Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 4 - The Report Heard Round The World

A five chapter intro to the next story. Begins right where Tails the Fox left off, with Copter searching for his own place in the world...

Chapter 4 - The Report Heard Round The World

Chapter 4 - The Report Heard Round The World
GeneX - A New Beginning
Chapter 4 - The Report Heard Round The World

Note: Sonic the Hedgehog and related characters are (c) SEGA and
Sonic Team. You knew that, right?
GeneX and related fanchars are (c) 2BIT, the author. (also known as TheGreatGator)

"And now, it's time for an important SSTV News Bulletin!" are the first words Punchy hears upon turning on Rainbow's television set (a rather old model, by the way). The two sit down to hear what the big message is. At the same time, Copter is catching the report on a large screen that was recently installed in Station Square's train station. It is a few days after Bucky was in the city, and now Copter had at last returned. Elsewhere, in front of an electronics store, a purple creature wearing a brown trench coat was watching the report on the TVs in the store window. His glowing yellow eyes were fixed on the screen...

Katie the Coyote appeared on screen to break the story. "Today, the military has released a list of dangerous fugitives that are loose here in the Untited Federation. The list was compiled by GUN's very own Sergeant Richard Jackson Gunner, who is here with us to provide further details." After that introduction, the camera turned toward Gunner, who was standing nearby. Spy was standing behind him, holding up a sign that read "Hi Mom!" Gunner cleared his throat and began his sinister speech. "Citizens of the United Federation. I come today with a dire warning. In the past few weeks, a terrible threat has been unleashed on our great nation. The most sinister manifestation of which was the giant dragon that nearly destroyed Station Square recently." The purple creature in front of the electronics store growled angrily at that statement. "That is taken completely out of context! He forgot to mention how he was the one who drove me so mad!" His complaints go unheard, and Gunner's speech continues. "Shortly prior to that, similar forces, led by one who escaped military custody, stole the Chaos Emeralds, which were used to release that abomination!" Punchy spit out the soda he was drinking when he heard this. "That underhanded jackanape! He's gonna pin this on me when he was the one that released Experiment 3 in the end!?" he shouted. "Calm down, One. Mind your inner darkness!" Rainbow warned. Sergeant Gunner's slander continued. "These six menaces have been known to work with the notorious Dr. Eggman, and are to be considered a great threat. Therefore, I beseech each and every one of you out there watching; If you happen to see any of the five GeneX Experiments or their sinister creator, call the police immediately. I fear to think what would happen if they were left to accomplish their dark, malicious goals..." As Gunner's speech came to a close, the camera returned to Katie. "Wanted posters are being sent throughout the nation so that everyone can be aware of what the fugitives look like. After the commercial, we'll be showing all you viewers the wanted posters as well, don't go away!"

Copter froze during the commercial break. He couldn't believe it. Katie, the same girl who had told him she loved him only a few days ago, was now betraying him to all of Station Square! "This can't be happening... I trusted her..." he thought. Suddenly, he noticed that everyone in the station was staring at him. Copter looked up at the screen, and saw the six wanted posters displayed. There was Punchy, Vortex, Kosmo, Bucky, Zipp... and of course, Copter himself. He looked around the station as the fearful eyes of the citizens looked from him to the screen and back to him. Their fear turned to anger, then to hatred. Copter realized that it was no longer safe where he was. He addressed the gathering crowd in order to stall for time. "Umm... Gee, you sure can hear crazy things on TV... I once saw this show where this guy was claiming to have been to Saturn..." The crowd grew restless fast, and started shouting hateful things to Copter, who stepped backward toward the door slowly. "OK, wanna see some magic? Nothing up my gloves..." He turned and ran out the door. "Ta-da! I made myself disappear!" he shouted, running off through the streets to escape the furious mob.


Bucky, Vortex, and Zipp sat in front of a TV screen in Shadow Arcangel's control room. "We hooked up the TV for thissss?" Vortex hissed, glaring at the wanted posters. "I don't look like that!" Zipp growled, tossing a knife at the screen, which missed and landed on the floor. Bucky stood up and walked to the controls of the ship, gazing out the still broken window. "I knew this was coming. That's why I'm glad we collected so many rings. I just hope the other experiments don't do anything foolish." he said. Zipp hopped into the air and hovered beside Vortex, who had turned to look out the window as well. "I'm beginning to think Kosmo had the right idea! Kill them all and they'll leave us alone!" Zipp snorted. Bucky shook his head. "That's not the way. We must find a way to coexist with everyone else. This witch hunt, however, is a very nasty obstacle. Yet if we fight back, we just make them right!" Bucky slammed his fist against the control panel, furious with the recent turn of events. Vortex looked at the emerald terminal nearby, which held a fake Chaos Emerald inside it. "The fake emeraldsss are almossst out of power. Are you ssssure the ringsss can power thisss ssship?" he asked. Bucky turned to him. "They already are. I installed a few before we took off. That's why the fake emeralds aren't losing power. Because we're not using them. If we were, they'd be useless already." he explained. Zipp flew to another terminal, which held a fake red emerald. "How can rings power this ship, anyway?" he said. "The ship was designed to run on rings by the ancient people who first built it. The emerald terminals there were added by another people that took over the ship when its creators disappeared. A single ring can power this ship for a few hours, but the rings have grown weaker over the centuries. There was a time when one ring would power the ship for months! Though a lot of this ship and its history is still unknown to me, I have been able to determine that the ancients who built this ship relied heavily on ring power. Perhaps they were even the creators of the rings!" Bucky explained. Zipp dropped from his hovering place and landed on his head. "Ooof! You nearly put me to sleep! I didn't ask for a history lesson!" Bucky chuckled heartily at Zipp's remarks. "Sorry. Vortex, man the controls. I must resume work on the next generation of GeneX!" he said, heading for the exit to the control room. "Come, Zipp! Your banter will keep me focused!" Zipp flew over and picked up his knife before following Bucky. "I'll show you my new juggling act! Just let me find another knife!" he said excitedly as he left. Vortex manned the controls and sighed heavily. "I sssure hope experiment sssseven isss ssssmarter than Zipp..."


As another news day came to a close, Katie made her way out of the news studio, met by Chet on the way. "I can't believe they wouldn't let me see the wanted posters during the broadcast. Well, I'm checking them out on the way out the door! Are they posted there, Chet?" she asked him. Chet nodded. "I think I saw some of those guys at Twinkle Park the other day. Scary thought." he said. As they neared the main entrance, Katie rushed to the bulletin board and gasped as she looked at the posters for the first time. "Oh, my gosh! This can't be!" she shrieked, causing Chet to rush to her side. "What's up? Are you OK? You look like you've seen a ghost!" he said. Katie began sobbing uncontrollably. "Wh-what have I done? That's Copter up there!" Chet placed his arm around her and dried her tears with a hankie. "One of them a friend of yours?" he asked. Katie was too distraught to respond. She knew Copter was present during the fight against the Kosmogon, but she had no idea that he was related to it in any way! Chet did not quite understand why she was so upset, but tried his best to comfort her as he led her out of the building. "It'll be okay... We'll do whatever we can to fix this..." he said, hoping they could. However, it was far too late to take it back now. The damage had been done.


Razor was off duty for the moment, so he took a break at his favorite watering hole, the Neon Tavern, known by those who frequently visit as "Bill's Bar." Having recently turned 21, Razor could order whatever he wanted, but always settled for soda. Today was no exception. Bill and Bob were both moving to and fro behind the counter, serving customers. That didn't stop Bill from chatting with his favorite customer, Razor. "What's up today, Raze? You on the hunt for them terrorists still?" he asked. Razor took a sip from his drink before replying. "It's a madhouse at the station. Since all of the fugitives have been spotted around sometime or other during the week, Station Square's bein' called a hot zone. By the way..." Razor reached into his pocket and handed Bill a wad of cash. "For your trouble. That GUN agent's a real nasty customer. Still, he means well. He rescued Mia from some maniac that night." he said. Bill chuckled. "Hoo boy... She got herself in trouble again? Was the whole gang there?" he asked. Razor nodded. "They left before I got there. Lucky thing Chet came back to town when he did. Katie nearly bought the farm, but he saved her again." he explained. Suddenly, a ringing was heard in the bar. After a moment, Razor checked his cell phone. "It's mine..." he muttered as he answered it. "Yo, big bro! It's me!" It was Tommy. "Hey there, little guy, what's the good word?" Razor said. "I'm soooo bored... Thought I'd see if you were doin' anything exciting..." Tommy replied in a drowsy voice. "My work's dangerous, Tom, you know that. Why don't you go help out at the station again. They need all they can get." Razor suggested. "All I get to do there is sort papers. I'm tryin' to reduce my boredom, not make it worse!" Tommy protested. "Well, it's better than wasting time! It's about time for me to get back to work, so I'll talk to you later, bro. G'bye!" Razor hung up his phone and started on his way out the door. Bill stopped him. "You gonna pay fer that soda!?" he shouted. "Tab!" Razor shouted back, rushing through the door. Bill glared at the doorway. "He's lucky he's my friend. And a cop. Or I'd..." he trailed off. Bob tapped Bill's shoulder. "We need cash to make the rent, Bill!" he said. Bill nodded, then stood up on his stool. "Right, I'm callin' in all yer tabs!" Before he even finished his sentence, the bar emptied as everyone fleed paying their immense bills. "Thanks for nothing, bums!" Bill shouted, climbing down from the stool. Rather than complain to Bob, Bill simply began cleaning glasses.


Copter was furious. After getting by the initial shock of what had happened, he decided that Katie must have known exactly what she was doing, and now Copter was searching for her to confirm his suspicians. "She must've known I was one of the experiments. How long has she known? Does she really think me some criminal? After I saved her life!?" His thoughts ran uncontrollably, filling him with a terrible fear and intense paranoia. He was walking along a busy street when he spotted her on the other side. She and Chet were walking hand in hand, talking and laughing. Copter's eyes went wide and his jaw dropped. "She's got a boyfriend...? But I thought..." before Copter could complete his thought, he heard a siren nearby. Razor was on a police motorcycle, and he stopped a few meters from Copter. "Hey, you! Experiment! Freeze! You are under arrest!" he shouted. Copter glared defiantly at Razor. "The Hell I am! On what charge? Existing? Fine, try and catch me if you dare!" With those fiery words, Copter ran into the street and blocked another motorcyclist, who skidded to a stop quickly. Copter jumped at the motorcycle, and the rider hopped off and ran away in terror, possibly because he knew who Copter was. "Thanks for the bike!" Copter shouted, taking off as fast as the motorcycle would go! Razor sighed in annoyance. "Resisting arrest of course. You'll be sorry." He took off after Copter as fast as he could, though with a little more regard for the safety of those on the road.

Copter had never driven a motorcycle before, and it was extremely difficult to keep himself from hitting anything. Luckily for him, his unpredictability did make it difficult for Razor to keep up with him, much less shoot out his tires, which is what he was attempting. "This guy's gonna kill himself and anyone in his way! I have to stop him!" Razor thought, doing his best to aim his gun and steer the motorcycle at the same time. Copter, in the meantime, was having trouble focusing on the situation at hand. The events of the day had really gotten to him. When he woke up in the morning, everything seemed much simpler than it did now. He'd been looking forward to seeing Katie again, but now he felt betrayed. His mind racing, he struggled to keep focused enough to steer the motorcycle. Since it was dangerous on the crowded streets, so he turned at the first opportunity. Razor followed behind very stubbornly. "You obviously can't drive that thing! Pull over before you hurt someone!" Razor shouted, to no avail. Copter was too busy thinking to listen anyway. He simply sped up in hopes of losing Razor. Copter turned whenever he could, hoping to find a road he recognized, and Razor struggled to maintain pursuit. "I gotta make him stop, but I can't risk shooting at him. Odds are, I'd hit a civilian!" Razor thought, weighing his options. Soon, however, Copter found a street he recognized. It was a road rarely visited, and Copter could use the space in order to figure out how to better control his vehicle. Followed by Razor, he tore down the street, passing a dark alley with a secret...

The noise got the attention of the only nearby resident in this forgotten part of the city. Namely, Rainbow and her guest, Punchy! The two of them climbed out of the sewer to see what the commotion was. "We never get traffic 'round here, One! I wonder who it could be..." Rainbow said, gazing down the street in the direction the noise came from. In a moment, though, Copter and Razor passed by them again, coming from the opposite direction, as Copter had turned at the end of the street. Copter passed by his old "friends" too quickly to acknowledge that he saw them, not that he would have had he been going any slower. Punchy watched as Copter was chased to the end of the street and then turned out of sight. "Looks like the police aren't wasting any time rounding us up..." Punchy noted, a bit worried. "You think they saw us?" he asked Rainbow, who was waving in the direction Copter had gone. "Bye, Two! Stay longer next time!" she said, then turned to Punchy. "I don't think it's safe for you out here, One! Better get back underground!" she suggested. Punchy shook his head. "Can't. I know Copter. He don't belong locked up. Heck, I'd say he's more innocent in all this than I am! I have to bring him back here, so he'll be safe!" As he started to head off after Copter, Rainbow grabbed him by the arm and looked at him worriedly. Punchy didn't give her the chance to speak, "Stay out of sight. If they find you helping us, you'll be under arrest, too." Rainbow let go of his arm and watched him run after Copter. "Good luck, One..." she whispered.


The Station Square police station also housed the only prison facility in the city, which was more a temporary holding area for the more dangerous criminals detained there. It had taken longer than anyone would have liked, but the transport to the higher security prisons would arrive that night. Since there was delay, Conan was still being held in his temporary cell in Station Square, awaiting the transport. He had no plans to get on the transport, though. Yes, he would be leaving that night, but not with the other murderers and cutthroats. "Yes, Paulsy, my man, I'll be free once again when that transport arrives!" Conan sighed, lying against the wall of his cell. His cell mate, however, was skeptical. "Sure, you're gonna escape. And I'm gonna become queen of Soleanna. You're nothin' but talk." he grumbled, gazing down at the raccoon with hatred only learned through terrible deeds. Conan looked up at him sleepily. "You know, Paulsy, you have been disturbing my sleep all week. Maybe you need to lie down..." Before "Paulsy" knew what was happening, Conan jumped to his feet and pushed the man against the wall, holding one hand over his mouth while the other choked the life out of him! It took only a moment, and the few guards around were in the middle of changing shifts. Conan had killed the killer so quickly and efficiently, it was easy to pass him off as sleeping. "Ah, well, Paulsy. You did say you were on death row, anyway. You've just been spared the crummy last meal they would've given you. Pleasant dreams, pal..."


Copter's cycle driving improved quickly. He was able to move faster as a result, but as Copter's driving became less unpredictable, Razor found it easier to pursue him. Copter was now speeding through the bridge at Radical Highway, when Razor gave him one final warning. "Pull over, experiment, or I'll be forced to shoot out your tires!" Copter responded by looking back and sticking his tongue out at Razor. He only looked back for a second, but it was long enough to cause him to crash his motorcycle into the side of the bridge! The impact sent him flying over the side of the bridge! Razor pulled over near the wreakage of Copter's motorcycle and glanced down the side of the bridge. "Stupid idiot!" he groaned, seeing no sign of Copter, "Why don't anyone ever listen to me?" As Razor turned to leave, Copter flew back up from under the bridge, apparently unharmed. "OK... I pulled over..." he said, panting with exhaustion. Razor spun around and aimed his gun at Copter. "Hands on your head!" he ordered. Normally, Copter would've just flown away, but he just didn't have the energy for it now, so he did as he was told. As Razor approached Copter with a pair of handcuffs, a jet of flame flew past both of them from behind Razor! The two of them looked in the direction the blast came from to see the Kosmogon flying towards them! At least, it looked like the Kosmogon, but much smaller than the version Copter had faced before. Kosmo flew under the bridge, and Razor ran over to the side to look for him. While Razor searched for a dragon at one side of the bridge, Kosmo flew back up through the other side in his gargoyle form. Upon landing on the bridge, he reverted to his normal form. "Run for it, Copter. I'll distract him!" he whispered. Copter nodded, "Just don't hurt anyone. You don't want me to have to kick your rear again!" Kosmo pointed away from the area. "Just get going! Don't make me reconsider this!" As Copter began to run away, Razor spun around and aimed his gun at him, then at Kosmo once he noticed him. "Freeze, monster!" he growled, having decided Kosmo was the greater threat. Kosmo held out his arms. "All right. Cuff me, officer, I've been baaaaad..." he said. Razor slowly stepped over to Kosmo and cuffed him, when Kosmo suddenly transformed into a bee! "Whoops, they don't fit me!" Kosmo chuckled, tossing the cuffs aside. "Aw well, better luck next time, constable!" Before Razor could fire a shot, Kosmo flew off over the bridge! Razor tried, but couldn't manage to hit the morph. He was further frustrated by the realization that Copter was long gone now. He tossed his now empty gun to the ground in frustration. "They're gonna love this back at the station..."


Copter really didn't have any idea as to where he should go. It seemed to him that once again, he was all alone without any friends. In the end, he decided that there was one person he had to see. He had to confront Katie, and find out for himself if she really did betray him. Therefore, his next stop became Katie's house. He wasted no time getting there, and as he went to ring the doorbell, he heard voices coming from inside. "Perhaps I shouldn't let them know I'm here yet..." he thought, "I might get more honest answers if I eavesdrop..."

Katie and Chet were just beyond her front door, in her living room. Their conversation had apparently been going on for some time. "It's all right, Katie, don't cry." Chet said, drying tears from Katies eyes, "I'm sure he'll be all right. We'll talk to the police in the morning and see if we can't get this all straightened out." Katie shook her head slightly. "No, it's not that. It's the deception. Copter never told me he was... one of them... I thought we trusted each other, but he didn't tell me the whole truth..." Chet put his arms around her, holding her tightly. "I'm sure he had his reasons. Even so, it doesn't really mean anything. Maybe he didn't think it was all that important for you to know." Katie returned his embrace and smiled. "At least I know I can trust you, Chet." They eased out of their embrace, gazed briefly into each other's eyes, then kissed each other.

Copter had looked in through the window at that point, and right then and there had all he could take. He rang the doorbell, but found he couldn't even wait for them to open the door, so instead he bashed it in with a powerful blow from his tails! "Foul, trecherous, two-timing dog!" he yelled, bursting into the room just as they ended their kiss. Chet and Katie quickly jumped out of each others' arms as Copter pointed an accusing finger at Katie. "I saved your life, then you condemned mine! You told me you loved me, but here I find you kissing this guy! What else do you plan to do to me, you hag!" he roared. Just then, Chet stood up between Copter and Katie. The cheetah was a bit taller than Copter, and might've seemed intimidating to him if he wasn't so angry. "Now wait just a minute, you dirty skunk! Don't you DARE speak to her like that again!" Chet warned. Copter opened his mouth to speak but didn't get the chance. "Shut your trap, and listen up! She had no interest in betraying you. That newscast was aired BEFORE she got to see just who these experiments were. She had no idea who you were. Maybe you should've told her something before, then maybe she'd have done something differently! And as for your romance..." he turned to Katie as his voice trailed off. "Was there a romance?" Katie sat there with her arms crossed, looking at the ground. "I told him I loved him. You know I say that to all my friends... He just took it the wrong way..." Chet turned back to Copter. "It's apparent that you haven't known her long. She loves all her friends. Doesn't mean she's IN love with them!" Copter turned away from them for a moment, lost in thought. "Th-that... She... you... How could I have known that? The truth is, you let me believe it anyway..." he muttered. Katie rose to her feet, looking apologetically at Copter. "I'm sorry if I hurt you... I didn't mean it. Could we be friends anyway?" Chet put his hand on Copter's shoulder. "How about it. Truce?" Copter went rigid when Chet touched him. He stayed perfectly still for a moment, then spun around and punched Chet in the jaw! Chet fell backward onto the couch, and Katie rushed to see if he was all right. "I don't need any friends." Copter growled, walking out the doorway. "Farewell."


Back at Shadow Arc, Experiment 7 had been completed. A masterpiece, the fruit of all Bucky's research. Zipp was waiting outside the lab when the door slid open, and Bucky scurried out to announce his newest creation. "Experiment 4, you are fortunate to be here! May I now present the newest addition to our ranks! The first of its kind, and the seventh of your kind, say hello to the phoenix!" Through the doorway stepped a fire red bird, wearing one of Bucky's old lab coats. It was beautiful. It was legendary. It was...

"A girl!?" Zipp gasped. It was, after all, the first female experiment created. Bucky smiled like a proud parent. "That she is. Why don't you introduce yourself, Experiment 7! What name would you like to be called?" he asked. Experiment 7 looked around the area. She was a bit dazed, having not been alive long. "I... I don't... Understand..." she finally said. Bucky chuckled. "No rush. Look around our home, but stay with Zipp. That's him, there. I'm feeling inspired, so I'm going to start my next experiment immediately." Without delay, Bucky walked past Experiment 7 and re-entered his lab, shutting the door behind him. Zipp flew over to the newbie to get a better look at her. "Ah, lovely. Always wanted a sister. Allow me to explain us... Team GeneX." he said, flying a distance in front of her. "Follow me, ma'am. I'll show you around while we talk." The phoenix, still new to the world, followed Zipp slowly and tried to comprehend everything that was happening. Zipp spoke while they walked. "Here's how I see us. We are the few, the proud, the fake. Face it, we came off an assembly line. Old man Bucky wants to call you the first phoenix in existance, but you're just a science fair project, like the rest of us. We don't count. At least, not in the eyes of all those so called 'real' creatures. They don't accept us, because we don't have a mother. No, we just have a doctor. Crazy rat don't give his own behind about us anyhow, I reckon. He just wants to use us for his own ends. But, he's my pappy, so I grin and bear it. So, anyway, I forgot to introduce myself! I'm Experiment 4, Zipp the hornet!" Heather said his name, just to see if she could, while Zipp continued. But she was no longer paying muchg attention to him. "I'm not real? I was created by that rat? I won't be accepted? But why? I don't understand... Does everyone hate me? That's not fair! I won't stand for this!" she thought. Anger began to fill her heart. And with anger, can darkness not be far behind?

To be continued...

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment