Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - Chapter 1

a spirited girl with black hair and dancing lotus blue eyes.
A girl who was named for the night...

Chapter 1 - Chapter 1

Chapter 1 - Chapter 1


The voices called her. They wanted her to come and join them. She refused the pleas. Yet the hands reached out to her, calling her name…



Lotus blue eyes shot open. Gasping for breath Nisha sat up. It was that dream again. The one she'd had many times. What could it mean? Perspiration beaded her forehead. A knock came at her door. “Miss? Your mother asked that I come wake you.” She rolled her eyes, there was that same maid, she was always so nervous. Nisha reluctantly pulled herself out of the comfort of her warm blankets. “Tell her that I'm coming.” She swung her feet around and put them on the ground. Quickly she pulled them back, for the floor was ice cold. “Chhaya? Do you know where my slippers are?” Chhaya scurried in with the blue slippers. “Sorry miss. I was just keeping them out of the way. You see they were kind of dirty so I was just washing-”

“Thank you, I do believe that's fine.”

Head bobbing, Chhaya backed out of the room. Nisha sighed and dragged herself upright. She walked over to her mirror and sat down. Picking up her brush she started to brush her glossy black curls. She lined her eyes with kohl and colored the top of her eyelids a gold colored brown. Reluctant to finish getting ready, she waited a few moments before calling Chhaya into her room. Chhaya scurried in yet again. She picked up a hot iron and curled tendrils of hair around Nisha's face as to soften the strong angle of her face. Quickly, Nisha walked over to her wardrobe. From there she chose a red sari. Gold slippers, and finally she was ready. Nisha walked slowly down the stairs. She dreaded breakfast with her mother. Every time they talked seemed to lead to finding a good husband for her. Was that all her mother ever thought about? Her mother was leaning towards her cousin Ashtok. Nisha did not know what to think for she had never seen her cousin before and every time she asked about him her mother would scowl at her and ask if looks were so important. That's what got her scared. Was he ugly? It wasn't that she was vain…well not really. She just didn't want to have to marry a man who cares for naught but himself or someone who never worked a day in his life and was soft and had no muscle. Not that she ever worked a day in her life but she was not fat. Nisha was slim and graceful. She could be quiet, sometimes but she always knew what she wanted. You could say she was spoiled, but it never showed. Well not often unless you count bad moods. Normally when Chhaya would come to get her she would be in a bad mood because she loathed breakfast with her mother. It wasn't even that she hated her mother, but her mother wasn't one for much sense. She was rather over sweet and loved parties and gossip. Nisha never quite enjoyed all of that kind of silliness.

“Nisha darling!” her mother called. “Stop lingering on those stairs and come down here.”

Slowly, very slowly Nisha made her way down the stairs. This was one of those days. “Yes maji.” she called back. Barely had she sat down before her mother started talking. “Nisha, must you call me mother all the time? Can you not just say “yes”? Darling, don't roll your eyes it is very unbecoming. Well now that I've said that, what would you like for breakfast? A mango? Some fruit? No just a mango…don't want you to become chubby. That's a dear. Well actually we'll just get you some grapes too perhaps? Chhaya!-” at this time she rang a small silver bell. Nashi groaned inwardly. She hated mangoes. She didn't mind grapes as much. Her mother did not notice her face, for when Chhaya hurried into the room her mother ordered exactly that. “Chhaya, a mango….and some grapes.” After Chhaya left, her mother started talking again. “There's a party this evening. We're going of course. I think you should wear that absolutely precious blue and silver sari. The nice silver head piece too. Maybe a suitable man will be there.” Nashi didn't answer for all of a sudden she felt rather sick. Her head pounded. She put a finger to her temple, her mothers words were slurring together. “Nashi? Darling? Are you okay? You look rather pale.” Her mother peered at her. “My head hurts maji. That's all.” Unfortunately that was not all for in the next moment Nashi collapsed out of her chair and into a heap on the floor. The last clear thought she had was: I wonder if this has anything to do with my dream? But oh my head hurts….




Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

shadow_girl_1313 on February 14, 2006, 1:13:58 PM

shadow_girl_1313 on
shadow_girl_1313it's me agian! AWESOME! maybe you and i could write a story together

heavensent92 on December 15, 2005, 9:58:43 AM

heavensent92 on
heavensent92hey umm its me...dunno why everyone faints in the beginning or collapses or w/e but o wellz..i'll see what i can do in another one...
can someone comment cuz i don't know if i am like any good at all or if im like horrible so..yeaahh thanks

(oh yea and it's Ashok not ashtok ^-^")