Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - operation 'storm the gates'

SPECTRE team, a squad of the elite mutated soldiers. Follow theie struggle against the chimera, aliens bent on domination of the earth. Thrills and spills wait in this action packed story of comradeship and strength against the darkest situations.

Chapter 1 - operation 'storm the gates'

Chapter 1 - operation 'storm the gates'
Chimeran tower 7D
Zone 15, downtown Chicago
02:17 hours
SPECTRE team operative codename ‘Reaper’
Operation ‘storm the gates’


Reaper ran down the corridor of the chimeran tower, his unnatural speed making him seem like a ghost in the shadows. He turned a corner and almost collided with a hybrid working at a console. He stepped backwards quickly as the hybrid raised its bullseye. It was fast, but reaper had the advantage of his voltaic body armour; he snatched out, more out of instinct and training rather than actual thought, and grabbed the bullseye from the chimera’s hands. The hybrid was stunned and its grip was relaxed. The bullseye came away easily. Reaper smashed the butt of the weapon against the hybrids head and then fired a three round burst into the chest of the twisted creature. The rounds bounced off. Thicker armour, thought Reaper a fraction of a second before squeezing the trigger, sending a torrent of red energy balls into the hybrid. The armour shattered and thick red blood sprayed into the air and onto the wall. The hybrid fell to the floor, wriggling in agony as its internals spread on the metallic surface. It didn't make a noise, because Reaper’s foot was lodged firmly into its spiked mouth. He dropped down low, and put another round into its head. The hybrid fell silent. Reaper’s eyes scanned the corridors leading off from the sub section. He let out the breath he had been holding. No alarms, no reinforcements. He was undetected. It would be awhile before the hybrid was missed. He pulled the clip from the bullseye then ripped out the firing matrix, leaving the weapon useless. He rose into a sprint down another of the corridors, one hand sliding the acquired ammo into his pack. He was a spec op, tasked with the tricky missions and with gathering and dividing ammo to the rest of his team. And they needed all the fire power they could get.

The chimeran tower was huge, but that maps Reaper had on his HUD gave him a general idea of where he was heading; the second level sub reactor, which just so happened to power the security systems for the cargo bay two levels down. If he could disable it, it would give the rest of SPECTRE team the chance to slip in unnoticed. Frankie would kill him if he messed this up. They had planned this operation for days, and it all rested on them getting in unnoticed. If this went wrong they’d all be screwed. He couldn’t let that happen. He wouldn’t let that happen. His pace quickened as he made his way into the final corridor. He dropped dead against the wall as he heard voices coming from within the room ahead. Voices was the wrong word. The chimera didn't speak, they growled. Only a few phrases were recognisable by human ears, one of the few remaining human traits left in the creatures. He checked his BERSERK charge meter. It was fully charged. Reaper pressed a few buttons and selected the invisibility option. He activated it and stepped away from the shadow of the wall. Sparks seemed to dance across the plates of his armour, before in the blink of an eye he disappeared. All that remained was a slight shimmer in the air in the shape of a person.

Reaper stepped into the room, moving in slow and deliberate steps. The light bending powers of the suit were good, but were easy to see through if you moved to fast. There were a dozen chimera in the room hovering about terminals; all with bullseye’s hung at their side. In the far corner was the reactor, a collection of glowing orange rods sandwich between two circular pieces of machinery. On his HUD the radiation meter peaked. Beads of sweat rolled down his face as he made his way to the side of the reactor. He pulled out a proximity mine from his pack and armed it, then slipped it in between the rods. He could practically feel the skin on his hand blistering. He couldn’t just blow the reactor. It would be clear to the chimera what had happened and he wouldn’t have a chance to get clear and tell the others the plan was a go. Instead he pulled out a micro frag grenade with an experimental timer. SRPA hadn’t perfected the device for larger bombs yet but it was perfect for what he had in mind. The timer would go of, damaging one of the rods. Then, one of the hybrids would come over to check it out, detonating the proximity mine and take out the reactor as well as the rest of the chimera in the room. He set the timer for thirty minutes, enough for him to get out and tell the others. Reaper placed the device behind one of the rods then moved slowly out of the room. He smiled at how easy it had been as he started running down the corridors, the invisibility wearing of. What he didn't know was a pair of golden eyes as dark as the shadows in which he spent most of his time had watched every move he had made.


Chimeran tower 7D
Zone 15, downtown Chicago
02:40 hours
SPECTRE team
Operation ‘storm the gates’


Frankie Fumbles stared at the time on his HUD. He shifted his weight onto his other foot. He wasn’t one to show his nerves, but he couldn’t deny he had doubts about this mission. He turned his sights to the chimeran structure towering above him, its peak blocking out the sun. Images of its internal structure flashed through his mind. He looked at the clock again. Reaper was running late. He checked his wraith full the third time. The hulking weapon looked menacing in the early morning light. The crisp air of dawn tingled against his skin, playing with his already on edge senses. He focused on the mission; to destroy the main reactor of the tower before it went live. Not an easy task when the entire area was crawling with legions of chimera. The city was designated grey territory for a reason, and if it fell the liberty defence perimeter would be next. He turned his attention towards the rest of SPECTRE team. His lieutenants, Lusitanian and death icon, were sitting in a corner talking quietly. The rest of the team were sitting together, listening to laughing gamer’s jokes. Their weapons sat ready on the floor next to them, seemingly awaiting the moment they would be used. A creek, the barest of sounds in the silent alleys of the abandoned city, came from the other side of the broken door. Instantly the entire team was on guard, their weapons aimed at the door. Their silence was pieced by the sound of three knocks. Frankie barely tapped the wall in reply. The door fell open and in slipped the barrel of a marksmen rifle followed by Reaper, a living shadow against the wall. Damn, thought Frankie, sometimes he seemed too sneaky for his own good. Reaper made his way over to Frankie, who listened as Reaper told of his exploits, as did the rest of the team.
“Okay, the explosion should be within the next few minutes. You know what to do, keep low and move fast, standard formation. Move out SPECTRE.”


Chimeran tower 7D
Zone 15, downtown Chicago
02:48 hours
SPECTRE team
Operation ‘storm the gates’


It was eerily quiet in the streets of Chicago. In the distance the first light of morning was beginning to skirt through the tops of the abandoned skyscrapers. In the streets there were signs of life, but nothing more. Everyone who had ever lived here was now evacuated or dead. Or worse. Jutting from the middle of the city was the giant tower of unknown origin, casting strange shadows upon the city below. Through these shadows moved eight figures, dropping and darting through wreckage that remained in the streets of the city. They vanished down an entrance to the subway, just in time too, for at that moment something happened within the tower. It started as a small explosion, a tiny fireball suspended in space. But this fireball started to grow and within a second it destabilized, the energy contained within too much. The silence of the ghost city was shattered by a massive explosion on the towers south side. A fireball spread out into the air as pieces of the tower fell to the ground. The explosion wasn’t nuclear; the rods were too controlled for the reaction to go that far. But the damage was done and the security systems offline. SPECTRE team had their opening.

The roar of chain guns filled the cargo bay, as SPECTRE team advanced into the complex. The security system was down, but there were still chimera in vast room that needed to be eliminated. Duel rays of life draining energy zapped around the room, as Iron Maiden and Laughing Gamer kept a close eye on the health statistics of the team members. Up on the balcony at the far side of the room a hybrid ran towards a communication relay point. It reached up a clawed hand to the console, but as it did so it noticed a red icon on its hand. The icon travelled up the grey skin of the beast, resting on a spot in between its eyes. Too late did it realise what was happening and an instant later a 3mm slug bored into its head, splattering the things brains on the wall. Death Icon proved for the hundredth time while he had his codename. He needn’t have bothered firing though, for Astral had already blocked the communications. Reaper was busy supplying ammo to the team. He had his work cut out for him. Frankie, Darkside and Lusitanian were pissing ammo, the bodies of countless chimeran hybrids crumpling beneath their feet. Reaper raised his weapon and stared down the sights of his custom marksmen. He squeezed the trigger once. The three round burst blasted through the supposedly bullet proof glass and ended the life of the auger armed steel head who had been raining fire down on them. The gunfire ended, smoke streaming from the muzzles of the still spinning barrels of the wraiths. The three vanguard soldiers lowered their shields. Astral helped Reaper gather and hand out ammo, while Death Icon handled the grenades. The two medics went about ending the lives of the wriggling hybrids still groaning in pain. Frankie checked his HUD. It showed footage of the damage to the tower.
“Damn Reaper,” he muttered, astonished at the level of the destruction. Reaper just smiled. At that moment the doors of a lift opened at the far end of the room. Out poured three squads of chimeran troops, ravengers leading the charge. Frankie turned to this new threat and raised his shield, as did Darkside and Lusitanian. Reaper just smiled. The battle had just began.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment