Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 7 - The Evilness of Betrayal

I dedicate this story to Eunice Vun, my friend and part-time editor, who inspired and helped me with ideas when I was stuck. Thanks a whole heap Eunice! Oh yes, and also Mr Gavin Marshall, known as Mr M, for pushing me to my greatest extent with word

Chapter 7 - The Evilness of Betrayal

Chapter 7 - The Evilness of Betrayal
The next morning, there was another note on Rayne’s table.

“Meet me in the aviary. The door is unlocked. Xavier.” she read aloud.

She dressed quickly in her white blouse and maroon skirt, forgetting to rub the green liquid from the vial on her leg.
She rushed out into the gardens, making her way along the paths.
When she came to the aviary, the door was unlocked, so she entered into the large jungle.

“Over here!” a voice called.

She followed it, wandering off the path into the thickest part of the aviary.
Tristan stood in the little clearing, grinning widely.

“Glad you could make it Rayne,” he said.

“What are you doing here?” she asked, looking around in confusion. ”Where is Xavier?”

“Locked in his room, sleeping and unable to get out,” his grin widened as he motioned with his hands to someone behind her, while he started to chant.

Hugh grabbed her round her middle, cupping his huge hand over her nose and mouth, making her unable to breathe.
She felt her body grow stiff. Her vision began to swim, and as Tristan finished his chant, she fell unconscious.

* * *

Xavier woke and dressed, wandering over to the door to have his morning stroll. The door was locked. He called for someone, but no one came. He tried to spell the door open, only to have his spell rebound and propel him into the wall.
He sat there, winded and gasping for breath. Why was it locked? He thought. Where was Rayne at this very moment?
Something was wrong.

* * *

Rayne was, in fact, right below Xavier, in a cell that seemed to feel like death. Only this was real, very real.
She pounded the walls and called for help, but was answered by silence.
Occasionally, Tristan or Rowan came down to put her back to sleep, telling her to shut her mouth or have it shut for her.
She was quiet after that. Rowan now came in to see her, coming into the cell, surveying her through stony eyes.

“That’s better. Nice and quiet,” he said mockingly.

Rayne lashed out at him, swearing and cursing him through gritted teeth.
She changed her hand to a claw, drawing blood from his cheek.

“Well, I’ll have to spell you from changing now, won’t I?” he hissed at her, dabbing his cheek where blood was now streaming freely.

The spell clamped around her like a body bind, and she lay sprawled on the floor, panting from trying to fight it.
She shivered as he left, the cold feeling of the spell adding to the throbbing in her leg.
So, she lay miserably, staring at the ceiling, when light footsteps drew her curiosity.

“Rayne…Sister…” a small voice called.

The vision of the child and the raven flew in her mind. She caught sight of a girl with black hair and pale skin, and the name in runes she had carved, long ago, came to her… Sahra.

“Sahra…is that really you?” Rayne breathed, unable to hold back the flood of tears in her eyes.

“Yes, but is that you Rayne?”

“Yes, it’s me sister. Help me, get me out,” Rayne cried as Sahra drew up to the bars of the cell.

“Will your mage friend come if I asked him?” Sahra asked inquiringly.

“Yes, Xavier! He will come, but Tristan said his door would be locked. Here, take this!” she called as Sahra made to leave.

She tugged a few of the silver hairs from her head, and with great difficulty that left her panting, handed them to Sahra through the bars.

“Take care, sister…”

* * *

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment