Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 0 - What is the difference between a VPN and a proxy?

When you dig into the network settings of your computer or smartphone, you often see options labeled "VPN" or "Proxy." Although in part they do similar work, they are very different. Our article will help you understand the difference between them and what they are for. You might want to use some of them.
What is a proxy?

Chapter 0 - What is the difference between a VPN and a proxy?

Chapter 0 - What is the difference between a VPN and a proxy?
What is a proxy?
Normally, when browsing the Internet, your computer connects directly to that site and starts downloading the pages you read. It's that simple.
And when you use a proxy server, first your computer sends all web traffic to it. The proxy redirects your request to the desired site, downloads the relevant information, and then returns it back to you.
 
Why all this? There are several reasons for this:
[ul]
[li]You want to browse sites anonymously: All the traffic that comes to the site comes from a proxy server, not from your computer.[/li]
[li]You need to overcome the filters that restrict access to certain content. For example, as you know, your subscription to Netflix in Russia will not work in the United States. But if you use a proxy server from Russia, it will look like you are watching TV while in Russia, and everything will work as it should.[/li]
[/ul]
Although this scheme works well enough, there are still a few problems with the proxy:
[ul]
[li]All web traffic that passes through the proxy can be viewed by the owner of the proxy server. Do you know the owners of the proxy server? Can they be trusted?[/li]
[li]Web traffic between your computer and the proxy server, as well as the proxy server and the site, is not encrypted, and therefore an experienced hacker can intercept the transmitted confidential data and steal it.[/li]
[/ul]
What is a VPN?
A VPN is very similar to a proxy. Your computer is set up to connect to another server, and the route of your web traffic goes through that server. But if the proxy server can only redirect web requests, then the VPN connection is able to conduct routing and ensure complete anonymity of all your network traffic.
 
But there is another significant advantage of a VPN – all traffic is encrypted. This means that hackers cannot intercept data between your computer and the VPN server, and therefore your sensitive personal information cannot be compromised.
 
VPN is the safest option
By encrypting and routing all your network traffic, a VPN has a distinct advantage over a proxy server, offering additional features as well.
 
For example, let's take the VPN module in Panda Dome. This module not only ensures the anonymity of all your Internet traffic and helps you bypass various filters (for example, geographical), but also conducts a thorough inspection and filtering of traffic from a security point of view. VPN servers check every request and block anything that is definitely dangerous, such as sites that host malware.
 
Routing your web traffic through an advanced VPN infrastructure helps you avoid malware infections, engaging in phishing scams, and visiting fake sites. Due to the fact that Panda's servers are constantly updated, you are also protected around the clock from sophisticated cyber attacks.

Source: https://vpnheroe.com

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment