Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 2 - The Assignment

Please comment I need all the help I can get! lol Tell me where I need to improve and everything! Please I hope it's ok!

Chapter 2 - The Assignment

Chapter 2 - The Assignment






Chapter 2





The sunlight shone through Mareldas eyelids as she rose silently with the dawn. The ground on which she had slept was cold and wet with morning dew. The trees towered above the earth. Their ancient trunks seemed to reach the clouds and beyond. The suns rays beamed through the canopy of trees, creating a field of diamonds among the grass.











I cant believe theyre making me do this, she thought quietly as she saddled her mare Windfire, ready to make the final ride to her new assignment. Im not trained for this kind of work, she thought, this is something that proper ladies of the court should be assigned to. Not assigned to a highly trained assassin. Ready to depart from the forest grove, she mounted and went on her way.











The sun began to rise higher into the sky and other creatures began to stir. Birds could be heard twittering in the trees, greeting each other for the new day, a Doe was drinking from the stream as her fawn ran around her, eager to start the new day. As she rode through the forest, Marelda recalled what her master had told her about this mission.











* * *











As you already know, war is rising between the country of Sarotha and the country of Bestolle, Sir Arron, her master had paused as he waited for her to concur. However, this war is different to how most wars fought. Instead of soldiers marching in arms to fight for their King and country, assassins are fighting this battle. Assassins all over the lands are being hired to attempt to assassinate any known threats they are informed of. Already one of King Hadwans younger brothers, Duke Doned of the Isles, has already fallen victim to these assassinations, again he paused but only take a breath so as to continue, Again you already know that there many kinds of assassins who excel in certain areas of the assassin arts. But we, that is you, Dominque, Marcus, Eryk and myself, are highly trained Ikarru Assassins. The only five of our kind left who can slip through the day and night, unseen by any, use all sorts of poisons, weapons and disguises to do our job. The only ones who are trained in all the known assassin arts and all those that are secret to all except those trained to become Ikarru. We are not greedy, taking only those assignmens which are worthy of our art.











Therefore, we are now being called to do battle in this war. I have already chosen which side we shall fight for. King Hadwan of Sarotha is a fine ruler and good to his people. King Mullen of Bestolle is also a fine king though he lacks certain goodness that Hadwan has. So it shall be Hadwan and his family we are to protect.











Now, he leaned forward as if someone was trying to listen outside the window, I have assigned you to this task. It is up to you to protect the royal family of Sarotha from any attempts on their lives. You shall be under the disguise of a woman entering the courts who is to care for the youngest daughter of the royal family, Princess Mina.











Sir? Permission to ask a question. After hearing the words family and protect in the one sentence, Marelda wasnt sure she liked where this assignment was going.











Yes? What is it?





Well sir, are you telling me that I shall be babysitting this family? I mean sir is it not our job to just eliminate threats and then vanish?











Marelda, my child, an assassin has many tasks that are given to it with the name. Stealth, lethal, invisible  these are the more common ones used. But in there is also words such as protect, defend and shield from harm. The boys shall remain behind to intercept those assassins that pass from Bestolle, he smiled and leaned over to give her a hug. Dont worry my daughter. You are the most proficient at completing this task. You will blend in so easy. If not for your beautiful face they wouldnt even notice you.











* * *











She smiled as she remembered the last comment her father had spoken to her. Of course, Sir Arron was not her real father. He had passed so long ago now, though the memory still haunted her dreams. She had wandered through the forest for days, alone and afraid when he and the boys had found her. He had taken her in, cared for her and soothed her fears away. A few days into her stay she had discovered what he was and what the boys were training to become. Her only thoughts were of avenging her family, and so, she had passed his tests and trained with her now brothers Dominque, Marcus and Eryk to become one of the Ikarru. Thirteen years on and she could best any of them in a fight. She snapped out of her reverie, scolding herself for losing focus. She was a woman riding all alone with no escort. Women were meant to be weak, therefore they were easy prey. She had to remain focused. I dont want to kill anyone unless its absolutely necessary, she thought. Glancing about her, the forest was gone now and open fields filled with flowers stretched ahead. Farmers could be seen working in the fields, childrens laughter echoed in the silence of nature. Then she looked further ahead and in the not so far distance saw her mission looming nearer. The Castle of Evernight.





Comments

Comments (4)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Sora121 on October 14, 2006, 6:40:04 AM

Sora121 on
Sora121Very very good. and i see you even used A

wakko on July 12, 2006, 11:05:40 PM

wakko on
wakkonice story

cyborg_katyuska on July 12, 2006, 10:45:07 PM

cyborg_katyuska on
cyborg_katyuskaThis is very good, and you should continue it. ^-^ Faves+

sam01 on July 10, 2006, 10:34:15 PM

sam01 on
sam01this one is good as the first u should keep on making this story and it will be publish as sooner then u think for a good fantasy story writer !