Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 23 - Demon Island

Knuckles battles mysterious new foes bent on stealing the Master Emerald!

Meanwhile, Punchy and Rainbow have discovered Rainbow's sister... But is she an enemy?

Chapter 23 - Demon Island

Chapter 23 - Demon Island
GeneX - Knuckles the Echidna
Chapter 23 - Demon Island
Stage 14(Dark 7) - Despair Corridors
Minor Boss 10 - Patch & Daisy

Note: Sonic the Hedgehog and related characters are (c) SEGA and
Sonic Team. You knew that, right?
GeneX and related fanchars are (c) 2BIT (TheGreatGator), the author.

The story thus far:
Separated from Rainbow, Punchy went out in search of her, but found her sister Violet instead. To secure her aid finding Rainbow, Punchy went looking for a key to the deepest chamber of a sunken ruin. Inside was the Chaos Wing, a golden cape, but Freeze got away with it. After getting into a battle with the Deathbringer, the ruins started to collapse! Violet was forced to drag Punchy away from the Deathbringer. On the way out, Punchy saw a vision of Tikal, Shadow Chaos, and a mysterious wolf named Howler. He awoke in Troblusk City with Violet, and they set out to find Rainbow at last.
Meanwhile, Kosmo went on his own journey through Sandopolis and Lava Reef Zone. Reaching a secret chamber of Hidden Palace Zone, he was drawn into a battle with GUN's Hotfoot mech! When GUN and Fera were about to launch attacks that would destroy the secret chamber, Kosmo hurriedly rescued Experiment 14, Carrie, who sent him to Angel Island to begin with.
Now, on to the next chapter!


Kosmo and Carrie were just outside Sandopolis, having just recently gotten out of the pyramid. "Well... thanks for your help." said Carrie, standing a bit awkwardly. "What was all that about, anyway?" Kosmo wondered. "The ruins told the story of the Chaos Relics. Seems like the Covenant of Despair didn't want anyone to know about it." Carrie explained. "And what do you know about it?" Kosmo asked. Carrie sighed. "I was there to support Bucky, Kosmo... He's my creator..." she said. Kosmo growled softly at the mention of Bucky. "But he's NOT our father! He's made that plenty clear to me!" he snapped. Suddenly, someone called out to Carrie. "Fourteen!!" said Talon the griffin as he flew toward them. Carrie rolled her eyes. "Yeesh! What's the big emergency, 'Fifteen!?' Can't you see I'm talking, here?!" she shouted. "Huh?" Talon muttered, glancing at Kosmo, "Oh, hey there... I'm Experiment 15... Who are you?" he asked. "Experiment 3..." Kosmo grumbled. Carrie crossed her arms impatiently. "What IS it?" she snapped. "I need your help! I... I've run into a bit of trouble infiltrating the Covenant of Despair..." Talon admitted. Carrie stared at him in bewilderment. "What.... You mean they saw you!?" she groaned, "I guess we'll have to pick up this conversation later, Kosmo!" she sighed, starting off with Talon. "Hmm... Maybe..." Kosmo muttered, watching them. "Come on, ya klutz!" Carrie shouted to Talon. "Sorry!!" he groaned. Unbeknownst to them, Kosmo morphed into a mouse and started to follow them inconspicuously...


Figuring on checking to see if Rainbow had gone home, Punchy and Violet arrived in Station Square. To avoid attracting attention, Violet had made a stop to change her clothes before taking the train, and was now wearing a simple, pale lavender miniskirt with blue along the edges. She looked much more similar to Rainbow in this outfit. As the two echidnas started their stroll through the city, they noticed Copter standing next to a taxi cab, talking to Mia, the driver. "Stop beating yourself up, Copter... You can't control everything." Mia was saying. "I guess... But I don't know what the heck I was thinking! That whole thing was disaster waiting to happen!" Copter groaned. Once Violet recognized him, she immediately grew furious. "YOU! What are you doing loitering around here!? Didn't you have a mission!?" she yelled, making Copter jump! "Ummm.... Hey, Punchy. And, Violet! Nice outfit. Are you two out on a date or something? 'Cuz I gotta warn ya, Punch, she's a nut." he muttered. "SHUT UP, COPTER!" both echidnas shouted at once! "I'm not on a date! I'm looking for Rainbow! She's Violet's sister! Have you seen her?" Punchy said. Before Copter could respond, Violet interrupted. "I'm a nut, am I?! How'd you like my foot up your--" Just then, Mia honked her horn to get everyone's attention. "Hey, guys! Does Rainbow have rainbow quills?" she asked. "Well... yeaaah...." Copter mumbled. Mia nodded. "I saw her follow that Experiment 3 creepo out of town... When I was on my way to visit Katie at the hospital." she said. Punchy crossed his arms. "Copter, did you put the reporter in the hospital?" he asked. Copter glared at him. "Why is that your first thought!? Why not Kosmo?" he protested. "You've got more reason." Punchy said. Violet was looking a bit concerned at this point. "My sister's following Kosmo?" she wondered. Copter groaned. "Ugh! I'm not gettin' away from him today, am I? Fine, let's get to Despair Castle and look for 'em." he said. "You mean... The Covenant of Despair's base!?" Punchy asked curiously. "Long story." Copter shrugged. Violet sighed. "And how will we get to Demon Island exactly? I kinda separated from the group to follow this clown!" she pointed out. "See, Copt? Would my date call me a clown?" Punchy said. "I could see that." Copter joked, "Well, I could call the Hurricane, but it only seats two." he muttered. "Anyone call a cab?" Mia grinned, pulling a special lever that caused her cab to transform! It suddenly sprouted wings, enabling its flight mode! "I warn ya, I charge extra for flight fare!" the cat smirked. Violet stood there looking dumbfounded, and Copter glanced at her and simply said "Don't ask..."

With Violet to guide them, the flying cab soon found its way to the dark, foreboding floating landmass known as Demon Island. Parking the cab in the outer woods, Mia remained behind while the others headed for the imposing black castle at the center of the island. As they drew close, they noticed the area was in an uproar. Basker the hound and Conan the raccoon were outside the front gate, and quickly spotted them. "Violet?? What are you doing out of uniform?" Basker asked. "Ah... Commander Basker..." was all Violet could manage to say. "You're behind this, aren't you, Copter!?" Conan shouted, clasping the hilt of his sheathed blade. "Behind.... what?" Copter stammered. "Intruders have infiltrated the castle. Some reports indicate that they are with GUN, but they have yet to be confirmed..." Basker explained. Copter frowned. "I don't work with GUN, Conan." he growled. "psst... Should I be hiding?" Punchy whispered, though he was ignored. "Violet! No time to change back into your uniform. Pray that your allies recognize you. Get looking for those intruders." Basker ordered. Violet stood up straight. "R-right! Yes, sir!" she said seriously. "What about Rainbow!?" Punchy complained. Violet turned in his direction. "Can it. You look for Rainbow! I've got friends here to account for, too!" she whisper-shouted. "Well... least you're not ditching her for evil..." Punchy whispered back. "Hey! Talk to your boyfriend on your own time!" Conan shouted. Punchy looked at him indignantly. "Do we really look like we're--" He was interrupted by Basker. "I don't care! You can help or stay out of the way! Pick one!" he said, turning back to the gate. "Nice chat, Conan." Copter muttered. "Next time, you must permit me to trim those scruffy tails of yours..." Conan replied, not letting go of his sword. "The intruders blew a hole in the wall. We'll head them off this way." Basker said, leading Violet and Conan inside. Copter and Punchy thus started looking for the hole in the wall. "Kosmo could be behind this. He was ticked about what happened to Katie..." Copter said. "What if Rainbow's with him? Oh boy..." Punchy gulped. "Hey by the way, what's with the Despair bracelet, Punchy?" Copter asked as they walked. "Well... don't panic if I suddenly go dark, okay?" Punchy sighed. They passed by a single grave stone with flowers left in front of it. Several names had been carved into the stone over time, it apparently being the only form of memorial the Covenant of Despair possessed. A violet and a daisy were carefully preserved at the very center of the memorial, directly in front of the stone. Copter stopped there, just for a moment, a melancholy look on his face. Despite his differences with the covenant, he still felt obliged to pay his respects...

Rouge the bat was flapping around the high ceiling just inside the castle where the hole in the wall was blown. She perched herself atop a demonic statue high on the wall, resting and waiting for the commotion below to die down. Soon, Copter and Punchy came through the hole in the wall, and quickly ran into Daisy the skunk and Patch the fox, who were standing guard at a nearby hall entrance. "Oh, hey. You're that guy that found the key at the underwater palace. Hey, what'd you do with Violet!?" Daisy questioned. "Hee huh? You kidnap her? Are you the intruder?? Can I kill you?" Patch asked excitedly. "Nice friends, Punchy." Copter smirked. Daisy looked from Punchy to Copter, then back at Punchy. "Wait, you're friends with that jerk, Copter!? That's even worse!" she yelled. "My friends? Sounds like you're the one they know, Copt." Punchy remarked. Suddenly, Rouge swooped down next to Punchy. "Guard, what're you... Aw, Punchy! Your green hide blew my cover!!" she shouted, having mistaken him for a certain gargoyle. "Rouge!?" Punchy gasped in confusion. Patch had a goofy look on his face when he saw the bat girl. "Burglars!! Hee hee! Hot winged burglars!" he babbled. Daisy growled and smacked him in the back of the head. "This is no time for hot wings... You little..." she grumbled. Just then, Fera emerged behind Patch and Daisy. "I've got it, you two." she said. "You! You're with the Covenant of Despair, too!" Punchy gasped. "Uhh... Uniform's a dead giveaway, Punchy." Copter muttered. "You didn't forget my name, did you? I'm Fera!! By the way, how's that delightful darkness of yours developing?" the wolf grinned. Punchy shrugged. "I guess it... Comes in handy?" he mumbled. Fera nodded. "Hm... And what's happened to your little friend?" she wondered, "Ah, well. Why don't you show us your progress?" she smirked. "Punchy.... You're not with the Covenant are you? You're not really THAT dumb, right?" Rouge asked. Fera frowned. "Silence! You'll answer for your treachery against furkind after we test Punchy's dark power!" she shouted.

Punchy shook his head. "I don't think now's a good time for Dark Punchy." he said. Copter nodded. "Good call, pal." he smiled. "Hee hee! Dummy! Anytime's a good time for darkness! If I could use it, I'd be zapping stuff like crazy!" Patch giggled. Fera crossed her arms. "Hmph... Daisy, Patch... I think he needs convincing. So convince him." she ordered. Daisy drew her katana, while Patch produced some nunchucks. "Easy, there... You're Violet's friends. I don't want to hurt ya..." Punchy said, backing away. "Well, I don't mind hurting those numbskulls!" Copter growled, rushing in only to get knocked backward by a blast of darkness from Fera! "We're testing PUNCHY... Though I sense darkness in you, too... but it's far to suppressed to be useful." she scoffed. Copter stood up slowly. "Huh? ...Whatever. Knock their heads together and let's go, Punchy!" he shouted. Patch's nunchucks slapped Punchy across the face, starting to get on his nerves as he laughed at him. "Hee hee! I'll pummel you into a pile of busted green quills!" he taunted. As Daisy slashed her sword at him, Punchy was forced to jump back to avoid a nasty cut. "You did something to Violet, didn't you!? Where is she!!?" the skunk shouted. This line of questioning made Punchy even madder. "Idiot! You're the ones who ditched her in a collapsing ruin!" he snapped, attempting to punch back, only to be easily evaded and whacked by Patch's nunchucks! "Ow!! Cut that out!!" he yelled. "Hee hee! I haven't even started trying to kill you yet." Patch grinned. "Punchy, don't let them get to you! That's what Fera wants!" Copter shouted. Punchy rolled his eyes. "I KNOW, you idiot! Why aren't you in here helping, anyway!?" he growled. Copter was about to say something, when he noticed Fera's hands glowing with dark energy. "Is she doing something to you...?" he wondered. As Daisy and Patch moved in for another attack, though, Rouge swooped in and tried to strike them, causing Fera to try to zap her like she'd done to Copter. She'd gotten pretty close, though, and Daisy got caught in the crossfire! "Yow!!!" she yelped. "Um... Oops." Fera frowned.

"Grrrrr!! Get out of the way!!" Punchy shouted furiously. "Hee... hee? Guy looks mad." Patch said, almost seriously. "That's it... Use that rage..." Fera whispered. The Despair Seal started to flash, and a wave of darkness shot from Punchy's body, knocking Daisy, Patch and Rouge away! "Rrrrrgh.... Wait.... E-enough!!" Punchy yelled, stopping darkness before it could take hold of him. "...What the heck are you!?" Daisy stammered. "I... I don't know..." Punchy panted. Fera shrugged and started to walk away, motioning for Daisy and Patch to follow her. "Let's secure these corridors..." she said. Once she was gone, Rouge approached Punchy. "Well, I'd say you owe me one for that... Care to help me look for the stuff the Covenant of Despair stole?" she asked. "Hm? You mean like the Chaos Boots?" Copter asked. Rouge smiled. "See? You're helping already. I knew this'd be worth it. We can also keep an eye out for any other Chaos-related trinket they got." she said. Punchy nodded. "Well... Might as well, while I look for Rainbow or Kosmo." he figured.

As they proceeded into the dark corridors of Despair Castle, they soon found some familiar faces fighting each other. Vector the crocodile was trying to catch E-2X Alpha as he flew around, shooting lasers randomly. "Huh? How'd these two even get up here!?" Punchy stammered. "You kidding? Eggman's robots get everywhere somehow." Rouge groaned. "Omigosh! It's another talking cucumber! And some flying fudge-pops!" Alpha gasped. "Did he just call us fudge-pops...?" Copter growled. Alpha turned to fly away, seeing that he was outnumbered. "Okay! I'll go look for shiny Chaos dealies!" he said as he escaped! "What!? He's looking for the same thing we are?" Rouge stammered. Vector shrugged. "Yeah, seems Eggman's team up with Despair's just a ruse." he said. "Yeah... Nice deduction... How are you here!?" Punchy asked. "Oh! Uh... heh heh... A detective's got his secrets..." he replied. "You get captured or something?" Copter wondered. Vector frowned. "Well, anyway, I tracked you guys down! Why don't we work together to solve what these Despair goons are up to?" he suggested. Punchy shrugged. "What's one more goofball wandering with us? I'm sure we won't look AT ALL suspicious..." he mumbled.

Continuing their exploration, they tried to be as inconspicuous as possible. If Violet could wander around out of uniform and not get attacked, maybe they could pull it off, too. With Covenant of Despair agents running to and fro searching for the intruders, Copter and Punchy tried to keep a similarly urgent expression. They were passing by what appeared to be a shooting range used to train new recruits when Corky the frog stopped them. "Oi... You ain't got uniforms! Wait a mo, I know dat bat gal! She's dat lady what works fer GUN!" he shouted, whipping his tongue into the shooting range and pulling out a gun, which he quickly took into his hand and pointed at Rouge! "Why'd I have to be so glamorous? Fame isn't such a good thing for a spy..." she sighed. Before Corky could shoot, she flew out of the way, swooping down and kicking the gun aside! "Hey! I need backup here, putzes!!" Corky yelled, getting attention from several Despair agents of varying species. "Well, there goes stealth." Copter sighed, "This way guys! Chaos Whirlwind!" His chaotic wind knocked several uniformed animals over, giving them an escape route! "Great! Get a head start, guys!" Vector shouted, turning to face the advancing enemies as Punchy, Copter and Rouge ran ahead. "Remember me in song, fellas..." Vector grinned, vocalizing loudly and making the Despair agents clutch their ears in agony from his generally terrible singing voice. "Hm, some guys just got no taste." he scoffed, running off to join the others. "Reminds me of my Spagonian Idol audition..." Corky groaned.

Entering a room with small pools of water in the corners, they found the white Chaos Emerald sitting on the floor. "Beautiful! I was hoping to find an emerald stashed here!" Rouge grinned. Suddenly, Illusi stepped in front of the emerald! "Hello, Dark One... Seems your darkness is getting stronger." he said. "Yo, Illusi." Copter waved. "You here to kill me again!?" Punchy growled. "...Wait, WHAT!?" Copter gasped. Illusi shrugged. "Let's call this a wager... Pass my little test, and you get the Chaos Emerald. Fail, and... well, you don't." he sneered, vanishing. "Hey, wait! What test? Where'd he go??" Vector stammered. Suddenly, the water in the pools started to churn, and the room rapidly began to flood! "Ha! It's illusion water! We can't drow--" Punchy muttered, only to start choking as the water covered his face! He immediately jumped to the surface to take a breath, but was pulled under quickly by a big, red eel! "What's this, a sea Wrongo!?" Punchy thought, struggling to get free. Looking around, he could see that the others were being assaulted by similar eel creatures. As Vector tried to swim away from them, they blew fire at him! "Huh?? Fire underwater!? Oh... Illusions..." Vector grumbled. As Punchy struggled, he thought about using the Despair Seal, but he remembered that this was one of Illusi's tests. "These things probably feed on darkness... Dang, where's Rainbow when I need her?" he thought. Rouge struggled free of the eels attacking her and jumped out of the water, flying above in what limited airspace the room still possessed. "All right... How do I grab that emerald...?" she muttered, only to have to avoid fire that the eels blew at her! "Argh! Someone get rid of these things!" she yelled. Punchy shut his eyes and tried to think. "Just illusions... They're just illusions... Hmm..." With his eyes shut, he couldn't feel anything but the water. He kicked his legs, and slipped right through the eel's grip! "Must be tough, not existing!" he grinned, swimming straight for the emerald while the eel tried to untangle itself! The other eels tried to blow fire at him to stop him, so Punchy tried to pick up the pace... He felt a wave of heat around him as he grabbed the emerald, and suddenly the illusions all vanished! The only water in the room was once again in the small pools, and Illusi stood at the doorway with crossed arms. "When I catch you... I will not be as forgiving as this illusion of me..." he said, vanishing as the other illusions did. The group took a moment to catch their breath, but they couldn't waste too much time. The Chaos Boots were still in the castle somewhere!

To be continued...

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment