Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - Canine Companions

A five chapter intro to the next story. Begins right where Tails the Fox left off, with Copter searching for his own place in the world...

Chapter 1 - Canine Companions

Chapter 1 - Canine Companions
GeneX - A New Beginning
Chapter 1 - Canine Companions
Stage - Speed Highway
Battle - Copter Vs. Conan

Note: Sonic the Hedgehog and related characters are (c) SEGA and
Sonic Team. You knew that, right?
GeneX and related fanchars are (c) 2BIT, the author.


"One ticket to Station Square, please!" Copter was going to take a trip to the city where he and Tails first met. He wanted to really be there this time, unlike last time, when it was just business. His travels by train had taken him to many different places, but he hadn't gone there yet. So, he boarded the train and took a seat. He looked out the window at the people, with all their comings and goings. He still felt like he was on the outside looking in, like he really didn't belong in the world. As the train filled up, Copter began to fall asleep. He was awoken before the train took off. A black coyote girl wearing a small, sleeveless purple shirt and short jeans had woken him. "Hey, can I sit next to you?" she asked. Copter looked around. It seemed there were no other seats. "Sure." he said sleepily. The coyote sat down beside him and shook his hand. "I'm Katie the Coyote. What's your name?" she asked. "I'm Copter." he replied, still sleepy. The movement of the train as it left the station woke him up, and he looked over at the canine beside him. He was instantly struck by her beauty. He did not speak, as he couldn't think of what to say. After a while, though, she noticed him staring at her. "You recognize me, don't you?" she said, "Yeah, I'm the reporter for channel 2. I guess you want an autograph or something?" Copter shook his head. "No, I don't watch the news..." He looked away and tried to change the subject. "I... errr... I bet you covered the Kosmogon incident at Station Square? I was around when it happened..." he said. Katie smiled. "That was an exciting story. You know, you look a bit like the guy that fought alongside Tails." she said, "You know, the media still doesn't have much info on that. Sargent Gunner keeps declining interviews. If you were there, perhaps I could interview you?" Copter quickly snapped up the invitation. "Sure! Anytime!" he said. "Great. How about when we get off? Where are you getting off, anyway?" Katie asked. "Station Square." he replied. Katie gasped in surprise. "Me, too! I got a camera at my house, we can start as soon as we get there!" Copter blushed a little. "Uh... At your house?" he said nervously. Katie shook her head. "No, silly! I'll get my camera and meet you somewhere. How about Emerald Coast?" Copter looked out the window to hide his look of embarrassment. "Sure. I'll meet you there..."

The train soon reached Station Square, and the two of them got off together. Leaving the station, Katie called a cab to take her home. It seemed that Katie knew the cab driver. "Heya, Mia!" she said to the driver. Mia was a blue cat with violet eyes, and was wearing her "cabbie uniform," as she calls it. "Yo, Kat, who's the skunk?" Mia said. Katie looked over her shoulder at Copter. "You're still here? What, don't you know where Emerald Coast is?" she asked him. Copter scratched his head and looked around. "Ummm.... No." he finally said. Mia pointed to the nearby hotel. "There's an entrance through there, skunk boy." she said. "Call me skunk boy again and I'll take your muffler with me!" Copter growled. Katie climbed into the cab as Mia laughed at Copter. "Chill out, buddy! I'm just messin' with ya. What's your name, then?" Katie shut the car door. "He's Copter. Stop eyeballin' him, Mia." she said quietly, so Copter couldn't hear. Mia waved at Copter and drove the cab away, leaving the fairly annoyed fox to himself. "Idiot. Skunks have stripes down their backs." he muttered, heading for the hotel.

After a while, Katie showed up and set up her camera on a stand so she could begin the interview. Holding a microphone, she made her introduction. "Hi, I'm here at Station Square for an interview with a fox who was present at the Kosmogon incident. Hello, Copter!" She held her mic to Copter, who didn't know how to react. "Oh, umm... hi?" Katie began the interview right away. "So, Copter, where were you when that big ship passed over Station Square?" Copter realized that he shouldn't tell the truth, as it might get him in trouble. "Umm... I was... uhhh... just... wandering the streets..." he said, a very bad liar. Katie pretended to ignore this and went on to the next question. "So, describe to us what you saw when the ship arrived." Copter struggled to think of a good lie. "Ummm, well, you see... I umm.... It was..." Katie interrupted him before he could finish. "You weren't in the streets, were you, Copter?" she asked knowingly. "Wh-what? Yes, I said I was in the streets!" he protested, but it was no use. "C'mon. I'm not an idiot, Copter. You were the second fox up there, weren't you?" she said, turning off the camera. Copter's jaw dropped. "You KNEW!?" he grumbled. Katie smiled. "I was in the streets myself. I saw you. What I'm very curious to know is why a hero like you lies." Copter looked like a little kid who was caught causing trouble, and Katie found this adorable. "Hey, listen, it's OK. If it makes you feel better, that camera wasn't really recording." she said, patting him on the back. "It's GUN, mostly." Copter said, "They've always been out to get me." Katie started packing up her camera. "You don't have to worry about me. I may be a news hound, but I can keep a secret!"

As Katie and Copter left the beach, Copter couldn't shake the feeling someone was watching him. Up in a high floor of the hotel nearby, a brown raccoon watched him with binoculars. "At last, I've found you!" he muttered to himself, "And what's more, I've found a nice bargaining chip." He put away his binoculars and picked a sheathed sword up from beside the window. "Of course, if all else fails, this won't." He started laughing as he thought of his plan. "Another day, another hunt! It won't be too long before I have everything I need!" He gazed over at a picture he'd placed on the table. It was a picture of a dark blue squirrel girl. "Nothing will stand in my way, ever again."

Copter and Katie went their separate ways. It was getting late, and Katie needed to go home. Copter, on the other hand, had nothing but time. As he wandered the streets, exploring the city, he was eventually spotted by a familiar face. "Tails! Good to see you!" Amy's voice came from behind him. He turned around and she realized her error. "Ooops, it's just you, Copter. I gotta get my eyes checked..." she said. "I suppose you were hoping that I was Tails because that might mean Sonic was in town?" Copter asked. Amy noticed something odd about him, something only she could notice. "Say, Copter... You seem... different..." she said. Copter placed his hands on his hips and shut his eyes, sighing an irritated sigh. "How so?" he asked, humoring her. Amy took him by the hand and led him in a circle. "Joyous day for Copter! He's in love!" she cheered. Copter pulled his hand free and backed away from her. "Are you always this nuts? What makes you say I'm..." he began to say, and Amy answered quickly. "In love? I can tell! So, who is it? Anyone I know? Have you told her how you feel yet?" All these questions took Copter a bit off guard. "I-I don't know what... No, I haven't told her..." he said hurriedly. Amy frowned at him. "Oh, that won't do! You gotta tell her! You can't keep such a feeling all bottled up inside, you'll explode!" she said scoldingly. "H-hold on! I only just met her!" Copter protested. This only got Amy's romantic thoughts going more. "Love at first sight! How cute! Just like me, when I met Sonic..." She sighed longingly, reminiscing about when she first met Sonic. Copter turned and ran toward the hotel while she was distracted. "Uh, nice talking to ya, but I gotta get a hotel room for the night! See ya!" he shouted. Amy waved as he left. "Good luck with your romance, Copter! I hope you can be as happy as me someday!"

Copter couldn't sleep that night. There was far too much on his mind. Amy was right, the fact he'd said nothing ate away at him viciously. However, that wasn't all he was worried about. Earlier that day, he'd revisited the Mystic Ruins. It turned out, Shadow Arcangel had taken off again! While Copter was certain Bucky would not do anything drastic for a while, he was still concerned. Bucky's misdeeds had gotten Copter imprisoned once, and he feared it may happen again. "Since I may not have much time... I have to tell her how I feel..." he thought. Still, it wasn't the first time he'd felt he loved someone. During the day of the Kosmogon, Copter had felt something for Rainbow and Cream at certain times. Perhaps this wasn't love exactly, but it had to be something...

