Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 38 - Rage of the Deathbringer

Knuckles battles mysterious new foes bent on stealing the Master Emerald!

Meanwhile, Punchy and Rainbow have discovered Rainbow's sister... But is she an enemy?

Chapter 38 - Rage of the Deathbringer

Chapter 38 - Rage of the Deathbringer
GeneX - Knuckles the Echidna
Chapter 38 - Rage of the Deathbringer
Stage 21(Hero 11) - Shadow Arcangel
Boss 21 - The Deathbringer

Note: Sonic the Hedgehog and related characters are (c) SEGA and
Sonic Team. You knew that, right?
GeneX and related fanchars are (c) 2BIT (TheGreatGator), the author.

The story thus far:
Needing a ride out of the Forest of Dreams, Knuckles, Shadow and Gemini joined Bucky on Shadow Arcangel. In the absence of Team GeneX, Team Chaotix was working for him on the ship, since he'd hired them for a case anyway. Eggman's Cloud Carnival fleet was on the Arcangel's tail, though Eggman claimed it was under Despair's control. The group would have to go to the Arcangel's sky deck to man its gun turrets and fight back! After they left, Bucky found out that the voice of Nevin Crimm wasn't what it appeared to be, and this caused the Lost Ones aboard the ship to start becoming active. At the sky deck, the group encountered the real "Nevin Crimm", the incomplete form of Losipher! They fought with him, but the slimy creature was soon chased off by a powerful blast from Dr. Eggman! This blast was powered by five Chaos Emeralds, including the ones Knuckles lost at Pumpkin Hill!
Now, on to the next chapter!


Knuckles stared up at Eggman suspiciously. "I found those Emeralds, but then that crazy griffin came out of nowhere and stole them. Where'd you get them!?" he repeated, as though for the benefit of someone just tuning in. Eggman leaned against the control panel of his Egg Mobile, tenting his fingers. "Where INDEED...... Oh, fine, I borrowed them from Bucky. They were just lying around. Someone should put 'em to use." he explained. Knuckles, Vector and Shadow stood shaking their heads, each looking quite displeased and distrustful. "What!? J-just so we can get out of this mess! I give you my solemn vow that I will return the emeralds just as soon as I retrieve my fleet! C'mon, all I got here is an Egg Mobile!" he stammered. Charmy flitted over beside Vector. "Yeah, we heard your promises before! What happened to our money from that job you tricked us into doing!?" he snapped. "Check's in the mail! The postal service hates me!" Eggman growled. Gemini rolled her eyes. "We're wasting time. Meanwhile that fleet is closing in on us and LOSIPHER is loose on the ship!" she pointed out. Shadow nodded. "We'd better split up to get to those turrets before we start getting shot at." he reasoned. Knuckles shrugged. "Fine. C'mon Vector. Charmy." he said, heading off with the bulk of Team Chaotix. Shadow turned to Metal Sonic. "Come if you want... I'd like to keep my eye on you..." he said. "{Mission: Surveille Shadow. Warning: Eggman forces now hostile.}" flashed briefly on Metal Sonic's monitor. "I'll... proceed alone... then..." Eggman said awkwardly, "So nice having FRIENDS! GO TEAM!" he added as the others walked off in opposite directions. He smirked to himself and headed for the front of the ship. Moments later, a winged being landed where the groups had been moments before. It was the Deathbringer. "The other echidna IS here... The Doomsayer was right!" it murmured, surveying the area. "What exactly is going on? ...Already the Doomsayer's vagueness has made things difficult for me... I must tread carefully or risk triggering events more dire than I hope to prevent..." it said, taking to the sky.


Knuckles, Charmy and Vector made their way along one of the ship's wings, careful not to fall, as the wings really had not been designed to be walked on. "Who built this crazy ship, a gang of sadistic fairies??" Knuckles growled. "That'd explain why Charmy's having an easier time heading for the turret than us..." Vector said. The poor footing was going to be a problem, as more of Eggman's robots flew ahead from Cloud Carnival! Knuckles recognized the familiar design of the Cop Speeder robots, only their cars were designed more like bumper cars. "Eggman sure went all-in with this carnival theme, huh?" he muttered, weaving to avoid the speeders as they tried to ram him! "I'll get 'em!" Charmy said, flying after the robots, but finding them too fast for him to catch. Knuckles and Vector braced themselves as the robots came at them again, but then they stopped short! "...Huh??" Knuckles mumbled. Talon the griffin came flapping over, holding his hand out to the robots. "I've got them!" he said, flicking his wrist before the robots went soaring away! He then landed ahead of them, walking to the gun turret in front of them. "Uh... Thanks, but... WHO'S SIDE ARE YOU ON!?" Knuckles shouted. Talon stopped at the turret and turned around. "...Bucky's side. Sorry about before, by the way. We really didn't want Eggman OR Despair to have the Chaos Emeralds... Just didn't seem like a good idea." he said. Knuckles nodded. "So... You were spying on me? Well... You're just lucky it all worked out...sorta." he said. "Bucky had us spying on everyone... He likes to know what's going on, I guess." Talon shrugged. "...A normal person watches the news!" Vector grumbled. "You're one to talk, detective!" Talon said wryly, turning to the turret, "I'll handle this one. You guys... head for more stable ground." he suggested. "You got a deal!" Knuckles sighed, turning back. "What!? We're letting him off that easy!? But we totally had those robots until HE showed us up!!" Charmy babbled as they walked off. Once their backs were turned, Carrie appeared next to Talon. "Sure you know how to work this thing?" she asked. "Um... No. Hehe..." he chuckled.


Shadow, Gemini and Metal Sonic were crossing the ship's other wing, joined by Espio, who had turned over the ship's controls to Spiny. This group was a bit more sure-footed than Knuckles and Vector, which was a good thing, since a hot air balloon from Cloud Carnival had brought brightly painted Egg Pawns and Motobugs to the ship to do battle with them. While they were occupied battling the robots, Lucky the cat was sneaking around from the rear, looking for an opening to join the struggle himself. He crept close to a Motobug, making a fist. "Dumb robot! Take this!" he growled, punching it hard, only to squeal in pain and jump up and down shaking his injured hand. "Meee-yow!! That armor's hard!!" he yelled. Shadow noticed what was happening and jumped to the Motobug, kicking it aside with ease. "Go back inside, kid! You'll only be in the way!" he shouted, returning his attention to the remaining robots. "But I..." Lucky stammered. Gemini appeared in front of him and erected a magical shield, blocking a flurry of lasers from the Egg Pawns across from them. "I'm afraid Shadow's right! Not all of us are cut out to be fighters." she said. Metal Sonic tore through the remaining robots in a frenzy of electrified homing attacks, and Lucky realized there really was no place for him among these seasoned battlers. "Fine... I'll head back... All by myself..." he said sadly. Gemini watched him go and frowned. "I feel bad. He means well." she said. "That won't mean a thing when he's dead." Shadow said sternly. Espio hurried ahead to the gun turret and looked it over. "I think I can figure this thing out... Can't be harder than the ship itself. You can all look for the remaining turrets." he said. Shadow nodded. "You've got the map in your head. Lead the way, Metal Sonic." he requested. As they continued on their way, they were unaware that Lucky was in fact still trailing them, using the strange metallic "torches" erected all over the ship to hide as he followed them. "...I can't stay cooped up in my room anymore. I need to do SOMETHING... Even if I'm not a fighter..." he said to himself.

Knuckles, Shadow, Gemini, Vector, Charmy and Metal Sonic all met up as they arrived at the forward gun turrets, where they found Dr. Eggman busy working on "automating" them. "Are those guns going to be ready before your fleet starts firing on us?" Knuckles asked. "Patience! Genius takes time! Anyway, if you got someone manning the other turrets, they oughta hold us for now." Eggman said. Metal Sonic stepped over to assist Eggman, leaving the others to watch the fleet ominously gaining on them. "This better work... I don't wanna be in a big-flying-ship crash! ...again!" Charmy said. Suddenly, the Deathbringer dropped down among the group, spinning and kicking several of them aside so that it was left standing face to face with Knuckles! "What in the... Doomsayer??" Knuckles stammered. "Far worse. I am the Deathbringer! Knuckles the echidna... Your presence on this vessel is an ominous sign. It heralds a tragedy that I refuse to allow!" it shouted. Knuckles looked at the Deathbringer awkwardly. "Um... Okaaay... Thanks for the heads-up. I definitely don't want to be causing any tragedies... Got any other details for me?" he asked. "Chaos Control!!" Shadow moved quickly, pulling Knuckles out of the path of the killing blast that the Deathbringer launched at the unsuspecting echidna! "The Deathbringer doesn't talk!" he warned. "Yeah... seems like it." Knuckles realized. "You just... tried to kill him!!" Gemini gasped. Eggman grinned mischievously from his work at the turrets. "Isn't this an interesting turn of events..." he thought. The Deathbringer flapped up above the group and pointed at Knuckles. "I am here to end his life. No one else need be harmed... But if you get in my way, you will pay the price! To alter the future, great costs must be paid. Now, prepare to pay that price!" it shouted.

Shadow stood between the Deathbringer and Knuckles. "...You've killed enough people. It's time you answered for it! And you're going to give me a few answers while you're at it!" he shouted. The Deathbringer seemed unmoved by his words. "You are a nuisance, Ultimate Life Form. You should learn to stay out of matters that don't concern you." it said. Knuckles raised his fists. "Whatever! I'll take you on with or without Shadow! Just come down from there and face me!" he yelled. The Deathbringer swooped down, forcing Shadow and Knuckles into action! Vector, Charmy and Gemini were about ready to step in as well, when Lospecter floated in front of them. "So, it's you! You've become a real pesky witch, fennec! Now Losipher's mopier than usual, and it's... well, maybe not ALL your fault, but I'm blaming you!" he growled. "What's Losipher even doing here!?" Gemini shouted. Lospecter crossed his arms. "What? How 'bout what are YOU doing here! I can stash my secret weapon wherever I want!" he snarled, "And your tone is getting on my nerves now. I'm not even gonna waste cards on you. You shouldn't have barged aboard here!" he said, snapping his ghostly fingers. Lospirits rose up through the floor, their ghostly bodies able to pass right through it! "Hmm... The more solid guys might be a while... Maybe one card will help us pass the time." Lospecter said, drawing from his deck, and then using his card to zap the lospirits with lightning, electrifying them! "...That doesn't quite seem fair..." Vector muttered. "They're all yours, big guy!" Charmy grinned, pushing him forward. "Gee, thanks..." he muttered. Metal Sonic glanced over, observing the struggles unfolding. "{Threat level: Indigo. Action advised...}" his monitor read. Eggman noticed this and knocked on his metallic head. "We're not the target of those creatures. Stay focused! If this situation is to work out in my favor, timing is key!" he said. Charmy and Vector worked fast on "Plan A" of battling the Lost Ones. Charmy was bashing a drum, while Vector got out a microphone and started belting his particular brand of "music." Lospecter held his head, but the lospirits just stared at him. "...I knew this wouldn't work without Espio..." he grumbled.

Shadow circled around the Deathbringer, hitting it with Chaos Spears in an effort to slow the creature down. It stayed airborn, evading some of the spears, but keeping most of its focus on Knuckles. "Your friend is of little consequence to me! I will not fail to eliminate you!" it shouted. Knuckles evaded a few of the Deathbringer's killing blasts, but with the dark being flying out of reach and seeming unfazed by Shadow's attacks, this felt more like an execution than a fight. Fortunately, they still had one ally that wasn't otherwise occupied. Fred the fennec warped onto the scene, holding some glittering objects in his hands. "I had a feeling you all would be in trouble long about now. Knuckles! Catch these!" he said, tossing the objects to the red echidna. Knuckles dove to catch the objects, while Shadow warped in front of him to block the Deathbringer's shot. "You can try those blasts on me... If you think I can be killed so easily!" he growled. Knuckles examined what he'd caught and gasped. "These are... the Chaos Gauntlets!! How...?" he muttered. "I found them aboard the ship before Eggman could. You must use their power now!" Fred said, warping back below the deck. Knuckles had a look of uncertainty as he slipped them on over his gloves. "I guess they can't be worse than those playing cards..." he said. The Deathbringer blasted Shadow aside, leaving him injured and weak. "No more interference! Prepare for your end!" it yelled. As a killing bolt tore toward Knuckles, he acted on instinct, and slammed his gauntlet-armored fist straight into it! The bolt bounced right back, forcing the Deathbringer to dodge its own attack! "You... DARE!?" it growled. "That was pretty sweet! Let's see if these things can do anything else..." Knuckles smirked. He charged at the Deathbringer, swatting aside the creature's blasts as he approached, and when he was close he hurled a punch in its general direction! A surge of energy came from the Chaos Gauntlet, and it sent his punch soaring into the air as a projectile of light! The Deathbringer was knocked back, but more angered than injured. "Let's see you take... THIS!!!" it roared, unloading a frenzy of blasts straight at Knuckles!

Using the Chaos Gauntlets as shields, Knuckles survived the onslaught, but was knocked around the roof as the Deathbringer's furious assault followed him! He finally landed at a computer console near where Eggman had been working, just as the Deathbringer stopped to take a breather. Eggman had retreated a bit to avoid being caught in the blasts, even hopping into his Egg Mobile. "Whew... Knuckles, while you're down there, be a dear and push that flashing button, will you?" he asked, wiping some sweat from his brow. Knuckles glanced at the computer console briefly. "Well... if it'll start the guns up, couldn't hurt..." he said, pushing the button quickly. The Deathbringer was about to launch another attack on Knuckles, when it found itself jolted by lightning from behind! "If you are here to bring death... Get OFF my ship!!" growled Bucky, glaring at the Deathbringer as the weapon systems whirred to life. Eggman started chuckling softly, which soon crescendoed into triumphant laughter as the guns turned around and fired upon Lospecter and the Deathbringer, startling them into retreating! Lospecter dove down into the ship, while the Deathbringer flew up out of range. However, the guns didn't follow it, they stayed trained on Knuckles, Gemini, Vector, Charmy and Bucky. "Thanks for giving me access to your weapon systems! And coming out here, too! Now I can hold all of you hostage!" Eggman sneered. Bucky crossed his arms. "Really? To what end?" he asked. Eggman pointed at him. "YOU, Dr. Stein! You're coming on a little trip to Demon Island with me, along with these Chaos Emeralds! I can strike a bargain with Despair's leader, which in turn could prove most beneficial to me..." he said. Bucky nodded. "That story about your ships was a ruse, of course. But what makes you think I'll just go with you? You don't have THAT much of an advantage..." he said. Metal Sonic then emerged from behind Bucky, forcing Lucky into the line of fire! "Ouch! Owww! Stop that!" the cat grumbled. "You place a bit more value on your experiments than you do on Shadow and Knuckles, don't you?" Eggman sneered. Bucky had a look of hopelessness on his face. "You... you wouldn't..." he stammered. Eggman grinned. "The guns are in Metal Sonic's control. I give the order, and your experiment count drops...maybe to a more manageable number!" he said. "I... discussed creating a cat... with Hope... she would have thought of him as a son... I can't let him die...!" Bucky stammered, stepping forward with his hands up. The Deathbringer seemed enraged by this turn of events, and fired a blast at the Egg Mobile, only to find it shielded with the power of the five Chaos Emeralds! "Ha! I don't care how strong you are, you're no match for five emeralds! All aboard, Bucky!" Eggman said, taking Bucky and Metal Sonic aboard his Egg Mobile before beginning his escape from the Arcangel. "...Eggman!!!" Knuckles shouted, "You made me press that button, but I will NOT be defined by your tricks!! You hear me!!" he yelled. "Go ahead and keep the gauntlets! Knowing where they are might prove useful to me later!" Eggman shouted back, laughing.

The Deathbringer stood on the ship, seeming distant. Gemini was busy casting healing magic on Shadow, despite his protests of not needing it, and Espio joined Charmy and Vector, discussing what they should do with their client captured. Lucky sat nearby, moping. Knuckles had taken off the Chaos Gauntlets and was staring at them, feeling somewhat useless. Suddenly, rain pelted the Arcangel, and the Doomsayer stepped to the group. The Deathbringer spun around, clenching its fists. "Your vagueness cost me time! If you had informed me better from the start, I could have prevented things before they progressed this far!!" it yelled. The Doomsayer stared blankly. "Do not presume yourself more special than the fox or the echidna just because you wear a black robe. You receive no more prophecy than I choose to unveil." he stated. "Some prophecy you gave me! I had what, all of two minutes to prepare!!" Knuckles complained. "My warning was only of the end of the world." the Doomsayer hissed, "It is nearer than ever now. Should the Agents of Despair complete their dark designs... NONE SHALL SURVIVE!!!" With strikes of lightning, the Doomsayer vanished, along with the Deathbringer. Shadow climbed to his feet unsteadily. "You heard him. We've got to get to their island... and catch the doctor while we're at it." he said. Vector nodded. "C'mon, boys! Let's get this ship on course!" he said, leading Espio and Charmy away. Knuckles tucked the Chaos Gauntlets under his arm and followed after them. "I guess... we're in command of Shadow Arcangel. Let's hope Spiny takes that well." he muttered. It was finally time to take the fight to the Covenant of Despair, but while they seemingly held all the cards, would there be any way to stop them?

To be continued...

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment