Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 5 - chapter 4: redemption

A book about how the kargarocs learn to find peace with society. The mothulas are also involved.

Chapter 5 - chapter 4: redemption

Chapter 5 - chapter 4: redemption


Chapter 4: redemption



The tears were in Link's eyes once again. He had not wanted to kill the bird, but he thought it was necessary, and that the bird was trying to hurt him. It had, in fact, drawn back its head.

“It was going to attack me,” said link quietly to himself, “it was going to kill me, so why do I feel so horrible?”

He decided to stay in the grass and watch the birds, even though he had killed one. He thought he might be able to see just how advanced they were.

He sat down, and scoped out the rocks, but there was no movement. The birds, evidently, had been scared enough by the shot that they would not leave their nests.

Link was depressed, for he knew that as long as he was here, he would not be able to see the birds.

Nonetheless, he waited, for he hoped that they would come out, but they did not. Two days he sat there, crying and waiting, but the birds did not come.

“You know,” said a voice behind Link, “you did the wrong thing.”

He didn't have to turn to know it was Saria, “it-it was going to attack me. I had no choice.”

“No,” said Saria, “the drawing back of the head is not an attack, it is a gesture of forgiveness. The bird had just decided to forgive you, and you killed it!”

“Well,” said Link, “can I be blamed? I don't know kargaroc rituals. I didn't know.”

“I know you didn't,” said Saria, “you're a good kid. You wouldn't just kill something for the fun of it.”

“No I wouldn't,” said Link, “the question now is what do I do to earn their forgiveness.”

“Karagarocs are not evil creatures. They will know that it was an accident. They are not hard to please.”

“How do you know so much about the birds?” Link asked Saria, surprised.

“Not just them,” said Saria, “everything. Nature speaks but one language, though it may have different accents.”

“Can you… speak to them?”

“I can.”

“So you could, call them here?”

“Yes, but you would have to prove to them that you really are sorry, and that you didn't know what you were doing.”

“I want you to go get the bird that just flew away. I think it is a relative of the bird I killed.”

“That's a good observation,” said Saria, “he is her brother.”

“You mean the bird I killed was a female? Did she have…”

“Two hatchlings, yes,” said Saria, “but I know you wwill be a great mother to them.”

“M-me, mother?” stuttered Link.

“Yes, of course. Someone had to take over.”

“Okay,” said Link, “I will, but just please tell that other kargaroc to come here, so I can explain the situation. I only hope he will forgive me.

When Link turned around, Saria was gone. It was as if she had simply disappeared into the wind, but Link could now hear the bird in the top peak. It sounded as though there was another bird, and they were arguing back and forth.

“He's coming,” said Saria, who had managed, once again, to appear behind Link when he least expected it, “just don't expect him to be in the best of moods.”

“I don't deserve to have a pleasant conversation with him. I did, after all, kill his sister.”

Link began to strip off his weaponry, though, so the bird did not get any wrong ideas.

The bird landed softly in front of Link. He could see the beautiful orange and green pattern on the birds tail, and a tear was in the bird's eye..

The bird squawked loudly three times, followed by a flap of its large wings.

“What did he say,” asked Link, “does he hate me?”

“He said” you have taken my sister from me. Now I am alone.”

“Tell him,' Link said, “that I'm sorry, and I didn't know what you were doing, and that I didn't know that was some kind of a ritual… I thought it was an attack.”

Saria made many noises that Link did not comprehend, except for a few clicks.

The bird responded with few groans and clicks.

“What did he say?” asked link.

“He said that he dearly misses his sister, but he also realizes that people make mistakes, and it takes a lot of bravery and courage to admit when you are wrong, and he would like to bestow upon you a blessing.

“I would be honored to accept it,” said Link, “tell him he can go ahead.”

The bird placed his wings on Link's two shoulders, and at first, the noise that came from it was little more then undistinguishable groans, but then, somehow magically, Link could hear them becoming words, and he could understand them.

“It is done.” Said the kargaroc.

“Is there any way,” asked Link, “that I can help you. Anything I can do. Where I come from, it is rude to accept a gift without giving something back.”

“What about your birthday,” said the bird, “wasn't your birthday just like three days ago?”

“Yes,” said Link, surprised, “but how would you know that?”

“I have my sources,” said the bird, “and I don't need you to repay me for the gift, but, if you really, truly want to help, we could definitely use you.”

“Anything,” said Link, “I will do anything for the ones I love.”

“Whoa,” said the bird, “don't you think “love” is going a little too far. You did, after all, kill hundereds of our kind.”

“Only because I was forced to. I never liked to do it. Even now, I wake up screaming most nights because I hear your screams, see your blood in my dreams.”

“I understand. Sometimes it's hard when you have to do things you don't want to.”

“How can you use me,” asked Link, “I would be glad to help.”

“We need a hero,” said the bird, a tear coming from his eye, “we need someone to stop the violence and killing that is coming from mankind, and, personally, I think you are our best hope, and our only hope.”

“How exactly would I go about doing this?”

“It will not be easy,” said the bird, “first you are going to need the flute of life. You can use this to summon up from the ground our earlier relatives, the kagnaroks. Their sheer beauty and beautiful voices will peak the humans' attention, but we still need the written evidence to prove right what they will say, and that is in the tablet of truth. Lastly, we have a very great and wonderful gift for humanity, which I may not reveal to you, for it is not the right time. Find these three things, and we can live peaceful, equal lives.”

“I will try,” said Link earnestly, “I will try.”

“That's all we ask,” said the bird, “that you try. Humans have gone the last millennia, and no one has offered to even try to help us.”

“Hey,” said Link, “I know what we can do. You know, at least partly, where everything is, which means that you should come with me!”

“I'd be honored,” said the bird.

“What's your name, anyway?” asked Link.

“Name's Pteraticus,” said the kargaroc, “but my friends call me Pterai.”

“Well Pterai,” said Link, “you've got yourself a friend and a partner… for life.”

“If we are going to do this,” said Pterai, “we should get the approval and blessing from the Helmaroc King. He validates all quests that go on, and keeps control of the society.”

“The problem is,” said Link, “I don't think he's going to accept the fact that you are working together with a human. At least, not fully.”

“That's just the thing, though,” said Pterai, excited, “he, along with the rest of us, has been waiting for many years for a human boy to come, and bridge the gaps between our races. We've been looking for you for ages!”

“Well then,” exclaimed Link, “let's go talk to the king!”


Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment