Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - Untitled

Lizzie has an idea to help to pet store she works in to raise more money.

Chapter 1 - Untitled

Chapter 1 - Untitled


The Animal Parade

By Leeann Sausser



Ding! My alarm clock rang. Boy was I lucky that this was the last day of school! Then my animal shelter job with my friend Kate would begin!

“Elizabeth Marie Andrews! Did you hear that alarm clock!” my mom shouted.

“Yes!” I shouted as I hopped into my socks and sneakers. My little sister, Jane, was already eating her waffles. My mom was brushing her long blond hair into a ponytail. I grabbed a plate of waffles and sat down.

“Mom, Lizzie's eating too fast!” Jane said. Though she was a nine-year-old, two years younger than me, she was still a pest sometimes. When my mom moved to my hair she gave me `The Look'.

“Lizzie,” my mom said. “Do you ever brush your hair?”

“Mom,” I said. “You said you would brush it for me.

“Even if I did say that you are going to start brushing your hair.”

“Oh!” cried Jane. “The bus is here” We ran outside and just caught the bus. I thought we would miss it for sure!

“You made it!” Kate cried.

“Lucky me.” I said.

“Are you O.K.?” Kate asked.

“I HATE SCHOOL!” I shouted. Everyone in the bus turned around. I smiled. Then the bus stopped in front of Parker Elementary. “Saved,” I muttered.

“What?” Kate asked.

“Nothing.” I replied. We came of the bus. Then, we went inside. A little seven-year-old took a teacher's headband. All the teacher's bangs fell on her face. She looked like my horse's tail. I tried not to laugh, but I couldn't help myself.

“Miss Andrews,” the teacher turned around. I gulped. It was my teacher, Ms. Day. She was very mean. “Do you find something funny about this?”

“No ma'am.”

“Then off to class.” she said. I was glad it was the last day of school.





Ring! Ring! “Lizzie! It's Kate on her bike to pick you up!” shouted Jane. I smiled. Last week Katie and I had started helping at Casey's Animal Shelter. It was so cool. They had dogs, cats, birds, and even horses!

“Elizabeth!” my mom shouted. “Kate is not going to stay on the porch all day!” I ran downstairs and into the garage to get my bike. I took it out.

“Come on!” Kate said. We pedaled all the way to C.A.S. (Casey's Animal Shelter). Then we went in.

“There you are!” said a young girl named Casey. She owned the shop. She gave as are name tags, then led us the check in counter. We put on the sign-in paper:

Lizzie Andrews and Kate Goodman

I went over to the dogs. Kate went to the cats. I went to my favorite dog named Chipper. I fed him and all the other dogs. Before I went to the horses I said to Chipper, “We'll be together some day.” Then an idea came to my head.

“Kate,” I said looking over at the bird section. “I have something to tell you when we do the fishes.”

“O.K.” she said. I rushed through feeding the horses and ran to the fishes. Kate came in soon after.

“O.K.” I said. “How about we have a pet parade? The fishes could ride in wagons pulled by Jane, your sister Alice, and my cousin Jeff. The dogs would be walked by me, you, Beth from school, and more kids!”

“What about the birds? And the horses?” asked Kate.

“Some people can ride the horses and the birds can have rides in wagons too. Jane and Alice should have plenty of friends!” I said

“Let's ask!” exclaimed Kate.







“This is a wonderful idea!” said Casey. “Now people will see what nice animals we have!” I just smiled. Then Casey ran up to the stage and said, “Now, introducing, Casey's Animal Shelter!” The horses went first, then the birds, the fishes, than us, the dogs! All the other animals came behind. I was holding Chipper's leash. Kate walked beside me holding a dog named Snowflake's leash.

“I'm glad Casey said yes to your idea, Lizzie.” Kate whispered in my ear. I nodded. “It feels more fun than I thought it would be.” Kate smiled. Too soon the parade ended. I put Chipper in his cage while Kate put Snowflake in her cage.

“Girls,” Casey said, coming up behind us. “How would you like your own pet?” I gasped.

“Yes!” Kate and I said at the same time. I took Chipper back out of his cage and Kate went to get Patty the Parrot, the bird that Kate could talk to.

“Thank you!” we said at the same time. Casey also gave me a leash, dog food and a food dish. I bought a water bowl and Casey gave me the cage for half price. Kate got a bird cage (which was also half price) and parrot food. I hugged Casey hard.

“Thank you!” I said over and over. I've loved Chipper ever since.





The End








Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment