Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 2 - chapter one: 13

A book about how the kargarocs learn to find peace with society. The mothulas are also involved.

Chapter 2 - chapter one: 13

Chapter 2 - chapter one: 13


Chapter one: 13



Link was on the island… the large peaks jutted up like sky scrapers, but he could see the nests… the kargarok nests that barred his path to the treasure. He took out his bow, aimed carefully with an ice arrow, and shot at the bird that was flying overhead.

The bird fell, and broke int millions of pieces on the floor. Link grabbed another arrow, and was about to shoot when he noticed something strange out of the cornerof his eye the corner of his eye. He reached down, and he picked up a peace of the shattered creature, but it was not the creature he saw. The face… was his.

Link awoke, on his bed, screaming. He then realized he was awake, and his screams became sobs, for he knew that he had had the dream again. .

Link had been having the dream ever since he had set out on his journey to slay Ganon, the evil wizard who never seemed to die. What was this? Link couldn't count. He had killed Ganon many times in the past, but he had always come back.

Now, even though his journey was done, he continued to have the dream. When he was out on his journey, the kargaroks had meant nothing. They were just another obstacle blocking his way, but at night, that changed, he cried himself to sleep, remembering the shrieks of pain that the kargaroks had made when the arrow would pierce the skin, how they would fall out of the sky. They had lives. Who was he to take that away from them? He wished he could go back in time, and just refuse his destiny. “Let some other person go fight Ganon for the millionth time. I don't want to.” He could just imagine himself saying that, but the past was over, and the future was now.

“Maybe,” said Link to himself, “if I go and kill some more, I will be numb, and won't have to suffer anymore. Maybe I can be a normal thirteen year old..”

That reminded him, today was his thirteenth birthday. He got on his green suit, and went downstairs.

All of his friends were there, and his parents. He acted excited as he opened his gifts: a new set of arrows, a new boomerang, and other warrior's items were his gifts, but there were only two that he really liked. Firstly, he got a new ocarina, and secondly, a jet black suit to replace his green one.

The black suit looked exactly the same as the green, except for one small difference., the black one had a hood, and when Link put it on, his face was not visible to the world.

He had asked for this a long time ago, for he thought it would be proper for him to wear black to show his grief for all of the lives he had taken. At first his friends and family had fought with him, but apparently his mother had changed her mind.

“So when's your next mission, kid,” asked one of his friends.

“Never,” murmured Link, “I quit.”

“What did you say,” asked the child, “I don't think I heard you right.”

“I said I quit,” screamed Link, “Look, you guys. I know you love me and all, and I thank you for the thought of these gifts, but I won't do it anymore. I'm not a fighter, O.K? I have dreams of the ones I have slainevery single night! I see their bodies, and I hear their screams. I am Link the warrior no more!”

He was growing louder and more emotional with every word, “I have shed innocent blood, and God bless me if I don't pay for it. Those creatures didn't deserve to die… none of them… andI won't do it anymore! Just let me be an average, thirteen year old bboy!”

He stormed off in tears… tears he knew his family couldn't cure. No one could cure his pain, not even himself.

He took his boat and sailed out to Bird's Eye Peak, where he had killed many a bird, but rather then pulling out an arrow like he had done before, he sat down, hidden behind a long patch of grass, and watched.

He watched as the kargaroks fed their young. Some fed them fruit, while others were fortunate enough to get a fresh piece of mothulameat. It was a beautiful sight to behold… mother and child… he wondered how long it would last… wondered how long before someone came, and killed one of them, broke up the family, just because they thought it might be fun.

After the feeding, they flew up to their caves, probably bedding for the night.

Link stayed there for three solid days. He had no food, and no water, nor did he care. These creatures had such an odd way of living. They only came outside to eat

“They're so beautiful,” said a voice behind Link on his fourth day, “aren't they?”

Link turned around quickly, to see an all too familiar face there… it was Saria. Link nodded his head.

“You know,” she said, “it wasn't your fault.”

“What wasn't,” said Link, trying to hide his troubles from her.

“The lives you took. It wasn't your fault. I know you've been having trouble with it, but it really…”

“Wasn't my fault,” Link finished, “I heard you. I only wish I could believe you. If I am the one who lets the arrow fly, how can it possibly be anyone's fault but mine?”

“Sometimes,” said Saria softly, “ We are given missions, we are expected to do things we don't want to do, and there are casualties. That is not your fault.”

“I don't know,” said Link, “it seems like if I am the one who pulls the bow, who takes the life from another, I am most definitely the one responsible. It is my fault.”

“No,” said Saria, “you were forced to do it. It was your destiny. I'm sure the birds will forgive you.”

Just then, a Kargaroc landed in front of them, squawked twice, and drew its head back, as if to attack.

In one swift motion, knowing he was only defending his own life, Link pulled out his bow, armed an arrow, and shot the bird through the heart.

Link heard the scream of the creature, saw the look in its eyes, a look that seemed to ask, “why?” and saw the bird collapse to the floor.

Another bird came, and bothered Link not, but lifted the corpse in the air, and flew back to the top of the highest peak.

Link looked back, but Saria was not there…


Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment