Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 11 - the rest

A book about how the kargarocs learn to find peace with society. The mothulas are also involved.

Chapter 11 - the rest

Chapter 11 - the rest


Chapter ten: the temple of twisted thoughts

The tablet of truth will be in the temple of twisted thoughts.

“Sounds scary,” said Link, “what kind of place is it?”

“Well,” said Pterai, “it used to be a well guarded temple that held the tablet of truth. Anybody that would enter without the king's blessing. Anyone who did not have the blessing would basically go insane. They would start seeing things, and would die in the temple.”

“You said “used to be””.

“Well,” said Pterai, “after the incident with the flute, anything could be lurking in the temple.”

“How far is it,” asked Link, “is it months away?”

“sadly,” said Pterai, “yes.”

“don't worry,” said Volvagia, “I can get us there quickly.”

Nabouru's body fell to the floor, and out of it rose the Volvagia that Link had known. Apperently she was able to leave the body that she had chosen whenever she wanted.

Volvagia leaned over the edge of the ship, and out of her mouth exploded what seemed to be an endless stream of flame.

The boat jerked, and, in a moment, they had reached a speed which would had been unattainable by any physical means.

“We have a bit of a problem,” said Pterai, his face grim, “neither Glysconia nor Volvagia has the king's blessing. Neither of them will be able to enter the temple!”

“I think I can help,” said Glysconia, “but I'm going to need you to come over here.”

Pterai glided over to Glysconia.

“I'm going to need your cooperation here,” said Glysconia, “bow your head, and clear your mind, except for the king… think very hard about him… his appearance… personality… anything, just focus, and focus hard.”

Pterai did as he was told, and bowed his head. Glysconia placed a claw on him, and it seemed as though she had fallen asleep standing up.

“The king wants to talk to you, Pterai,” said Glysconia, “focus very hard on him and speak with your mind.”

It was hard, but Pterai managed to get speech through, “Sir,” he said, “I seek approval for the dragon Volvagia, and the mothula Glysconia to quest with us for the tablet of truth.”

“The dragon is with you?”

“Yes.”

“I thought she was dead.”

“Hold on,” said Pterai, “and I'll call her over.”

He called Volvagia over, and asked her to tell her story, which she did.

“How interesting,” said the king, “so you are good now, right?”

“Yes,” said Volvagia, “the evil spirit, I think, was destroyed with my body… but that would not make sense… no… I think the evil spirit has found a new body, just as I have, and if I find it, I shall destroy that body as well.”

“No,” said the king, “destroying the body will not help, for the spirit will continue to find new bodies. You either need to find a way to destroy the spirit, or to contain it, but anyway, you have my blessing, as does the mothula Glysconia. Have you collected the flute yet?”

“No,” said Volvagia, “it was stolen, but we will recover it.”

“S-stolen, but what of the g-guards?”

“They were all killed, all of them, hacked to pieces.”

“O sweet God,” gasped the bird, “but I suppose things happen. It's best you continue on your journey now.”

“We are currently speeding towart the temple of twisted thoughts, at a speed of 200 miles per hour.”

“200,” gasped the king, “wow! How do you do that?”

“My flames are able to push the boat at great speeds.”

“Yes, well,” said the king, “at any rate, I'm wasting your time.”

“Not at all,” said Volvagia, “the boat is still moving. We'd just be sitting here doing nothing anyway.”

“Oh,” said the king, “well, how's Link doing?”

“Quite well, I gave him a little bit of my spirit so that he will not be having to beat himself senseless over the things he did.”

“Quite good,' said the king, “I was worried about that. He seemed really uncomfortable with himself. Thank you, Volvagia, we all owe you something.”

“No,” said Volvagia, “you don't owe me anything. I love Link. He helped me, and I wanted to help him. It's out of the goodness of my heart, and I don't expect anything in return.”

“Perhaps,” said the king, “but still, you have done a good thing, and we would like to do a good thing for you. What would you say to your own, private place. An area of open land as far as eye can see, and as quiet as ear can hear? Would you like that?”

“In all honesty sir,” said Volvagia, “I don't want to be separated from the others.”

“Great! I have just the place for you… how about staying up on the highest peak with me, and ruling the land?”

“I don't want to rule,” said Volvagia, “I want but only two things… I want to be looked at as an equal citizen, and I want forgiveness of the horrible things I've done.”

“I can grant you all of those things,” said the king, “but are you sure you don't want more then that?”

“I don't need anything more,” said Volvagia, “I just want them to realize I'm not that bad anymore. I'm so scared that they'll hate me for all the things I did before.”

“You did some bad things, Volvagia,” said the king, “but the inhabitants of the land will understand that you were not in your right mind. They'll forgive you.”

“I truly hope you're right,” said Volvagia, `I really love them… and it hurts when you are not accepted by the ones you love.”

“I know,” said the king, “my race has gone through the same pain.”

“Well,” said Volvagia, “we're almost to the island now, so I guess I need to get to helping with the uest, but it's been great speaking to you… you've really calmed my mind about some things.”

“Always glad to help,” said the king, “I'll see you when you're done with the quest.”

“absolutely.”

They had, in fact, reached the island. It held the temple, which was, unlike the other, shiny and golden

It was as thoughnothing had happened at all had happened. Everything was beautiful.

“Perhaps the tabletis here,” said Link, “and we've found a piece of the puzzle.”

But there was no tablet… there was nothing. The building was empty… there weren't even any guards.

“Well,” said Link, “I'm stumped. I don't know where to go now, or what to do… we can't find the relics we need.”

“I think I might know where they're going to strike next,” said Glysconia, “We mothulas have a sacred jewel. It is called the orb of resuscitation. It has great power… that is, it can take someone from near-death stature, and completely heal them. Logically, if one of your artifacts can bring back your ancient relatives, then what if that were combined with something that fully resuscitates a creature? Anything could be brought back to life! Even Ganon could be brought back from the place he is locked in.”

“Wow,” said Link, “that's one powerful orb!”

“Yes,” said Volvagia, “we should get it before the enemy. Where is it?”

“In the forbidden forest,” said Glysconia, “That's where we need to go.”

Volvagia transformed back into her spirit form, and the boat rocketed back into motion.

“We should contact the king to let him know where we're going.” Said Glysconia.

“Good Idea,” said Pterai, “but you don't need me this time, right?”

“Right, all I need to do is to tell him that we're going to my home island, and we're looking for the orb of resuscitation.”

And so, Glysconia closed her eyes, and contacted the king, “Sir?” she said.

“Yes?”

“we are searching for the orb of resuscitation. It is a very powerful mothulian artifact, and I think that may be where the thief will strike next.”

“Okay,” said the king, “do as you must.”

“This is getting weirder and weirder,” said Llink, “who, besides the Kargarocs, would want their holy relic, and why would they go to such lengths to thoroughly destroy the guards? The only creatures that have a large hatared for your kind are the mothulas, and they don't have the weapons to do such massive damage.”

“Hey,” Link heard a voice behind him, “listen!”

It wasn't… it couldn't be… was it.. maybe… yes… it was… Navi!

Link turned to greet the fairy, although he was not completely happy to have her… she was very annoying, and much of the time Link wished she would just go away.

“Hello Navi,” said Link, feigning politeness, “what brings you to these parts? Do you have information for me?”

“Yes,” said Navi, “I have traveled long to tell you that I know something of the thief of the artifacts you seek… I don't know anything about her appearance… really… or her identity… but I do know that she has brilliant green eyes… eyes that pierce straight to the soul. I got to look the creature straight in the eyes… they were sad eyes, not eyes of a killer, and most definitely not selfish. She would not reveal to me her identity, but she did tell me why she had taken the items, and where she would be… she will be on the island where the tower of the gods is located, and she, oddly enough, requested to meet you there. This is beginning to be really odd.”

“I know,” said Link, “why would the thief of these artifacts want to meet me, the one who seeks to get them back? It doesn't fit.”

But they left anyway, and jetted east to the island of the tower of the Gods, and got out. There didn't seem to be anyone there… but Link wanted to be careful, so they carefully snuck around the tower until they saw something.

Link hid under the grass while the others watched from around the tower.

Suddenly, Volvagia came, and ducked down next to Link.

“It's safe,” she said, “I don't understand why, but that creature over there is my mother!”

And it did kind of make sense… the creature was a large green dragon… it seemed like she had prepared an altar of some kind, and she was laying the jewels on it.

Link finally got the courage to get up, and he called the others over with him.

“Do not worry,” said Volvagia, “you all know my mother, you just didn't know that she was my mother!”

“Who is she?” asked Link.

“Speak to her and find out,” said Volvagia, “I'm surprised you can't see through her draconic form.”

Link walked over to the dragon.

“Um…” said Link, “you requested to see me?”

“Yes,” said the creature, “I know you need the artifacts… and I assure you we can both use them. I'm sorry I took them, but I had to protect them.”

“Protect them?”

“Yes, there is another that would seek to use them.”

“But only you have clearance to even touch the items.”

“Not true… there is another, and I think you know who it is.”

“Not really,” said Link, but then a grave look came into his eyes, “It's me… I killed those birds, I stole the jewels, I did it, me.”

“I don't understand,” said Pterai, “you were with us the whole time, and you would never have thought of killing anything.”

“Not this me,” said Link, “the other Link, the dark me. When I gained the ability to take the artifacts, so did he, and he's probably after them.”

“Yes,” said the green dragon, “and I was the only other one who could save them.”

The dragon began to change and mutate… the scales drooped off, and it became watery, before becoming the form that Link knew and loved.

“Saria,” said Link, “you're Volvagia's mother?”

“Yes,” said Saria, “you see, I am not human. A dragon may take many forms, and I chose this one so that I could get along with human society, and yet also be a sage and guardian of the forest, and the things that live there.”

“But where's dark me?” asked Link.

“I'm right here,” said a voice behind Link, “thank you for collecting the jewels for me!”

Link turned, just in time to have a dark version of his own sword stuck into his stomach. He fell to his knees, gasping.

“Why,” he gasped, almost indistinguishable through the blood in his throat, “why?”

“Because,” roared Dark Link, “I can resurrect the sorcerer Ganondorf, and he will appoint me as his right hand man, and we can rule the world together!”

Pterai swooped down and attacked dark Link, but he took out a megaton hammer and smashed Pterai across the face. He fell to the floor as well, blood gushing from his beak.

“Does anyone else seek to oppose me?” he roared.

“As a matter of fact,” said Glysconia, “I do! I know something that will destroy you!”

“Oh yeah,” said Dark Link, grinning, “what?”

“You loved someone!” said Glysconia.

“Me… love… no!”

“Yes,” said Glysconia, “yes you did… you loved Sheik!”

“I don't know what your talking about,” said Dark Link, “you're a liar!”

Dark Link's face was starting to turn red.

“You know exactly what I'm talking about! You loved her, and she turned you down!”

“No,” said Dark Link, the rest of his body growing dark purple, “No…no…NO!!!!!”

He exploded, and little bits of black cloud were scattered everywhere.

“Are you okay?” said Saria, removing the dark blade from Link's chest.

“I don't think so. I'm scared. I think I'm going to die.”

“Be calm,” said Saria, “I will help you.”

Her body fell to the floor, and as it did, all of Link's wounds were healed.

“Wha-what happened,” said Link, “Saria…saria…SARIA!”

“It's okay, child, Link heard, though he could not determine the source, “I'm in your heart. I've given you my spirit. Now you can take my throne as a sage, and we can share control of the forest, ruling together. I will always be here. To you, my daughter,” she said, looking at Volvagia, “I leave my body. You no longer have to wander in a human form. Now you have a choice, to roam as the dragon you are, or to walk as a human. Just remember that I will always love you, no matter the distance, no matter how far away I am, my love will always reside within you.”

“M-mother,” sobbed Volvagia, “d-does it have to b-be this way?”

“I'm sorry, child, but it does. Without me, Link will die, and he must remain alive. I'm sorry I had to leave you.”

Volvagia roared, and the ground around them shook. Rocks atop the tower exploded, sending small shards down, and he roar echoed for miles.

“I-I'm sorry for interrupting a tender moment,” said Glysconia…

“WHAT,” roared Volvagia fiercely, “WOULD YOU HAVE TO SAY… THAT YOU'RE THANKFUL FOR GETTING YOUR RELATIVES BACK? THAT YOU WANT US TO HEAL PTERAI… I'M HAVING THE WORST MOMENT OF MY LIFE, AND YOU DARE TO INTERFERE!”

“Please,” said Saria, through Link, “don't let this be a horrible moment, but a joyful one. I am not gone, just moved to another body… there's no reason to be sad or angry.”

“But I might never see you again!” said Volvagia.

“Actually” said Glysconia, “I was going to bring up the fact that you have two special runes and a machine capable of returning life right behind you.”

“Oh,” said Saria, “I suppose you're right. I don't have to leave you after all.”

Saria's spirit went back to her body and she got up.

“The stones are already in the machine,” said Saria.

The machine was large and red. It had a large dish on it, and two holes for the stones.

“Who do you wish to resurrect?” asked the machine in a booming voice.

“Firstly,” said Pterai, “we wish to resurrect the dead body of Volvagia, secondly, all of the kargarocs that have died, and thirdly, all of the mothulas that have died. Lastly, we want Link to recover.”

“I will require a sacrifice!” boomed the machine.

“Okay,” said Pterai, who had, somehow miraculously, recovered, “I'll be the sacrifice.”

“No,” said Glysconia, “I'd be glad to.”

“I think that this whole sacrifice thing is wrong.”

Navi went over to the machine.

“Listen!” she said, but the vortex sucked her in.

“I guess we have our sacrifice,” said Glysconia, “let's not tell Link. He would be sad to know that his old fairy-friend was sucked into an eternal dimension of torture and torment.”

And… as things go, the kagnarocs were brought back, and the humans learned to respect both the kargarocs and the mothulas. Volvagia lived happily with her mother atop the highest mount of bird peak rock, and Link relinquished his willingness to kill, giving all his weapons to a young man in Hyrule.

“I still don't understand,” asked Link one day when he was speaking to Saria “how these stones do what they do?”

“They,” said Saria, “are made of pure vitamins, which are extracted from certain vegetables. These vitamins help keep people alive, and, when condensed, can give life.”

Link wanted to quit, and to just live his own life.

But Link still had to save the mothulas from their queen, but that's another book entirely…





To be continued.










Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment