Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 5 - 5. It's the begining of something

This is another story I just made up. It isn't finished either but enjoy...

Chapter 5 - 5. It's the begining of something

Chapter 5 - 5. It's the begining of something
Later we returned to the camp, it had been a long walk back the sky beginning to darken. Most of the blood had worn off and my head no longer throbbed.
Valda, who was the first to see us coming, yelled at Barron from a distance. “Hey Barron that was a pretty long walk” she said smiling. This caught the attention of Slone who immediately saw the little bit of blood on us and the cut on my forehead,
“What happened”, she said walking over. Her face worried looking for an answer from one of us.
“A morrowmeck was after us” Barron responded. “I think Kate’s head might need stitches though”.
What! I really didn’t feel like getting stitches, especially here.
I guessed it showed on my face because Valda laughed, “It doesn’t hurt that much and Slone pretty good at it most of the time”.
“Be quiet Valda, come on Kate” she grabbed my wrist and sat me down on a rock near the fireplace. She took out a needle and placed it over the fire to sterilize it. I stared at it. The metal heating up in the flames as Slone looked for string. I had never gotten stitches and wasn’t about to. I turned to look at Slone.
“You know I don’t think I need stitches, its only a little cut”. My insecure smile giving away I was scared
“It really doesn’t hurt that much, Valda was just kidding around”. She lifted up a spool of thread and took the needle off the fire. “Plus the cut’s too deep to just put a bandage on”. She concentrated on putting the string into the needle. I frowned, this wasn’t working.
“Isn’t there numbing stuff you have to put on it first or something” I said with pleading eyes hoping to get out of this still.
“Nope” she replied without looking, still concentrating on getting the string through the needle.
I didn’t know what to do. There was nothing I could do but run and there were those bird things out there.
“Got it” she yelled as she looped the string into the needle. I stood up thinking I could still get away.
“How about we wait till tommorow and see if it heals by itself first” I said taking a few steps back.
“Nope” she said tying a knot and looking up at me
“Why not” I asked taking a few more steps back.
“Listen… you have to get the stitches now or it’ll get infected” She started walking toward me the needle held in her hand. It looked huge too big to go into my skin although I knew it was normal size. I looked around, Barron had went off somewhere only Valda remained.
“You know, I really don’t think I need it… let’s wait for the others to arrive”. I took a few more steps backward. She seemed to ignore and kept coming closer with the needle.
“Sit” she said pointing over at a rock.
I knew I shouldn’t make a big deal about it, it was only stitches but I couldn’t get over the fact a needle would be going into my head. Right know I didn’t care about those bird things or what lied beyond, it was that metal needle. I turned and started running
“Hey” I heard Slone’s voice call out.
“I’ll come back when it’s healed” I looked back and yelled at her while still running.
Smack! I had run right into Uaine who was on his way back to the camp.
“Whoa are you okay”? he asked helping me up.
“Uaine grab her and bring her over here” she said agitated that I wouldn’t come.
He quickly picked me up, put me over his shoulder and started carrying me over there.
“PUT ME DOWN!” I screamed. “I don’t want stitches understand!”. “Pleeeaassee” I begged but he still kept carrying me over there.
“Everybody has to get them eventually” he said. I could tell he was grinning. He stopped and set me down on a rock near the fireplace.
“Hold her” she said walking over with the needle. He firmly held the upper part of my arms.
“Please I seriously don’t need them” I said looking at Slone. She ignored me and started the stitching. I could feel the needle going through my skin and I screamed. By the time she was done I had completely worn out my voice and probably their ears.
“Done” she said tying the knot. Uaine released my arms and got up. My head hurt, how could it not. She put nothing on it before she stuck that needle in it. I sat there looking at the flames. The thought of me leaving the house popped into my head. The door slowly closing on Lyn’s face. Her eyes were so sad and how she hesitantly took the money.
“Kate” I looked up at Slone who was holding out a bowl for me to take. I took the bowl and she sat down next to me. “It wasn’t that bad was it” she said with a little smile. I guess she was talking about how quiet I had been.
“No… I guess not”, giving back a small smile. I took a small sip of the soup. “Where’s Barron” I asked looking over at her.
“I think he went off with Thane” she said
“Oh” I looked back at my soup and took another sip.
She glanced over at me “Why so concerned anyways”.
“I’m not” I quickly defended myself “just wondering”.
“Okay…” she said smirking.
“What” I said
“Oh nothing it’s just that… it’s nothing
“What” I asked again.
She got up and laid down in the bed she’d made from before. “You probably already know” she said lying her head down on the pillow.
“Know what…Slone…” she had fallen asleep already. I think I did know what she was talking about though. He had already rescued me twice and I besides felt something for him. I put the bowl down and went into my bed. I had been in this place for two days now and was getting use to a few of the routines. Guess I caught onto things fast including my feelings for him .I smiled and fell asleep.

I awoke next morning to find the sun was already up and noise of footsteps scattering all around. I lifted my head up to find everyone already up.
“Good your up start packing your bed” Valda said while folding her blankets.
“What’s going on I asked confused sitting up and tying my hair.
“Well Thane thinks we should move so no other morrowmecks or any other creature picks up the scent of the blood leading back to our camp”
“Oh” I glanced over at the path Barron and me came from yesterday. Well guess I should get moving. I started the get up, rolling the blankets up and tying them with rope so I could carry them like a backpack. Barron, Thane and Slone had already packed up their beds and belongings. They stood in the distance pointing at different directions yelling amongst each other. “What are they doing I asked Valda putting on the rope and blanket made backpack.
“They’re deciding where to move to” she looked over at them and back at me, “I wouldn’t go over there yet, all they’ve been doing is fighting all morning”, “I tried going over there and they yelled at me to stay out of it”. “I don’t really care where we go just as long as we’re by water this time”. She smiled “Uaine needs a bath”. I smiled back. It seemed like they were always fighting but not because they disliked each other but the opposite. That reminded me where was Uaine, I hadn’t seem him yet all morning nor heard him. She must have been wondering the same thing. “I dunno where he went this morning, I mean I think he went to get food” her face became worried staring into the woods. “Well lets go I think they’re almost done” she said looking at me smiling. We started walking towards the others who seemed to be settling down.
“Fine Thane we’ll go there I’m sick of arguing with you” Slone yelled walking ahead as she did. Valda and me stopped as we came up to Thane and Barron.
“So where we goin Thane” Valda said looking up at him. He turned to look at Slone who had already gained some distance. He then turned and started walking without answering her question. Valda stood there for a minute and then started to run after him. “Thane… Thane where are we GOING”!!!!!… “ANSWER ME” I stood there watching them walk away into the distance; Slone almost out of site and Valda tailing behind Thane, bugging him for an answer. I smiled, it was funny and peaceful at the same time a familiar feeling.
I had forgotten Barron was standing next to me watching them too, “They’re characters aren’t they”. I looked over at him. He was just staring at them. I smiled and nodded my head turning my attention back to the disappearing bodies. I started walking forward when he grabbed a-hold of my wrist “Kate…”. I was surprised he had grabbed my wrist; I turned around to look at him. He was just staring at me his face was serious.

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

kittymobile on March 17, 2006, 10:15:46 AM

kittymobile on
kittymobilevery good. no comments? how mean! more more more! lol. i like it. very much. what a cliffhanger! lol.