughts, Onion Knight?” Terra wondered to him in a quiet tone, cautious that the rest of the court – especially Squall and Warrior of Light – was unaware of their conversation. “Do we have anything we can use against his testimony?”
Onion Knight was hesitant to answer, scanning through his notes thoroughly before he could determine his approach.
The main aspect of the testimony that caught Onion Knight’s attention was the detailed reveal of Zidane’s initial prank – an aspect of the case that he had overlooked. The fact that he had missed such a crucial detail infuriated him, realising he had numerous opportunities to ask Zidane.
(If I knew the details of Zidane’s prank from the offset...)
Onion Knight then shook his head hastily, reminding himself that there was no point dwelling on the past.
He focused on the new information and how he could utilise it for the trial, analysing every aspect of the testimony – including the flaws.
“His lies are obvious.” Onion Knight deduced, tapping his notes whilst his face was filled with disdain. “Our problem … is how we prove his lies.”
“So, do you suggest we pick at his testimony until we find the contradiction?” Terra then recommended with an innocent smile.
Onion Knight smirked back, amused by the suggestion.
“Oh, you know me too well.”
During this time, the High-Judge Gabranth nodded in satisfaction.
“A valiant testimony, Mr Leonhart.” He stated wholeheartedly, switching to Warrior of Light’s direction. “Anything you wish to add before we proceed with the cross-examination, Prosecution?”
At the Prosecution stand, Warrior of Light stood with his arms crossed.
He glared at Squall with an unsatisfied tone, acting as though he was attempting to communicate with the witness through facial expressions. His face was tense and unbreakable as he awaited a response from the uncaring witness.
On the other hand, Squall was unfazed by the intense eyes staring at him, avoiding eye-contact entirely as he glanced away irritably.
“No, Your Honour.” Warrior of Light then answered, refusing to shift his gaze from the Witness. “I have nothing to add at this current time.”
Onion Knight noticed his opponent’s odd reaction, caught off-guard by the unexpected discrepancy between the two.
(Even Warrior of Light knows he’s lying…! This is going to get interesting…)
“Well, without further ado…” Gabranth announced awkwardly, feeling he had no other choice except to proceed. “Defence, you may now cross-examine the Witness.”
“I’m ready, Your Honour.” Onion Knight answered confidently, his eyes set on his target.
 
Cross-Examination 1: Squall Leonhart
 
“Squall, if you can recall: we recently had a discussion regarding your past relationship with Zidane and Bartz.” Onion Knight recollected as he proceeded with his questions. “Could you elaborate to the court how long you’ve been close frie-... I mean, ‘acquaintances’ with them?”
“Objection!” Warrior of Light yelled out abruptly. “This is a needless question. The court already knows that Squall was acquainted with Zidane and Bartz for some time.”
Onion Knight switched directly to the High-Judge.
“Your Honour, the initial answer documented to the court was far too vague.” He argued respectfully, standing behind his decision. “There is a lot more established history behind their relationship beyond a simple ‘acquaintance’. We require the context to legitimise the testimony.”
“...Do you have any evidence to support your argument?” Gabranth requested crucially, acting on the verge of sustaining Warrior of Light’s objection.
SLAM!
“Try me.”
In response, Onion Knight slammed his palm against the stand’s surface, placing a folder with the title: ‘Squall Leonhart – Interrogation’ dated the previous day.
The entire court – including Gabranth and Warrior of Light – peered forward as they wondered what Onion Knight placed on the desk.
However, Onion Knight smirked confidently, noticing Squall’s reaction the instant he placed the folder on the table.
Although his expression was as firm as stone, the colour in Squall’s face fell pale.
“No way...! Onion Knight, you archived the entire conversation?!” Terra gasped as she scanned the contents of the folder.
“That’ll be the first AND last time I ever pull an all-nighter.” Onion Knight breathed out in confirmation, his shoulders drooped as he felt the fatigue. “...Never again will I subject myself to such torment.”
He then focused his attention on the High-Judge Gabranth.
“Your Honour, this folder contains a transcript detailing the conversation between Squall, my associate Terra, and myself.” He then explained, opening the folder to the first page in the process. “I ensured every detail of the conversation was included: his friendship with Zidane and Bartz dating back to the age of ten; his reluctance to involve himself in their schemes – aside from one incident involving their previous school's Headmaster; And – most significantly ... how he called them his ‘close friends’.”
“Bailiff ... the folder.” Grabranth requested with a nod, using Prishe to retrieve the new evidence.
“That’s ridiculous!” Warrior of Light yelled in detest. “Your Honour, surely you’re not thinking of adding that into evidence?! There’s a high chance the contents are-!”
“Hush.” The High-Judge interrupted with a powerful voice, waving off Warrior of Light’s concern as he received the folder. “Allow me to be the judge of that.”
After that, Gabranth flicked through the folder’s contents in silence, scratching his chin as he was absorbed in the text.
Onion Knight watched the High-Judge intensely as he awaited the verdict, praying Gabranth would accept the transcript into official evidence.
“Interesting...” Gabranth murmured before switching to the witness. “Mr Leonhart, can you confirm to the court that you had the conversation in this transcript?”
“Tsk...!”
Squall scoffed reactively, avoiding eye-contact entirely as he was reluctant to answer the High-Judge.
However, after a moment of reflection, he turned back to face Gabranth directly.
“The conversation described in that transcript ... is true.” He admitted in a bitter scowl. “Every word.”
(YES!!!)
Onion Knight’s thoughts erupted in glee as he clenched his fist, feeling triumphant in hearing Squall’s answer echo throughout the court walls.
The audience gasped in shock as they heard Squall’s answer, muttering and gossiping amongst each other in anticipation of how the trail would proceed with the information. Even the trio of teachers – Conductor Kuja, Professor Ultimecia, and Kefka – were intrigued by the new information.
With Squall’s admittance to the transcript outed to the court, his earlier comment regarding his association with Zidane and Bartz rendered moot and – more importantly – places doubt in the legitimacy to his testimonies.
It was the exact boost Onion Knight required to strengthen Zidane’s innocence.
“Fine. I’ll accept the transcript into evidence.” Gabranth decided ultimately with a sigh, returning the folder to its owner.
Warrior of Light threw his arms up in distraught, losing his composure in disbelief.
Onion Knight snickered as the sight of his opponent’s reaction, satisfied in witnessing the amusing display of human emotion.
“I must say, you both have a habit of revealing evidence at oddly convenient timing.” Gabranth then muttered to the two sides, tensioning his posture. “It’s rather unorthodox...”
“I’m sorry, Your Honour.” Onion Knight bowed respectfully, although beaming from ear-to-ear.
Warrior of Light lowered his head, grumbling to himself inaudibly.
“For the remainder of the trial, I’ll overlook the issue … considering it’ll likely happen again.” Gabranth then announced, acknowledging the apology in the process with a respecting nod. “Just promise me that whatever remaining ‘evidence’ you both have up your sleeves are undeniable to the case.”
Both Onion Knight and Warrior of Light glanced up to the High-Judge, considering their positions and the evidence in their possession before both accepted Gabranth’s request.
Onion Knight slipped his hand inside his pocket, feeling the pouch of brown hair-stands.
(Soon...)
“Defence, please continue your cross-examination.” The High-Judge Gabranth commanded to Onion Knight.
“Yes, Your Honour.” Onion Knight accepted confidently, twisting back to Squall’s direction. “Squall, you explained to the court that you ‘warned Zidane that his elaborate prank would backfire on him’ and that you wanted ‘no part of it’. Tell me: if you could turn back time after knowing what would happen, would you’ve done more to stop him from carrying out his plan?”
Squall considered the question momentarily, reflecting on the conversation he had that very morning.
“No. I’d let it play out the exact same way.” Squall answered eventually, shaking his head with a firm expression.
Onion Knight widened his gaze in surprise, taken aback by the blunt opinion.
“But ... why? If you had another chance, you’d be able to prevent the attack on Rydia.” He then argued. “Why wouldn’t you take that opportunity?”
“Because Zidane would never repent for his sins, nor would he understand the consequences of his actions.” Squall retorted arrogantly. “He would just continue his pranks and inconvenience others in the process. Eventually, he’ll escalate his pranks to ridiculous levels, causing problems far beyond what happened the other day. People will end up gravely injured, property would be damaged, laws certainly broken ... all because he wanted to play childish games.”
(He's acting like he’s Zidane’s guardian angel.) Onion Knight wondered in his mind, finding Squall’s empowering mind-set repulsive. (What’s going on in his damn head...?)
Onion Knight shook his head in furious rejection.
“You can’t seriously believe that Zidane would-!”
“Objection!” Warrior of Light yelled in interruption, his patience running thin. “Stop addressing hypotheticals and stick to the topic, Onion Knight!”
“Objection Sustained.” The High-Judge stated in instant agreement, finding the conversation tiresome.
“Dammit...!”
(I need a different approach...)
With his previous lead resulting as a dead-end, Onion Knight reflected on Squall’s current Witness Testimony.
Upon scanning through his notes, he highlighted the quote referring to Zidane’s allegedly stating: ‘If anyone got in my way … they’ll suffer the consequences.’ It was the most frivolous statement of the entire testimony – if not, the entire case.
There was no evidence nor revealed context that reinforced the claim against Zidane, and yet the statement alone could further damage Zidane’s reputation permanently if Onion Knight ultimately lost the case.
However, as much as he desired to call ‘defamation of character’ on Squall's blatant lie, Onion Knight had no obvious piece of evidence to tackle the accusation. And, whilst he could bluff his way into coercing Squall to stumble on his own words, it would only be a fruitless attempt without the compelling evidence.
Placing the statement aside, he was left with one other option.
“In your testimony, you stated that you ‘carried on with your day’ and that you only found out about the results of the prank ‘after’ the incident occurred.” Onion Knight recounted as he called to the witness. “Squall, can you inform the court how you found out about the incident on the day?”
Squall glared at Onion Knight with condescending scorn, knowing exactly what Onion Knight intended in his questioning.
“Objection!” Warrior of Light called out hastily to shut down his opponent’s new approach. “Stop wasting the court’s time with these pointless questions, Onion Knight! This is clearly a set up to-!”
“No. Let me answer the question.” Squall then interrupted the Prosecution, accepting the challenge with an intense frown. “What’s the harm in adding some more context to the testimony?”
Both Onion Knight and Warrior of Light tensed up equally, unable to predict Squall’s mindset as they awaited his response.
“For the most part, the day up until the incident was as average as you can get.” Squall proceeded to explain, no hints of hesitation in his voice whatsoever. “Boring lessons, tedious topics, insufferable classmates: you know, the typical student life. And, of course, if you speak to any of Class 13A, they’d all confirm I attended those lessons – including our prestigious Defender and Prosecutor here.”
Warrior of Light and the reluctant Onion Knight nodded in confirmation, both agreeing they witnessed Squall attend those very lessons – along with Zidane and Bartz.
“Lunch Break was no different. I grabbed my lunch from the Dining Hall and ate my food outside … away from everyone else.” Squall continued. “After I finished, I stumbled into Cloud Strife and Tidus – who informed me that an incident happened right where Zidane planned to execute his prank.”
As Squall concluded his speech, silence filled the courtroom as everyone watched the stage with a blank stare.
“There. Now try and pick that apart.” Squall then provoked Onion Knight directly.
“Tch…!”
Onion Knight felt as though he was forced back by the stubborn Squall, knowing the Witness was shutting down any attempt to shift the blame from Zidane onto him.
“You know … that could’ve been its own testimony.” Terra murmured to Onion Knight casually.
“I’m not wasting my time picking apart that slog of a testimony.” Onion Knight murmured in an unimpressed response. “He’s trying to goad me on.”
“O-oh … right.”
Terra fell into an awkward silence, realising her comment was unhelpful in the current scenario.
(Although, that doesn’t rule out a possible contradiction…)
Onion Knight’s mind wondered, stoking his chin as he considered his next move.
(I know he’s lying … I just need to catch him out with the right piece of evidence…!)
He felt the pressure looming over him as numerous eyes shifted to his direction, expecting a response to Squall’s challenge. Warrior of Light, the High-Judge Gabranth, and even Prishe focused on him, awaiting to inevitable retort.
However, Onion Knight was struggling.
“Defence. Anything else you wish to question our witness before we move on?”
Gabranth’s low, booming voice echoed throughout the courtroom, pressuring Onion Knight to respond out of impatience.
“It’s pointless, Your Honour.” Warrior of Light shrugged mockingly, shaking his head at the poor excuse of a Defence. “He’s lost his edge. He has no evidence to counter the testimony nor any other way to bluff himself out of his rut.”
Onion Knight tensed up as he heard Warrior of Light’s scathing words yet prioritized his focus on the subject, knowing that rushing in unequipped would only lead to humiliation and ultimately losing the trial.
He retraced his steps, considered every piece of evidence at his disposal, and recollected every previous testimony that could potentially contradict Squall’s testimony and additional statement.
Regardless of outward appearances, he believed he had a piece of evidence that would overthrow Squall’s testimony and solidify his lead. However, no matter how hard scanned over his current ammo, no piece of evidence stuck out to him as an easy contradiction.
Onion Knight considered using the brown hair strands, yet he knew it would only backfire on him due to the illogical timing.
“Tsk...! Are we done now?” Squall murmured irritably, his feet shifting to the edge of the Witness Stand in preparation to leave.
“...”
Onion Knight switched to Zidane with a firm yet desperate glance, hoping to reassure his classmate and defendant that would not lose the case.
However, he was then met with Zidane staring back at him with an intense gaze, causing him to jolt in abrupt fright.
(‘...It has all of my notes and plans regarding the prank I was going to pull on Professor Gabbaini...’)
Onion Knight’s eyes widened as he heard Zidane’s word echo throughout his mind.
With time against him, Onion Knight rustled through his blazer pocket, praying the highlighted item was still in his possession.
“Onion Knight, what are you-?”
Fwip!
Emerging from his blazer pocket was a singular orange pocketbook.
Onion Knight scanned through its pages hastily ... and grinned eerily.
“If there’s nothing else to ask the Witness, then I see no need in keeping Mr Leonhart-”
“HOLD IT!!!”
Before the High-Judge could finish his statement, Onion Knight roared out in swift interruption.
“Oh, great...” Warrior of Light grumbled underneath his breath, predicting what would follow.
“Knight of the Onion, what’s the meaning of this?!” Gabranth questioned in bafflement, insulted by the rude interruption.
“I apologise, Your Honour. However...” Onion Knight proceeded to respond, switching his attention back on Squall with a determined glare. “We’re not done yet.”
The unimpressed Squall met eyes with the persistent Onion Knight, disappointed that he was forced back into the entire debacle at the last minute.
“Squall, I have one last question regarding your testimony.” Onion Knight informed as he straightened his posture, engulfed in overwhelming confidence that he skipped the High-Judge’s approval to proceed. “Could you please remind me: What was your response to Zidane when he asked you to be involved with the prank?”
Squall stared at the Defence Stand in condescending silence, feeling as though he was about to fall into a trap.
Warrior of Light was prepared to object Onion Knight’s obnoxious pursuit, and yet a minor part of him anticipated his opponent’s approach with morbid curiosity.
Although furious to be interrupted with such disrespect, Gabranth held his tongue – somewhat curious to see what the Defence had up his sleeve.
And then, with a low sigh, Squall answered Onion Knight’s eerie request.
“I declined.”
“OBJECTION!!!”
Just as Squall answered, Onion Knight bellowed out at the top of his lungs, pointing his finger directly at the Witness with unbreakable pride.
“You’re a liar, Squall!” Onion Knight then proceeded to accuse, yelling out as clearly as possible. “You accepted Zidane’s request for help!”
“OBJECTION!!!” Warrior of Light rebutted in desperate haste. “Where’s the proof!”
“Here's my proof!”
Fwoosh!
Fuelled with a burst of adrenaline, Onion Knight threw the pocketbook towards Warrior of Light’s direction – expected his opponent to catch it.
Slap!
However, due to the unexpected motion, the pocketbook missed its intended directory and slapped Warrior of Light directly in the face.
“Ow.”
The stone-faced Warrior of Light was stiff and emotionless as he peeled off the pocketbook from his face, his reaction delayed as he was unable to process the unpredicted occurrence.
“Read it and weep!” Onion Knight then called out in adrenaline-fuelled exaggeration, acting ignorant on the situation before him.
“Onion Knight ... was that really necessary?” Terra murmured to him with a half-open stare, acting unamused her associate's actions.
“Yes. Yes it was.” Onion Knight responded with a firm nod, flaring his nostrils with pride.
Warrior of Light read through the pocketbook with a thorough gaze, absorbing every detail to understand the perceived contradiction.
“Could you offer some context to the court regarding this … surprise evidence, Defence.” Gabranth requested in agitation, feeling out of the loop.
“Yes, Your Honour.” Onion Knight nodded in acceptance, restraining his excitement. “Warrior of Light is currently holding Zidane’s ‘Prankster NoteBook’, a collection of notes and drafts relating to his pranks – including logistics and associates involved.”
The High-Judge raised an eyebrow upon hearing the last section of Onion Knight’s statement, curious of the revelation’s extent.
“And guess whose name is mentioned frequently throughout the ‘Professor Gabbaini’ prank.” Onion Knight then teased, nudging his head towards Squall’s direction.
“Interesting…” Gabranth murmured in thought before indicating to Prishe. “Bailiff, if you would…”
“Yessir!”
Prishe leapt into action, approaching Warrior of Light to retrieve the pocketbook.
However, just as she was about to grab the evidence from the Prosecution’s hand, Warrior of Light spoke his mind.
“How does this prove Squall’s a liar?”
“Wait, what…?”
Onion Knight was blindsided completely, his adrenaline and excitement crumbling in an instant.
“This pocketbook only showcases Zidane’s ideas for his numerous pranks prior to acting on them.” Warrior of Light then addressed as he passed the book onto Prishe. “Squall is mentioned in the scribbles as a likely partner in crime but there is no, proof of validation regarding Squall’s involvement. If you expected this to be a dairy, you are sorely mistaken.”
Onion Knight stood bewildered, feeling as though he had hit an unexpected brick wall.
He attempted to defend his objection, and yet no word formed from his mouth – only stutters and inaudible noises.
He was at a complete loss.
“…”
The High-Judge received the pocketbook and proceeded to flick through the pages, analysing the section regarding the notorious prank as thoroughly as possible.
Both Warrior of Light and Onion Knight twisted to face the High-Judge, anticipating his opinion on the matter.
Warrior of Light’s expression was set in stone, confident that he disproved the contradiction. On the other hand, Onion Knight was fidgeting anxiously, verging on devastation if the contradiction was found invalid.
“Defence, do you have any other evidence to back up your claim?”
In that moment, despair fell on Onion Knight.
The pocketbook was the only viable evidence in his possession that alluded to Squall involvement with the prank. Whilst his Interrogation folder helped place doubt on Squall’s honesty during his time on the Witness Stand, it was not enough to reinforce Onion Knight’s current claim.
“Your Honour, I…” Onion Knight muttered as his voice trailed off.
“Speak clearly.” High-Judge Gabranth commanded with his booming voice, dissatisfied with the Defence’s hesitation.
Onion Knight stood frozen in place, unable to speak.
“Onion Knight…” Terra murmured to him, consumed with worry.
And then, Onion Knight sighed out.
“Your Honour, I don’t have supporting evidence on the claim.”
His damning words echoed throughout the Theatre Hall, the entire audience hearing him as clear as day.
No way…
…Did Onion Knight screw up…?
…What’ll happen now…?
Questions formulated amongst the audience, all wondering how Onion Knight’s blunder could affect the Defence’s position. Even several teachers were muttering to one another, debating their opinions on the new outcome.
The whispers continued to spread, echoing throughout the hall like birds twittering amongst the trees.
Bang-bang!
“Order in the court.” Gabranth commanded sternly, silencing the gossips immediately before proceeding with the situation. “Defence, the evidence presented fails to certify Mr Leonhart’s involvement with the defendant’s ‘prank’. Unless there’s irrefutable evidence to support your claim, I must decline the accusation and proceed with case.”
“NO! Your Honour, you can’t-!”
“OBJECTION!!!”
The entire courtroom shook as the mysterious voice bellowed out in sudden protest, cutting off Onion Knight’s plea instantly.
Every member of the court turned to face the voice’s owner, all completely shocked by the disruptive yell.
“F-Firion…?” Onion Knight murmured in an inaudible breath, blindsided completely by the interference.
Approaching the stage with his head held high and fists clenched with confidence was the court case’s Detective Firion.
“I apologise for the interruption, Your Honour.” Firion stated to the High-Judge formally, bowing to show his respect. “However, I cannot stand aside on this occasion … for I have the supporting evidence you request.”
“““*GASP!!!!*”””
The audience reacted in further shock and awe, all perched on the edge of their seats as they awaited the reveal.
The High-Judge Gabranth soothed his temple, feeling exhausted by the entire fiasco before answering Firion.
“Proceed.”
Upon hearing the confirmation, Firion stepped up towards the Judge’s Podium with a clenched fist up close to his chest.
Every pair of eyes watched him approach with piqued anticipation, wondering what the Detective had up his sleeve. Additionally, Warrior of Light watched on with severe caution, once again prepared to strike down the evidence when necessary.
In that moment, Firion held out his evidence – it was a singular USB Stick.
“Stored in this drive is footage of Zidane and Squall’s conversation, showcasing the former’s request for the latter’s involvement in the prank.” The Detective explained thoroughly, ensuring no detail is ignored. “The video is dated and timed: 14th September at 8:53am. The location is based at one of the tabled benches just outside of the Academy’s building, and the pocketbook is in full view of the camera.”
Gabranth glared at Firion in stone cold silence, processing the information before retrieving the device from the Detective’s hand.
“How did you acquire this piece of evidence?” Gabranth then wondered as he proceeded to set up the laptop and overhanging projector.
“During the twenty-minute recess, I returned to the Security Room and investigated the footage on the day of the incident once more.” Firion admitted in honesty, acting proud of his results. “It isn’t much, but … the footage speaks for itself.”
Just then, the video appeared before the High-Judge’s screen – along with the projector’s screen.
The details were exactly as Firion described: a series of benches displayed just outside of the Academy’s building, the date and time matching to Firion’s description, and – most importantly – Zidane and Firion sitting opposite one another on the bench closest to the camera.
As shown on the footage, the two were deep in conversation, Zidane pointing at the opened pocketbook with Squall glaring over the notes warily. Although fuzzy, the notes and scribbles on the opened pages matched the pocketbook’s pages of the planned prank considerably.
Throughout the footage, Academy students passed the duo obliviously, none of them curious to overhear their conversation or glance at the book on the table.
To them, it was an ordinary day.
Just then, the Zidane in the footage stared at Squall directly in the eyes and mouthed a very clear question – even though the footage was silent.
“…I really need you for this one, man.” He expressed to his friend, refusing to falter as he asked the very important question. “Are you in?”
Squall stared back in silence momentarily, considering the proposal.
And then, albeit subtle … Squall nodded.

Cross-Examination … Complete!

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment