Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 2 - Festival of Romance

A series of one-shot stories set in the GeneX universe. Featuring episodes centered around various characters, rather than following any particular hero.

Chapter 2 - Festival of Romance

Chapter 2 - Festival of Romance
GeneX - The Series
Episode 2 - Festival of Romance

Note: Sonic the Hedgehog and related characters are (c) SEGA and
Sonic Team. You knew that, right?
GeneX and related fanchars are (c) 2BIT (TheGreatGator), the author.


The story thus far:
Another year had passed, and a new year was in full swing. Early every year, a festival is held in the United Federation, celebrating love and finding that special someone. It is known as the Festival of Romance. It originated in a place called Troblusk City, but since the city has declined into a place of crime and depravity, the festival gradually found its way to the more romantic locale of Station Square. Our story begins as a young hedgehog dreams of spending the festival with the hero of her dreams...
Now, on to the episode!


Amy sighed dreamily as she walked along the streets of Station Square, looking at the decorations that had been set up for the Festival of Romance. It was a lot like a certain other holiday, with red hearts and red and pink streamers set up here and there, and they also featured Hero Chao decorations as well as mannequins resembling the fabled angelic Divines, which had come to be associated with romance as well. As Amy walked along, she was greeted by Cream. "Good morning, Amy! ...Huh? Anyone home?" Cream asked, since Amy didn't immediately acknowledge her. "Hm? Oh, hi, Cream... I was just thinking about the festival coming up... You think Sonic will be in town for it? He can be so scatterbrained sometimes... Maybe he forgot!" she gasped. Cream smiled. "You could always ask Tails. Maybe he could find Sonic for you..." she suggested. Amy sighed. "Aw, no one can find Sonic. I thought SPOT was a great invention at first, then I found out Sonic has to be in range for that dumb robot to detect him... As if it could ever catch him." she grumbled. Suddenly, Amy jumped as a loud voice spoke from behind her. "Hey, it's Pinky! Hi, Pinky!" She turned around to see Rainbow the echidna, who was smiling, though they really weren't on such good terms. "Hey, you're that goofy echidna who was working with Eggman along with the experiments!" Amy grumbled. Rainbow looked confused. "Huh? Oh, haven't I introduced myself? I'm Rainbow! Sorry, Pinky!" she said. "It's AMY! Yeesh..." Amy growled. "Maybe she didn't know your name either... My name is Cream and this is my friend Cheese!" Cream said, holding her Chao friend in her arms as he chirped cheerfully. Rainbow waved to them. "Nice to meet ya, Hoppy!" she said, prompting Amy and Cream to both glance at each other awkwardly. "Ummm... Do you want something?" Amy asked. Rainbow giggled. "No, I'm just being friendly. Hey, so that big festival's coming up again! I guess we'd all better go make plans, huh?" she said. Amy crossed her arms. "Hmph! Well it just so happens, I KNOW who I'm gonna take! Sonic and I are gonna have the best time ever!" she said, "I guess you're going with that green echidna...?" she asked, somewhat uninterestedly. Rainbow blushed slightly at the idea. "Huh? One? No, I was thinking of something else... Hey, isn't it kinda weird that it's girl-ask-boy around here all the time?" she stammered, trying to change the subject. Cream shrugged. "I don't mind. I think it's kind of cute that the boys around here are so shy." she giggled as Cheese giggled with her. Amy glanced at her. "Cream...? Are you... interested in boys at your age?" she murmured. Cream blushed a little. "Huh...? Um... A lot of my friends are boys. Is that weird?" she asked. Rainbow shrugged. "I dunno. Well, I gotta go! Later Pinky and Hoppy!" she said, hurrying off. Amy glanced at Cream. "Hmmm... Well, I gotta get going, too... If you were thinking about taking a date to the festival, maybe you should ask your mom first, Cream. Bye!" she said before rushing off. The festival would be eventful...she hoped.


Sonic was making one of his occasional visits to Tails's Workshop to see what was going on while he had been away on his journeys. Tails quickly filled him in on what time of year it was. "WHAT!? It's Romance Festival time!? Shoot, I'd better bail before Amy catches me around here and drags me over there for the week!" he stammered. Tails scratched his head. "The festival's only three days..." he said. Sonic gasped. "She LIED to me that year! But then... how...? That was really elaborate..." he muttered. "She hired Team Chaotix to run the Chili Dog stand to keep you from fleeing." Tails explained. Sonic scratched his head. "I thought that lizard looked familiar... It was Espio! With a moustache and a sombrero!" he growled. Just then, there was a knock at the door. "Don't answer it, Tails! It could be Amy!" he yelped. Tails sighed. "I'm not getting in the middle of this, Sonic. Last time I did Amy wrecked the Tornado 5." he said. Sonic ran to the next room to hide, but as Tails opened the door, Cream came inside! "Hi, Tails! How are you?" she asked. "Oh, hi, Cream! I'm great! I was just talking to... Um... The wall, I guess..." he muttered. Cream looked into the room slyly. "Sonic! Amy's looking for you!" she shouted. "Gah!! How'd she know I was back here!?" Sonic yelped. Tails chuckled. "Thanks for that! I hate being in the middle of those two." he said. Cream nodded. "I know the feeling." she said. Sonic came out from hiding and crossed his arms. "OK, so you know I'm here... What's it gonna take to keep this quiet from Amy?" he asked. "I don't think that'll be possible." Cream said. Just then, Amy pushed past her and Tails and charged into the room, throwing her arms around Sonic! "There you are!! I knew I'd find you before it was too late!!" she cheered. Sonic struggled for a second, but then collapsed to the ground in a heap, leaving Amy standing in shock. "Oh! The power of my love overwhelmed him!" she gasped. Tails and Cream both chuckled awkwardly, glancing at each other.


At the Hidden Ruins beneath Station Square, Punchy watched Rainbow running to and fro anxiously, getting ready for something. She kept brushing her multicolored quills and going through her closet full of identical green dresses, trying to pick one for an occasion. He scratched his head and whimpered. "I sure hope this has nothing to do with me... Um... Rainbow? What's going on?" he asked her. Rainbow glanced at him. "Eeek! Outta my room, One! I might be trying on clothes! I have a date coming up... OOOPS!!" she shouted loudly, realizing something, "I forgot to invite him! Silly me! How can I have a date with no date!" she giggled, rushing out of her room. Punchy sighed. "Well, apparently it's not me..." he said. Suddenly, she grabbed his arm and dragged him off! "C'mon, One!" she shouted. "Argh!! What do you need me for!?" he stammered. Rainbow dragged him to the entrance hall of her temple home and released his arm. "OK, One, stay there... Just stay... Ahem... HEY!! MOUSY!!" she shouted loudly. Punchy covered his ears. "Gaaah! Huh?? You mean... Illusi?!" he mumbled. Rainbow continued shouting. "WE BOTH KNOW YOU'RE WATCHING ONE! COME OVER HERE A SEC, OK?" she screamed. Punchy stared at her like she was insane. "You really think that'll work!?" he grumbled. Suddenly, Illusi the shrew appeared in the middle of the room in a puff of smoke, startling Punchy into falling onto his back! "AAARGH!! I'm... I'm okay... Slight heart attack... But keep freaking me out, you two." he groaned. Illusi crossed his arms and glanced at Rainbow. "For the record... I am not ALWAYS watching the Dark One. I do have a life outside of it." he said. Rainbow giggled. "But I got your attention, didn't I?" she grinned. Illusi frowned. "Yessss... Um... Why?" he asked. Rainbow blushed, looking at the ground and clasping her hands behind her back shyly. "Well, um... I was thinking... There's this romantic festival thing going on in the city soon, and um... Would-you-be-my-date-Mousy?" she asked really fast. Punchy had just stood up, but then fell over again, and Illusi was taken aback as well. "Huh... M-me!?" he gasped, "You... want to go out... with me??" he asked, dumbfounded. Rainbow nodded shyly. "I... I think you're cute... And I love your cape." she giggled softly. Illusi looked a bit nervous. "I think I'm a little old for... Um..." he glanced at her and saw her giving him the cutest puppy dog eyes. "Gah!! Um... Oh... All... right..." he said. "Yaaaay! Thanks, Mousy! It's gonna be great!" Rainbow cheered, running off to resume getting ready. Punchy stood up again and glared at Illusi. "Hey... how old ARE you?" he asked. Illusi looked thoughtful. "Carry the one... adjust for dimensional time zones... hmmm... does time spent in dream worlds count, since you don't age?" he muttered. Punchy groaned. "Enough! I'm sorry I asked... I'll come up with an appropriate response when my heart starts again..." he grumbled.


Soon, the first day of the festival arrived. There were a number of activities for couples to participate in, including games, rides, romantic outdoor meals by the beach, and of course, dances. It was sort of like a carnival with a romance theme. Somehow, Tails and Cream had found themselves escorting Sonic to Station Square, making sure he'd show up so Amy wouldn't be disappointed. "It won't be so bad, Mr. Sonic. Really, sometimes you're TOO shy." Cream grumbled. Sonic looked around uncomfortably, but his eyes soon stopped wandering as he caught sight of Amy. She was dressed up in a long, red dress that covered her legs, and had a small red bow tied in her hair beside her left ear. She looked nice, and Sonic at least seemed to take notice. "I'm ready, Sonic! So, what shall we do first?" she smiled. Sonic glanced at Tails and Cream nervously. "Have fun, Sonic!" Tails smirked. Sonic gulped, turned around, and started off with Amy. She pulled him over to the Ferris wheel that had been set up for the festival, and gazing out the window during the ride, Sonic managed to calm himself a little. "Well, at least she's not choking me..." he thought, noticing how gently Amy cuddled up to him while they rode the Ferris wheel. After the ride, they started trying out some games, but all too soon, the festivities were interrupted by a scream! "Get away! Get awaaaaay!!" Sonic glanced at the screams to see Mia the cat backing away from a familiar blue and green robot, Alpha! Oddly, Alpha was holding a heart-shaped box of chocolates. "What? Allergic to shellfish? Well, ya never know what you're gonna get!" the robot said. Mia nodded. "Yeeeeah... Because you look ABSOLUTELY nothing like your picture! I'm never dating over the internet again!!" she shrieked. Amy frowned. "Oh, no... Come on, Sonic... We don't have to get involved in this... We were having such a... beautiful tiiiiiiime!!!" she wailed, tearing up. Sonic growled. "That robot could go berserk any moment and hurt lots of people! I have to do something!" he reasoned, running off! Amy sniffled, watching him go. "I... I know... Grrrr... EGGMAN!!! YOU ALWAYS TEAR MY SONIC AWAY FROM ME!!!" she snarled furiously. Sonic ran up to Alpha and waved. "Hey, buddy. Blind date?" he asked. "You don't know the half of it..." Mia said, "Wait, SONIC!? Will you be my date? Pretty pleeeease?!" she asked giddily. Amy came up behind her with her Piko Piko Hammer. "He's TAKEN..." she growled. "Huh? Oh... rats..." Mia whimpered awkwardly.

Just then, lasers shot throughout the festival, causing the couples to flee in panic! Dr. Eggman flew into the area with an Egg Mobile ringed with laser turrets. "THERE you are, Alpha!! How dare you wander off on me! You're getting to be a security risk!" he shouted. Alpha turned around. "Agh! Dad! I had a date! And she broke my heart! Can I have a cookie?" he asked. Sonic tapped his foot and crossed his arms. "Well, Eggman, you just broke up the festival. I don't know whether to clobber you or thank you." he said, having really not been looking forward to the dance Amy was going to try to drag him to. Just then, he heard someone sobbing behind him. He turned around to see Amy, sitting on the ground holding her knees. Mia was sitting beside her and patting her head. "Chin up. There are still two days left. Maybe the damage will get fixed real quick and... you can try again on day three to spend time with your sweetie." she said. Amy just kept sobbing, and Sonic couldn't help feeling bad. Eggman, however, was only concerned with himself. "Alpha, when we get back, I'm refitting you with a new restraining mechanism. And don't you dare try to distract me from it this time!" he growled. "Can we order Chinese food for dinner?" Alpha asked. "Fine!" Eggman replied, "Wait, STOP THAT!! No randomness for 12 hours! Stay quiet!" he yelled. Sonic turned to Eggman. "Hey! Doc! I got a bone to pick with you!" he shouted. Eggman glared at him. "What do YOU want?" he said. "You made Amy cry!" he shouted, making Amy perk her head up. "Huh...? S-sonic...?" she gasped. Eggman scoffed. "Oooooh, I made her CRY! How diabolical! That's almost as bad as when I blew up half the moon! Grow up, Sonic!" he taunted. Sonic quickly jumped into action, bouncing off Alpha and launching a homing attack straight into the Egg Mobile! "Ouch!! You blue pest! Take this!" Eggman growled, firing lasers in every direction from the turrets on his vehicle! Amy and Mia hurried behind cover while Sonic gracefully ran between the shots, taunting Eggman while Alpha clapped for his skill. "Wheee! Dinner and a show! Wait, I missed dinner! Worst date ever! I'm breaking up with you!!!" he shouted, presumably to Mia. Sonic jumped into the air again and struck the Egg Mobile from below, frustrating Eggman further. "Rrrr... I didn't come equipped to deal with you right now... I'll cut my losses here. I'll just be satisfied with RUINING your day!" he said, sticking out his tongue. "Grrr!! THAT'S IT!!" shouted Amy, who ran out from her hiding spot and charged Alpha, jumping off his head in order to reach the Egg Mobile as it started to fly away! "Whaaa!? Amy???" Eggman gasped. "Stay away from me and my Sonic!!!" she yelled, smacking the Egg Mobile with her hammer hard and sending it soaring away like a baseball! "Yaaaaaaaaa!! You'll be sorry, hedgehoooooogs!!" Eggman shouted as he disappeared into the distance. "Hey! Wait for me, Santa!" Alpha yelped, chasing after him. Sonic looked around awkwardly for a moment, then nodded. "I better make sure everyone's OK after all those lasers going off. Later, Amy!" he said, taking off in a rush! Amy stared after him for a moment and then frowned. "The date's a disaster... As usual..." she sighed. Mia placed a hand on her shoulder. "I get the feeling he ran off just now because he didn't know what to do, not because he wanted to get away from you... If that at all helps." she said. Amy nodded. "Maybe next time..." she sighed.


The festival had been heavily damaged, but people still tried to celebrate in their own ways. On the second night of the festival, Rainbow had prepared for her date with Illusi. Considering her choice of clothing, she really didn't look much different than usual, but she had put a white flower in her hair and tied her ribbon into a fancy bow. Punchy took her aboveground to Station Square, having an uneasy look on his face the whole way. "I don't know about this, Rainbow. I think there's a... generation gap between you and Illusi..." he said. Rainbow chuckled. "Don't be silly, One. Besides, I'm a grown echidna and I can take care of myself!" she said. Punchy blinked a couple of times. "You ARE?!" he stammered. From her behavior, one often expected she was younger. Illusi appeared in a puff of smoke, dressed in a tuxedo and a black cape with a top hat. "Oh... I wasn't sure if this was formal or not, so I thought it best to overdress than underdress..." he said. Punchy rolled his eyes and hopped down the sewer hole leading to the Hidden Ruins. "I'm getting outta here before the cops spot me. Don't say I didn't warn ya!" he shouted. Illusi removed his hat, and it vanished into thin air. "Shall we, madam?" he said, offering his arm. Rainbow giggled and took his hand. "You don't have to be so formal, Mousy! We're friends, right?" she said. Illusi glanced around, feeling slightly embarrassed to be out in public like this, with her. "Um... So, where are we going?" he asked, blushing. Rainbow looked thoughtful. "Hmmm... I dunno. The festival was wrecked by Tubby or something. Kinda messes things up a bit. Maybe the burger shop is open?" she murmured. Illusi stared at her. "That's not very romantic, is it?" he pointed out, "I'm a bit overdressed for a place like that." he said. Rainbow giggled. "You'd stick out like a sore thumb, huh? I know! Let's go to Twinkle Park!" she suggested. "Um... Hmmm... Maybe I'd better get out of this suit regardless..." Illusi mumbled, snapping his fingers to dispel the illusionary suit, leaving only his cape. Rainbow chuckled. "Now, that's cheating!" she said. So, they went off to Twinkle Park's entrance, but were stopped at the gate. "Hey! Couples get in free, don't they? We're a couple!" Rainbow protested. The ticket and couple-scanning machine at the entrance wasn't letting them in. Illusi sighed. "It says CUTE couples get in free, Rainbow. Listen, I have to be honest with you... I really don't think we work. I dress up for a date, you wear that same green outfit you always wear. I like salad, you like burgers. I like a slow dance, you like amusement parks... we're pretty different. Honestly, Rainbow... I always thought you were better suited for the dark one... At least your differences might... balance out." he said, turning around. Rainbow turned to him. "Huh... Mousy... I..." she murmured sadly. Illusi didn't say a word. He simply vanished in a puff of smoke, leaving her alone. "Awww... That stunk... One was right..." she sighed. "Maybe... He'd like to go to... Twinkle Park...? Eh, we probably wouldn't get past the gate..." she muttered.


By the third day of the festival, people had attempted to put things back together to an extent, but managed only to restore a few of the game booths. Enthusiasm for the festival had dropped significantly simply out of fear that Dr. Eggman might come back, and only a few couples were out. Among those couples was Cream, who had taken Amy's advice and asked her mother if she could go. Now, she was out and walking with Tails by her side! They'd had some laughs while playing "cupid" for Sonic and Amy, so they decided to take a chance and go out together. "Seems like Eggman left a mess when he was here. Well, who needs a boring old dance, anyway? What should we do, Cream?" Tails asked. Cream looked at some of the game booths set up. "Want to see if we can win something?" she asked. "Let's go for it!" he replied. They hurried over to a booth that housed a sort of water gun shooting game, where you had to knock down metal Chao targets moving across the shooting range in the time limit. They could attempt the game as a team, so Tails handed the man some rings as payment and they each grabbed a water pistol. "Hmm... The trick is to aim a little ahead of the target..." Tails muttered, shooting carefully while Cream simply sprayed water all over the place. "There!! No there!! Ha ha!! I got one!!" she giggled. "Aaaah!! We're running out of time!" Tails gasped. Cream glanced at Tails mischievously. "Hmmm..." She then sprayed him with the water pistol, giggling as he yelped. "Yaaaah!! Real mature, Cream!" he grumbled. "Hee hee! You're a much easier target!" she chuckled. "Time's up!" the guy running the game said. He handed Tails a small stuffed Hero Chao as a consolation prize. "Well, close enough. Here you go, Cream... You shot me dead, so I can't take care of it." he said, chuckling. Cream accepted it and smiled. "Aww, I'm sorry. Maybe we can find a way to bring you back to life." she joked. They tried a few more games, and when they got tired they went for a walk on the nearby beach, Emerald Coast. "Thanks for coming, Tails. I had lots of fun." Cream smiled. Tails held her hand as they walked. "Of course I'd come, Cream. We're friends, right?" he said. Cream glanced at him somewhat uncertainly, like there was something on her mind. Tails noticed and looked around. "Hey, um... Cheese hasn't been with you all day. Did he get lost?" he asked. Suddenly, Cream wrapped her arms around Tails tightly, giving him a big hug! "Let's just sit here and watch the sunset and be happy, OK, Tails?" she asked. Tails looked startled at first, but slowly sat down with her and returned the embrace. "So... Cheese just stayed home, huh?" he mumbled. Cream sat in his arms, smiling and blushing. "I have to be home after sunset... I hope... we can do this again sometime, Tails..." she whispered. Tails watched the sunset silently, thinking about what had just happened. He cuddled the rabbit next to him and smiled. "Same time next year... maybe..." he sighed, "...if not sooner..."

Amy would renew her efforts to make Sonic notice her. Rainbow was content to let romance find her rather than pursue it from this point on. What of Tails and Cream? Their story is only just beginning. Where it will end, only time will tell.

Episode End!

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment