Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 2 - Fighting Fire with Fire

This is a story that I was writing for language arts class originally, but It was fairly long for the assignment so I decided to show it off here!! ;D

Chapter 2 - Fighting Fire with Fire

Chapter 2 - Fighting Fire with Fire
It had been several months since Khrysor arrived at the new territory. Khrysor was growing bigger, faster, smarter, and best of all, stronger. He looked up to his father Royce because that’s what Khrysor knew he wanted to be. A leader. Maybe he could even be the leader of Thunder Herd! But Rauni would eventually barge in on that thought.

Rauni had grown a lot too. He was much more muscular, and he was almost faster than Arelus, Rauni’s father, who was the fastest horse among the herd.

One night, a mysterious horse was wandering about on Thunder Herd’s rightfully owned territory. It came closer to the field where they slept. Khrysor was keeping guard that night, and had spotted it’s pure black flank in the midst of night. Khrysor was about to attack, but the horse didn’t appear to show a pose of threat. Should he, or should he not? Fighting was a dangerous thing when it came to intruders. You couldn’t possibly know what to expect. But Khrysor knew he had to. For the sake of the herd. It was better to be safe than sorry. Right before Khrysor had the chance to attack the intruder, Rauni seemed to be almost flying above Khrysor’s head. Rauni seemed to be taking not his responsibilities, but Khrysor’s responsibilities into his own matter! How dare he! Khrysor had had enough with Rauni taking charge. Khrysor let out a furious neigh, and bolted past Rauni, purposely knocking him down. Khrysor charged toward the intruder, but before he could reach the black mysterious horse, Rauni was already at him! “Rauni, this is my job!!” Khrysor neighed furiously. Rauni didn’t answer, but kept fighting the intruder. Khrysor was outraged. He sprang onto Rauni, taking his teeth into Rauni’s flank, heaving him off. Khrysor hissed through gritted teeth to the intruder. “What brings you here?” The intruder glared at Khrysor. “I’m just passing through! Now get off of me and stop this nonsense!!” Khrysor was taken aback by the intruder’s disrespectfulness. But then of course Rauni just had to barge in. “Then get out of Thunder Herd territory!!” Khrysor had had plenty enough of Rauni and screeched, “Rauni get out of here! This is not your night to guard, so I don’t see your purpose of being here!!” Rauni looked away. Khrysor turned his attention back to the intruder. Khrysor noticed how skinny the intruder was, and said, “If you’d like to stay a night, maybe Royce will let you,” Khrysor said firmly. “Khrysor, are you insane?!” Rauni again blurted. “I don’t think Royce would li-“ Rauni was cut off. “Of course he can stay a night,” Royce’s voice stood out in the silence of the night. “What shall we call you by?” Royce kept his gaze on the intruder. “My name is Abenaki,” the horse announced. “Abenaki, alright. Well, we shall be heading back to the field. Please follow me Abenaki,” Royce asked politely.

It was the day after Abenaki had arrived, and Khrysor had not spoken to Rauni ever since. Abenaki didn’t seem the friendliest, and there seemed to be something suspicious about him. Khrysor brushed it off of his shoulders and grazed in the field for awhile.

Supposedly, Royce let Abenaki stay with the herd as long as he wanted to. Khrysor could tell Rauni wasn’t too happy about the thought.

It had been another handful of weeks to where Royce began to actually trust Abenaki. Khrysor still didn’t feel all too comfortable with Abenaki. Something just wasn’t right. He was sure other horses could sense it too. Asteria and Akama could always tell when something wasn’t right. But yet they seemed relaxed about Abenaki. Along with the rest of the herd. They let their guard down awhile ago too. Were Khrysor and Rauni the only ones? Surely not. Athena hadn’t talked to Abenaki at all, so maybe she sensed something too! Maybe Arelus? He was a very wise horse, and tried always to choose the right. Anyhow, nobody was taking the concern into their matter, and eventually, someone had to. And that someone was Khrysor, before Rauni would take charge or the situation.

The next day, Khrysor debated whether to tell Royce about his beliefs or not. Abenaki didn’t seem to pose a threat to the herd, just yet, but Khrysor knew deep down in his heart, that something would happen! “Should I wait? Or should I go ahead and tell Royce? Surely he would take my beliefs seriously, right?” Khrysor thought. “Of course! He’s my father! What reason do I have to keep away from telling?” Khrysor was positive to tell Royce about the situation. But now? When? Definitely before Rauni got a say about it. Khrysor hoofed the ground while snorting, sending big puffs of air out of his nose. He decided to tell Royce, and looked around the field to speak with him. After he spotted Royce, grazing alone, Khrysor trotted over to his father. “Royce,” Khrysor began. “Yes Khrysor?” Royce rose his head respectfully to his son. “Wha-“ Khrysor cut himself off, luckily spotting Abenaki clopping over to them. “Hello Royce, Khrysor.” Abenaki said Khrysor’s name with just a hint of disgust. Royce didn’t seem to notice.

“Well, hello there Abenaki,” Royce greeted. “Erm, Khrysor, what were you about to say?” Royce once more focused his gaze on Khrysor. “Umm, I…” Khrysor couldn’t think! He couldn’t discuss the matter with Abenaki right there!! Khrysor thought fast. “Umm, I was just going to ask If I could graze here with you?” Khrysor turned it into a bit of a question, not questioning Royce, but himself. “You don’t have to ask that,” Royce looked awkwardly at Khrysor. “Of course you can. Always,” Royce finished his sentence. “Abenaki, why don’t you settle yourself with us here too?” Royce invited. “A pleasure,” Abenaki nodded his head.

Grazing with Abenaki’s stare blazing into his flank wasn’t the most pleasant grazing time he had experienced. Khrysor’s flank twitched a few times, showing his caution clearly toward Abenaki. Khrysor couldn’t put up with it anymore. He rose his head and broke the silence. “I’m going to go take a rest, maybe sleep until tomorrow. It’s getting late,” Khrysor announced. “Goodnight then,” Royce said in-between bites.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment