Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 2 - Chapter 2

Rory wants to become a syari warrior.How far will she go and how much will she sacrifice to fufill her life dream?(sry ppl this is the 1st time i've ever written a story so sry if its bad.I'll get better (i hope^-^) there'll b more chap...

Chapter 2 - Chapter 2

Chapter 2 - Chapter 2


Rory woke up warm and could smell some herbs. Her eyelids fluttered open. Her mother… was standing with her back to Rory, tending the fire. “Good you're awake.” Blinking, Rory wondered how she could tell she was awake. “How long have I been asleep?”

“4 days.” Came the calm reply.

“4 days?!”

“Yes Rory. Four days. 1…2…3…4. You had a fever, but you're strong and recovered quickly. By the way, George came by a few times, wanting to see you.”

“Is he okay? May I go see him? How many times is a few?” Rory asked all this in one breath.

“Slow down Rory. He came 3 times. And yes Rory, you may go see him, but not for too long. I think I'll want to keep you inside for a while. No more skating for a bit. We need to improve your cooking.” Her mother replied. “And no `buts'.”



Slowly Rory got dressed and went over to George's. He was happy to see her. “Hey Ree.” George smiled, “How are you doing?” Rory smiled back. “Good, have the Syari warriors arrived yet?”

George shook his head. “Nay, they're 3 days away.

Rory sighed with relief. Good I haven't missed them, she thought.





“But-” Rory argued. “No buts. You're getting older, you're already 11 and you can't cook. You should already be able to cook and clean so-” Letting out an exasperated sigh, Rory rolled her eyes, “So when I get married, I'll be a good wife…I don't want to get married! I want to become a Syari warrior.”

“Ree, only boys are Syari warriors. You'll change your mind when you get older.”

“But-“

“Keep stirring and don't let that burn.” Her mother instructed.

Just five days after Rory's dunking in the pond, and she was working double time.





As Robin and Rory were getting ready for bed they talked. “Hey Ree? Why do you want to be a Syari warrior so badly? That's what boys do.” Robin wrinkled her nose

“That's just it,” Rory said, “They've never given girls a chance. I bet we could de it better than some boys.”

“But mother won't let you be one; she wants you to be a lady. A wife of an important person from our village.”

“Well, I'm sorry but that is not going to happen.” Rory stated firmly.

“We'll what can you do?” Robin looked at her sister and understood what she meant. Eyes wide, she gasped. “Ree, you wouldn't! You wouldn't run away!”

“I would,” Rory replied grimly, “If I have to.”



The next evening, after dinner, there was an excited knocking at the door. Robin answered it. A breathless boy from the village managed to gasp out, “They're here! They're here! The Syari Masters are here!” Heart thumping, Rory tried to conceal the eager grin that was spreading across her face. That night, she went to bed early. When she heard the steady, even breathing of her mother, she crept out of bed. Robin turned over and then all of a sudden sat straight up. “Ree?” Rory put a finger to her lips. “Are you leaving?” Rory nodded. “Now?” Rory shook her head. “I just have to gather up some things and cut my hair and I'll be off.”

“Your hair?! But Ree, it's beautiful!” Came the fierce whisper. Robin paused then sighed. “Well if you must, I'll help you.”

Robin helped Rory cut her hair. When she was finished, locks of shiny black hair lay on the floor. Rory went about collecting this and that. When she was finished she returned to where Robin was standing. Her eyes bright with tears, Rory hugged Robin tightly. “Goodbye Robin.”

“G-goodbye Rory…” came the sniffled reply. Rory slipped out the door and was gone. Robin stood, rooted to the spot. She held up the black tresses against her cheek and let the tears come.


Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

shadow_girl_1313 on February 14, 2006, 1:12:46 PM

shadow_girl_1313 on
shadow_girl_1313ohh! man this is awsome!! you know you're going to have to writ more! more more more!! and more until it's done!