The next evening, Copter stumbled sleepily out of the hotel. He'd spent the whole day trying to sleep, but didn't get much. Now, it was rather late the next day. "Should've listened to Amy..." he thought. As he was about to cross the street, Mia's taxi cab pulled up to him. "Get in, now!" Mia ordered. Copter hesitated, so she opened the door and pulled him in really quickly, and sped away toward the busy streets of Station Square. "Hey, what's going on!? You do know kidnapping is illegal here, don't you?" Copter shouted angrily. Mia let out a sort of angry laugh. "Now that's irony! Here, read this!" she said, handing Copter a scrap of paper. Copter read what was written on the paper aloud. "Dear Skunk-Looking Fox, I highly suggest you bring your tailband to Speed Highway by 10:00. Otherwise, I'll just have to test the sharpness of my blade on your little girlfriend. Warmest regards, Conan the 'Coon." Mia nodded as she drove. "Yeah, do you have that tailband thing the note's talking about?" she said gruffly. Copter re-read the note and scratched his head. "I don't have a girlfriend...yet..." he said, mystified. Mia took the note back with one hand and continued steering with the other. "He thinks Katie's your girlfriend. Now do you have the trinket or what?!" she shouted. Copter fully realized what was going on and grabbed the band from his tail. "Shoot, he's after the Tailbands of Chaos!? How'd he learn about them? And... He's got Katie!?" Mia let out an irritated groan. "Not very fast in the head, are ya? That raccoon's insane! He's got this sword and... You're gonna help Katie or I'll personally kill you!" she shouted. Copter nodded in agreement. "I can't believe I got her in such trouble so quickly..." he thought, horrified at the situation he'd caused.

Mia's cab soon reached the meeting place at Speed Highway. It was on a blocked off bridge, so Mia stopped next to the cones blocking the bridge. She rushed Copter out of the cab. "Go, go, go! I'll be right back with the cops, okay?" she said. Copter shook his head. "No police. This is my mess, and I'll fix it." he told her. Mia gave him another angry laugh. "No thanks, pal. If you don't want police involvement, you better wrap it up quick, before I get back!" As Copter walked past the cones and onto the bridge, Mia's cab drove away quickly and recklessly. "She cares, I'll give her that..." Copter thought, running to reach the meeting place. He only had a few minutes left before 10:00, so he had to hurry!

Copter soon learned why the bridge was blocked off. It led to a dead end, high above the ground. Conan was waiting there with Katie, who had been tied up. Conan wore a grey hat and a black cape. A belt around his waist held the sheath to his sword. As Copter approached, he drew the sword, a silver blade with a golden hilt. "It took you long enough, didn't it, vermin?" Conan said deviously, "Have you brought the item?" Copter held it in his hand and showed it to him. Conan had a wicked smile on his face. "That's nice. Would you happen to have the other one?" he asked. Copter closed his fist over the tailband. "You never said anything about both of them! And you're not getting this one until you let Katie go!" he growled. "How bold. But I know the tailbands were hidden together. Where is the second one?" Conan demanded. "Let Katie go, then we'll talk!" Copter shouted. Conan looked over at his captive. "This is getting us nowhere, isn't it? G'bye, love!" he said, pushing Katie over the ledge! Copter leapt over the edge after her, slipping the tailband on his tail along the way and catching Katie before she could fall far! Copter flew back to the bridge and landed a safe distance away from Conan. He quickly untied Katie so she could move. "Hide. This won't be pretty." Copter instructed her. Katie gave him a quick kiss on the cheek before running off. "Good luck, Copter!" she said.

Copter turned to Conan, who had pointed his sword toward Copter. "Very impressive. Just the sort of defiance I expect from GeneX Experiment 2!" he growled, swinging the sword to his side. Copter clenched his fists and bared his teeth, ready for a fight. "Just who are you, Conan? What do you want with the tailbands!?" he shouted. "My dear boy, it's power I want! As for me, I am the ultimate treasure hunter! And this... This blade is one of the many treasures I've unearthed! The Chaos Sword! Let me show you what it can do.... Blade, grant me power! Chao Spear!" Conan pointed the blade at Copter again, and a Chaos Spear blasted forth from it! Copter was taken off guard and it knocked him on his back. Conan laughed as he approached the wounded fox. "The old world was truly amazing, wasn't it? Now, die!" Copter quickly rolled out of the way as Conan thrust his sword at him. As he stood up he was struck by another Chaos Spear, and in order to get away from the attacks he had to fly behind Conan. "Nice try!" Conan shouted as he pointed his sword behind him and sent more spears after Copter with surprising accuracy. Copter swiftly avoided the attacks as Conan turned toward him, which allowed him more accuracy. In moments, Copter found a barrage of spears coming straight at him, and all he could do was try to block with his tails. As he did this, the tailband glowed and emitted a blast of energy that negated the spears. Copter slowly lowered his guard when he realized he wasn't being hit. "What was that...?" he muttered. "Tapping into its power eh? Ha! I'll find you!" Conan shouted, looking around. Copter was puzzled. "What's he looking for?" he thought. Suddenly, Conan spun in a circle with his blade pointing forward, firing spears all around him. A spear struck Copter and knocked him over. "Ah, I see. You didn't move. I do wonder if you even know you're invisible!" Conan laughed as he approached Copter. "I'm invisible?! What are you talking about!?" Copter grunted, standing up. "It's a shame you're so stupid. I almost hoped you might keep me amused!" Conan said, swinging his sword at Copter, who quickly jumped out of the way. As Copter landed behind Conan, the raccoon simply spun around and smacked him with a Chaos Spear. As Copter tumbled forward from the attack, he suddenly noticed that his tailband had stopped glowing. "Can't control the tailband, eh?" Conan observed, chuckling softly at Copter's confusion. Copter turned to face Conan. "My tailband can make me invisible? But I guess since it stopped glowing, I'm visible again, aren't I?" he asked. "Oh, you DO catch on!" Conan said in mock surprise. "Now, once again, die!" The raccoon lunged after Copter with his blade, but Copter quickly jumped into the air and hit Conan in the head with his tails, knocking the raccoon backward hard. Conan had been taken by surprise, and the hit was sending him over the edge of the bridge. "Not totally clueless, eh? We'll meet again, Experiment 2!!!!" he yelled, seemingly falling to his doom. Copter, however, knew better. "Someone like that always has a contingency plan. He WILL be back... And next time he'll know that I know BOTH powers of the tailband..."

Copter found Katie back where Mia had dropped him off earlier. "I don't think we'll see him for a while." he said. Katie ran up to Copter and hugged him tightly. "Thank goodness, you're all right! What are ya, crazy? You should've waited for the police!" she said, holding back tears. "What is it with everyone and cops today? Doesn't anyone trust me even a little? I DID help beat the Kosmogon!" Copter grumbled. Katie released him from her embrace and looked away. "I'm sorry, I know. You don't need help." They could hear a siren heading their way after a moment. "I think I'd better go." Copter said, walking away. Katie ran to his side. "Shouldn't you stay and talk to the police?" he asked. "Mia will explain everything well. She's good at that sort of thing. And I'd rather walk home with you." she said, taking his arm. "Well, um... O...K..." Copter muttered nervously. Copter can sure be shy when the mood takes him.

They walked slowly on their way to Katie's house. Copter kept his head down most of the way, afraid to look at her. It was apparently up to Katie to make conversation. "I see you on the train a lot." Katie said, "What brings you there so often?" Copter shrugged. "I'm on a journey. Sort of...searching for something." he replied. "Really? What are you searching for?" Katie wondered. Copter thought for a moment. "I'm not really sure. I'll know it once I've found it." Katie laughed a bit. "Are you sure? Hard to know you've found something if you don't know what you're looking for! Still, I do have faith in you. You'll find it." It was a bit cold out, and Copter thought she might be cold, so he put his arm around her, huddling close for warmth. "Who knows? Maybe I already have..." he said quietly. A few moments later, Copter managed to muster his courage to say what was on his mind, "Katie... I think I love you..." Katie smiled at him. "I think I love you, too." she said.


The next day, Conan searched the city for Copter, but did not find him. He had survived his fall through his own special methods, and now wanted revenge. "No one defeats me! No one! I may have been caught off guard last time, but next time, he WILL die!" he thought, holding the picture of the squirrel girl. "I will find all of the Chaos treasures, just you wait and see!"

To be continued...

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment