Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 3 - Chapter Two: Love is Accidental

Can''t write a good enough summary without giving the story away. So just read and review.

Chapter 3 - Chapter Two: Love is Accidental

Chapter 3 - Chapter Two: Love is Accidental
One year later, Sonic's POV

"Come on Knuckles please?" Riley asked, I looked up from the book I was reading. Riley had grabbed Knuckles' jacket and was practically begging for something.

"What's wrong Kiddo?" I said putting the book down.

"The Echidnas are throwing a festival and I want to go! But Knuckles said no!" About two years ago, a few dozen Echidna's had managed to leave Albion and set up a small village near the Rainbow Valley. Though Knuckles insisted they leave, they said they were staying whether he liked it or not. It also helped that his family came with them.

"A festival? Well then how about I take you?" Riley's face lit up and she ran off to her room to get out of her training clothes. Whenever she went to train with Knuckles or Julie-Su she would wear a green tank top and a red vest with pockets. Knuckles gave me an accusing glare, "What?"

"And what about her training?"

"I may have agreed to only let you and 'Su do it all but I am not staying cooped up here. Yeah I understand how important it is for her to learn how to control her abilities but she needs a day off every so often." I began to walk to one of the other guest room that I was using, I opened the top of the dresser and pulled out a red t-shirt I pulled it on.

"What's with you and wearing clothes more?" Knuckles asked

I shrugged, "Why not? I didn't ask when you started wearing that hat and jacket of yours."

"I'll have you know that--"

"I'm ready Dad!" I looked over to Riley who was wearing her blue vest, her sunglasses and her new running shoes Uncle Chuck made for her, "How about you?"

I nodded, "All set, let's jet!" We walked to the door, "See ya Knux have fun." as soon as we closed the door we raced off heading twoards the Rainbow Valley.

0 0 0 0

Knuckles POV

That Hedgehog is such an @$$! I thought walking into the livingroom. Julie-Su was playing with Lara-Su, I sat on the couch and sighed.

"Sonic talk you into letting Riley have some fun?" 'Su asked teasingly

"I don't have a problem with giving Riley a day or two off, it's just," I sighed, "I don't know anymore dear."

"Hun, I think you're letting your guilt of what happened all those years ago turn into a phobia." I looked at her surprised, 'Su almost never brought up the Enerjak incident, well never did unless she was trying to make a point, "The Echidna's that have returned wouldn't have unless they themselves have forgivien you. So come on and loosen up.Maybe going to the festival ourselves will make you feel better."

"Or give me a panic attack." I countered.

Julie gave me a harsh look that made me flinch and caused Lara to giggle, "Knuckles we are going to go with or without you!" I swallowed.

"Fine, I'll come along, but I'm not going to enjoy it!"

Julie gave me a shove, "Oh please!" I laughed and got up.

"Alright let's have some 'fun'!"

0 0 0 0

Sonic's POV

"So how's the fried dough?" I asked Riley who grinned, the festival was spread around the village with different booths and shops selling tickets to shows and rides.

"It's great!" she then looked off, "Dad look, a fortune teller's shop! Let's go and get our fortunes told!" she grabbed my hand and pulled me towards the shop.

Mine's probably full of doom and gloom. I thought as we went through the beaded door. My nosed twitch as the smell of incense hit me. Maybe it's an old hag or something--

"Hello how may I help you?" I turned my head to the left to see a young female Echidna looking at Riley with a kind smile on her face. The first two dreads on each side of her head were dyed yellow and her hair was dyed the same color, the dreads on the rest of her head were crimped. She held them back slightly with a hemp braid that had green and yellow crystals tied in it. All four of her yellow dreads had the bottoms wrapped in hemp with pendants of a cloud, sun, moon, and star, she wore a purple short-sleeve shirt and a teal long skirt with a design of a white spot with a teal crescent moon. She also had a crescent moon choker around her neck.

My left ear twitched, Wow, um okay...she's...wow!

"Can we get our fortunes told?" Riley asked, the Echidna nodded giving her another smile.

"Oh of course! But I'm afraid you will have to wait I have another Client with me at the moment, and they need to get back to Mercia as soon as possible."

"Wait what--"

"Hail Sonic!" I turned and waved hello, Rob O' the Hedge, Mari-An and Jon were sitting around a brass bowl that was on a rug with crystals balls of different sizes and colors around it. "How art thou?"

"Eh, can't complain." I said shrugging, "You?"

"I have been most well." He then stood up and walked over to Riley and me, "Prithee, who would this young maid be?"

Riley grinned (I doubt she understood anything he was saying), "My name's Riley!" she held her hand to shake his, Rob took her hand and kissed the top the top of it. He then looked up at me.

"Since when hast thou become a father?" I looked back over to the Echidna who was talking with Mari-An.

"Long story, really don't wanna get into it."

"Okay that's all I see at the moment." The Echidna said looking at Mari-An, "You, Rob and your son will have many a happy year! Your Kingdom as well."

Mari-An sighed, "That's good to know, Rob dear? Did you hear that?"

"Aye, 'tis good news to my ears." he said I gave him a questioning look and he sighed, "Hard times have befallen my kingdom. 'Tis a sad sight to behold at the moment, but what this fortune teller hath said has made me feel better in my heart."

Riley noticed Jon and walked over to him as he stood up, "Hi what's your name?"

"Jon, yours?"

"Riley." Jon held out his hand and she shook it, "Nice to meet ya!"

"Aye, nice to meet you as well." I was still staring at the Echidna when she looked up at me and smiled. My ears twitched and flattened as I blushed and gave a sheepish wave.

Mari-An noticed what just happened and whispered something to Rob who snorted and began to chuckle, "What?"

Rob shook his head, "I said nothing." still chuckling

"No, but your laughing what's so funny?" I said

"My love just noticed you were as thou would put it, 'giving her the look'" He then took me by the shoulder and lead me out of the shop Mari-An following.

"What? No I wasn't!" I lied

"Sonic thou art about as good at falsehoods as thou art good at slowing down." he said giving me a wink, "If ye finds her pleasing to behold, then tell her, she might enjoy an invitation to sup with you."

"Your telling me to ask her out?!" he nodded and I sighed, "You really think I should? I haven't dated in over six years!"

"Dost thou find her attractive?" He demanded

"Yeah I-I guess."

"Then ask her, serenade her, do anything that will steal her heart."

I swallowed, "Okay I'll ask her out, can't believe I'm getting dating advice from a guy whose wife shoved him in the mud!"

Mari-An laughed as Rob kissed her on the cheek, "And it was love at first sight." She then went back inside, "Jon we're leaving."

"But mother, I wanted to play with Riley some more."

"Later, sweetie. Your Father and I have to go back to Mercia and we can't leave you here." Jon huffed and nodded. "It was nice meeting you Sonic." With a wave they left.

I sighed and walked back into the shop, "Okay so all you have to do is be careful and, you should have a good year."

Riley nodded and looked over to me, "Hi dad! Ms. Carol-An just told me that I'm going to have a good year."

So Carol-An is her name, hm

"I can do yours next if you want?" Carol-An said, I blushed and nodded.

"Sure, I'm game. Riley why don't you go outside and play on some of the rides, nearby." I handed her some money and she nodded and raced off.

Carol-An giggled, "Your sure she'll be fine on her own?" I nodded.

"Yeah she's got the fastest feet for a six year old." I smiled.

"Okay well come here, sit down, and take your shoes off." I blinked.

"Y-You sure you want me to do that?" I asked, "I mean really[/i] sure?"

"Yes it'll make your energy flow more readable,"

Oh something will flow alright I thought, "Why don't I j-just keep them on?"

"No take them off a little foot order isn't all that bad, I've smelt worse trust me." I shrugged, knelt down and began to take off my shoes.

So much for a chance at a date... I thought putting my shoes next to me as I sat down crossed legged.

"Okay now let's just..." Her nosed twitched and covered her mouth and nose, "By Aurora put your shoes back on!"

"I warned you!" I cried blushing all the harder, I then heard a snicker behind me, I whirled around to see Riley covering her mouth doubled over and with tears streaming down her face, "You could have warned me about the shoe bit!"

"No, you should have seen that mine were off dad! That would have been warning enough, but this was fun!" She winked and raced off again before I could blink.

"Your daughter has a very mature way of talking." Carol-An commented I shrugged, pulling my shoes on.

"She reads a lot." I rubbed the back of my head, "Listen I'm sorry about the shoes, and yelling at you."

Carol-An shook her head, "It's okay, we'll just do our best with your shoes on." She sat across from me and pulled out a bag of tea leaves.

"Uh listen I still feel really bad about yelling at you...why don't I make it up to you?"

"Are you asking me out?"

"Maybe, depends on your answer."

She didn't answer me instead she threw a small handful of leaves down onto the water. I looked over at her and blushed slightly, she looked back at me and said, "Okay now relax your body." I swallowed and let my body go as limp as I could. "Okay let me see..."

"Is everything okay?" she didn't answer right away. When I asked again she gave me an annoyed look.

"Listen don't be so impatient I need to concentrate."

I huffed and kept my mouth shut. After a few minuets she nodded and said, "You are the hardest person to read I ever had in my shop. It looks like danger but at the same time peace...I can't get a good read out at all!"

"What does that mean?" I asked starting to stand up.

Carol-An shook her head, "It means I have no idea what's in store for you."

"I thought you said you were a fortune teller?" I muttered.

"I AM it's not my fault that your destiny is so messed up!"

"I thought people like you were supposed to be able to un-mess it up." I snapped slyly.

"What is it and Hedgehog males being so dense!?!?!"

"Don't know. What's with Echidna's and having anger issues?!"

"Maybe you should slow down, that might make your destiny more readable!"

"Slow down ME?! Never!" I yelled back, "In case you haven't noticed I'm the fastest thing alive!"

"Yeah and in case you haven't noticed, YOUR passing YOUR life by!" she then pointed to the bowl, "And if you don't slow down and enjoy life, not to mention be a little less proud of yourself and your abilities, you'll regret it in the furture!"

"Oh so now you get something from those Hokus Pokus leafs!" I turned and stormed out, "To think she told me to slow down, HA! I'm in my prime, I'll slow down when I'm old and gray!" I found Riley who was playing a game eyeing a large Teddy Bear as she aimed and threw the ball knocking down all pins, I put on a happy face and called over to her, "Nice shot Kiddo!"

"Dad look what I won!" She yelled over to me as the Echidna pulled down the teddy bear and handed it to her. She raced over to me and asked, "So what did the fortune teller say?"

I shrugged, "That I'm going to have a good year." I lied, just then there was a loud clap of thunder. The sudden sound made Riley jump, as it started to pour, "Let's head home Kiddo." Riley nodded and we raced off for home.

0 0 0 0

Later that night I was watching T.V. with Riley when I heard her sneeze. I looked over and saw Riley shivering, her fur had paled along with her arms, stomach and muzzle, and her quills were down turned, "Riley are you feeling okay?"

She shook her head, "I feel stuffy and dizzy." I took off my glove and put my bare hand on her forehead yanking it away almost instantly.

"You're burning up! C'mon let's get you to bed." Riley blinked but it looked like she didn't hear me, I picked her up and carried her to her room. After I tucked her in and went to the sink, pulling out a bowl I filled it with cold water, "Mom used to do this whenever I had a fever," I said to myself shrugging. I had lived with my folks till I was twenty, so I had picked up a few tricks for when someone was sick. I pulled out a washcloth from the bathroom and went back into Riley's room. Riley had fallen asleep but she was panting and covered in cold sweat. That got me worried. I swallowed and took off my gloves again and soaked the washcloth in the water, after I put the damp cloth on her forehead she seemed to relax a bit. I sighed and got up, Riley almost never got sick.

"Sonic what's wrong?" I looked up and saw Julie-Su leaving Lara's nursery.

"Riley's got a fever."

Julie-Su looked worried then stern, "You guys ran in the rain didn't you?" I nodded, "And you didn't tell Riley to take off her socks, shoes and pretty much anything wet or she'd catch cold?" I shook her head.

And here it comes.. I winced as she slammed her fist into the top of my head.

"IDIOT!!! What kind of father are you?!"

"A good one?"

"Wrong answer hedgehog. You're a stubborn and impatient person. You're always running around and forgetting to do things a parent SHOULD, like make sure their child takes off their wet clothes so they don't go and catch a cold, or worse!"

"And if you don't slow down and enjoy life, not to mention be a little less proud of yourself and your abilities, you'll end up regretting it in the future!" I looked down guilty, Maybe people are right and I have to slow down... I sighed and looked back at her, "Don't you have a healer or a hospital in the village?"

Julie nodded, "Yes she's the fortune teller."

I moaned inwardly, Oh for the love of...anyone but her! I heard Riley moan and I raced in to see her tossing and turning, I ran into the bathroom and grabbed the ear thermometer and a plastic casing for it. I rushed back in and gently put the thermometer in her ear. BEEP I pulled it out, "Oh no..." the readout said over one hundred and five, "'Su can you wrap her up I'm going to get my shoes,"

"Why?"

"She's cooking from the inside, I don't have a choice now. I'm going to see Carol-An." I raced into my room and grabbed a dry pair of shoes and socks, along with a red tank-top and red hooded jacket. I was dressed and ready to go in a matter of seconds.

"Are you sure You'll make it alright?" I nodded putting my hood up and taking Riley in my arms.

"No prob Julie!" I said, Julie opened the door and I zoomed out, It should take me only about five minuets to get there she'll be safe! I thought racing through the trees.

"Damien! Hey Damien where on Mobius are you!?" My ears pricked as I heard a familiar voice in front of me, I tried to put the breaks on but the ground was still soaked from the storm.

"Shadow look out!" I yelled, Shadow looked behind him and moved to the left allowing me to skid to a stop without hitting him, "You really need to start wearing reflectors or something at night."

"What is your hurry Blue Hedgehog?" he asked noticing Riley moaning, "What's wrong with her?" he looked concerned, at least I think it was you never know with that guy.

"She's got a fever, a bad one I need to get going Shadow, I'll fight with you later..." I raced off, a few seconds later Shadow had caught up with me, "What is it now?! I'm in the middle of something!"

"Have you seen my son?" He said bluntly

"No." I replied flatly the village in sight, I picked up speed and skidded to a stop in front of Carol-An's door. I began to kick the door screaming, "Carol-An open up I need you to help Riley!"

The door opened and Carol-An' head poked out, man what I sight I must have looked some mad hog, standing there with a black hedgehog, and my daughter in my hands, not to mention covered in mud up to my knees. "Come in Sonic." she said softly, "And who is that?"

"I am Shadow." Shadow stated.

"What's wrong with her, oh and it's nice to meet you Shadow."

"She's running a high fever," I looked down and muttered miserably, "it's my fault, I wasn't paying attention--"

"Are you admitting you made a mistake Blue Hedgehog?"

"Shut up Faker!" I snapped as Carol-An took Riley blankets and all and put her on a fold up couch. Just then I heard the door open and slam shut I turned around to see what looked like a clone of Shadow, even down to his annoyed look.

"Daddy! I thought I said to meet me by the by the oak tree near the eastern side of the village!" he then walked up to me, "Who are you?"

"I'm Sonic the Hedgehog."

"I'm Damien nice to meet you Mr. Sonic." Damien smiled and held out his hand after I shook it he looked over to Riley who was squirming and moaning, "What's her name? And what's wrong with her?"

I looked down and said, "Her name's Riley, and she's very sick at the moment." Damien blinked and walked over to Riley.

"Be careful Damien you may get sick as well." Carol-An said looking worried.

Shadow chuckled, "He is like me Carol-An, he never gets sick."

"And how do you know that?"

"Because I helped him when Mommy was very sick after my little sister was born. Daddy said that it was highly contagious but I didn't get sick like Mommy and neither did Maria." he said looking at Riley and touching her forehead, "Wow, it's like she's on fire!"

Carol-An nodded, "Yes, and we need to break it before there's serious damage. Damien what don't you bring me that jar of green paste the one on the left." Damien nodded and I stepped forward.

"Um, is there anything I can do?" she shot a look back at me, "Or I can sit down shut up and let you work..." I swallowed, and sat down on the floor crossing my legs, Shadow did the same and I noticed that he was wearing a pair of green cargo pants, and a brown belt and empty gun holster.

I opened my mouth to ask but Shadow said, "Amy said I should wear something other than the fur on my back, and these," he lifted his hand to show he was wearing a different pair of gloves too, he was still wearing his Inhibitor Rings, but the gloves were green with nothing covering the fingers just holes that had steel around the two openings for the thumb and fingers, "I was bored and decided to change them too." I looked at his hand and noticed that the markings that started at his shoulder went down and covered both his middle and ring finger.

"I had no idea your markings went down that far."

"Yeah, neither did I." I nodded and uncrossed my legs and drew them up to my chest, wrapping my arms around them. "You are worried?"

I nodded putting my chin on my knees, "What father wouldn't worry?" I said that more to myself then to Faker, "It's high time I got off that high horse of mine ya know?" I watched as Carol-An applied some of her paste to Riley's mouth which she held open.

"What high horse?" Shadow asked.

"C'mon you've been saying for years that I can be a Self-Obsessed @$$-Hog right?" he nodded, "Oh and let's not forget impatient, stubborn, hard-headed," I looked back over to Shadow who had a smug look on his face, "you know you can stop me at anytime."

"I know."

I sighed, "The point is, Riley got sick because I've been to careless, I pretty much let her run herself ragged, and I forget to tell her to do certain things. Like making sure to take a break every now and then."

"Then again it could be because you're just not one to slow down. And because of that, you think Riley's the same way," Carol-An said getting up, "Her fever's broke so I think she'll be fine. Oh and thank you Damien for being such a big help, maybe with a little training you could become a fine doctor."

Damien stuck out his tongue, "Bleh! No way," he then looked up at Shadow, "when I grow up I'm gunna be like Daddy!"

"What's that mean your going to be an arrogant, emo?" Shadow shot me a look of pure venom and I gave a cheap grin.

Damien laughed, "No, I'm going to be a top Commander for G.U.N. just wait and see!"

Shadow gave me a smirk, "Oh I forgot to mention I got promoted to Commander."

I huffed, "What do you want a medal?"

Shadow rolled his eyes and pulled out the green Chaos Emerald, "Come on Damien we are going home."

"Okay Daddy, bye Mr. Sonic it was nice meeting you."

I waved as Shadow shouted, "Chaos Control!" there was a bright flash and he was gone along with his son.

I sighed again, got up, and went over to Riley's side, "I'm sorry Kiddo." I muttered

"Stop beating yourself up Sonic, kids get sick all the time." I nodded, "Though it's nice to see you trying."

I looked up at her, "Trying what?"

"To slow down. It's kind of endearing."

I blushed, "Look I'm sorry about today, I have kind of a short temper."

She sat down next to me, "Truth be told it's my fault, I did see something but I was scared to tell you."

"What?"

"I'm not going to say, but it was good," She looked at me and smiled, "very good."

"Then why don't you tell me?"

Carol-An shook her head, "Nope," she giggled, "Some things aren't meant to be known, they must be found out." she then touched my shoulder which sent shivers through me, and not the bad kind, "Riley's going to be fine, why don't you get some sleep."

I shook my head, fighting back my own exhaustion, "I'm not tired." I lied

"Okay then I'll make some tea, do you want some?" I nodded.

"Yes please." I muttered.

She left for the kitchen and I turned around and looked at Riley, who was sleeping peacefully. She rolled over and smiled, She must be having a good dream I thought touching her forehead, it was still hot but not as much. I stood up and called to Carol-An, "Is there a chair anywhere?"

"In here by the table." She called back, I walked in and made for the kitchen table.

I looked over to Carol-An, "Uh, listen, I'm sorry about coming so late..." she walked over to me as I sat down blushing, "I can make it up to you, how's dinner sound?"

"You already have." I looked up confused and saw that her eyes were red, it looked like she had been crying for hours. Before I could ask why she kissed me.

My eyes widened from surprise, What the... I didn't know what to think, but then again, This feels...okay... before I could make a move to do anything, she pulled back, her red-orange fur becoming dark red.

"I-I'm sorry, I-I don't know what came over me..." She ran out of the kitchen.

Great I blew it and I didn't do anything... I thought huffing and getting up, I walked out into her front room.

"Sonic can you take Riley and put her in the guest room down the hall and to the right?" Carol-An asked.

I nodded, "Yeah, sure thing." I picked up Riley and walked down to the end of the hall, and found a simple room with a small bed, after I tucked her in I walked back into the living room. Carol-An was sitting on the couch, with two cups of tea on the coffee table that she had moved in front of the couch. I sat down next to her and grabbed a cup and took a sip, "Green Tea?"

Carol-An nodded, "Yeah it helps strengthen ones immune system." then all of a sudden tears came to her eyes and she began to cry putting her face in her hand.

"Whoa, hey what wrong?" No answer just more tears, "Aw c'mon don't cry..." I took her chin and had her look me in the face, tears streaming down her face, "If it's about the kiss, well I liked it..." She looked at me and smiled, which made me feel real good, though she was still crying, I hugged her, no idea why I just did. I then pulled her away and held her shoulder, she had stopped crying and that made me smile.

"Thank you Sonic."

"Don't mention it." I said Kiss her you moron! I screamed at myself, I moved as she moved and soon our lips were locked, it felt like I was floating.

0 0 0 0

Knuckles POV

My eye twitched, I turned around and flew home, Does he even know who she's related to?! I thought landing near the door.

"What's wrong Knuckles?" I looked up and saw Julie-Su walking out of the door.

"Sonic's making out with that healer."

"Well it's about time she found someone!"

"WHAT!?" I flung my arms out, "'Su do you even know who she's related to?"

"Yes, and why should that make a difference? Did it make a difference with me?"

"...No." I said looking down.

"Then why should it for her? If she love Sonic and he loves her back then I say woo-hoo!" she said putting her hands on her hips.

"Alright, but I'm going back to talk to her, and to give her a proper warning." I flew off before Julie-Su could say anything. As soon as I landed I went over and knocked on the door, "Carol-An it's me open up!"

"Guardian what do you want Sonic and Riley are both sleeping, and so was I." she said opening the door.

I pushed it the rest of the way open surprising her, I looked over to see Sonic sleeping, one of his arms hanging limp near his side, "Did you even tell him who you are related to?"

Carol-An huffed, "No, and I don't plan to, he's as much as a family member to me as Remington's pet Llama." she then pointed to me, "And why should it matter? My Soul touch showed me that we are meant together and so didn't the leaves." She pointed to an empty brass bowl, "I know you have a hard time believing me but would you just give me the benefit of the doubt for once!"

"Huh, wha..." Sonic moaned and looked at me with half-opened eyes, "Knuckles what are you doing here?" he yawned and stretched

"Her cousin's Dr. Finitevus!" Carol-An gave me a mortified look as she backed away tears coming to her eyes.

"How could you?!"

"'An he's your what?"

"Distant cousin and I mean distant." she said giving me a look of pure venom.

"How distant are we talking?"

"Let's just say we aren't getting any Christmas cards from him anytime soon." she said her hands curling into fist tears streaming down her face, "Seeing as the Guardian told you before I broke it to you gently I guess that means you want nothing to do with me right?"

"Wrong."

I blinked as Sonic put his arm around her to comfort her, "W-What?" she asked, "But I thought--"

"If it's as distant as you say it is I'm fine with it, besides I have my own relatives that aren't so good....Well if you want to call him a relative." she gave him a confused look, he sighed and went back to the couch, "Ya see I have this evil twin of sorts, Scourge, but thankfully he's rotting away in a cell in the No Zone at least I think he is."

"You mean you don't know?" she asked he shook his head blushing.

"No, ya see," he chuckled, "Zonic's been a little busy lately with this Dr. Nega, so I haven't been able to ask him yet."

"Well it's not like Scourge was given a chance for parole anyway the crap he's done, he'd be put away for life." I said shrugging.

"But your really okay with it?" Carol-An asked looking up at Blue with concern, he nodded.

"Yeah and even he did show up--"

"Ha I'd die from surprise if he ever did!" she said laughing.

Sonic laughed, "Well even so, I'd spin-dash him a new one." he said giving her a thumbs up, "And leave whatever's left to Knucklehead."

I glared at him, "Fine have fun, how's Riley holding up?"

"I checked her before I fell asleep her fever's gone, and she's sleeping soundly." Carol-An said Sonic yawned again.

"Yeah and I bushed, so hurry back to your place and next time don't try to spoil something...Or anything for that matter." Sonic said he said shoot me a serious look.

I sniffed, "Fine, I won't." and I turned to leave, Heh, that worked like a charm I thought, Guess Sonic's serious about the two of them oh well, I flew off back home, I just hope it'll last.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment