Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 3 - Chapter 3

a spirited girl with black hair and dancing lotus blue eyes.
A girl who was named for the night...

Chapter 3 - Chapter 3

Chapter 3 - Chapter 3


Slipping back through her window, Nisha knew that she didn't have that much time to get ready. She bit her lip, why did she always lose track of time? Quickly she slipped into her darling blue sari and slipped the silver headpiece over her head. Surveying herself in the mirror she decided it would have to do. She changed her gold slippers to her silver ones and washed her face. Then, she brushed some new eye shadow on. Wincing, she pulled a brush through her tangled hair. Deciding that she'd have to go downstairs now rather then later she walked toward her door. Suddenly she found herself on the floor. “Oh dear. Sorry darling. I was just coming upstairs to make sure you were up. Did you know I hear the most curious noise before sounded like- oh I don't know…something on our roof-" Nisha rubbed the spot on her head where the door had banged into. Her mother continued “-but I think it was nothing.” Nisha tried to look interested. “Really? That's odd. I didn't hear anything...”



Later that evening Nisha was getting irritated. Many men had come up to her asking her to dance, and as politely as she could she turned down all of them. She heard a chuckle and raised her eyes from the spot they were staring at on the floor. “Small world.” Her eyes widened, the young man from the market! “You forgot something…at the market?... But you were in such a hurry…I didn't get a chance to return it to you.”

“Excuse me?”

“Your flute?” He held out the instrument, and she took it.

Nisha flushed, she didn't even realize it was missing yet, she had been in such a hurry. “Oh! Thank you.” He smiled at her and she returned the smile. “Would you care to dance?” He asked. She nodded. Her took her hand and led her out to the dance floor. He put his arm on her waist and she felt her face flush. Luckily he didn't notice. They danced two dances in a row. Soon, they were slightly tired and decided to sit down.



“I'm afraid I didn't catch your name earlier. My name's Ash-” Another young man came to Nisha. “Will you dance with me?” She started to protest “Oh, no thank-” The young man paid little attention to her. He took her arm and led her out yet again to the dance floor. She looked over her shoulder helplessly at where the young man she met at the market sat. A quick flash of disappointment flashed in his eyes before he smiled his amiable smile. Her over-eager partner was off beat, narrowly missing stepping on her feet a few times in a row. Without realizing it she rolled her eyes and the sitting young man laughed. Horror crept its way up to her cheeks in a blush. She didn't think sometimes. Mentally she scolded herself.



After what seemed like forever, the dance was over. Relieved, she sank into a chair, rubbing her bruised feet. Glancing at where the mystery man had been she found he was gone. Frowning she decided she might as well go home before she was dragged into a dance again. Stepping gingerly out into the streets, she made her way home



On the way, Nisha felt the hair on the back of her neck stand up. She sensed someone watching her. Wishing she hadn't decided to walk alone, Nisha quickened her pace. The watcher did the same, you could hear them moving. Apparently they had decided that stealth was no longer necessary. Stay calm, she told herself. Hearing footsteps on the path behind her Nisha swallowed and turned. Positioned in a fighter's stance in the middle of the path, was a large burly man. “Wh-what...Wh-who are you?” He looked at her. “You are Nisha, no?” Hesitantly, she nodded, instantly regretting it. His eyes glittered with something Nisha couldn't place. “Then you have been having dreams?-” Nisha opened her mouth “-Don't even try to lie. Ah, I see it in your eyes; you have been having the dreams. You're coming with me.” Terror gripped Nisha, but recovering from the initial shock she wisely did not show it. “You are taking me nowhere.” She stated resolutely. “Oh?” The man lunged toward her. Fortunately, Nisha was a fast individual and dodged. Heart pounding, she came to the realization that this man was not joking and must be a very strange being indeed. How did he know about her dream; the one she had many times? He lunged again and yet again she dodged. Pretending to trip, she fell in the dusty road. With a triumphant smile the man bent down to look her in the face. “You-” He never got to finish. Flinging the dirt she had gathered in her hand in his face, Nisha swiftly got up and started running. The man cursed and wiped his watering eyes. By the time he could see, Nisha's willowy figure was running in the distance, getting farther and farther away with each passing second.



Panting, Nisha stopped only when she was in front of her house. Trying to fix her disheveled appearance, she brushed off the dirt that was on her sari and tried to fix her hair. Slowly, head held high, she walked into the house. Chhaya, started towards her, but Nisha held out a weary hand. “Please Chhaya, I'm tired, could you just send a drink up to my room.” Concern in her eyes Chhaya asked “Miss? Are you sure you're-?” Nisha interrupted “Chhaya… drink?” Nodding, the once more jumpy Chhaya hurried off to the kitchen.



With a sigh, Nisha wearily dragged herself upstairs. Flopping onto her bed, she was left little time to ponder over the strange man before sleep claimed her. She did not notice the glass of water left for her on her bedside table. Nor did she notice the apprehensive look the skittish maid Chhaya gave her while she was sleeping.










Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment