Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 2 - Chapter 2

a spirited girl with black hair and dancing lotus blue eyes.
A girl who was named for the night...

Chapter 2 - Chapter 2

Chapter 2 - Chapter 2


Nisha was swimming in a deep dark pool. It was quiet and the water was silky on her skin, she never wanted to leave. Voices, like the ones in her dreams whispered across her mind. A real noise came close; she tried to swim further under the surface. Little good that did. She wished the sound went away. “Nisha?” The voice came floating through the water to her ears. “Nishaaa?”

Slowly her eyelids fluttered open. Her mother was kneeling on the floor next to her looking into her eyes. A damp cloth was on her forehead. She sat up lightly and looked around “What happened?” Her mother's brow was furrowed, “Darling, you fainted. Goodness gracious you gave me a fright.” Nisha inwardly sighed. Oh dear, a fright ! Whatever would happen now, she thought sarcastically. “Maji-” Her mother gave her a pointed look. Nisha continued “I am fine. Really I am.” Her mother looked at her skeptically but slightly hopefully. Nisha could see she was dying to go to the party. She grimaced to herself as she said “Um... We could go…to the party.” With an ecstatic grin her mother threw her arms around her neck. “Oh that's just perfect. You will wear that blue and silver sari no?” Nisha sighed. If a person could die from sighing Nisha would be dead by now. Her mother was just like a gossiping girl. She was never serious and would never come off as a person to talk to for advice. Not like Nisha was very serious, with her eyes that sparkled when she was truly happy and her carefree spirit. “Ma-” another meaningful look from her mother “um... I'm going to go upstairs for some rest before the party?”

“Of course dear, go on. Make sure you wake up in time to prepare. Do you want me to send Chhaya up to wake you?”

“Oh no” Nisha hastily said, “I'll wake up on my own.”

“Alright. I'll see you this evening before we leave.”



Dragging her feet Nisha trudged up the stairs. In a second- “Nisha? Don't drag your feet darling, you'll ruin your slippers” Ever so daintily Nisha dramatically walked up the stairs. Once she got into her room she quickly slipped into a rather plain sari. It was a blue color; her mother bought her a million blue saris. Her lotus blue eyes were an amazing sight. They could show whirl winds of emotion at times. She didn't think the sari she picked out was a nice one, but it looked startling good on her. It flattered her slim willowy figure. She pried open her window and dropped lightly onto her toes on the ledge beneath. Tiptoeing along she knew from experience that she had to be careful. One wrong move and it would alert her mother to someone on the roof. Not like she'd really notice, too busy preparing for the party which she took forever to prepare for.



Once she was on the road she headed toward the market. Calmly she walked through the streets, looking at this and that. She gazed in awe at the many beautiful bangles that were for sale. The market was a colorful place, a cheerful place. She got some food and fed some of the elephants standing off to the side. An old lady was selling flutes, magnificently carved with ornate designs on the worn wood. After admiring them for a while, Nisha bought one. She started to think about heading back home. Without looking and turning abruptly, she hurtled into someone. Stunned, she tripped and fell. “Oh! I am sorry miss.” A hand was offered and Nisha took it. She looked up into warm gold eyes. “Are you okay?” Nodding, she shakily stood up. “My sincerest apologies. Sometimes I think that I have clumsiness of an elephant.” The person chuckled. Nisha smiled. She looked at the person and saw that it was a young man. He looked to be two or three years older than her. A handsome profile and dark hair that seemed to sometimes be in the way of those dancing golden eyes. He was rather tall and- She blushed. Here she was staring at a boy she did not know. She looked to see the sun lowering down toward the horizon. The party! “I must go.” She said quickly. “But-”

“I am sorry but I am late.”

“But you-” Nisha hurried off. The handsome young man bent and picked up the flute that Nisha had just bought. He looked toward the road where you could see her silhouette against the sinking sun.



******

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment