Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - Baseball

Okay. I'm bored. Do not expect this to be a very good story. Not actually fanart of anything, because I can do that kind of stuff. :)

Chapter 1 - Baseball

Chapter 1 - Baseball
Achilleus Nelson 18:23 p.m. Friday 30th - “The Field” [/font]


SMACK! Bat and ball collided. Achilleus Nelson ran. The ball soared. First base. Akkie’s wiry frame carried him quickly. Second base. He risked a glance over his shoulder. The ball was soaring high over the outfield. Third base. He ran faster. Home base. The ball flew over the fence of the old parking lot they were using as a pitch. Home run. Of all the sports Achilleus played, baseball was his favorite.
“Akkie, that was amazing!”
Akkie turned to see his little brother, Toby, running across the field. Toby never actually played the game with them, but he was very enthusiastic about watching.
“Yeah, Aks, good hit! Did you see that ball fly! It must’ve gone all the way to Yettie Polk Park! Maybe even further! It must’ve gone all the way into the next county!” said Sam. Sam was an extreme motor mouth, but he was a good player, and a great friend.
“Akkie, it’s 6:30. You’d better be getting home.” Kate Walton was the only girl on the team. In the beginning everyone had underestimated her, but that phase was soon ended after she hit three home runs in a row. Her blonde ponytail coming loose under her hat, she walked over to him, blue eyes sparkling.
The way Akkie’s team played, there were no winners and no losers. When it was time to go home, they would all pack up and leave, then the next day they would pick up right where they left off. An endless baseball game.
“’Kay. I’ve got basketball practice with Coach tomorrow. I might not be able to show up ‘till later.”
“That’s alright.”
“’Kay, bye.”
“Good-bye!” Toby called back as they walked off the field.

“Mom?” Akkie called as he walked into the house. “Mom, I’m home!”
There was no answer. He walked into the living room, the kitchen, the bedrooms.
“Mom, Dad?”
Nothing.
“Maybe they went out somewhere.” Toby said.
“Maybe.”
The phone rang. Akkie picked it up.
“Hello, Mrs. Nelson?” It was Kate.
“No, it’s me, Akkie.”
“Oh.” Kate said.
“Who is it?” Toby asked.
“It`s Kate.” Akkie replied, covering the mouthpiece of the phone.
“I was wondering if I could come over to your place. My parents aren`t here.” Kate said through the phone.
“Mine aren`t either, but your welcome to come over.”
“’Kay, thanks.” Kate hung up.
“What’d she say?” Toby asked.
Akkie smiled at his 7-year-old curiosity.
“She said her parents weren’t home either. She’s coming over here.”
“Yay!” Toby loved hanging out with Kate.

There was a knock at the door.
“Hey.” Kate said from the doorway. “Can I come in?”
“Sure.”
Her lean, fit body stepped through the door, and Akkie noticed that she wasn’t wearing shoes. It wasn’t surprising though. Kate went around barefoot all the time. She had some tough feet, that girl, and she only wore her tennis shoes when she played baseball with the rest of the boys, and to school where they were required.
“Isn`t it strange that our parents aren’t home right now? I mean, mine almost never leave the house.” Kate mused.
“I know. My mom’s always home right about now.”
“Where do you think your dad is?”
“Oh, he’s probably still at work. He usually doesn’t show ‘till 9:00.”
“Oh well. No grown-ups means we get to raid the cookies!” Toby said.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment