Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 6 - Planning

I dedicate this story to Eunice Vun, my friend and part-time editor, who inspired and helped me with ideas when I was stuck. Thanks a whole heap Eunice! Oh yes, and also Mr Gavin Marshall, known as Mr M, for pushing me to my greatest extent with word

Chapter 6 - Planning

Chapter 6 - Planning
Just as Tristan had said, a maid came in. She was short with pale skin and short black hair. Her eyes were dark and sad, a complete opposite of Rayne, but strangely familiar. She racked through her memories, trying to remember when she had seen this girl while the maid helped her bath, and dress in a silver bodice and green silk skirt, powdering her face until it was a light tan colour. Her hair was twisted into a tight knot at the back of her head and opal drops were attached to her ears and a chain around her neck. A picture flashed into her mind, of a silver raven flying above a laughing child’s head. As soon as she saw the vision, it was gone, and she was left wandering.

“Where have I seen you before…” she said.

She turned around to find that the maid had already gone.
Rayne looked into the mirror. A young 18 year old stared back at her, pointed ears delicately shown above her silver hair. Her eyes were filled with adventure and the determination to prove herself.
‘Who is this person?’ She thought, touching her painted lips and eyes. Who am I?

* * *

The room in which they ate was richly decorated with gold, silver and precious jewels. She sat on Rowan’s right side, and to her left was Tristan, who she had taken a great liking to, reminded of how Xavier had been so enthusiastic that very first time they had met. He had become remarkably cold towards her. Even though she sat opposite him, she barely got a word in from Rowan’s and Tristan’s questioning. She answered each politely, and when they had stopped, she was asked to dance with Rowan who was wearing silver and green robes to match her dress.
She could see Tristan talking to Xavier, who nodded absently, already taken to staring around the room. When their eyes met, Xavier looked away, seemingly interested in the carpet by the door at the far end of the room.
She excused herself after the last plates had been taken away, saying she needed to rest her sore leg.

“You must let me look at it one day,” Tristan insisted.

“Maybe tomorrow,” she said weakly. “Xavier, could you please escort me back to my chamber? I do not wish to get lost.”

He got up silently, his face void of all emotion.

“Ah yes, Rayne, we start to discuss your position tomorrow,” Rowan called after them.

Xavier and Rayne walked through the halls in silence, avoiding each other’s eyes.
When they had reached Rayne’s chamber, she remained outside, looking stonily at Xavier.

“What was all that about?” she hissed at him.

“What was all what about?” he asked, unable to find a look of bewilderment.

“You know perfectly what I mean. You’re jealous aren’t you?”

“Why should I be jealous?” he shouted indignantly.

“Because since I’ve come here, I’ve been most nicely taken care of by Rowan and Tristan, much more than you have done!” she cried. “And so what if I like them!” she said, lowering her voice. “Just because there is some… some… ‘Power’ competition between you and them, doesn’t mean that you have to ignore the whole lot of us!”

“I ignore you? What about me! You don’t have to ignore ME!” he yelled, a look on his face that she had never seen before. Anger. He turned on his heel and stormed away.
Rayne ran towards the door and yanked it open, closing it behind her and hearing the familiar click of the lock.
She put her ear to the cold wood to see if she could hear him, but no sound came through. She kicked the door in frustration, yelping as pain shot up her wounded leg.

“I really should let Tristan have a look at it,” she thought bitterly as she bathed and dressed into her night gown.

* * *

Xavier stomped back to the hall, fuming at Rayne. How could she say that? He thought as he reached the hall. He paused at the door, hearing voices from within. Rowan and Tristan’s of course, but there was a new voice.

“...got more power than any of us…strange girl…” that was Tristan.

“…I know how…easy to lure…better if she could walk…” Rowan.

“…those owls go everywhere…easy to catch though…wait till you’re done…” The stranger’s voice.

Could it be? No, Rowan was certainly not overflowing with good, but he wouldn’t be overflowing with evil either.
Xavier hesitated, and then entered.
Rowan and Tristan were talking to the burly guard that had opened the door when he and Rayne had first arrived.

“Ah! Xavier, we were just talking to Hugh about the dungeons. They’re getting a bit dirty, and we were discussing whether to clean them or not,” Tristan said quickly.

“Bit of a waste of time really. Leave them,” Xavier said, and then yawning widely, he excused himself.

The voices continued their hushed conversation.
He didn’t think on the subject, pushing what he had overheard to the back of his mind.

* * *

When Rayne woke, she found a note on her table asking for her to go to Tristan’s study when she had been attended to.
Impatiently, she dressed herself, finding that the powder on her face had not come off properly, staying the same dark tan colour as Xavier’s… She ignored this fact, and dressed in a white blouse and maroon skirt, pulling her bodice on with great difficulty. Eventually, she tried the door, and to her surprise, it opened. She limped out, having lost her staff in the room. The guard that had been talking to Rowan and Tristan stood waiting for her, though she did not know who he was.

“I have been asked to escort you to the High Mage’s study,” and he did so, leading her to a carved door, and waited outside.

She entered, and to her surprise, found herself in a room, much like her own, though it was crammed with books and scrolls.
Tristan sat writing at his desk, and looked up as she entered.

“Welcome Rayne. I have taken the liberty of researching about healing, and would like to examine your wound. It may seem that my room is a library, but I made a special effort to clean it best I could for you.”

He motioned for her to sit and she watched as he rummaged in a drawer, taking out two vials, one a murky brown colour, the other, a green like the one… she pushed this thought away as she poured out some of the brown content and rubbed it into her thigh.
Tristan went back to his writing, humming a tune quietly.
A cold sensation ran up her leg where she had rubbed it in. The pain that had bothered her was gone.

“Did it work?” Tristan asked hopefully once she had stood up, testing her healed leg.

“Yes, what was that?” she asked as she walked over to Tristan.

“Crushed rose, lavender and daisy petals picked on the full moon and stirred in mud for one day and three hours. Got it out of an old scroll I found in the college library.”

“I thank you sincerely,” Rayne said.

“Just remember to use the green vial every night until it runs out,” he added.

“How may I return the favour?” she asked, bending her knee to loosen the joints a bit more.

“May I escort you to Rowan’s chambers?” he asked.

Rayne smiled. “Of course, I would be honoured.”

They walked down the halls, Rayne almost walking as smoothly as a proper lady.
* * *

They entered Rowan’s chambers, already occupied by Rowan and Xavier. Rayne did not look at Xavier as she sat in between Rowan and Tristan.
Tristan stood and spoke first.

“Thank you Rayne and Xavier for attending this conference. The damage report is still small. Yuri has only attacked the Gretna’s Mill on the far east of Tavares, and we think Lang He and Charest have joined, for the reason that several farmers reported that the colours green and hue have joined white and madder. They have burnt 8 crops last count, and are camping in the Dark Forest, not far from here.”

“I have reason to believe there are other armies in that forest,” Xavier said idly, staring out the window.

Tristan and Rowan looked at him in mild surprise.

“On the way here, we went through that forest, and were attacked by an army in red and gold.”

Rayne was sure she saw Tristan and Rowan glance at each other.

“We shall look into that,” Rowan said eventually. “Thank you Xavier.”

The plans of battle went deeper, and to Rayne’s point of view, more sinister and sneaky. It was decided, or rather insisted, that she lead the large group of mages if it came to war. They talked for over an hour.
Eventually, Xavier escorted Rayne out, leaving Tristan and Rowan to talk as they requested. The guard, Hugh, did not follow, but slipped unnoticed into the room.
When at last Xavier and Rayne reached her chambers, they stood in silence outside her door.

“I’m sorry, about what I said-“Xavier started, but Rayne cut him off.

“Save your breath,” she said, mimicking their first meeting, and kissed his cheek.

Xavier stopped, and blushed.
When at last Rayne closed her door and it locked, Xavier went back to his own chambers, smiling like a child with a lollipop.

* * *

Rayne slept deeply, and did not stir as her door opened, neither did she wake at the muffled hoots of two owls. The door closed behind a tall, thin figure with hazel eyes.

* * *

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment